Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 42525 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #420 on: October 02, 2021, 12:42:52 AM »

I've heard from a number of reputable people that Blackout is a pretty good album, and the scores for it at music snob aggregators seem to confirm this.  I keep putting the album off myself, but I would imagine that prog nerds who are open to quality electronic pop music like Chvrches and such should probably consider at least evaluating it, putting aside judgements of past material at least temporarily.

Bloody love Chvrches, me. Will check it out.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #421 on: October 02, 2021, 08:53:34 AM »
Can it be, that you're a bit envious of all those that write catchy and successful tunes?

Or why else do you constantly  bitch about artists you don't understand/don't like/don't care about? Why not talk about the ones you like instead?

To be fair, he does bring up Metallica, which seems to be his favorite band, out of nowhere in almost every thread in which he posts, so that seems like an unfair question? ;) :P :lol

But, yeah, I don't get the need some have to constantly complain about artists they do not like.  99% of the (mostly) constructive criticism I post is about artists of whom I am a fan (the other 1% is directed at Kiss, who deserve derision :lol). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: October 02, 2021, 09:37:27 AM »
 :hat

Not a bitch. An observation.

In the music chat thread.

Not even the AC/DC thread.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #423 on: October 02, 2021, 01:32:10 PM »
Can it be, that you're a bit envious of all those that write catchy and successful tunes?

Or why else do you constantly  bitch about artists you don't understand/don't like/don't care about? Why not talk about the ones you like instead?

To be fair, he does bring up Metallica, which seems to be his favorite band, out of nowhere in almost every thread in which he posts, so that seems like an unfair question? ;) :P :lol

But, yeah, I don't get the need some have to constantly complain about artists they do not like.  99% of the (mostly) constructive criticism I post is about artists of whom I am a fan (the other 1% is directed at Kiss, who deserve derision :lol).

Bite me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: October 02, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »
I don't think i've ever once gone into a band specific thread exclusively to say THEY SUCK.

Secondly I hate when people insult others for their music taste.

Insult the artist sure not the person. That's just infantile.

And why should all chat be positive ?

I can't say I think that a lot of AC/DC sounds very similar indeed ? To the point of self parody ? Admittedly I do like a lot of their songs but I can still have

an opinion on their oeuvre.. Rock N Roll Train is a banger and Rock or Bust has an awesome main riff. The audio on the official video is amazing.

It sounds like it was recorded live in the studio but everything has so much punch and Judy clarity.

:coolio

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #425 on: October 03, 2021, 04:21:38 AM »

Well obviously. Anyone with an IQ in double figures chooses rock over pop.

people with single figure IQs choose " duh musix wot has the woooah woooah woooah "
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #426 on: October 03, 2021, 04:42:57 AM »

Well obviously. Anyone with an IQ in double figures chooses rock over pop.

people with single figure IQs choose " duh musix wot has the woooah woooah woooah "

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: October 03, 2021, 05:32:21 AM »
1. Learn to recognise an obvious joke.

2. Stop stalking me, seriously. Like - you just knew that post existed and where to find it ? Ok dude - if that's how you spend your day...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #428 on: October 03, 2021, 08:13:10 AM »

I've heard from a number of reputable people that Blackout is a pretty good album, and the scores for it at music snob aggregators seem to confirm this.  I keep putting the album off myself, but I would imagine that prog nerds who are open to quality electronic pop music like Chvrches and such should probably consider at least evaluating it, putting aside judgements of past material at least temporarily.

Bloody love Chvrches, me. Will check it out.

I suppose I should update now that I finally convinced myself to check it out.  First, mentioning Chvrches is in the context that it fortunately seems much more common now for prog-oriented fans to give some pop music a chance than a lot of the elitism that used to go on in past decades, and Chvrches seem to be one artist that appeals to prog fans for some reason.  But as I suspected and can now confirm, Britney Spears' Blackout definitely doesn't sound like Chvrches.  It's electronic-oriented pop as well, sure, but it's quite a different vibe, with more modern electroclash and R&B sonic aesthetics and less of the somewhat retro 80s synth-pop vibe that Chvrches tends to dabble with.  And as I worried, I still can't get into Britney's voice, whereas I find Lauren Mayberry's much more pleasant.  So while there's more creativity on a production level than some of her earlier material, this turns out to not really be my sort of thing.  Still, it might appeal to some, as it is certainly different from what she was originally known for at the beginning of her career. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #429 on: October 03, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »
Nice summary.

I didn't relate to the aesthetic of the Britney album. Unlistenable to me. Didn't resonate with a way I ever feel.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #432 on: October 08, 2021, 07:48:06 PM »
Out of respect, I took the time to read the article. He was on the ground floor at Def Jam. Really interesting. Not sure of the cause of death, but let's just say that 57 is a lot younger than it seemed when I was 20.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: October 11, 2021, 11:51:02 AM »
Bryan Adams has a new song out. His first on his new label.

I felt like UP was half-assed on purpose to get back at his previous label who demanded he do a covers album when he didn't want to.

Shine A Light was not bad. A lot better than UP anyways... But 11 was his last really good album. My fave is Waking Up The Neighbours.

I hope the next album is a nice long album like On A Day Like Today or 18 Til I Die. The last few have been a bit short.

I forgot Room Service. That was an alright album. If a bit soft.

Anyway - the new song is quite catchy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0caIWs0O9c < - - - - :)

Also he still sounds great for being nearly 61 !

+ Wiki says his next album is out in 2022. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2021, 07:34:47 AM »
Not to start a vax / no vax war here - but Eric Clapton is an active anti-vaxxer.

He's making anti-vax music now.

Glad I was never a fan of his music. He sounds like the stereotypical angry old english man.

Always found his music dull. Yes even Cream.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »
Not to start a vax / no vax war here - but Eric Clapton is an active anti-vaxxer.

Glad I was never a fan of his music. He sounds like the stereotypical angry old english man.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2021/10/11/rolling-stone-is-trying-to-cancel-eric-clapton-n1523029

So he's just another controversial musician that has controversy outside of their music related to their personal perceptions of life. It doesn't matter in the long run because humans have an odd obsession with idols and celebrities that people feel connected and think they know someone when in fact they don't, and when these expectations or their false image of that celebrity gets broken, they get upset like if that celebrity has forsaken them. This is why it's not beneficial to be worshipping celebrities or people of fame as if you know them personally because you do not.

Imagine if some of these "famously worshipped" celebrities did not die young, I guarantee some would have become controversial musicians like Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, or Roger Waters.

Better yet, what happened to Rage Against The Machine, you know raging against the machine. I find creating a political band to be very, very fragile and one small mis-step in your political views can cause your band to falter. And it's even funnier when your views now align with the establishment you are "raging against".

I don't care at all, because I listen to so much music that I do not care about the musician personally. I do not know them and I also do know many famous people will put up a persona that does not reflect their true persona. They'll project an image for the screen so they can distance their personal security from their public perceptions. Which is also why some people will create a stage name.

I find it fascinating how far people will get curious and how much they will want to know about their musican/celebrity/sports player/idol, to the point of stalking them as if you know everything about them.

That's my two cents on controversial musicians.

Edit: Here's a quote from the Rolling Stones Article from Clapton himself from the late 60's...

In the past, Clapton has been reluctant to voice his political views. As he told Rolling Stone in 1968, “What I’m doing now is just my way of thinking, but if it gets into a paper somewhere, people will say that what I’m saying is the way they ought to think. Which is wrong, because I’m only a musician. If they dig my music, that’s great, but they don’t have to know what’s going on in my head.”
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 09:06:18 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: October 12, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »

Neal Morse and Ritchie Blackmore are two of my favorite musicians.  If either one came out as "anti-vax" right now, it wouldn't change my appreciation of their music even one iota.  People are allowed to believe what they want to believe.   Not to suggest that certain lyrics won't make me uncomfortable, but still.

I saw REM five days after Bush's re-election in... what was that, 2004? - and Stipe was all "this is the darkest week of our lives" or something like that.  He got boo-ed (even though we're in a very blue state) but I'm like "okay, start the next song!".   It's no different than Ozzy screaming "Smoke it! Get high!".  I don't partake but if he does and he wants to sing about it, go for it!   

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #437 on: October 12, 2021, 02:14:47 PM »
Clapton is a weird dude.

He also hasn't produced anything really good in 20 years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #438 on: October 12, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »
What do Eric Clapton and black coffee have in common?

They both suck without Cream.

:neverusethis:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #439 on: October 12, 2021, 02:55:34 PM »
Clapton is a weird dude.

He also hasn't produced anything really good in 20   40 years.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: October 12, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
Clapton isn't a fan of black anyways.

"Clapton hasn't produced anything good in 20 years "

:coolio

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #441 on: October 12, 2021, 03:02:30 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Clapton is a good blues player, but he is overrated. And also...

Clapton is a weird dude.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline HOF

« Reply #442 on: October 12, 2021, 03:14:21 PM »

Clapton is a weird dude.

The only songs I ever kind of enjoyed by Clapton were some of his 90s adult contemporary stuff (Tears in Heaven, My Father's Eyes, Blue Eyes Blue). I guess he had a few of those in the 70s that were alright (Wonderful Tonight is a similar vibe).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: October 12, 2021, 03:29:18 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: October 12, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »

Clapton is a weird dude.

The only songs I ever kind of enjoyed by Clapton were some of his 90s adult contemporary stuff (Tears in Heaven, My Father's Eyes, Blue Eyes Blue). I guess he had a few of those in the 70s that were alright (Wonderful Tonight is a similar vibe).

That's the Clapton I DON'T like.   The hippy 70's "I Shot The Sheriff" bullsnot, and the hipster "Pilgrim" stuff from the what was it, late 90's early 2000's.   The Clapton I like is the Derek and the Dominoes stuff and don't laugh, but the two albums Phil Collins produced. 

I saw him live twice, and he's amazing live, but it's not anything that makes my toes tingle. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #445 on: October 12, 2021, 03:54:11 PM »
I mean, I Shot The Sheriff is terrible. As is Cocaine. Layla is pretty good I guess. Prefer the unplugged version, though the outro to the original is good.

I have always meant to check out the stuff he did with Collins. There was one song they did together that I heard once and thought it was pretty cool, but never followed up on it (vague I know).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:02:14 PM by HOF »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #446 on: October 12, 2021, 03:57:17 PM »
Layla is awesome. Bits of Cream also. Otherwise? Dull.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: October 12, 2021, 04:45:54 PM »
Saw Cream reunion gig at Albert Hall ( on TV not in person ) and Eric's guitar sounded awful.

Plus i've never been a fan of Ginger Baker. thought he was really sloppy. But his ego and temper were legendary obviously.

Why is it people with the biggest egos RARELY have the talent to back it up ?

Don't say Lars. Maybe in the 80s. But since 2003 all of the band has been really self-deprecating. Lars says he knows he's not a technician and that he has regressed.

About the only person I can think of * who is incredibly good at their instrument AND an egotistical prick is Andy James from Sacred Mother Tongue / FFDP.

Worked with him a few times. Was never happy about anything ever. Every other shredder you mention "is shit" .

I asked him once what he thought of Blackstar Amps " SHIT ". Next thing you know he's endorsed by them. But it didn't last long obviously.

Annoyingly though he's an incredible shredder. As technical as Petrucci but not as melodic. He's more of a full speed at all times shredder.

Here's a Sacred Mother Tongue video my bro made at my Dad's farm. It was funny having Andy James and the whole band stay at my house and stay for dinner ;D

Was a fun shoot.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGY1bUEW1mc

* - apart from Buddy Rich obvs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: October 12, 2021, 09:54:41 PM »
That was a great Clapton joke!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #449 on: October 12, 2021, 10:27:11 PM »
I like Clapton when he's playing the more bluesy stuff.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline romdrums

« Reply #450 on: October 13, 2021, 07:49:51 AM »
That was a great Clapton joke!

It's originally a Ginger Baker joke, but I find it hits harder when you sub in Clapton.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #451 on: October 13, 2021, 08:45:22 AM »
Clapton was always better with others (Cream, Blind Faith, Derek & The Dominoes), than solo (give me that JJ Cale song).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:16:46 PM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #452 on: October 13, 2021, 08:58:34 AM »
While My Guitar Gently Weeps was so much better with Gary Moore. Even George Harrison is blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M9zUQT1QYE

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: October 13, 2021, 09:55:17 AM »
I mean, I Shot The Sheriff is terrible. As is Cocaine. Layla is pretty good I guess. Prefer the unplugged version, though the outro to the original is good.

I have always meant to check out the stuff he did with Collins. There was one song they did together that I heard once and thought it was pretty cool, but never followed up on it (vague I know).

Behind the Sun is better; that was the first.  August is good too, but both records are slightly disjointed for different reasons. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: October 13, 2021, 01:51:32 PM »
I personally never understood the hype for Clapton.  Not a fan at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.