Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 42571 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #455 on: October 13, 2021, 01:52:05 PM »
While My Guitar Gently Weeps was so much better with Gary Moore. Even George Harrison is blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M9zUQT1QYE

To be fair, most things were better with Gary Moore.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #456 on: October 13, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »
That is true!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: October 13, 2021, 01:56:26 PM »
Been getting into his Blues Alive show recently. Wouldn't mind tracking down the DVD of that.  Separate Ways, holy hell!  :hefdaddy

Even though I've been a fan for a long time I've never been a blues fan in general, but my opinion is starting to shift, solely because of Gary Moore.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #458 on: October 13, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »
Been getting into his Blues Alive show recently. Wouldn't mind tracking down the DVD of that.  Separate Ways, holy hell!  :hefdaddy

Even though I've been a fan for a long time I've never been a blues fan in general, but my opinion is starting to shift, solely because of Gary Moore.

Blues Alive is a TAC Top 5 Live Album. It is amazing!

The Montreux live albums are great too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: October 13, 2021, 02:54:44 PM »
What do Eric Clapton and black coffee have in common?

They both suck without Cream.

:neverusethis:

:rollin :rollin

Clapton is a good blues player, but he is overrated. And also...

Clapton is a weird dude.

He also hasn't produced anything really good in 20 years.

The only songs I ever kind of enjoyed by Clapton were some of his 90s adult contemporary stuff (Tears in Heaven, My Father's Eyes, Blue Eyes Blue). I guess he had a few of those in the 70s that were alright (Wonderful Tonight is a similar vibe).
  The Clapton I like is the Derek and the Dominoes stuff and don't laugh,

I've always been luke warm on Clapton but I checked out that Derek and the Dominoes album for the first time earlier this year and I do not get the hype, aside from "Layla" the rest of the album I thought was forgettable at best.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: October 13, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »

Yeah, never really took much notice.  Might have to look at that 5cd Montreaux set you got.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: October 13, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »

Yeah, never really took much notice.  Might have to look at that 5cd Montreaux set you got.

I told that story before.

I bought the CD set from Amazon, and it came with an instant download. After many delays, they informed me that they would not be able to fulfill the order and issued me a refund.

I burned my own CDs! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: October 13, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
Haha, that's right.  Lucky you took advantage of the download.

Lately when I'm flicking through YouTube vids before bed, I am always needing something to watch from Gary.  I've never really been able to make a top 5 guitarist list even top 10 and I know where he hits with you but if I had to make a top 5, I don't see Gary not being in there.  Guy was just incredible.

The passion, soul, pain and feel he had with the guitar is unmatched.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #463 on: October 13, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »
I've spent many nights going down Gary Moore rabbit holes on youtube. That tone is fucking addicting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: October 13, 2021, 03:14:43 PM »
Exactly.  That tone is from him too.  Put any other guitarist on his setup and it would sound completely different.  He spoke and cried through the instrument.

That intro on Seperate Ways on Blues Alive almost makes me fucking weep.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #465 on: October 13, 2021, 05:44:42 PM »
I personally never understood the hype for Clapton.  Not a fan at all.

This is sort of me. I mean, he is good, and he has some killer moments (Layla, White Room, Crossroads, Let It Rain, etc.), but when you think about how many great guitarists came from his era, I just don't think he stacks up to most of them, yet he is often revered like he is one of the best ever.  I don't get it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: October 13, 2021, 05:55:25 PM »

This is sort of me. I mean, he is good, and he has some killer moments (Layla, White Room, Crossroads, Let It Rain, etc.), but when you think about how many great guitarists came from his era, I just don't think he stacks up to most of them, yet he is often revered like he is one of the best ever.  I don't get it.

Yep.  Even from a guitarists point if view I don't see it.  Maybe I just haven't heard enough, which is a possibility.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #467 on: October 14, 2021, 08:17:37 AM »

Well, his reputation was made with the Bluesbreakers and the early Yardbirds.   He rode that "E.C. is God" thing for, well, the rest of his career.   He's certainly not in my top five, or even top ten. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #468 on: October 14, 2021, 08:18:31 AM »

Well, his reputation was made with the Bluesbreakers and the early Yardbirds.   He rode that "E.C. is God" thing for, well, the rest of his career.   He's certainly not in my top five, or even top ten.
That Bluesbreakers album is pretty nice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: October 14, 2021, 08:20:33 AM »
I'm just not into those kind of 12-bar blues style guitarists at all. Where they do have a bassist and a drummer but they're ONLY there to keep the beat

so the guitarist can solo for 50 minutes.

Cannot bear SRV. So boring imo.  That live video of him playing Texas Flood is like listening to paint dry. And the drummer looks beyond bored  ;D

- I just tried watching it and couldn't get past the 1 minute mark.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: October 14, 2021, 09:09:28 AM »
I'm just not into those kind of 12-bar blues style guitarists at all. Where they do have a bassist and a drummer but they're ONLY there to keep the beat

so the guitarist can solo for 50 minutes.

Cannot bear SRV. So boring imo.  That live video of him playing Texas Flood is like listening to paint dry. And the drummer looks beyond bored  ;D

- I just tried watching it and couldn't get past the 1 minute mark.

At least with respect to SRV, I couldn't disagree more. That guy was a tornado.  I saw him at Uconn - northern CT - in I think it was '88, standing on a flatbed truck parked in the corner of a (then) shitty football field playing to like 1,000 people, and yet attacking his instrument like it was his last show on earth.  Up to that point, I'd never seen a person "own" their instrument like that; it was like it was a third arm, a part of him.  Hard to describe.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #471 on: October 14, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »
Yea, SRV is a league of his own. I am jelly of Bill for being able to see him, since even though I'm also not a huge of that solo for 10 hours over the same riff, SRV seems like he would've been amazing to see in person.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #472 on: October 14, 2021, 09:25:54 AM »
Stevie Ray Vaughan was a beast. His rendition of Little Wing on The Sky Is Crying is just magical.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: October 14, 2021, 10:32:16 AM »
Yea, SRV is a league of his own. I am jelly of Bill for being able to see him, since even though I'm also not a huge of that solo for 10 hours over the same riff, SRV seems like he would've been amazing to see in person.

Here's the thing:  I'm not a fan AT ALL of that solo for 10 hours either. That's the beauty of SRV; he was so solid, and so completely blurred the lines between "lead" and "rhythm" that it was sort of apples and oranges.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #474 on: October 14, 2021, 12:26:18 PM »

Here's the thing:  I'm not a fan AT ALL of that solo for 10 hours either. That's the beauty of SRV; he was so solid, and so completely blurred the lines between "lead" and "rhythm" that it was sort of apples and oranges.

In addition to everything you just said, I'd like to add that SRV is a criminally underated vocalist (IMO)—one of my favorite tracks by him is "Life by the Drop," which is an acoustic number that doesn't feature a single second of electric 'shreddin.'  He just nails the vocal on that song, and given the subject matter, you can feel the emotion in his voice.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #475 on: October 14, 2021, 01:28:16 PM »
Gary Moore was so great. His blues has never quite clicked with me but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I love his rock action. So much aggression, passion and power. And tone! Amazing. Murder In The Skies!

SRV's songs don't interest me at all so I rarely listen to him but fuck, his lead playing is incredible. Just astonishing. Again, the power and passion and sound is immense.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #476 on: October 14, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
Well, this is interesting.  Max Portnoy is the current touring drummer for this band called Code Orange that's currently on tour with Slipknot's Knotfest Roadshow tour.

The mask kinda makes him look like Mankind from WWF.

https://loudwire.com/code-orange-new-drummer-tallah-max-portnoy/

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #477 on: October 14, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »
Maybe it's just the corners of the internet I observe, but it seems that blues guitar or older blues in general has been falling out of favor for years now, particularly among younger millennials and xennials or whatever we wind up calling them.  I still myself dig SRV, Gary Moore and others, but I'm in the older millennial range and a guitarist who grew up on that stuff, so it's more a part of me.  I don't know if it's part of the stigma as being too close to "dad rock" or something of that ilk.  But guys like Albert King, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, or even Howlin' Wolf never quite got their due in the first place, so I'd hate for that music to get buried even more.  Or even somewhat "newer" artists like Jeff Healey, Robert Randolph, Aynsley Lister, Chris Duarte, or heck, even someone like Danny Gatton. 

Speaking of Max, I was at the last show that Empire (formerly Jaxx) ever hosted in VA, which had Haken headlining, and Max's band at the time Next To None playing.  Mike himself joined Haken for a tune near the end of the show.  At one point Mike and Max walked right by me in a less crowded part of the venue.  I should have said something, but I was a bit stunned. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: October 14, 2021, 05:06:40 PM »
I'm 43 next month and i've ALWAYS hated that "guy solos for 30 minutes whilst the band play a basic backing track" kind of guitarist.  **

I let Mark Knopfler get away with it cause he doesn't MAINLY do 12 bar blues over a slow 6/8 shuffle. Plus the band get a chance to shine also.

On the album On Every Street - I was enthralled by the drums just as much as the guitar. Mainly cause the drummer on that album was Jeff Porcaro.  :hefdaddy

And also cause Mark is a phenomenal guitarist.

** - The closest I get to that is Joe Bonamassa. But his songs are usually pretty awesome and ROCK inspired as well as blues and pretty catchy.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #479 on: October 14, 2021, 05:10:29 PM »
The unequal focus can't be solely it though.  There are hip-hop acts that are ostensibly bands but still are all about the emcee that resonate with people. 

I like Bonamassa too, though he seems to get a decent amount of recognition compared to similar artists.  Same with the Tedeschi Trucks band, one of the better shows I've seen with everyone killing it. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: October 14, 2021, 05:13:40 PM »
The british music paper NME in the mid 90s had a term for bands that were essentially famous for their singer and nobody could name anyone else.

If I was in one of those bands i'd be a bit p-ed off. UNLESS you were the type of person who craved privacy.

Otherwise why would you be in a band though ?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #481 on: October 14, 2021, 05:31:00 PM »

At least with respect to SRV, I couldn't disagree more. That guy was a tornado.  I saw him at Uconn - northern CT - in I think it was '88, standing on a flatbed truck parked in the corner of a (then) shitty football field playing to like 1,000 people, and yet attacking his instrument like it was his last show on earth.  Up to that point, I'd never seen a person "own" their instrument like that; it was like it was a third arm, a part of him.  Hard to describe.

Hell yeah. I don't listen to the blues that often, but when I do, SRV is one of my go-to artists, and his guitar work always makes me just shake my head in amazement.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: October 14, 2021, 05:32:38 PM »
There is nothing new in the blues and playing minor pentatonic licks over a 60bpm 6/8 twelve-bar-shuffle is about the most tedious music there is.

imo of course.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: October 14, 2021, 05:52:15 PM »
Maybe it's just the corners of the internet I observe, but it seems that blues guitar or older blues in general has been falling out of favor for years now, particularly among younger millennials and xennials or whatever we wind up calling them.  I still myself dig SRV, Gary Moore and others, but I'm in the older millennial range and a guitarist who grew up on that stuff, so it's more a part of me.  I don't know if it's part of the stigma as being too close to "dad rock" or something of that ilk.  But guys like Albert King, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, or even Howlin' Wolf never quite got their due in the first place, so I'd hate for that music to get buried even more.  Or even somewhat "newer" artists like Jeff Healey, Robert Randolph, Aynsley Lister, Chris Duarte, or heck, even someone like Danny Gatton. 

Speaking of Max, I was at the last show that Empire (formerly Jaxx) ever hosted in VA, which had Haken headlining, and Max's band at the time Next To None playing.  Mike himself joined Haken for a tune near the end of the show.  At one point Mike and Max walked right by me in a less crowded part of the venue.  I should have said something, but I was a bit stunned.

I'm 37 and been playing guitar since I was like 13.  I never really liked blues.  Metal has pretty much been my go to.  I have always had a very short attention span when I've tried.  Gary Moore is the exception but as I said, I'm only really starting to get more into that side of him now.

I appreciate and fully respect the origin of blues and it's Iinfluence on all my fav players though.

I've never really cared for SRV but I've never really checked much of his stuff either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: October 14, 2021, 05:54:48 PM »
There is nothing new in the blues and playing minor pentatonic licks over a 60bpm 6/8 twelve-bar-shuffle is about the most tedious music there is.

imo of course.

I've been watching some Paul Gilbert vids and watching him play blues has been one of the most exciting things I've been checking out for a while.  His playing in a blues style so so creative and interesting.

Depends on the player to what you're saying and I agree for your average blues player but Gilbert has been one lately that's sparked my interest a little more in the style.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #485 on: October 14, 2021, 06:03:48 PM »
The british music paper NME in the mid 90s had a term for bands that were essentially famous for their singer and nobody could name anyone else.

If I was in one of those bands i'd be a bit p-ed off. UNLESS you were the type of person who craved privacy.

Otherwise why would you be in a band though ?

To make music with other people?  I'm exactly that sort of person.  I don't want the limelight, I just want to do creative things in the background. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #486 on: October 14, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »
I'm 37 and been playing guitar since I was like 13.  I never really liked blues.  Metal has pretty much been my go to.  I have always had a very short attention span when I've tried.  Gary Moore is the exception but as I said, I'm only really starting to get more into that side of him now.

I appreciate and fully respect the origin of blues and it's Iinfluence on all my fav players though.

I've never really cared for SRV but I've never really checked much of his stuff either.

I accepted Still Got The Blues/After Hours/Blues Alive, but then after that, I guess I was disappointed that Gary Moore basically abandoned his rock roots for the blues full time.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the blues, but it proved to be a great vehicle for Gary's playing and voice. I could listen to him play those licks all night. But that doesn't mean I could sit through anybody doing the same.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #487 on: October 14, 2021, 06:25:34 PM »

Haha, you're almost me.  Also 37, been playing guitar since I was 12 (although I should sound a whole lot better than I do for playing for "25 years", too many other instruments and hobbies competing for my attention..).  Also into more metal than any other single genre, though I have a toe in many of them.  Gary Moore is probably my favorite type of blues player though, he has the chops to burn, but can also exercise restraint when he wants.  I never liked the adage about "he can say more with 1 note than a shredder can with a thousand".  I like the guys who can play a thousand notes, but know when to and when not to.  Gilbert has definitely become one of those.  Also EVH, Lukather, Tabor, Eric Johnson, Satriani, Schon, Slash, Keaggy, Huff, and others.  Or even less bluesy guys like Nilsson, Poland, Friedman, Plini, etc.  But I heard Hendrix when I was 13 and SRV's In the Beginning when I was 15, and those really had an impact on me. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: October 14, 2021, 06:34:09 PM »

I accepted Still Got The Blues/After Hours/Blues Alive, but then after that, I guess I was disappointed that Gary Moore basically abandoned his rock roots for the blues full time.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the blues, but it proved to be a great vehicle for Gary's playing and voice. I could listen to him play those licks all night. But that doesn't mean I could sit through anybody doing the same.

Can pretty much agree with this fully.

Haha, you're almost me.  Also 37, been playing guitar since I was 12 (although I should sound a whole lot better than I do for playing for "25 years", too many other instruments and hobbies competing for my attention..).  Also into more metal than any other single genre, though I have a toe in many of them.  Gary Moore is probably my favorite type of blues player though, he has the chops to burn, but can also exercise restraint when he wants.  I never liked the adage about "he can say more with 1 note than a shredder can with a thousand".  I like the guys who can play a thousand notes, but know when to and when not to.  Gilbert has definitely become one of those.  Also EVH, Lukather, Tabor, Eric Johnson, Satriani, Schon, Slash, Keaggy, Huff, and others.  Or even less bluesy guys like Nilsson, Poland, Friedman, Plini, etc.  But I heard Hendrix when I was 13 and SRV's In the Beginning when I was 15, and those really had an impact on me. 

Hendrix again I appreciate, but I couldn't sit through one of his albums.  Again I know and appreciate his legacy.

I feel I should also be a lot better than I am for my playing time also mate.

Love the mention of Per Nillson.  His vids on YouTube are incredible.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #489 on: October 14, 2021, 11:29:08 PM »
I wonder what blues players do you listen to that constantly solo for hours (to paraphrase some of the posts here)?. That may be true for the blues sessions in the local pub, but normally those blues guys play songs (like any other artist) with a couple of solos thrown is (like a lot of other artists). And live those solos sometimes get extended (like with a lot of other artists).

I myself like a lot of blues, and I still hear a lot of blues influence in other music. The blues was/is just an important part in the evolution of rock music.

But like with any other genre there are good artists and bad artists.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D