Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38304 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« on: January 20, 2021, 05:29:05 AM »
I realised we don't have a "chat" thread just for music in general and normally have to go the specific band thread.

Let's use this thread for any general music / band thoughts !

I'll start !

Why have I only just found out that the Ghostbusters theme song is a huge rip off of Huey Lewis & The News' song

" I Want A New Drug " ?

omg it's the same song  :lol

:D

Offline HOF

Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 05:56:23 AM »
I realised we don't have a "chat" thread just for music in general and normally have to go the specific band thread.

Let's use this thread for any general music / band thoughts !

I'll start !

Why have I only just found out that the Ghostbusters theme song is a huge rip off of Huey Lewis & The News' song

" I Want A New Drug " ?

omg it's the same song  :lol

:D

Ha, yeah there was a lawsuit and everything I think. I believe they wanted the band to do a song for the soundtrack, they declined, and then the studio went out and hired someone to write a song that sounded like Huey Lewis and the News.

Details: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(song)#:~:text=Lawsuit,-Further%20information%3A%20List&text=When%20the%20theme%20song%20of,theme%20song%20for%20the%20film.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 06:51:11 AM »
...which led to Huey Lewis writing a song for Back To The Future - the greatest film of all time.

win / Win / WIN !  ;D

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 11:53:18 AM »
and a Cameo in the movie.

Why has Huey never been nominated for the Rock Hall?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 12:01:40 PM »
Alright then,

Let’s enjoy this one: https://youtu.be/hcrUuCDFLOQ
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 03:53:22 PM »
I had no idea about the Ghostbusters theme! I've of my abs favourite movies of all time.

Lady GaGa was bloody great today.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 04:06:37 PM »
and a Cameo in the movie.

Why has Huey never been nominated for the Rock Hall?

Because it isn't hip to be square.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 04:16:55 PM »
I never got the Ghostbusters/I Want a New Drug thing. Similar? Yes. The same? I don’t hear it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 04:37:40 PM »
I never got the Ghostbusters/I Want a New Drug thing. Similar? Yes. The same? I don’t hear it.

This.  I totally never got it either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 01:25:57 AM »
Alright then,

Let’s enjoy this one: https://youtu.be/hcrUuCDFLOQ

Doctor Jazz always makes me giggle.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 01:29:29 AM »
The entire Count Basie Orchestra on Triangle!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 08:44:21 AM »

This.  I totally never got it either.

The bass line in the verses is almost exactly the same, the rest is similar enough.

And it's no coincidence either as the linked article above shows.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 09:07:58 AM »
I find it amusing that almost every pop song I hear at work is either

I - V - VI - IV in the chorus

or

IV - I - V - VI

It's like those are the only two options.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 04:08:48 PM »
I've not counted them but I think there are a massive amount of Maiden songs in Em with the chorus of VI-VII-I or v similar.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 04:12:59 PM »
I've not counted them but I think there are a massive amount of Maiden songs in Em with the chorus of VI-VII-I or v similar.

Most use those 3 in some capacity.  I-VI-III-VII is another heavily utilised one for them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 02:07:54 AM »
I love Trivium and they're easily the best of their genre of Metal - but

they do use the I - VI - VII progression in their choruses way too often.

As well as going to the V in the final bar before going back into the verse.

" Heart from your hate " is a good example of this.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 03:12:14 AM »
And every Metallica song features the low E-string heavily :lol
Squ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 03:29:11 AM »
What annoys me is how people think getting an 8 string and tuning it down two tones will automatically make the song MORE HEVYYY

It's not about PITCH. It's everything. It's the tone of the guitars and the rhythm and the chug.

I don't know why there are not 6 strings which are the lowest 6 strings of an 8 string.

You'd probably need a thicker neck and maybe a stronger truss rod - but I think some guitarists just want to be seen to have an 8 string.

Offline emtee

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 04:47:28 AM »
Listened to Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous album last weekend. Still In Love With You is still playing in my head. Marvelous duel guitar solo trade-offs on that song. Up there amongst my all time favorite solos.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 04:54:42 AM »
What annoys me is how people think getting an 8 string and tuning it down two tones will automatically make the song MORE HEVYYY

It's not about PITCH. It's everything. It's the tone of the guitars and the rhythm and the chug.

I don't know why there are not 6 strings which are the lowest 6 strings of an 8 string.

You'd probably need a thicker neck and maybe a stronger truss rod - but I think some guitarists just want to be seen to have an 8 string.

There are bands that tunes their (six-string) guitars in B, which is basically the same as having a 7-string. You do need a longer scale for that indeed. It's probably possible to go down even further, but then, why should you, if you can get an 8-string as well?

That said, I love my 8-string guitar, because it gives me more range and makes some stuff easier to play in a single position. The lowest string definitely gets used the least though.
Squ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 10:51:13 AM »
I'd get a 7 at a push but i'd rather have a baritone. One of the nicest sounds in an acoustic tuned down to B standard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 02:29:52 PM »
So - it's been around 18 months now.

Is it time to finally admit that FEAR INOCULUM wasn't the masterpiece we wanted or expected or thought it was at first ?

Not saying it was bad - but after 13 years - it wasn't good enough...

On my very first listen of the album it was a game of " what previous TOOL song is this riff from - and why would I rather listen to THAT song instead ? "

* - I still place it above Aenima and Undertow though. Third behind Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
I've not heard it since it came out and then I only managed a couple of tracks. Just wasn't connecting. I mean to go back and try again though. I'm very aware that my mood is very specific these days.

Listened to Aenima title track and The Pot the other day and loved em, though.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 04:45:09 PM »
I wasn't expecting the holy grail of Tool music, with Fear Inoculum...That's Lateralus.

I do enjoy a couple of tracks, Culling Voices and Pneuma being the highlights. And to me, Chocolate Chip Trip, is just a reworked modified version of Merkaba from Salival. It actually sounds better with all the new sounds Danny can get with his Mandala Pads now.

The star, and was always the star, is Dannys drumming and his use of the Mandala sounds and Patterns. Those are incorporated a lot more than in 10,000 which had a lot of those as well.

Though, having those Interludes included really helps the flow of the album. They're almost like breather tracks as you get ready for the next >10min.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTA

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »
This is driving me nuts but does the bass line in verses of The Police song O My God resemble a Signify-era PT track? I was thinking Idiot Prayer but that’s not it and don’t know if I’m misremembering.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »

Is it time to finally admit that FEAR INOCULUM wasn't the masterpiece we wanted or expected or thought it was at first ?

On my very first listen of the album it was a game of " what previous TOOL song is this riff from - and why would I rather listen to THAT song instead ? "

* - I still place it above Aenima and Undertow though. Third behind Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Did they ever come out with just a plain 'ole CD version with no book, no batteries, no CRT video monitors?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 05:56:46 PM »
Can we have a separate "Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread" for people who don't know anything about music where we don't discuss chord progressions, guitar tunings, and such?   :lol

I'd never heard that about Ghostbusters/Huey Lewis. I am curious to check it out, but that would require me listening to a Huey Lewis song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 08:44:32 PM »
If Huey Lewis and the News ever do make the Hall of Fame, how awesome would it be if Christian Bale was the one to induct them? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 08:48:03 PM »
I must be old. lol. The HL/Ghostbusters decision was in the news daily at the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 08:53:30 PM »
Listened to Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous album last weekend. Still In Love With You is still playing in my head. Marvelous duel guitar solo trade-offs on that song. Up there amongst my all time favorite solos.

The best version of Still In Love With you is on this album:

Reading '83.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 09:15:11 PM »

Did they ever come out with just a plain 'ole CD version with no book, no batteries, no CRT video monitors?

Does 10,000 days not have the 3D optical lenses?

This has been Tools Forte since Aenima with it's Motion Artwork, and especially that odd one. Lateralus had the Layers.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 10:04:53 PM »
If Huey Lewis and the News ever do make the Hall of Fame, how awesome would it be if Christian Bale was the one to induct them?

in full Patrick Bateman character, yes  :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 10:41:38 PM »
Listening to Collective Soul for the first time in a while. I’ve always had a soft spot for them. It seems weird how they sort of dropped off the map overnight when the millennium turned. But I suppose a lot of mainstream rock just went out of fashion around that time. Still, these guys had a bunch of big rock radio tunes, but you don’t really hear them talked about much anymore even in the context of the top bands of the 90s.

Shine is one of the more memorable rock anthems of the 90s, and the self titled album is a really strong all around record with several really big hits. December, The World I Know, Smashing Young Men, Gel, Where The River Flows were all over radio back in the day. The next two albums, Disciplined Breakdown and Dosage, each spawned several hits as well. Dosage might even be their strongest album.

And then, 2000 came and Blender kind of flopped and that was it. It was their last album on Atlantic, I guess Napster came along, and then probably major labels weren’t going to go out of their way to support them. Here we are 20 years later, and the band (with a somewhat different lineup) is still going but it doesn’t seem like they’ve ever had a nostalgia fueled renaissance like you see with many popular rock bands late in their careers.   

Where do people here think they fall among the best bands of the 90s? I kind of think after the initial wave of grunge bands, they were as good as anyone else that were prominently featured on alternative rock radio in the mid to late 90s. I’m trying to think of an analogous band from an earlier era who had this many hits but not a lot of longevity.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 10:43:59 PM »
That self titled album is an absolute cracker.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2021, 03:43:58 AM »

Not a bog standard jewel case type thing but I think there was a more 'standard' version. I bought it digitally from iTunes.