Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38634 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #350 on: September 13, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:11:59 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #351 on: September 13, 2021, 07:19:13 PM »
At some point, this so-called metal rulebook is what's keeping the metal genre from being wider and appreciated (an appreciation that the so-called fans of the genre so greatly desire, ironically, and then gets pissy when someone does something that doesn't respect it), in my opinion.  You can't do this, you can't do that, you can't wear this, you gotta know this to be a part of that, and so forth, in order to be called a true fan.  It's all load of horsecrap.  Just let the people be fans in their own paths.

On another note, would people be that much happier in society if the Black Album was never made or became a legacy album and Metallica would never became the band that everyone knows the name and not know a single song from them?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:26:07 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #352 on: September 13, 2021, 11:42:44 PM »
At some point, this so-called metal rulebook is what's keeping the metal genre from being wider and appreciated (an appreciation that the so-called fans of the genre so greatly desire, ironically, and then gets pissy when someone does something that doesn't respect it), in my opinion. 

I've met and experienced metalheads that were about the least tolerant people towards other types of music, or even specific subgenres of metal itself, despite claiming that they are an open an inclusive subculture. Some of those folks are ridiculously snobby and close-minded.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #353 on: September 14, 2021, 12:19:31 AM »
No gatekeeping at all. It's fascinating to me (and terrific) that folks have such different tastes and approaches to the music they enjoy. I also find it odd in myself that I struggle to understand those differences. (Eg: "Whaddyou mean you hate InsertBandHere?!")

Just observations, not dissing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #354 on: September 14, 2021, 01:37:23 AM »
Haha insert clueless teen in NIRVANA or Ramones t shirt here.

Thing is, a lot of people are just casual music fans, and that's fine. Plus as a teen, you're generally just getting into music so it's not surprising they don't know the ins and outs of every band they like. What's wrong with that? If a kid is getting into music, likes 3 Nirvana tunes and considers himself a fan, then he is a fan.

Bullshit gatekeeping only alienates people. This same kid may be sampling loads of bands, and in ten years he may have delved fully into the band. Because he doesn't know their entire catalogue and history of the band, doesn't make him less than you.

The first band I really got into as a kid was The Offspring. I owned Americana, and that's it. I considered myself a fan, and was a fan. It took me years to work through their catalogue, and even now there are the odd albums I've not heard. If I'd have been confronted by some fan in his thirties asking me to name all the songs off Smash I'd have just thought "what the fuck? I like this band, why is it a big deal I don't know all their music yet?".

Some people just have fragile egos, tied into their musical taste, as it is a big part of who they are I guess.

:corn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2021, 04:06:06 AM »
You're joking, but if you picked a different instrument you wouldn't have to be.  They have literally had 14 different guitar players.  I could only name 9 off the top of my head though.  The others are short-stint live players.

Yeah the new guy Kiro ? Obviously Marty Friedman. Chris Broderick ? The wiki page for all their lineups is funny. Theyre worse than Fleetwood mac.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: September 14, 2021, 05:30:10 AM »
14 guitarists? Really?

Dave
Marty
Glen Drover
Chris Poland
Chris Broderick
Jeff Young
Al Pitrelli
Kiko

That's all the studio guys, no?

Edit: Missed the part at the end where you said they were short term live players.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #357 on: September 14, 2021, 08:41:03 AM »
Haha insert clueless teen in NIRVANA or Ramones t shirt here.

Thing is, a lot of people are just casual music fans, and that's fine. Plus as a teen, you're generally just getting into music so it's not surprising they don't know the ins and outs of every band they like. What's wrong with that? If a kid is getting into music, likes 3 Nirvana tunes and considers himself a fan, then he is a fan.

Bullshit gatekeeping only alienates people. This same kid may be sampling loads of bands, and in ten years he may have delved fully into the band. Because he doesn't know their entire catalogue and history of the band, doesn't make him less than you.

The first band I really got into as a kid was The Offspring. I owned Americana, and that's it. I considered myself a fan, and was a fan. It took me years to work through their catalogue, and even now there are the odd albums I've not heard. If I'd have been confronted by some fan in his thirties asking me to name all the songs off Smash I'd have just thought "what the fuck? I like this band, why is it a big deal I don't know all their music yet?".

Some people just have fragile egos, tied into their musical taste, as it is a big part of who they are I guess.

It's just part of the game of being a fan..."Playing The Fan" is a concept that all games and forms of play have. Fans in themselves have their own form of play and game outside of the actual Game they're a fan of, outside the courts, venues and rings.

Sports fans are the best example of this, just look at how they treat new fans and those that are termed "Posers". Posers are in every "Fan Gameplay" where it's "The hero needs an enemy" and picking on the weak, in this case weak meaning the ignorant and less knowledgeable. Even trivia games have this with the smarter "nerds" picking on and making fun of the lesser weak dumber "needs".

This form of play and Game branched out into the music world, look at what is labelled and defined as great and good music. It's a form of rules, as all play has rules.

This is that mindset that Mike Portnoy still has and it's never left him. It's why I say, Mike Portnoy, is still that fan and plays that game of the fan. It's just that the fan in the stands that showed his spirit and dons the outfit of hardcore fan, has finally become the star player in the field.

It's why for me, to truly have unity music there needs to be a band that doesn't give two shits what the fans think and just play the music they want to make without any rules. The rules need to be broken as this game itself has become corrupted and it's not fun to play the game anymore....it's not fun to Roll The Bones.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #358 on: September 14, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
It's just part of the game of being a fan..."Playing The Fan" is a concept that all games and forms of play have. Fans in themselves have their own form of play and game outside of the actual Game they're a fan of, outside the courts, venues and rings.

Sports fans are the best example of this, just look at how they treat new fans and those that are termed "Posers". Posers are in every "Fan Gameplay" where it's "The hero needs an enemy" and picking on the weak, in this case weak meaning the ignorant and less knowledgeable. Even trivia games have this with the smarter "nerds" picking on and making fun of the lesser weak dumber "needs".

This form of play and Game branched out into the music world, look at what is labelled and defined as great and good music. It's a form of rules, as all play has rules.

This is that mindset that Mike Portnoy still has and it's never left him. It's why I say, Mike Portnoy, is still that fan and plays that game of the fan. It's just that the fan in the stands that showed his spirit and dons the outfit of hardcore fan, has finally become the star player in the field.

It's why for me, to truly have unity music there needs to be a band that doesn't give two shits what the fans think and just play the music they want to make without any rules. The rules need to be broken as this game itself has become corrupted and it's not fun to play the game anymore....it's not fun to Roll The Bones.

You're not wrong, but this is really key:

I think we forget just how random the "liking" process really is.  I didn't pick what I like and don't like.  I could, through a roll of the cosmic bones, just as easily like show tunes and gansta rap.   When I heard Kiss, it gave me goosebumps and it was PURELY a visceral response.  There was ZERO thought to it.  I get why it happened NOW, but that's all hindsight, not any cognizant thinking at the time.  I can't take any claim for any great intellect or insight or superiority for having liked Crimson's "Red" and I won't take any hits for having liked Harry Styles' "Watermelon Sugar".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #359 on: September 14, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »
The heart wants what the heart wants.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #360 on: September 14, 2021, 09:40:47 AM »
I think we forget just how random the "liking" process really is.  I didn't pick what I like and don't like. 

You didn't literally, no, but everything you do or don't like is also an indirect result of what you have done in your life, from birth up until the point where you're now. You can't ignore stuff like what country, or even city, you're from, your background or your ethnicity, your upbringing, the people you hang out with, etc. etc., but also what interests you personally. There's likely actually a hint of bias in you that makes you enjoy King Crimson (because other people you know like it) or Watermelon Sugar (because the radio, or your daughter tells you it's good). Everyone is shaped by the world around us, whether we're conscious of it and realise it happening or not.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #361 on: September 14, 2021, 09:43:03 AM »

I couldn't agree more...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #362 on: September 14, 2021, 09:43:18 AM »
I think we forget just how random the "liking" process really is.  I didn't pick what I like and don't like. 

You didn't literally, no, but everything you do or don't like is also an indirect result of what you have done in your life, from birth up until the point where you're now. You can't ignore stuff like what country, or even city, you're from, your background or your ethnicity, your upbringing, the people you hang out with, etc. etc., but also what interests you personally. There's likely actually a hint of bias in you that makes you enjoy King Crimson (because other people you know like it) or Watermelon Sugar (because the radio, or your daughter tells you it's good). Everyone is shaped by the world around us, whether we're conscious of it and realise it happening or not.

Well yes, all of that is true. I think Stads was pointing out it being a conscious choice. So I think you're both right. However, since the bulk of this was in response to someone saying that a lot of people choose to like things for whatever reason, I think his point is well made.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: September 14, 2021, 11:20:31 AM »

I would argue we're saying the same thing.  I didn't pick what country I was born in or raised in.  I didn't pick my ethnicity.   I didn't, up until college, REALLY pick who I hung out with.  And FOR ME, I can't speak to anyone else, but my EXPOSURE to something is because someone else likes it, not whether I actually like it.  I wouldn't have ever heard of Harry Styles if it wasn't for my daughter, but there's a lot she likes - Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco - that I don't care for, but I listened and found myself waking up singing "Golden" and "Sign Of The Times" and wanting to hear it again.  So I put it on my iPod.  For me, I don't quite understand the concept of "guilty pleasure" in that I don't feel guilty about ANY of the music I like (though I will sometimes exaggerate my humility about certain things, like Kiss and Harry Styles).

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #364 on: September 14, 2021, 05:51:45 PM »

You're not wrong, but this is really key:

I think we forget just how random the "liking" process really is.  I didn't pick what I like and don't like.  I could, through a roll of the cosmic bones, just as easily like show tunes and gansta rap.   When I heard Kiss, it gave me goosebumps and it was PURELY a visceral response.  There was ZERO thought to it.  I get why it happened NOW, but that's all hindsight, not any cognizant thinking at the time.  I can't take any claim for any great intellect or insight or superiority for having liked Crimson's "Red" and I won't take any hits for having liked Harry Styles' "Watermelon Sugar".

That's one beauty I love about music. There's no thought to it, and that is what makes it subjective and how there is no way it can be objectively defined as good or bad. It just is, and if it moves you great, and if not, that's great too. And how trends can be hit or miss depending on "coming out at the right moment."

It's also why I find it pretty funny how the Soilwork guys made The Night Flight Orchestra, completely opposite of what you would consider metal musicians to make. Imagine if they were to have done this in the 80's... :lol

There are people who are amused at the type of music I like. They get so mystified and end up saying things like "What are you listening to?" I just laugh, turn it up and say "Music, just listen to it."  :lol

I also tend to like and enjoy things that end up being the majority consensus of the worst song on the album. Prophets of War for one example here.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2021, 11:05:19 PM »
14 guitarists? Really?

Dave
Marty
Glen Drover
Chris Poland
Chris Broderick
Jeff Young
Al Pitrelli
Kiko

That's all the studio guys, no?

Edit: Missed the part at the end where you said they were short term live players.

Yeah, Kerry King, Greg Handevidt, Robert Cromwell, Brett Michael Phillips, Jay Reynolds, and Mike Albert.  Kerry was the only one of those I knew without looking it up. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #366 on: September 15, 2021, 12:32:25 AM »
It's also why I find it pretty funny how the Soilwork guys made The Night Flight Orchestra, completely opposite of what you would consider metal musicians to make.

Taking this sentence out of your post, because I don't see really how it ties into the rest of it. I like the other things you wrote, especially about music just being music, and that's why I don't see why it's 'funny' that metal musician created a hard rock band. That's not really too far from each other stylistically. I find that a lot of people I know make music in different genres, or by blending influences. If I look at myself for example, I'm originally a rock/metal guitarist (well actually, I'm originally a saxophone player), but nowadays I play a lot of jazz with other jazz musicians. I enjoy both for different reasons, but mainly because it's both music.

Squ

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #367 on: September 15, 2021, 06:53:13 AM »
It's also why I find it pretty funny how the Soilwork guys made The Night Flight Orchestra, completely opposite of what you would consider metal musicians to make.

Taking this sentence out of your post, because I don't see really how it ties into the rest of it. I like the other things you wrote, especially about music just being music, and that's why I don't see why it's 'funny' that metal musician created a hard rock band. That's not really too far from each other stylistically. I find that a lot of people I know make music in different genres, or by blending influences. If I look at myself for example, I'm originally a rock/metal guitarist (well actually, I'm originally a saxophone player), but nowadays I play a lot of jazz with other jazz musicians. I enjoy both for different reasons, but mainly because it's both music.

I do, only because of the insecure Metal Head fans. That's who this is mainly about. It's about those Metal Heads getting a wad up in their bum.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #368 on: September 19, 2021, 10:02:12 AM »
New band that I dug their 1st song.  Band is called, NHC.

Navaro (Jane's Addiction)
Hawkins (Foo Fighters)
Chaney (Jane's Addiction)

Taylor has a great voice.

https://youtu.be/fTtlFUutim8
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: September 19, 2021, 10:02:07 PM »
I'll give that a listen tomorrow, looks like an interesting mix. Speaking of drummers having amazing voices I saw barebacked ladies a few years ago and for an encore the drummer came out and sang whole lotta love and he was awesome. He was a better singer than their actual lead singer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2021, 02:06:48 AM »
I recently saw The Rolling Stones live on tv from somewhere... And Keith took lead vocals on a song..

Why is he not the singer ? His voice is way better than Mick ;D

He has a kind of Paul Rodgers quality to his voice. I didn't even know he could sing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2021, 08:15:37 AM »

Hawkins (Foo Fighters)

Whoa, this is news.   Is there an album or just a single?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2021, 08:17:16 AM »
I recently saw The Rolling Stones live on tv from somewhere... And Keith took lead vocals on a song..

Why is he not the singer ? His voice is way better than Mick ;D

He has a kind of Paul Rodgers quality to his voice. I didn't even know he could sing.

He's always taken one, sometimes two, songs per setlist (and usually one song per album).  He's NOT a great singer, but he's a man that knows his limitations and so when he does sing it's a nice counterpoint to the rest of the material around him.

I DO happen to like Mick as a singer.   His voice has maintained itself like few others after 55 years.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2021, 08:18:01 AM »

Hawkins (Foo Fighters)

Very cool. Dave has a great voice himself—I consider his 2001 solo album a lost/hidden gem of a record.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #374 on: September 21, 2021, 07:22:10 PM »
I Paid DRUM LEGENDS To Record The Same Prog Rock Song, Then This Happened!

So this video has shown up in my feed for a couple of weeks. I decided to watch it tonight. It is very cool. Warning..there are NO legends in this video, but it is very cool nonetheless.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: September 22, 2021, 01:40:44 AM »
I used HYPERBOLE to make people watch my otherwise uninteresting video !

I filmed drummers PLAYING then talked and shouted all over their performances !

One of those YouTube videos where it's ostensibly about other people ... but it's really about the guy talking.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #376 on: September 22, 2021, 05:08:46 AM »
I didn't get that at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: September 22, 2021, 05:23:24 AM »
Maybe but that's pretty much all REACTION!! Videos

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #378 on: September 22, 2021, 05:25:51 AM »
I usually dig the dudes videos. I wish he had a few more drummers in that one but the idea is actually really cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #379 on: September 22, 2021, 07:06:35 AM »
I haven't watched that particular video yet, but I'm a drummer and have watched many Stephen Taylor videos, so I'll give him a pass.  He's a superlative teacher and communicator, and if he has to resort to clickbait occasionally, I'll let it go, because there's always substance to his videos. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #380 on: September 22, 2021, 07:08:02 AM »
I've never heard of the guy, but he seemed pretty cool in the video.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: September 26, 2021, 02:18:13 PM »
I had a good drum today on my electro-acoustic kit.  Played to 30 mins of my old punk-metal band KOTOW's album.

We loved odd timings and only used 4/4 if the part sounded better.

I remember nobody outside of the band could get their heads around the timings of "Emergency Exit" :p

The verse is in 15 or 9/4 then 6/4. However you prefer to count it The chorus is in 3/4 and the middle 8 goes between 6/4 and 7/4 hehe.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1sNnDMtJUraYu7YEMQ5hkq?si=e126e7271bf04f2b

Here it is if anyone fancies a listen. When we existed as a band I was the drummer and I wrote half of the music. My bro was the bassist and vocalist and wrote most of the other half.

The main riff in this song was his riff. Then we wrote the rest of it together as a band. :)

* On the studio album I played all the guitar. My bro did bass and vocals and the drums were all programmed.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #382 on: September 26, 2021, 03:13:36 PM »
I had a good drum today on my electro-acoustic kit.  Played to 30 mins of my old punk-metal band KOTOW's album.

We loved odd timings and only used 4/4 if the part sounded better.

I remember nobody outside of the band could get their heads around the timings of "Emergency Exit" :p

The verse is in 15 or 9/4 then 6/4. However you prefer to count it The chorus is in 3/4 and the middle 8 goes between 6/4 and 7/4 hehe.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1sNnDMtJUraYu7YEMQ5hkq?si=e126e7271bf04f2b

Here it is if anyone fancies a listen. When we existed as a band I was the drummer and I wrote half of the music. My bro was the bassist and vocalist and wrote most of the other half.

The main riff in this song was his riff. Then we wrote the rest of it together as a band. :)

* On the studio album I played all the guitar. My bro did bass and vocals and the drums were all programmed.

I'd love to give it a listen, but I don't do Spotify...is your stuff streaming on anything else?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: September 29, 2021, 07:57:43 PM »
So in my 45+ years of life, I had never read, heard, or uttered the word "conservatorship." But now because of whatever in the blue hell is going on with Britney Spears, I swear I see this word every couple days in a headline somewhere.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'