Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38413 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2021, 07:06:05 AM »
If any artist or any song/album, whatever, pisses you off that much (or really much at all), then that's about you.

I've written a good amount of music that I think is fantastic, but no one else gives a damn about. I would kill to be able to write something catchy and simple enough that I both liked and other people would like. But I can't. I can write a 30 minute song. I can write concept albums. I can write in constantly changed time signatures. I can write polyrhythms. Yet a song that other people connect to and really enjoy eludes me. That's my loss, but I wouldn't be better than I was if I hated every pop artist who was able to pull it off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2021, 09:10:07 AM »
Ed Sheeran collaborates with Producer/Songwriters, those like Bruno Mars, whom many pop artists have collaborated with and who has many hits most don't know he produced or help write.

Some actually collaborate with Producers/Songwriters chosen by the label because the label wants a certain sound. So they collaborate to make that Ed Sheeran written song, into the modern pop hit.

Labels work with the artists to create a certain song or sound they want, like WAP and Old Town Road. Which is a trend I have been noticing, country rap.

There is nothing wrong with collaboration as most all singers do collaborate with musicians. Janis Joplin did this, the old Motown and Lounge Jazz relied on the collaboration of the musicians.

It's when the label decides to choose whom to hire to work with the artist for the collaboration because they want that certain style of song that sells and they can market on commercials, in the stores, during sports games, halftime shows, charity events, and the many other ways we get bombarded by the marketing of these songs.

That has an effect on how people listen to music as repetitive listens will make people enjoy the music. We all do that here, by giving an album/song/band more chances to like a certain song/album/bad.

In other words, those collaborations serve no purpose but to sell and market a product to the masses, so the people can buy the products in the commercials, go to the sporting events, and even do a global dance routine to. It's a way of using sound manipulation to convince people to buy. As people hear a famous song and turn their attention to wherever that song plays from.

This is what I imagined the NOMACS would pipe out - bland, emotionless , soulless sound.

:rollin :rollin

The NOMACS are the extreme of robots making music. Which is loud, unpleasant, and jarringly not good. As is presented on those NOMAC tracks live , and how loud as they could legally be. They were used as weapons.

Which relates to how modern music is made by the machine of the music industry. That's The Great Northern Empire, the music industry and it's manufactured NOMACS. While Gabriel represents the musician that just wants to play his music to people who will listen, and it's seen as a miracle as Human Music has gone obsolete, and Music is manufactured through the NOMACS and the music of the NOMACS is all that the people know as music. Hence why Faythe finding the Music Player is essential to how she began to know there is different, more soulfully, healing, music besides the Noise Machines.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2021, 10:29:02 AM »
Why do you get so worked up about Ed Sheeran?

Also I don't for a second think Ed Sheeran is 'lazy'. I'm pretty sure Ed has absolutely worked his ass off to get to the point where he's at now. As for the 'huge pile of shit' you claim it to be; it's the most streamed song on Spotify and has held that position since 21 September 2017. It's immensely popular and your opinion isn't going to change that. It's not a bad track and, guess what, it IS catchy. Else it wouldn't be that popular.

Spotify stats are pointless as most users just listen to the sponcered playlists and the big artists dominate those - any crap released by the likes of Bieber (take yummy for example) goes straight to the front of these playlists, and tracks only require 30 seconds of listening to register as a play.

Put I like this if a Dream Theater song was put on as the first song on 'todays top hits' (the biggest playlist) for just one week, they'd earn more plays in that week with just one song than their entire catalogue earns in a year easily...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »
And that says something about what exactly?

Spotify stats aren’t pointless as they show you what songs get listened to the most. If people wouldn't like what they’re hearing, they could turn it off easily. Or they’re not actively listening at all, but that’s a different story altogether.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 12:57:45 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2021, 12:21:40 PM »
At the end of the day. Ed Sheeran makes the music he wants to make. And he chose to go the easy pop route with a simple style, because it sells.

The more you collaborate with other famous music artists the more people will listen to your song. People will listen just because a famous artist is in a song. Some people actually get confused and think a song is by the guest artist. Like how Justin Bieber guests in a song, but it's not a Justin Bieber song at all, yet people think it's a Justin Bieber song, that song is "Despacito" by Luis Fonsi.

I looked up more on Ed Sheeran and I applaud how he titles his albums. I think the next album is going to be called "/" (pronounced, "fraction").  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2021, 03:14:24 PM »
Please can a mod rename the thread the official Ed Sheeran thread just for Kotowboy.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »
Thread by committee.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2021, 04:16:46 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2021, 04:19:07 AM »

Because his music is so incredibly basic and generic for how staggeringly popular it is.

It would be like everyone suddenly going absolutely mental for bread and butter when roast dinners exist.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2021, 04:23:05 AM »
Same with Billie Eilish. Everyone raves about her music...then you hear it and go Really? THIS shit ?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2021, 05:00:21 AM »

Because his music is so incredibly basic and generic for how staggeringly popular it is.

It would be like everyone suddenly going absolutely mental for bread and butter when roast dinners exist.

Yet people eat bread and butter basically every day. You see why that analogy doesn't work?

Maybe 'basic and generic' are a prerequisite for being 'staggeringly popular'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2021, 05:13:00 AM »

Bread and butter is a perfect companion to a roast dinner.  Clean all the gravy off your plate with that fucker.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2021, 08:02:17 AM »
I get your frustration, kotowboy. I'm the same with a bunch of stuff. But it's not the stuff, it's us.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: July 05, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »
Also - if there was an Ed Sheeran thread - i'm not the type of person to go into a thread of an act I hate just to shit on them. I hate when people do that.

Since this is the General Music thread I figured it's ok  :D

To make up for it - maybe someone else could shit all over Green Day?   :biggrin:

Offline HOF

« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2021, 03:40:05 PM »
Also - if there was an Ed Sheeran thread - i'm not the type of person to go into a thread of an act I hate just to shit on them. I hate when people do that.

Since this is the General Music thread I figured it's ok  :D

To make up for it - maybe someone else could shit all over Green Day?   :biggrin:

Green Day definitely sucks.  :P :biggrin:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #295 on: July 05, 2021, 03:48:31 PM »
Yeah, Green Day are just the worst.

I agree about Billie Eilish though. And ever since she turned 18, she's been in full edge Lord mode, and I just want her to go away. Her music is bad enough. Billie Eilish did this. Billie Eilish said that. GO AWAY.

Sully Erna was right all along.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2021, 04:58:59 PM »
I guess it's a might of national pride with us Brits.  When you've had popular acts like the Beatles, stones, who, Bowie, Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, maiden, Depeche mode, queen, the spice girls**, Elton John, Radiohead, blur, Kate Bush, arctic monkeys, Adele, the cure etc.......going from those to sheeran is like Dracula to Twilight 😂. 

**Yup the Spices were far, far more fun than 50 shades of beige Sheeran

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:06:10 PM by soupytwist »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #297 on: July 07, 2021, 10:49:35 AM »

AND

Same with Billie Eilish. Everyone raves about her music...then you hear it and go Really? THIS shit ?

But this is the part I don't understand, even a little bit.  It's popular, so MOST people AREN'T saying "Really? THIS shit?"   They like it. Why is your taste - which you don't really have any active say in - more relevant than theirs?    I LOVED Iron Maiden when I was 15, and I thought (rightly! Haha) that they were the best band on the planet.  They are good, but they aren't - here in the States - at the level of Ed Sheeran or One Direction, who my daughter thought were the best on the planet when she was 15.   Why was my observation any more valid than hers? 

Online Adami

« Reply #298 on: July 07, 2021, 10:59:12 AM »
Dammit Stads, don’t ask that question! It’s just inviting WildRanger to engage.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2021, 11:13:50 AM »
Yeah, that was an uncomfortable question to read.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #300 on: August 01, 2021, 10:39:31 PM »
You know, part of me doesn't want to bump this thread to talk more about Ed Sheeran (and I'm a fan of the guy), but I thought this is something that we can explore talking about or not.  Here's a video of him creating a song with Japanese Rock band, One OK Rock.  The song is called Renegades.  The dude did not contribute vocals at all and I don't think he's in the credits on the guitar work, but he is in the credits for the songwriting part.  I honestly think, like Dave Grohl at times, if there is someone of name value regardless of genre that Ed has an eye on working with, he wants in on it whether it would be for one of his songs or one of their songs.  Bonus points for Ed since he's carrying a giant Snorlax Pokemon plushie at the 0:20 mark of the making of the song video.  I just wanted to point this out for discussion or non-discussion.

ONE OK ROCK - Making of Renegades #1

ONE OK ROCK - Renegades Japanese Version [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO]

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #301 on: August 06, 2021, 08:46:03 PM »
It's funny when music just taps this inner ...thing..that you have. What are we at our musical core?

I'm going on a musical journey. One that I fucking missed the first time around. When we are 14,15,16 y/o, we pick our favorite bands over dozens of choices. But there are things we leave behind that even in your 50's, need to be revisited. There was a reason you grabbed at it in he first place. Some things were right under your nose the whole time.

We strive to find the next thing, beat the next guy to the recommendation. My 16 y/o self had tons of recommendations. It's time I followed up.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2021, 02:54:47 PM »
That is, like... deep, man.

Still... following!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2021, 04:15:46 PM »
When I was a teen / early twenties I would listen to the alternative / late night radio shows every single day and discover new bands.

Now i'm 42 I listen to my fave bands and that's it.

I can't remember the last NEW band I got into. . . .

Probably Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. But even that was because of oasis and ever they're ten years old at this point.

Online Adami

« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
When I was a teen / early twenties I would listen to the alternative / late night radio shows every single day and discover new bands.

Probably Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. But even that was because of oasis and ever they're ten years old at this point.

It's weird, I don't think I've gotten into much new rock/metal in the last few years. Maybe Jinjer? Forgot when that was.

But I'm probably more likely to explore new pop music now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: August 08, 2021, 04:32:05 PM »
I can't think of the most recent heavy band I discovered.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: August 08, 2021, 06:52:38 PM »

It's weird, I don't think I've gotten into much new rock/metal in the last few years. Maybe Jinjer? Forgot when that was.

But I'm probably more likely to explore new pop music now.

I feel the opposite. A while back I sort of got tired of listening to all the same stuff over and over again and I started practice of listening to a brand new album every single morning. I keep this monster list of albums I've always wanted to listen to, or have seen mentioned and listen front to back in the morning. I love it, I've discovered some really fantastic stuff and some truly terrible music but the discovery of it is really enjoyable.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2021, 07:33:24 PM »
I feel like the last big "hard rock/heavy metal" band I discovered was Coheed & Cambria and Mastodon and that was mainly to prep myself to see their co-headlining show back in 2019.

Actually, after looking at my Spotify playlist, the last rock band I discovered was The Hu and that was to get ready to see their show in late 2019.  Nowadays, I've been in the rabbit hole of JPop and JRock and I really haven't gotten out of it and I have very little reason to get invested to go back into listening to Active Rock stuff that you would hear on Octane.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2021, 08:35:58 PM »
...I started practice of listening to a brand new album every single morning. I keep this monster list of albums I've always wanted to listen to, or have seen mentioned and listen front to back in the morning. I love it, I've discovered some really fantastic stuff and some truly terrible music but the discovery of it is really enjoyable.

Cool idea.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #309 on: August 09, 2021, 09:18:02 AM »
It's funny when music just taps this inner ...thing..that you have. What are we at our musical core?

I'm going on a musical journey. One that I fucking missed the first time around. When we are 14,15,16 y/o, we pick our favorite bands over dozens of choices. But there are things we leave behind that even in your 50's, need to be revisited. There was a reason you grabbed at it in he first place. Some things were right under your nose the whole time.

We strive to find the next thing, beat the next guy to the recommendation. My 16 y/o self had tons of recommendations. It's time I followed up.

I love this.  And I couple it with a sort of "I'm 50 and don't give a shit" approach, and I find I get far more joy out of music than I ever did.   My 16-year-old self would never be caught dead listening to Taylor Swift (or the version that existed in 1983), but I get tremendous joy from her music now.

I like that notion of "core", too.  For me I've found that I like things with melody, I like things with interesting harmonies and harmonics (for lack of a better word); I like things with legato lines (that means long sustained notes, as opposed to staccato, sort of rhythmic lines), especially vocal lines.  I love long sustained vocal lines, that guys like Sting and Elton John use; I HATE that sort of sing-song, hip-hoppy singing that guys like Anthony Keidis and Fred Durst use.   There are no rules here, but that's the general idea.   I still just "like" something; I don't put a lot of thought in to what I "like" or not, but it's interesting to see in hindsight what I generally gravitate to.

EDIT: I will say this; I had to sort of get my arms around (and I still struggle with this) the idea that there's just too much music out there.   I just put in an order on Discogs and I got one of Nuno Bettencourt's records after leaving Extreme and I listened to it a coupe times and I'm just like, yeah, I'm a completist, but I'm never going to listen to this ever again.  I just have to decide what it is I want to spend my time on.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:33:43 AM by Stadler »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #310 on: August 09, 2021, 01:16:36 PM »
I'm 38 and in the last 4-5 years I've listened to more new music than ever. I'll admit that I find it really hard to find a band that hits me hard nowadays, but a shit ton of it is stuff I get a lot of enjoyment out of and play to death (just not in the way I did when I first discovered metal).

The amount of music out there now (and how easy it is to access it all) is definitely a blessing and a curse. I am always on the quest for the next thing that blows me away, but the flip side is I don't spend as much time listening to albums I really dig (not in a I'll spin it 5 times in a row kinda way). Also, the more bands you love, the more new albums by said bands need checking out each year. When you can easily say you are pretty huge fan of more than 100 bands then it becomes so difficult to divide your time between them all.

I still absolutely fucking love it though! I don't really watch much TV or game anymore so music is my thing, and I an all in!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #311 on: August 09, 2021, 01:27:17 PM »
I am 48, and definitely listening to more new music now than I ever have before.  I absolutely love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #313 on: August 30, 2021, 07:30:33 PM »
I am 48, and definitely listening to more new music now than I ever have before.  I absolutely love it.

Would you say the popular music is what you're digging or not popular but creative?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #314 on: August 30, 2021, 08:37:28 PM »
I'm 38 and in the last 4-5 years I've listened to more new music than ever. I'll admit that I find it really hard to find a band that hits me hard nowadays, but a shit ton of it is stuff I get a lot of enjoyment out of and play to death (just not in the way I did when I first discovered metal).

The amount of music out there now (and how easy it is to access it all) is definitely a blessing and a curse. I am always on the quest for the next thing that blows me away, but the flip side is I don't spend as much time listening to albums I really dig (not in a I'll spin it 5 times in a row kinda way). Also, the more bands you love, the more new albums by said bands need checking out each year. When you can easily say you are pretty huge fan of more than 100 bands then it becomes so difficult to divide your time between them all.

I still absolutely fucking love it though! I don't really watch much TV or game anymore so music is my thing, and I an all in!!

Yeah, this sort of thing is the bane of my existence.  I always have this lingering thought that there is music out there I have never heard before that I would like as much or more than the music I already enjoy.  And I continually prove myself right.  It's very cyclical, I go through periods where I'm listening to half a dozen+ new albums a day, and others where I don't listen to anything new at all.  I felt like I had kind of a dry spell around spring of '18 to around the time of the pandemic.  I discovered less new interesting music in that period that in probably any other time I can think of in decades.  Various changes in life circumstances around then have given me more listening time than in quite awhile, and I've made countless discoveries in the past year and a half, many of which I have yet to really absorb.  It's still an exciting endeavor, knowing the next great band might be right around the corner.  Apportioning listening time is always a precarious balance, between comfort music, familiarizing myself more with artists I like but don't yet know intimately, and evaluating undiscovered artists.  It's even trickier when you try and have a broad variety of different styles to draw from, as depth can often be sacrificed for superficial familiarity. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:44:24 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »