Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38650 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #315 on: August 30, 2021, 09:51:19 PM »
I'm the opposite.  I'm 37 but the last couple of years I've  listened to less new music than I ever have.  Time is a big issue but find it hard for things to stick these days.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #316 on: September 01, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »
I am 48, and definitely listening to more new music now than I ever have before.  I absolutely love it.

Would you say the popular music is what you're digging or not popular but creative?
Some of both.

Definitely more pop music, but other music, I guess indie rock and other forms, that are a lot more creative than standard Top 40 music.  Also a lot of other genres like jazz, bluegrass, whatever really.  Good music is good music, and you can find good music in any genre.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2021, 01:14:27 PM »
Somehow I missed Crimson Glory and Tygers Of Pan Tang. Even though my collection is huge. Anyhoo...songs from both bands came up on my Amazon discovery station and they were both great. Now I need to dig into their discographies.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2021, 01:19:31 PM »
Somehow I missed Crimson Glory and Tygers Of Pan Tang. Even though my collection is huge. Anyhoo...songs from both bands came up on my Amazon discovery station and they were both great. Now I need to dig into their discographies.

I passed on Crimson Glory in the 80's as well. I thought they looked ridiculous, and never had any interest in checking them out.

I did buy two Tygers albums (on vinyl) and still have them. Wild Cat and Spellbound. Spellbound has John Sykes on it. I love Wild Cat.
They have also released an album or two in recent years and what I heard was more than solid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
Cool! I love Sykes so I'll make that my first album to listen to.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: September 13, 2021, 06:54:40 AM »
Does anyone have that one band that literally everyone you meet or know or talk to is like " OH MAN OF COURSE I LOVE THEM " but you're like  :huh: I just don't hear it...

To me it's RUSH. Not " they suck " or anything. Nothing i've heard from them has ever grabbed me. I was on a car ride with a friend once

and he put on a Rush best of - and truthfully I didn't like a single song.

Which goes with my belief that if some band or musician is considered " legendary " then a lot of people will just accept that and buy all their albums

and convince themselves it's great.

I knew a guy once who was just like that. If the music press loved a band or album - he'd rush out and buy it and recite reviews as to whey HE liked it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #321 on: September 13, 2021, 07:42:07 AM »
Does anyone have that one band that literally everyone you meet or know or talk to is like " OH MAN OF COURSE I LOVE THEM " but you're like  :huh: I just don't hear it...

To me it's RUSH. Not " they suck " or anything. Nothing i've heard from them has ever grabbed me. I was on a car ride with a friend once

Which goes with my belief that if some band or musician is considered " legendary " then a lot of people will just accept that and buy all their albums

I knew a guy once who was just like that. If the music press loved a band or album - he'd rush out and buy it and recite reviews as to whey HE liked it.

Nah, people like Rush because they are great. Certainly not because it is cool or fashionable to like them.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #322 on: September 13, 2021, 07:43:35 AM »
Yea, the idea that people like things you don't and have ulterior motivations beyond just genuinely enjoying it is quite strange.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #323 on: September 13, 2021, 07:50:56 AM »
 Now Metallica, that’s a band people only like because they are sheep. ;-)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #324 on: September 13, 2021, 07:55:51 AM »

What I don't understand is how you connect "I was on a car ride with a friend once and he put on a Rush best of" to "Which goes with my belief that if some band or musician is considered " legendary " then a lot of people will just accept that and buy all their albums and convince themselves it's great."

Is it possible your friend just liked Rush? And maybe you don't? And maybe that's just no big deal?

Also, one friend buying music he reads about in the press (which isn't all that unusual) does not necessarily mean that is the norm for the population at large.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: September 13, 2021, 08:05:59 AM »
What I don't understand is how you connect "I was on a car ride with a friend once and he put on a Rush best of" to "Which goes with my belief that if some band or musician is considered " legendary " then a lot of people will just accept that and buy all their albums and convince themselves it's great."

:-* I didn't. You did. You assumed that me hearing an album on a trip meant the person I was with only liked them cause he 'was supposed to'..

Not the same person :-* . . . . . . . . . .

Me hearing an entire Best Of convinced me I wasn't a fan.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #326 on: September 13, 2021, 08:07:00 AM »

:-* I didn't. You did. You assumed that me hearing an album on a trip meant the person I was with only liked them cause he 'was supposed to'..

Not the same person :-* . . . . . . . . . .

Gotcha.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: September 13, 2021, 08:07:52 AM »
Yea, the idea that people like things you don't and have ulterior motivations beyond just genuinely enjoying it is quite strange.

Yes that's what I said.

And definitely didn't say " People who only listen to music that the music press tells them to whether they actually love it or not " :-*
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:13:14 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: September 13, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »
Now Metallica, that’s a band people only like because they are sheep. ;-)

Totes ;D

EDIT : actually - funnily enough the album that made me a fan was Reload. I didn't hear the 80s albums til MUCH later. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2021, 08:21:22 AM »
You definitely linked your experience with the Rush dude to the idea that people will convince themselves to like popular artists because they're told to. But whatever, you do you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: September 13, 2021, 09:10:01 AM »
Thanks. I will. 😊😊

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #331 on: September 13, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »
I know some dudes who seem to love (almost) everything metal and that makes me scratch my head and think we must be absorbing music in different ways.

Differences are strangely hard to accept sometimes.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: September 13, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »
Exactly. I also have a friend who only listens to Metal and genuinely ranks albums on how heavy they are not how good.
inb4 wtf is wrong with that KB?!

« Last Edit: Tomorrow at 25:13:14 by Kotowboy »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »

Not quite the same thing but I know a couple of people who will say Queen is their favourite band, but the only thing they will own by them is the Greatest Hits 1 & 2.  They don't own a single studio album by them though.  This is probably quite common (in the UK) as those Greatest Hits compilations are the biggest selling albums of all time.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »

That's Metallica for me.

I do enjoy some of their songs across all their albums, but I just do not see them as "legendary".

Music is weird for me, in that a song can be played so consistently everywhere to the point I see no need to purchase the music. Enter Sandman is a song where I will not go out of my way to listen to. When it does come on, depending on my mood, I will still enjoy it as if it was my first time hearing it, that is only after not listening to it for quite a while.

For me, Legendary in music should include having a vast discography of music released. Rush is definitely deserving of that status of Legendary.

My question to you is...What is it about Rush that you can't seem to grasp that other people seem to rave about?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: September 13, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »
Nothing i've heard from RUSH has grabbed me. I don't like the guitar sound. Not into Geddy's voice. He can obviously play drums but i'm not a fan of Peart's STYLE.

Peart to me always looked so stiff when he was playing and I'm not into his drumparts.

IMO Dream Theater are better than RUSH by a long way.

TOOL are legendary to a lot of people but they only have five albums. Are DT more legendary than TOOL simply because they have fifteen albums ?

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #336 on: September 13, 2021, 01:37:46 PM »
I feel we're moving into WildRanger territory here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #337 on: September 13, 2021, 01:38:28 PM »
I feel we're moving into WildRanger territory here.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #338 on: September 13, 2021, 01:50:48 PM »
Certainly looks like it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #339 on: September 13, 2021, 01:59:36 PM »

Why would you think that?  Who would do that?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #340 on: September 13, 2021, 02:02:56 PM »
Nothing i've heard from RUSH has grabbed me. I don't like the guitar sound. Not into Geddy's voice. He can obviously play drums but i'm not a fan of Peart's STYLE.

Peart to me always looked so stiff when he was playing and I'm not into his drumparts.

TOOL are legendary to a lot of people but they only have five albums. Are DT more legendary than TOOL simply because they have fifteen albums ?

Just to illustrate how much of a taste thing this is, I thought Portnoy was the most amazing drummer ever, and then I really delved into Rush and felt like Peart was just on a whole other level. For me, the way Peart would compose his parts and structure his fills was just so much more musical and engaging than a lot of the stuff MP does. Same for comparing the overall songwriting between both bands. Rush’s music just seems to have a lot more intellectual and emotional depth than DT’s to me. But of course everyone has a different reaction to things, and different things they value in music. I can appreciate some of the more over the top compositions DT does to an extent, but that isn’t what tends to move me the most in music.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #341 on: September 13, 2021, 02:03:03 PM »
Some stuff just doesn't hit you/turns you off. My missus hates Geddy's voice so much that it's comical. I can understand it, actually.

Not digging Peart or Lifeson or Geddy's bass playing? Well, that I don't get. :) But that's cool.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #342 on: September 13, 2021, 02:08:54 PM »

I do think there are external factors to the music that influence people to listen to and "like" certain music though.  There is social cachet from being affiliated with certain artists are particular times.  In some situations it's whatever the hit pop music is, in underground circles it can be specific respected artists, or sometimes it's newer, upcoming bands that aren't yet overexposed.  For some of these there is a wave of hype that will fade years down the road and many people will abandon these bands when their 15 minutes is up. 

Also, one friend buying music he reads about in the press (which isn't all that unusual) does not necessarily mean that is the norm for the population at large.

Yeah, there are a lot of people that can have their taste summed up by them as "whatever's on the radio". 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »

To me, Yes. And that is not just because they have more albums than Tool.

Although I do enjoy Tool a lot. I also do not consider them really Legendary. They're Legendary in a Barney Stinson kind of way.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: September 13, 2021, 03:43:18 PM »

Yeah, there are a lot of people that can have their taste summed up by them as "whatever's on the radio".

+1 Or like someone else said " Oh I love this band " = 'I like that one song I hear all the time and couldn't name a single member of the band or any album.'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
I also occasionally run into the type that I initially think are going to be into metal quite deeply as they often wear metal shirts, but it turns out they LOVE like two quite different quality acts (eg. Maiden and Five Finger Death Punch) and have NO interest in anything else at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2021, 04:08:41 PM »
Haha insert clueless teen in NIRVANA or Ramones t shirt here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2021, 04:19:47 PM »
I made up a joke about this...

" Oh you like Megadeth ? Name 12 of their bass players..."

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2021, 05:44:29 PM »
You're joking, but if you picked a different instrument you wouldn't have to be.  They have literally had 14 different guitar players.  I could only name 9 off the top of my head though.  The others are short-stint live players. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2021, 05:54:55 PM »

I also occasionally run into the type that I initially think are going to be into metal quite deeply as they often wear metal shirts, but it turns out they LOVE like two quite different quality acts (eg. Maiden and Five Finger Death Punch) and have NO interest in anything else at all.

Haha insert clueless teen in NIRVANA or Ramones t shirt here.

I honestly would place some blame towards Hot Topic. That store rose in popularity with the metal scene, until it slowly started being took over and turned into a trend and fashion.
I