Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38606 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2021, 05:05:31 AM »
I don't get it either. What's the big deal with songwriting teams?

Does this mean we can't enjoy musical theater or film music anymore either? What about collaborations?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2021, 05:18:07 AM »
I don't get it either. What's the big deal with songwriting teams?

Does this mean we can't enjoy musical theater or film music anymore either? What about collaborations?

I just don't see how collaborating with multiple people hurts Sheerans integrity or image, regardless of what I think of him.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #247 on: June 30, 2021, 05:32:11 AM »
I'm not an Ed Sheeran fan whatsoever but I'm confused.  What is the big issue if he collaborates with other songwriters?  Having a quick look on wiki his name is credited on every one of his own songs so I don't understand why it's so offensive.

It's not at all.  I am not a fan of Ed Sheeran - every song I have heard by him sounds like what watching paint dry must sound like if set to music - but the guy is obviously a songwriter.  There is obviously a big difference between a songwriter who likes to collaborate and someone who needs a team to write all of their songs because they can't on their own.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2021, 05:41:14 AM »
I'm not an Ed Sheeran fan whatsoever but I'm confused.  What is the big issue if he collaborates with other songwriters?  Having a quick look on wiki his name is credited on every one of his own songs so I don't understand why it's so offensive.

It's not at all.  I am not a fan of Ed Sheeran - every song I have heard by him sounds like what watching paint dry must sound like if set to music - but the guy is obviously a songwriter.  There is obviously a big difference between a songwriter who likes to collaborate and someone who needs a team to write all of their songs because they can't on their own.

That's exactly right.  He's obviously different to a flat out manufactured pop singer that gets everything written for them and they are just there to sing and be there for the image.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2021, 05:45:44 AM »

That's exactly right.  He's obviously different to a flat out manufactured pop singer that gets everything written for them and they are just there to sing and be there for the image.

Yep. And to be fair, some have talents elsewhere, just not when it comes to songwriting.  Take Whitney Houston, who couldn't write a song to save her life, but was blessed with a voice from the heavens.  Contrast that to someone like Bob Dylan, widely considered one of the greatest songwriters of all time, yet has a voice from, well, hell.  :lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2021, 05:55:38 AM »
The great Aussie John Farnham comes to mind.  Did a little writing but mainly had all his songs written by other songwriters.  However is an absolute Aussie legend and possibly the greatest most powerful voice our country has ever produced.  Him not writing a lot of his own songs never came into conversation.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #251 on: June 30, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »
Rod Stewart.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #252 on: June 30, 2021, 08:50:54 AM »
Ed Sheeran collaborates with Producer/Songwriters, those like Bruno Mars, whom many pop artists have collaborated with and who has many hits most don't know he produced or help write.

Some actually collaborate with Producers/Songwriters chosen by the label because the label wants a certain sound. So they collaborate to make that Ed Sheeran written song, into the modern pop hit.

Labels work with the artists to create a certain song or sound they want, like WAP and Old Town Road. Which is a trend I have been noticing, country rap.

There is nothing wrong with collaboration as most all singers do collaborate with musicians. Janis Joplin did this, the old Motown and Lounge Jazz relied on the collaboration of the musicians.

It's when the label decides to choose whom to hire to work with the artist for the collaboration because they want that certain style of song that sells and they can market on commercials, in the stores, during sports games, halftime shows, charity events, and the many other ways we get bombarded by the marketing of these songs.

That has an effect on how people listen to music as repetitive listens will make people enjoy the music. We all do that here, by giving an album/song/band more chances to like a certain song/album/bad.

In other words, those collaborations serve no purpose but to sell and market a product to the masses, so the people can buy the products in the commercials, go to the sporting events, and even do a global dance routine to. It's a way of using sound manipulation to convince people to buy. As people hear a famous song and turn their attention to wherever that song plays from.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: June 30, 2021, 09:11:21 AM »
I don't get the dismissal of Sheeran either, my wife is a big fan and I've listened to his albums multiple times. He is a fantastic songwriter and an spectacular performer having seen him live multiple times. There is nothing wrong with collaborating with other musicians/writers.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: June 30, 2021, 09:11:36 AM »
I enjoyed the KISSTORY 2 part documentary on A & E
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2021, 10:06:48 AM »
I don't get the dismissal of Sheeran either, my wife is a big fan and I've listened to his albums multiple times. He is a fantastic songwriter and an spectacular performer having seen him live multiple times. There is nothing wrong with collaborating with other musicians/writers.

Yup there is no problem.

What I feel Kowtow is meaning is he doesn't enjoy when music is mass produced for the sole purpose of generating a hit song and marketing that song for profits. Which most of these pop artists are. Even though they may collaborate with other musicians to create songs. In the end, those songs were made with the sole intention of using the song for mass marketing and promotion of products. And the lyrics of these marketing songs all relate to their target audience they market these songs to.

These major labels cater to these artists and neglect the others that don't go with flow of their desires. The labels will spend their budget on these artists with promotion and show production costs.

Hence, it is a good reason why artists have begun being independent and creating their own labels, so they won't have to be under the big labels desires and requests.

Yet, they won't get these promotions, marketing, and huge show productions because they don't have the budget like these big labels do. And will only get them if they cater to that label.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2021, 11:42:55 AM »
But that isn't for us to decide.   Bruce Springsteen - now - is candid that for all his "The Boss", Asbury Park cred, he wanted people to buy and enjoy his music.  He wasn't making music for six people to enjoy in their basement.  He always had his eye on being in a stadium playing to massive amounts of people.

Kiss as well; I don't understand this quaint idea that someone ought to make music to be heard by no one.  Don't kid yourself: any of the bands we see regularly in 1,500 seat theaters would take Metallica's gig - playing stadiums - in a HEARTBEAT.

The thing with Sheeran is, even if the songs were "by committee" (they aren't) he opened for T-Swiftie and went out every night in a STADIUM by himself with a guitar and a loop box and entertained people for an hour.   I can't listen to him (I make fun of him all the time to my daughter) but I have no choice but to respect him and what he does.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2021, 02:23:15 PM »
But that isn't for us to decide.   Bruce Springsteen - now - is candid that for all his "The Boss", Asbury Park cred, he wanted people to buy and enjoy his music.  He wasn't making music for six people to enjoy in their basement.  He always had his eye on being in a stadium playing to massive amounts of people.

Kiss as well; I don't understand this quaint idea that someone ought to make music to be heard by no one.  Don't kid yourself: any of the bands we see regularly in 1,500 seat theaters would take Metallica's gig - playing stadiums - in a HEARTBEAT.

The thing with Sheeran is, even if the songs were "by committee" (they aren't) he opened for T-Swiftie and went out every night in a STADIUM by himself with a guitar and a loop box and entertained people for an hour.   I can't listen to him (I make fun of him all the time to my daughter) but I have no choice but to respect him and what he does.

Exactly.

I went to see Kiss, because I wanted to see Kiss. And if I want to see Ed Sheeran, I probably would as well. If some big name comes here, I might go just to see them.

I respect they're all doing what they want and enjoy doing it.

I also understand Kotows reasoning as to why he wouldnt like those songs.

Somehow, I don't really pay attention to the song that is playing while I am out in stores and have not heard much of an Ed Sheeran song that if it came up, I wouldn't even know if it was him or some other singer songwriter.

Like all music, I am sure he has one song that I will enjoy immensely.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2021, 02:46:35 PM »
But with Sheeran, do we know it's the record label pushing the songwriters on him to produce a certain style or does Sheeran source and collaborate with the people he does by choice?

I know what you are saying too Ben.  I've watched the downfall of Frontiers records over the years.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: July 01, 2021, 10:16:23 PM »
But with Sheeran, do we know it's the record label pushing the songwriters on him to produce a certain style or does Sheeran source and collaborate with the people he does by choice?

I know what you are saying too Ben.  I've watched the downfall of Frontiers records over the years.

Unless he's a bald-faced liar, it's HIM, not the record company. He's been on Stern a couple times and talked about that.  He also has a lot of friends in the industry, and likes to work with him. 

Online HOF

« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2021, 10:48:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've never knowingly heard an Ed Sheeran song.

I don't have an opinion on him one way or another. He just doesn't really exist in my world, and I've never had any reason to seek his music out or occasion to hear it without seeking it out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:09:00 PM by HOF »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: July 01, 2021, 10:57:15 PM »

Unless he's a bald-faced liar, it's HIM, not the record company. He's been on Stern a couple times and talked about that.  He also has a lot of friends in the industry, and likes to work with him.

Well there you go.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2021, 10:59:38 PM »
Likewise I cannot say if I have heard anything of his. I might change that tomorrow, if I think of it, which is doubtful. Unless he is still the topic of this thread.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 12:12:57 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2021, 05:42:35 AM »

I don't have an opinion on him one way or another. He just doesn't really exist in my world, and I've never had any reason to seek his music out or occasion to hear it without seeking it out.

That would surprise me, frankly, only because he was everywhere for a while there.  But who knows? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: July 02, 2021, 07:20:42 AM »

That would surprise me, frankly, only because he was everywhere for a while there.  But who knows?

Ok, then let me try..

I’m pretty sure I’ve never knowingly heard an Ed Sheeran song. :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: July 02, 2021, 05:04:14 PM »
" The Shape Of You " is all over the place. You must have heard it in passing. It's teh one with a 2 bar loop for 5 minutes which sounds like a Glockenspiel playing triads

and Ed going " Im in love with the shape of you oh wa oh wa oh wa oh Im in love with your body oh wa oh wa oh wa oh wa oh "

Or " I don't care " the song he did with Justin Bieber which goes " I dont carw when im with my baby yeah " and then a high pitched bird like sound " oooh a ooh a oh a oh "

That's another trend - the mumbling 3 note verse or the Woah oh oh oh chorus that 100s of pop songs have.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2021, 08:29:27 PM »
I would never hear a song and think "that sounds like traids" because I have no idea what the heck a triad is.  :lol

Ok, I checked it out, and it was vaguely familiar. Sounds like one of the songs the club I used to frequent would play between sets when the band took a break.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online HOF

« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2021, 08:38:19 PM »
" The Shape Of You " is all over the place. You must have heard it in passing. It's teh one with a 2 bar loop for 5 minutes which sounds like a Glockenspiel playing triads

and Ed going " Im in love with the shape of you oh wa oh wa oh wa oh Im in love with your body oh wa oh wa oh wa oh wa oh "

Or " I don't care " the song he did with Justin Bieber which goes " I dont carw when im with my baby yeah " and then a high pitched bird like sound " oooh a ooh a oh a oh "

That's another trend - the mumbling 3 note verse or the Woah oh oh oh chorus that 100s of pop songs have.

Neither sound familiar, but the voice does. Maybe I’ve heard him before or maybe it’s just the generic pop singer voice of the moment. Both songs were pretty blah.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #268 on: July 03, 2021, 01:50:03 AM »

It is mainly a two bar loop, yes, but that's simplifying it. The song isn't even 4 minutes long, let alone 5. It's not a glockenspiel and they're not triads.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #269 on: July 03, 2021, 04:16:58 AM »
Ed Sheeran collaborates with Producer/Songwriters, those like Bruno Mars, whom many pop artists have collaborated with and who has many hits most don't know he produced or help write.

Some actually collaborate with Producers/Songwriters chosen by the label because the label wants a certain sound. So they collaborate to make that Ed Sheeran written song, into the modern pop hit.

Labels work with the artists to create a certain song or sound they want, like WAP and Old Town Road. Which is a trend I have been noticing, country rap.

There is nothing wrong with collaboration as most all singers do collaborate with musicians. Janis Joplin did this, the old Motown and Lounge Jazz relied on the collaboration of the musicians.

It's when the label decides to choose whom to hire to work with the artist for the collaboration because they want that certain style of song that sells and they can market on commercials, in the stores, during sports games, halftime shows, charity events, and the many other ways we get bombarded by the marketing of these songs.

That has an effect on how people listen to music as repetitive listens will make people enjoy the music. We all do that here, by giving an album/song/band more chances to like a certain song/album/bad.

In other words, those collaborations serve no purpose but to sell and market a product to the masses, so the people can buy the products in the commercials, go to the sporting events, and even do a global dance routine to. It's a way of using sound manipulation to convince people to buy. As people hear a famous song and turn their attention to wherever that song plays from.

This is what I imagined the NOMACS would pipe out - bland, emotionless , soulless sound.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: July 03, 2021, 04:47:27 AM »

It is mainly a two bar loop, yes, but that's simplifying it. The song isn't even 4 minutes long, let alone 5. It's not a glockenspiel and they're not triads.

"Sounds like"

Anyway it's a huge pile of shit and i've heard it 20 million times too many. It's the most basic basic basic 'song' imaginable.

It's 3:53 which is closer to 4 minutes. 4 minutes of the same two bars going round and round.

And " Strip it down " or whatever it's called is even worse.

[ edit - that's by Liam Payne apparently - not that you'd know they all sound the same ]

[ edit 2 - jesus fucking christ - that song is unbelievably basic and has FIFTEEN credited writers. One of which is Ed Sheeran obviously. FIFTEEN. for a drum beat - a bass part and vocal . OMFG ]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 04:53:28 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #271 on: July 03, 2021, 04:50:34 AM »
If not liking Ed Sheeran makes me a music snob, I'm fine with that.
Most of his songs are beige, apart from the ones that are irritating like Galway Girl.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: July 03, 2021, 04:52:10 AM »
Yes i'm fine with it too. When I heard he'd done a song with Justine Bebo - I instantly knew exactly how it would sound.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: July 03, 2021, 04:56:58 AM »
If a 4 minute track with just a drum machine a bass line and a vocal can has 15 credited writers - several of which are only there because despite being incredibly basic - you've still ripped

someone off is good songwriting - then you bet i'm a music snob for having written a 9 minute song in 9/4 time with several different sections and switches to 4/4 in the chorus.

By Myself. AND I played all the instruments.

:coolio :hat

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2021, 05:01:36 AM »
Yes i'm fine with it too. When I heard he'd done a song with Justine Bebo - I instantly knew exactly how it would sound.

I'm all for a good popular slab of pop music like 'Blinding Lights' for example, but that Sheeran/Bieber song is pure anti-music,  there is nothing going on at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2021, 05:19:49 AM »
And it has that weird bird sound hook like all pop songs do now. Either that or the Woah oh oh oh oh .

Like I said - I have a big Spotify playlist of all the pop songs I actually really like.

"Love Love" by Take That for example is a huge pop song that's actually VERY catchy and well written.  AND is only credited to the 5 guys in the group....

Which is why it's so infuriating that unbearably LAZY music like E.S. is *SO* popular.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2021, 06:07:44 AM »
Why do you get so worked up about Ed Sheeran?

Also I don't for a second think Ed Sheeran is 'lazy'. I'm pretty sure Ed has absolutely worked his ass off to get to the point where he's at now. As for the 'huge pile of shit' you claim it to be; it's the most streamed song on Spotify and has held that position since 21 September 2017. It's immensely popular and your opinion isn't going to change that. It's not a bad track and, guess what, it IS catchy. Else it wouldn't be that popular.
Squ

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2021, 06:29:17 AM »
Yea Ed isn't lazy, furthermore go watch some live clips of him, he is a very talented guitar player.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2021, 06:31:35 AM »
Why do you get so worked up about Ed Sheeran?

Also I don't for a second think Ed Sheeran is 'lazy'. I'm pretty sure Ed has absolutely worked his ass off to get to the point where he's at now. As for the 'huge pile of shit' you claim it to be; it's the most streamed song on Spotify and has held that position since 21 September 2017. It's immensely popular and your opinion isn't going to change that. It's not a bad track and, guess what, it IS catchy. Else it wouldn't be that popular.

More money and chicks I'm guessing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2021, 06:53:10 AM »
Again, I am not a fan of Sheeran, but there is nothing wrong with a simple or basic song.  Trust me, most of these bands that write songs in odd time sigs would give their left arm if they had the ability to write a simple song that was hugely popular and spoke to the masses.  Let's not act like writing a simple, catchy song is easy, because if it were, everyone would do it.