Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 151697 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The Monkey Puzzle
« Reply #1715 on: November 09, 2020, 04:13:16 PM »
Just about finished TMP now.  Will post some thoughts soon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1716 on: November 09, 2020, 04:14:05 PM »
The Ride kicks off nicely but the singer sounds Japanese! Is he?
I'm assuming scandanavian form his name but this sounds like Vow Wow or something.

He does sound Japanese.

He's from Finland, actually.

Just about finished TMP now.  Will post some thoughts soon.

:tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: November 09, 2020, 04:41:19 PM »
I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than I remembered.  However, I don't remember it being this laid back and soft.  Tim's analogy of UFO doing the Rolling Stones on some songs is on point.  Most of what's on offer here I actually found quite enjoyable.  Vinnie seems to find his feet more here and plays more to his natural style I believe.  He adds some really amazing guitar work on a lot of these songs.

Hard Being Me was a typical opener but Heavenly Body I really liked.  Great swagger and Phil sounds great here.  A bit of a misrepresentation of the album though as it's gets softer but those 3 songs Tim mentions are indeed very nice.  I think I don't mind this one and enjoyed it more than YAH presently because it is a bit different.  I was surprised I enjoyed listening being so soft.  hard to explain.  It didn't blow me away, but it's nice and the production is fucking excellent.

Vinnie's guitar work especially on Drink Too Much is wonderful.  It does taper off towards the end with the style but the closer was a nice tune to end with.  Nothing fabulous here but a pleasent listen nevertheless.  I can see though being a fan and following the band that this would have been quite disappointing at the time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1718 on: November 09, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »
Totally fair comments, Kade. I appreciate it.

Yes, Vinnie is great on Drink Too Much.

This album is really easy on the ears.
I did a quick album ranking and this album is in the  13-15 range. 

Lyrically Phil still has it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1719 on: November 09, 2020, 04:56:52 PM »
I think that might have been a reason why it was okay to me this morning.  Easy on the ears is a great way to put this album Tim.  Feeling pretty tired and worn down this morning and there was a lot of traffic coming in so managed to sit through the whole thing, so the mood and situation fit the album nicely.

Vinnie's guitar work sends some of these songs into melodic rock/AOR territory too which I found quite interesting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1720 on: November 09, 2020, 04:59:53 PM »
They take this style and really build upon it for The Visitor, which is much stronger and more well rounded.

I've listened to TMP a lot this week, and like I said, it has really aged well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: November 09, 2020, 05:06:04 PM »
It's made me look forward even more to jump into the Visitor because that one is a good record. 

It's strange, I always liked TAH and it's weird why I've gone so cold on it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1722 on: November 09, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »
TAH?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1723 on: November 09, 2020, 05:13:16 PM »
YAH.  Yeah, I'm a bit out of it today.  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1724 on: November 09, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »
So....an actual bonus track!  :D

Totally! Listening to it now and I can totally tell this has to be from a Vinnie instrumental as the whole intro made me think it was going to be. Still, a nice track and a nice bonus to an album I really am enjoying.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1725 on: November 09, 2020, 09:02:56 PM »

Totally! Listening to it now and I can totally tell this has to be from a Vinnie instrumental as the whole intro made me think it was going to be. Still, a nice track and a nice bonus to an album I really am enjoying.

Which songs on the album do you rate highly?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1726 on: November 09, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »

Which songs on the album do you rate highly?

I would say my top 3 from the album (right now) would be Mr. Freeze, Black Cold Coffee and Call Me. That breakdown halfway through Freeze is just awesome. I know some think it's out of place or a bit much, but I love it.

And I got to say that after only one listen, Messing Up The Bed is a solid track as well. Very glad this copy showed up with that track.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: November 09, 2020, 09:31:50 PM »
I'll have to check that bonus track.  Never heard it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1728 on: November 10, 2020, 09:41:33 AM »
I really enjoyed Tales of Rock n Roll. Wasn't too keen on the "Japanese" singer but the album was excellent and a bit out there with the single track approach. Kudos to him for trying something a bit different at that stage of his career.

Still haven't got around to TMP yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: November 10, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
I really enjoyed Tales of Rock n Roll. Wasn't too keen on the "Japanese" singer but the album was excellent and a bit out there with the single track approach. Kudos to him for trying something a bit different at that stage of his career.

Still haven't got around to TMP yet.

Check it out.  Vinnie shines a lot on this one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1730 on: November 10, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »
I’ll try and get to it tomorrow. Did catch a track before I left work and it was quite laid back, but sounded a good song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: November 10, 2020, 03:02:50 PM »
I’ll try and get to it tomorrow. Did catch a track before I left work and it was quite laid back, but sounded a good song.

The whole thing is laid back but you should enjoy it with Vinnies work here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1732 on: November 10, 2020, 04:26:13 PM »
Waysted-The Harsh Reality

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Ynk6ORo2FbpE7LuNIfjhh?si=KY9pmLqpRguhH0qz1wUTYw

Released 2007

Pete emerges from his UFO exodus with a new Waysted album, The Harsh Reality. The band is once again fronted by Fin on vocals.
This album is much better than 2004's Back From The Dead. Much better.
The intro to Rockin' the Cliche is the exact same on from TGTBTW's Hang 'Em High.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: November 10, 2020, 05:25:15 PM »
I'll have to check these later Waysted albums at some point.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1734 on: November 10, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »
This one isn't bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1735 on: November 10, 2020, 05:44:15 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1736 on: November 10, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: November 10, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »
 :rollin

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: November 10, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »
Tim....I am up to 'Obsession'.  I have had Tull to keep up with.  And, I got a 'music box' with 10K amount of LPs.  I've been busy burning discs of and listening to Aerosmith, Jackson Browne, The Dead (who I am not a fan of but they are growing on me), Little Feat (party band!), Bob Dylan (groooooaaaan but I am trying), more XTC (yea!), etc etc.

UFO reminds me of the Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, ZZ Top and other early 70's bands  I heard way back when.  But, way, way....waaaaay  back when I was younger and more impressionable.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: November 10, 2020, 06:45:53 PM »
Tim....I am up to 'Obsession'.  I have had Tull to keep up with.  And, I got a 'music box' with 10K amount of LPs.  I've been busy burning discs of and listening to Aerosmith, Jackson Browne, The Dead (who I am not a fan of but they are growing on me), Little Feat (party band!), Bob Dylan (groooooaaaan but I am trying), more XTC (yea!), etc etc.

UFO reminds me of the Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, ZZ Top and other early 70's bands  I heard way back when.  But, way, way....waaaaay  back when I was younger and more impressionable.

UFO is better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1740 on: November 10, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »

Hey I kept up with the Tull thread too! :P

Those are great bands. Those early albums with Michael Schenker are great, and he is amazing. To think he was only 23 when he left UFO. Incredible.

UFO is better.

So there's that too! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1741 on: November 10, 2020, 07:24:38 PM »
maybe I should have said UFO ARE better, not is.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1742 on: November 10, 2020, 09:55:15 PM »
Only 3 songs into The Harsh Reality and this is more like it. Already better than Back From The Dead.

EDIT: Well, the album took a bit of a turn by the second half but I still enjoyed it. It Wasn't Me could have been a Bon Scott era AC/DC song. I really loved Song For Steve. Would love to know the story behind that. Seems to be about someone they knew.

Much better to my ears then the last record.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:33:27 PM by ProfessorPeart »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: November 11, 2020, 05:37:43 AM »

UFO is better.

I agree, with the possible exception of Blue Öyster Cult, IMO. Although, they are way different and not really comparable.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1744 on: November 11, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »
I enjoyed Monkey Puzzle - decent rock album with a couple of standouts. Just started The Visitor to get ahead of the game. Sounds like  a step up from TMP.

Anyone enjoying these songs would enjoy the Red Zone Rider album Vinnie did with Kelly Keeling. Remember him from a page or two ago?  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1745 on: November 11, 2020, 10:03:06 AM »
Anyone enjoying these songs would enjoy the Red Zone Rider album Vinnie did with Kelly Keeling. Remember him from a page or two ago?  :biggrin:

I’ll have to check that out.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1746 on: November 11, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »
I don't know if I'm going to do a track-by-track thing for The Monkey Puzzle, because it seems like it's not that kind of album.  It seems more of a vibe-y record, but I'm at "Drink Too Much" right now and I'm really digging this.  A LOT.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1747 on: November 11, 2020, 10:55:31 AM »
I don't know if I'm going to do a track-by-track thing for The Monkey Puzzle, because it seems like it's not that kind of album.  It seems more of a vibe-y record, but I'm at "Drink Too Much" right now and I'm really digging this.  A LOT.

:metal

That’s a great song. Yes the album has a cool vibe.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1748 on: November 11, 2020, 12:15:38 PM »

I really loved that track. Vinnie was awesome on it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1749 on: November 11, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
Maybe I didn't hear very much those albums, but I sincerely think The Harsh Reality is at a very close level of Vices and the Waysted EP. Cool albums to hear once in a while, if you are a Waysted fan. Differently of Back from the Dead, that it's a bit boring and skippable.
About The Monkey Puzzle (edited: Business  :facepalm:), like some of you has said, being "easy to ears" and its excellent flow really makes the album better than the sum of its parts. It's different for UFO, an album really in the middle of pop and blues rock. I really think it deserves a solid 8/10 and to me it's my favorite to listen from Moore's era.
And, yes, Drink Too Much is very beautiful, what a guitar work!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:29:32 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)