Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142229 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Seven Deadly
« Reply #1890 on: November 22, 2020, 02:17:41 PM »
In riff’s style, as in, among others, We Belong to the Night.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1891 on: November 22, 2020, 02:18:42 PM »
In riff’s style, as in, among others, We Belong to the Night.

Hmmm...Yeah okay, that's fair.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1892 on: November 22, 2020, 02:44:50 PM »
This could be my favourite Vinnie era album. He plays some seriously tasty stuff on here, always managing to spice up the blues cliches with something a bit different.

Cool, Paul!

This one is actually a lot better than I remembered. 

Fright Night:  That's a straight up UFO intro if ever I've heard one.  Reminds me of Natural Thing or something.  The chorus has that Vinnie era vibe, but there's some real nice energy to this one.  I like Phil's tone here, he sounds strong.  That section before the solo is classic UFO also.  Vinnie shreds nicely here.  Great tune.

Wonderland:  This might actually be my fav Vinnie era track, more so than the two I favoured on the last one.  This one is an absolute ripper.  Great pulsing drive and a classic Priest like riff here.  I love the monkey lines in here.  The lyrics on this one also are epic.  "Reckless winos with black albinos!"  Love it.  Great chorus but the solo here fucking rips.  Vinnie shows why he has the status he does in the guitar world.

Yeah, these are two great tunes.

Burn Your House Down:  This is another good one and the atmosphere and feel of it is really nice.  Vinnie's tones again here are really cool.  Phil has some great melodies and a great performance too.  In the instrumental parts I get a real Black Sabbath vibe.  That intro into the section verse gives me a Lonely is the Word type of thing going on.  Actually, it sounds exactly like the Iommi/Hughes song It Falls Through Me I think it is.  Perfect platform for Vinnie too here, great song.

I'll have to check It Falls Through Me. I don't remember it in the slightest. But I'm glad you liked it. They played this when I saw them a year ago.

Man, if Seven Deadly followed the lead of the first 3 tracks this could have been a ripper. The rest of the album is, like the previous two, not sitting all that well with me. I think those 3 are the best I have heard from this 3 album run after You Are Here. Such a shame they blew their load on 3 tracks.

EDIT: Yeah, after finishing this, about the only other song that I kind of liked was Other Man's Wives. These guys just kind of sputtered out on me.

I completely understand. In real time, I kind of felt the same way. The only album I really liked right away of the entire Vinnie Era was The Visitor. But these albums have aged really well for me. They really pull off this cool vibe on some of these songs. I think Phil is still cool as hell on these, and his lyrics are stranger than ever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1893 on: November 22, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »
It was just that little bit that reminded me heavily of something Iommi.  I'd have to go and listen to be sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1894 on: November 23, 2020, 05:11:53 PM »
While we wait for a few more reports for Seven Deadly.....

Bridge The Gap

https://open.spotify.com/album/0azogHN92FWguDAawV5uhv?si=8MJaHxeVTwWwr0T-QjWWMg

Released 2013

1. Neptune Rising
2. Where The Wild Wind Blows
3. Horizons
4. Lord Of The Lost And Lonely
5. Rock n Roll Symphony
6. To Live For The King
7. Land Of Thunder
8. Temple Of The Holy
9. Shine On
10. Bridges We Have Burned
11. Because You Lied
12. Black Moon Rising
13. Dance For The Piper

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Doogie White-Vocals
Francis Buchholz-Bass
Herman Rarebell-Drums
Wayne Findlay-Keyboards

Bridge The Gap is the second album under the Temple Of Rock moniker. Michael has a set lineup for this, with Doogie White handling all of the vocals, and the classic Scorpions rhythm section.

I'm going to say this right now...This is a Top 3 Michael Schenker album for me. I think this album is amazing. He and Doogie have such great chemistry. There are so many memorable hooks on this album, especially vocally. This is easily the most consistent batch of songs since the MSG, the second album. My opinion of course.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1895 on: November 23, 2020, 10:48:06 PM »
I bought Bridge the Gap 3 or 4 years ago. I agree, it’s a strong album.  Doogie’s vocals remind me of Dio on a few songs. I totally forgot that Francis and Herman ze German played on this.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: November 24, 2020, 12:25:04 AM »
This album is fucking incredible.  I'll post some more thoughts when I have some more time, but this may become my fav album of this whole listening party, UFO included.  It's amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1897 on: November 24, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »
This album is fucking incredible.  I'll post some more thoughts when I have some more time, but this may become my fav album of this whole listening party, UFO included.  It's amazing.

:metal

Yes, so good!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1898 on: November 24, 2020, 10:08:26 AM »
This is some major kick ass tunes. For me, easily my favorite since the 80s albums. The hooks and choruses are excellent. And heavy! Rock n Roll Symphony, Land of Thunder and Lord of L&L (that chorus will be stuck in your head after you listen to the song)  :metal :metal :metal

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1899 on: November 24, 2020, 11:20:50 AM »
I think those two Temple of Rock albums (Bridge the Grap and Spirit on a Mission) are really great, but I wouldn’t put at the same level of MSG to Build to Destroy's run, because I think that phase is somewhat magical and "sacred" to me (ok maybe just my fault: I tend to categorize this way some phases of almost every band that I’m fan). But I agree that those albums are kind of the next best thing in Schenker’s discography, along with Written in The Sand and The Unforgiven, albums that my admiration grew a lot in this listening party!
And... what Maiden was thinking when they choose Blaze Bayley instead of Doogie White?!  :facepalm:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1900 on: November 24, 2020, 12:11:24 PM »
This is a good one but I don’t rate it as highly as Tim. I can take of leave Dougie tbh. It’s hard watching him on stage because he’s a dead ringer for my father in law when I met him 17 years ago.

I think the live show I watched last week was from this tour because some of these songs were featured, and It’s the same band. Of note from the video, Dougie struggled to do justice to Phil Mogg.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1901 on: November 24, 2020, 01:23:10 PM »
I think those two Temple of Rock albums (Bridge the Grap and Spirit on a Mission) are really great, but I wouldn’t put at the same level of MSG to Build to Destroy's run, because I think that phase is somewhat magical and "sacred" to me (ok maybe just my fault: I tend to categorize this way some phases of almost every band that I’m fan). But I agree that those albums are kind of the next best thing in Schenker’s discography, along with Written in The Sand and The Unforgiven, albums that my admiration grew a lot in this listening party!
And... what Maiden was thinking when they choose Blaze Bayley instead of Doogie White?!  :facepalm:

While I'd be curious what it sounds like, I'm kind of glad Maiden didn't go with White.  There's guys.  You know what I mean?  Good singers - maybe great singers - that for one reason or another either couldn't latch on to a good gig or couldn't keep it (or both).   Joe Lynn Turner (after Rainbow).   Doogie.  Graham Bonnet.  Even, up to a point, Jeff Scott Soto.  These guys are good singers, but it seems they can't keep a legit band gig. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: November 24, 2020, 01:35:47 PM »
Did Doogie officially audition for Maiden? I heard Michael Kiske was considered too, not sure if he actually auditioned either

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1903 on: November 24, 2020, 03:07:45 PM »
Yes, Doogie himself confirmed in some interviews and it is documented on Mick Wall's Maiden biography - Run to the Hills (on the brazilian version, on page 303).
Maybe Doogie also wasn't the right fit for Maiden, but the choice in the end was between he and Blaze.

https://www.facebook.com/theironmaidencommentary/photos/former-rainbow-official-yngwie-malmsteen-among-others-and-current-michael-schenk/10157050596407934/

Former Rainbow, Official Yngwie Malmsteen (among others) and current Michael Schenker vocalist Doogie White was invited to audition for Iron Maiden after the departure of Bruce Dickinson. Although an excellent vocalist, ultimately the job went to Official Blaze Bayley. Here's what Doogie had to say about his audition with Maiden:

“I had sent a tape in to Iron Maiden. Dickie Dell who was the production manager was at my door and he said what are you doing, I said I am going to Scotland, he said no you are not you have an audition with Iron Maiden Monday. So Dickie Bell gave me a cassette and a letter with the lyrics I think it had about 18 songs on it, mostly from the albums ‘A Real Live One’ and ‘A Real Dead One’. Dickie picked me up and dropped me off at Steve Harris’ place. ”

“The band was set up in a circle with Nicko Mcbrain in back of me and we ran through the songs and had a cup of tea and I had a chat with Steve and I went away and that was it. We played tracks like , Be quick or Be dead, From here to Eternity, The Evil that men do and then the classics like Run to the Hills. Steve had a definite idea on where he wanted to take the band, Steve called me up a couple of weeks later and said we are giving the job to Blaze. Blaze is great he is the hardest working man in Rock and Roll and he always delivers. Steve wanted something different for the band. the easy route for Steve would have been to go get a clone from a tribute band but Steve didn’t he took a brave step and they did two great albums. but really normal services have been resumed. Even if i got the gig it would have ended up the same.”

(from a 2018 interview with Jimmy Kay from The Metal Voice)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1904 on: November 24, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
 Cool  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1905 on: November 24, 2020, 03:24:24 PM »
I always felt the same about Dougie as I do about Ripper Owens. Great singer but played on albums that just weren’t as good as the bands’ previous ones. I know Kade will disagree! 😀

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1906 on: November 24, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
Did Doogie officially audition for Maiden? I heard Michael Kiske was considered too, not sure if he actually auditioned either
Kiske wasn't considered, nor did he audition.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1907 on: November 24, 2020, 04:04:08 PM »

While I'd be curious what it sounds like, I'm kind of glad Maiden didn't go with White.  There's guys.  You know what I mean?  Good singers - maybe great singers - that for one reason or another either couldn't latch on to a good gig or couldn't keep it (or both).   Joe Lynn Turner (after Rainbow).   Doogie.  Graham Bonnet.  Even, up to a point, Jeff Scott Soto.  These guys are good singers, but it seems they can't keep a legit band gig.

I think Doogie and Michael have a great thing between them. Bridge The Gap and Spirit On A Mission are Michael's two best albums since the early 80's.

Stadler, not sure if you've checked out Bridge The Gap. Pretty sure you still owe us a Seven Deadly report too. ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: November 24, 2020, 05:33:10 PM »
Doogie >>>> every other singer that has worked with Michael. (Not including Phil).  Tim is right.  The chemistry between these two trumps all other MSG incarnations.  It's quite astounding really.  I wish he just keep Doogie on full time and didn't bother with the Schenker fest thing.  (Albeit I haven't listened to those two fest albums yet.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1909 on: November 24, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »
No coincidence that the Doogie tracks are the best ones on the two MS Fest albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: November 24, 2020, 05:40:04 PM »
No coincidence that the Doogie tracks are the best ones on the two MS Fest albums.

I found a copy of Resurrection on the weekend and picked it up.  Couldn't help myself lol.  Haven't listened to it yet though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1911 on: November 24, 2020, 06:12:18 PM »
It's a good album for sure! I definitely like it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1912 on: November 24, 2020, 06:43:37 PM »
It's a good album for sure! I definitely like it.

Nice.  $20 with 3 bonus live tracks.  No brainer purchase.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1913 on: November 24, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »
Listening to it now! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: November 24, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »
Sorry, it was Revelation I picked up, not Resurrection.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1915 on: November 24, 2020, 07:40:19 PM »

You picked up the wrong one. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1916 on: November 24, 2020, 08:01:22 PM »
Bridge The Gap

Neptune Rising- Really cool intro where Michael basically says he means business.

Where The Wild Wind Blows-Definitely not one of my faves on the album, but I chalk it up to the lyrics. Musically it's pretty damn cool. I like the vocal melodies of the chorus. I mean, there's about a half dozen Schenkerisms in the pre solo and solo, from the strong melodic chords to the quick acoustic flurry. Classic Schenker behind the chorus.

Horizons-This is a phenomenal track. Doogie crushes it. The verses perfectly set up a fantastic prechorus into an amazing chorus. I love how Doogie takes it up a step right before the end.

At this point, this is Michael's best track since 1983, save for maybe Never Ending Nightmare. But that song wasn't a rocker. This song is!

Lord Of The Lost And Lonely-Great opening rhythm from Michael. Love Wayne Findley's Raymond-esque keys in the verses. What I like about the chorus is where it picks up halfway through. It's an interesting effect where the prechorus and the first half of the chorus are at the same tempo, and then he raises it up for impact.
Great solo.
Oh, and that closing solo? I don't know much about playing guitar, but I know perfection when I hear it.

Rock n Roll Symphony-Real cool riff driving this song. Not expected from a guy almost 60. Strong. As. Hell. Amazing outro solo.

To Live For The King-Sneaky cool riff from Schenker, but Doogie really carries this tune. Strong prechorus and incredible chorus with Schenker doing his amazing thing behind it. I don't even know how to describe it.

This is now the third time I have mentioned the prechorus and we're only on the 5th song. There is just so much depth to these tracks. There is no section that feels glossed over.

Land Of Thunder-3rd uptempo track, and this is a great song. The chorus is incredible, and I haven't heard Michael play like this on one of his albums in decades. Doogie is so good on this. The brief setup to the solo is another sign to how focused Michael is on this.

Oh, and what fucking steroids is Herman Rarebell on? He is on some serious drumming Viagra.

Temple Of The Holy-A nice change of pace led by Michael's leads and Doogie's vocals. While I consider this a lesser track on the album, it is total quality.

Shine On-Holy fuck, this song is AMAZING! I don't remember the rhythm section playing like this on any Scorps album. The chorus on this just kills. So simple, yet incredible. A solo right out of 1983. This song just drives.

Bridges We Have Burned-Really soulful tune. Reminds me of something that would've come from the Written In Sand/Unforgiven Era. I love the opening guitar. Not one of my favorites but Doogie really saves this with an incredible performance.

Because You Lied-Interesting track in the context of the album. It doesn't really fit, but I don't have a real problem with it. Might be my least fave on the album but I do like it anyway. Feels like a B side, honestly.

Black Moon Rising-This is a song where I feel Michael and Doogie were totally on the same page. Doogie is the star on this song, and Michael seems content with it. You can feel their partnership on this track.

Dance For The Piper-OK, the verse on this song is such an earworm. When I got this album, this verse kept me up at night. All I heard was Doogie "No, don't ask for forgiveness" over and over. Doogie again, crushes this. I could listen to this all day song. Also, another great prechorus with the "Dance For The Piper" part leading into what is either the main chorus or the post chorus.....anyway it's an amazing bridge into the second verse. I love the tempo change for the main solo. Michael is great on this as well. That is one sinister riff behind the verse. Ends with a classic Michael solo.

Phenomenal end to a phenomenal album.

One of the 10 best vocal performances I've ever heard!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: November 24, 2020, 08:17:18 PM »

You picked up the wrong one. :lol

Fuck......Lol.  I had no choice though.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: November 24, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
Great writeup Tim.  I agree with most of what you said.  I'll try and jump on my PC tonight and get my thoughts down.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1919 on: November 24, 2020, 08:33:04 PM »
Yeah, I just listened to it, and jotted some notes down. I'm with you on this album. Sure Kelly Keeling and Lief Sundein never had songs this strong to sing over, but Doogie doesn't just sing over these songs, he fucking owns them. I also believe that Michael has the ability to raise his game depending on his vocalist. Phil Mogg?? And I think having Doogie really pulled out Michael's best. Michael just sounds engaged.

I have been listening to Michael Schenker for literally almost 40 years. He's always good, but he's not always engaged. On Bridge The Gap, he is BOTH.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1920 on: November 24, 2020, 10:32:23 PM »
I listened to Bridge the Gap again today. I think, for me, it’s the best Schenker album since Assault Attack. Shine On is probably my favourite tune on BTG, but there are many quality songs here.

I agree with Lowdz - Doogie was a bit cringeworthy on the Schenker-fest tour.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1921 on: November 24, 2020, 11:02:09 PM »
C'mon guys, I'm going broke! I see all this ranting and raving about the Doogiefest records and I decide to do some sampling. Now I have the deluxe editions of both Bridge and Spirit on order. Never heard a note from Doogie, but didn't dislike what I was hearing in the samples.

That's another $26, TAC, if you're keeping score.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1922 on: November 25, 2020, 05:24:11 AM »
I wrote about how I went out to the city and found both Bridge the Gap and Spirit on a Mission in store.  Already taking a punt on the wonderful Temple of Rock DVD, once I looked at the lineup, I took a blind purchase on both of these.  I am now a little disappointed they weren't the special editions but this album is absolute unreal.

I didn't know what to expect really but I've always loved Doogie a lot.  I really enjoyed his vocals with those later Yngwie albums and I saw him live with Yngwie in 2006 I believe.  Even though he didn't sing a full concert because of all the instrumentals, he was fantastic, he really was.  This album has somewhat hit me like a ton of bricks.  This is one of the greatest surprises I've ever come across truthfully.  I've pretty much had it on repeat for the last 3-4 weeks and I haven't gotten tired of it yet.  I've even put on other things and still get the urge to go back to this.  There is really nothing I don't enjoy about this album, it's just fucking complete.

Neptune Rising: I love the major classical feel at the start of this.  Like a short little overture and when it kicks in, it's a great taste of the style to come.

Where the Wild Wind Blows:  This fucking blew me away when I heard it.  That stomping riff, the Phrygian melody over the top, the atmosphere, I love it.  This one is top 3 for me and was my fav initially but probably number 3 now.  I like the lyrics actually.   I don't mind a bit of sexual innuendo at times and it fits the atmosphere.  The pre chorus is excellent and builds nicely and the chorus has a wonderful beat and melody.  The middle section is so good.  Love the natural third note instead of the minor third before the acoustic part.  I loled at how loud Schenkers leads were here, so high in the mix, especially the acoustic.  That solo though blisters.  The tension at the start but then those two notes (E,D) at 2:15 I'm in love with.  Then that climb, just so good, such expressive soloing.

Horizons:  This is a Tim said, a really excellent track.  I actually get a heavy Malmsteen vibe from this one.  I like the almost Whitesnake verses and the excellent short pre chorus.  That chorus screams Malmsteen as I said for me.  Great melodies.  Short, snappy and yeah, Doogie crushes this.  The transition from the pre chorus into the chorus is actually fucking brilliant.  Even a Malmsteen like key change into the solo too.  Michael's tone on this album is a bit different, a little muddier and dirtier but lush.  How about that lick at 2:16, oh yeah!  This one actually is only top 5 for me.  Shows how good this thing is.

Lord of the Lost and Lonely: I get a bit of a Ten/Magnum/Gary Moore feel from that intro melody truthfully.  It's catchy as fuck though.  The stomping rhythm is strong as hell too.  Tim mentioned pre choruses, and I'm doing the same.  This one sounds like Maiden.  I guess that intro melody is more Maiden too now come to think of it.  The chorus is interesting, at first that G chord in the middle that rings out twice is a really nice interesting touch.  The double time also is much appreciated.  Great solo, and some A harmonic minor in there which is cool.  The melody at the start of the outro solo also is sublime.

Rock 'n' Roll Symphony:  Now I'm never one to really like the whole 'rock is great', 'metal forever' type song.  They are mainly okay but sometimes very cheesy.  Not really the case here.  Although the lyrics are cheesy but I can appreciate everything here.  That main riff is very cool.  I like the slight effect on Doogie's voice too.  You know what I love though, that simple riff at 0:43, that's so fucking cool.  Really love the bluesy tone in the solo and the keys are excellent and old school.  Kind of Deep Purple or something.

To Live For the King:  I feel some Dio vibes in this one.  Kind of a slithering, stalking kind of riff.  The different small sections through this one gives it an interesting touch.  The whole Phrygian and Phrygian dominant vibe in this is very nice.  Something else I love is those 'aaahs' in the pre chorus, so good.  As Tim said, Doogie owns this one.  The soloing here is really quite expressive and experimental.  Schenker playing around a bit here with some blues stuff but even some off notes and a little chromatic type feel.  Interesting flavour.  The tension he builds is great.  That note at 3:59 is worth mentioning too. 

Land of Thunder:  Another Horizons type faster tune.  Those verse melodies remind me heavily of some specific band, but I still can't pinpoint it.  That short pre chorus again is fucking brilliant, and leads into the chorus perfectly.  I get another strong Yngwie vibe with that chorus and Schenkers' melodies underneath Doogie are just perfect.  The entry into the solo too is beautiful.  The change at 1:58 is like you've just climbed a cliff and jumped off to fly away, fucking perfect.  And then that major lick at 2:20 is so good.  This song is a cracker.

Temple of the Holy:  Phyrgian again here which is always most welcome for me.  It's so good hearing Schenker do this metal vibe, it works so damn well.  The verse is simple but the chorus takes off and even though it's simple also, the contrast is excellent.  The simple nature is the perfect platform for Schenker to noodle over.  Check out that lick at 2:01, lol.    Really, this one is all about Schenkers' improvisation.  I love his subtle changes into straight blues licks here over that dark rhythm.  It works surprisingly well.

Shine On:  Holy shit, how creative are those intro melodies, seriously!?  The pulsing style riff from Wild Wind returns too and I LOVE the lyrics on this one.  They are just amazing to me and Doogie portrays them just so damn well.  Like he's actually singing to his lady who is hurting.  These type of positive spirit lyrics always hit me.  Beautiful soaring chorus that just makes you feel good, it's amazing.  I like the shorter solo here too and the key change into F# from E is nice.  I really appreciate Wayne's 7 string work on this one too.  That rhythm at 2:11 is heavy as hell and one of my fav sections of the album underneath Schenkers' sweet crying leads.  At 2:11 it actually shifts back to E, very very clever.  It quickly resolves into the main melody too.  The outro soloing is icing on the cake. This track is too good.  Top 3.

Bridges We Have Burned:  This is by far my fav song on the album.  The lyrics again on this one are I think some of the best lyrics I've heard in a long long time and so relatable.  It hits me deep, really deep.  The music for this one is surprisingly simple.  E minor but love that flattened 5th chord in the riff.  Doogie's portrayal of the subject matter is just too good.  Again, the whole concept here is brutally honest and gut wrenching.  Again, we have another fabulous pre chorus and that Maidenesque E/C/D chord chorus is perfect.  I love the lyrics how Doogie second time around says 'hiding out until the sunset,' but at the end it's 'sunrise.'  Again portrays that wasted time aspect just so damn well.  That solo tears at my heart, Schenkers' bend at 2:33 is crying and then that sliding up and down run at 2:36 almost depicts the despair and confusion of the subject matter also.  He doesn't do much picking here it seems going through the notes, giving that crying type feel.  He repeats a similar thing after the next lick and then at 2:48 the descend of the those two short licks I love also.  Great climbing finish to try and rise back up again.  The outro solo Schenker is crying too, realizing all the time wasted and bridges burned, it's put across in this solo.  I love this song, one of the most brilliant songs that's touched me in a long time.

Because You Lied:  Whoa!  This is a fun track.  Very different and somewhat unexpected but I like it.  Schenkers' short solos make this one for me.  Great touches.  He's doing some contrasting stuff to the rhythm I feel, it's fun.  Some chromatics in there too which is nice and a bit jazzy.  This one flies by and while not top tier, it's a fun listen.

Black Moon Rising:  This one didn't click right away.  I get a Sabbath vibe here, Martin era maybe, but as Tim said you can feel the great chemistry here.  I like the use of the 7 string again here.  Nice and prominent.  The chord progression in the chorus reminds me of the Lost and Lonely progression.  The chorus actually listening again now, it's quite excellent, like really fucking well written and excellent.  Some more nice improvisation from Schenker and I even feel a bit of Tony Iommi here at times, very nice.  That last chorus with Schenker underneath is actually really powerful.  Great track and placed perfectly.

Dance for the Piper:  This is a wonderful closer.  Doogie absolutely slays and this might be my fav vocal performance on the album.  He sounds AMAZING in those verses, so expressive and strong.  Great melodies.  The chorus gives that Dio/Sabbath vibe again and slithers along and is heavy as hell.  Love the contrast back into the verse too.  Then we get double time into the solo.  I feel Tony Iommi a little again here too.  I laugh out loud at the change to 2:23.  7 String and those couple of blues licks are too good for words it makes me laugh.  Great interplay with the outro too yet again. Great, great song and perfect closer.

I can't say enough good things about this album, it's simply incredible and as I said, might be my fav all round Schenker album so far. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1923 on: November 25, 2020, 10:33:48 AM »
Reading that gave me goosebumps Kade!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: November 25, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »
That’s an impressive review Wolf, clearly this album is hitting you hard positively