Author Topic: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers? ABYSS out now!  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Anyone a fan of Unleash the Archers? ABYSS out now!
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2024, 10:54:29 AM »
Good stuff. I like the the Growls and Robotic Vocals part. Neat video as well.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 11:59:10 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2024, 11:13:15 AM »
Interesting that they used AI to make the album.  Not sure how I feel about that without knowing more, song is good although I felt like the production was weak. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2024, 12:01:42 PM »
Interesting that they used AI to make the album.  Not sure how I feel about that without knowing more, song is good although I felt like the production was weak.

Agreed on the production. Could definitely use more heft.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2024, 12:05:03 PM »
From their Facebook

The music video for our first single from Phantoma is streaming on the Napalm Records YouTube channel now!

Created by RuneGate Studio in Unreal Engine 5, rotoscoped in Warp Fusion, then animated in Stable Diffusion with AI models trained on the licensed artwork of Bo Bradshaw 🤘🏻

From Brittney Slayes: This is a concept album (of course!) based on artificial intelligence, so we wanted to utilize AI in as many aspects of the album as we could to create a ‘snapshot’ of AI as it currently stands. The story follows Phantoma, an AI that gains sentience and works to escape the bonds that humanity has placed upon her. Despite her imprisonment she idolizes humankind, and she will have several dark and heartbreaking revelations about the truth of human nature (as we all do, in life) throughout her journey.  And no, the music was not written with AI lol, but some of the lyrics were!  ;)

Head over to YouTube to check the full video out now!

Preorders are live at https://www.indiemerchstore.com/collections/unleash-the-archers
and https://napalmrecords.com/unleashthearchers

Phantoma releases on May 10th, 2024. First single available now on all streaming platforms everywhere!

#unleashthearchers #napalmrecords #newalbum #scifi #conceptalbum

https://youtu.be/eLPMBD7i0IU?si=UVjjXj084f_NlZLp

As Brittney says above, the music was not written by AI, but some of the lyrics were. Utilizing AI for the videos is neat since it relates to the concept of a sentient AI.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2024, 02:49:30 PM »
The whole conceptual nature of the album is cool. And making the video with AI makes sense, as does some of the lyrics.

As for the new single, it was okay. I mean, I'll pre-order the record, but I felt like Abyss' synthwave elements were a direction I wasn't fond of, and this song doesn't really go in the direction I was hoping for. But that's what it's a record -- a bunch of other songs. Looking forward to it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2024, 02:54:06 PM »
I don't remember anything particularly synthwave-ish, but personally I loved the increased electronic elements. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2024, 03:31:16 PM »
This, however, is quite brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUmqkCmeZiA

(Description says it's a bonus track on the vinyl...?)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2024, 03:41:16 PM »
Yeah, it was a remix. I have it.

Pass. I'm just not into that, nor all the heavy electronics. It's just never grabbed me. I want Unleash the Archers to experiment as they see fit, of course, but prefer them absolutely crushing it and melting my face off.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2024, 04:13:47 PM »
This, however, is quite brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUmqkCmeZiA

(Description says it's a bonus track on the vinyl...?)

Oh yes, that one actually is synthwave. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2024, 08:25:20 AM »
Seems like they have another synthwave version of a song as a bonus track for the new album.  I don't mind it, synthwave mixed into metal has been really good at times (DIsco Metal by Nanowar of Steel anyone??  :lol) BUT I don't know if I want the band to go too hard with it because the formula they have with the last two albums is perfect for them.  I'm not saying they should write the same album again, but I just don't want them to change too hard in any direction.  I don't think they have in that single.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2024, 08:32:51 AM »
I'm not saying they should write the same album again, but I just don't want them to change too hard in any direction.

This is really its own thread, but I often think along these lines.  I don't need bands to continually reinvent themselves, once they find a sound that suits their strengths I'm fine with them sticking to it.  If I want a different sound than that there are thousands and thousands of other bands I can listen to. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2024, 12:20:48 PM »
New single, "Ghosts in the Mist":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSHuCUegm0

I liked it. In the vein of the more melodic songs from Abyss. Chorus is real nice, as is the guitar work. Not entirely sure about the couple of sections with harsh vocals on this one, but they are pretty brief.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2024, 12:24:14 PM »
Yeah I enjoyed the song, its a bit more melodic but that's fine.  I actually really liked the melodic side of Abyss.  The video also has footage from the ProgPower show I was at where they played this song.  Can't wait for this album

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2024, 08:28:26 AM »
I'm not saying they should write the same album again, but I just don't want them to change too hard in any direction.

This is really its own thread, but I often think along these lines.  I don't need bands to continually reinvent themselves, once they find a sound that suits their strengths I'm fine with them sticking to it.  If I want a different sound than that there are thousands and thousands of other bands I can listen to.

TBH, I feel it should be a compromise between those two positions. Artists should continue to grow and change album to album. My favorite musical act, the original lineup of Queensryche, changed their sound from album to album. But the thing that I feel is important, is that bands, particularly ones that taste success, as they get three or four albums deep, need to realize what their strengths are, and not forget about them. Recognize what makes you distinct, and don't forget about that.

It's a very fine line, and not many bands really can take themselves out of their art to see it. But some do.

On that note, I discovered UTA with Apex. I liked the album before it okay, thought the releases prior to that were okay. Abyss let me down a bit. I felt they got a little too synth and melodic. The first song they released from this new album, I wasn't impressed either. So, I am not listening to the second song. I have the record on pre-order. I'll listen when I get it. My daughter, however, loves Abyss, and loved the first new tune. So it'll be what it is.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2024, 08:34:05 AM »
On that note, I discovered UTA with Apex. I liked the album before it okay, thought the releases prior to that were okay.

You have to admit that Tonight We Ride is so  :metal though! 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2024, 08:37:23 AM »

TBH, I feel it should be a compromise between those two positions. Artists should continue to grow and change album to album. My favorite musical act, the original lineup of Queensryche, changed their sound from album to album. But the thing that I feel is important, is that bands, particularly ones that taste success, as they get three or four albums deep, need to realize what their strengths are, and not forget about them. Recognize what makes you distinct, and don't forget about that.

It's a very fine line, and not many bands really can take themselves out of their art to see it. But some do.

On that note, I discovered UTA with Apex. I liked the album before it okay, thought the releases prior to that were okay. Abyss let me down a bit. I felt they got a little too synth and melodic. The first song they released from this new album, I wasn't impressed either. So, I am not listening to the second song. I have the record on pre-order. I'll listen when I get it. My daughter, however, loves Abyss, and loved the first new tune. So it'll be what it is.

The new song seems like it could be from Abyss so maybe it won't be for you.  I, however, enjoyed it.  I do agree about your other points in terms of not forgetting about what made you, you. 

I don't particularly like the older UtA albums from what I've heard.  Not that it "sucks", it's just that I don't think they found their way into writing good complete songs in a style that really works until Apex, at least in terms of a full album output (since there are some good older songs).  There's hints of what would later come, I get the feeling they just needed more time and experience to grow.  And of course that growth can and maybe should continue, I just LOVED Abyss so much that I feel like maybe they found their sweet spot.

On that note, I discovered UTA with Apex. I liked the album before it okay, thought the releases prior to that were okay.

You have to admit that Tonight We Ride is so  :metal though! 

Yeah, an example of a good song before Apex.  :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2024, 09:20:06 AM »
"Tonight We Ride" is an absolute banger!  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2024, 10:58:14 AM »

Yep, absolutely, and THAT band (the original Queensryche  lineup) truly nailed it. That run through Promised Land (I know not everyone agrees ;)). So many ideas, so much creativity and so much change... and yet you knew it was that band. Granted, Tate's vocals were such an important element - in fact his versatility was one of the elements that helped all the sides/phases of the band's sound work. But it was everything else too  - the rhythm section, the interplay between the two guitar styles, the "drama" in their music. Truly special.