Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143210 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: You Are Here
« Reply #1645 on: November 05, 2020, 04:34:13 PM »
Had a quick watch of a couple of songs earlier but was very distracted because Paul Raymond looked remarkably like my other half’s aunt. 😀😀😀

Haha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1646 on: November 05, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1647 on: November 05, 2020, 05:38:29 PM »
I do like how this is completely live, one thing it seems UFO have never compromised.  Rock Me isn't Phil at his best and I like how they left his blunder in Lights Out in there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1648 on: November 05, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »
Pretty nice set this.  It's hard though after listening to so much Schenker to hear these songs with Vinnie's tone.  He uses too much neck pickup for my liking.  Although the first half of what he does on This Kids is excellent.  I wished he played a lot more in this style in his time with UFO.  When he plays more that pentationic Schenker style he kills it.  He relies too much on really tradtional blues like licks and playing I feel.  Lots of major influneced stuff going on, it's just slightly offputting to me.

What is neck pickup?  Is that when he solos with really high notes at the bottom (near the body) of the neck?

If so, I find that he could use a bit more smoothness. But when he plays down on the neck, he's a lot better.

I do like how this is completely live, one thing it seems UFO have never compromised.  Rock Me isn't Phil at his best and I like how they left his blunder in Lights Out in there.

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1649 on: November 05, 2020, 07:00:51 PM »
Tales Of Rock 'n' Roll

Spotify
Youtube

Released March 27, 2006

1. The Ride
2. Setting Sun
3. Angel Of Avalon (Leif Sundin)
4. Dreams Inside (Chris Logan)
5. Dust To Dust
6. Voices In My Heart
7. Journeyman
8. Big Deal (Kelly Keeling)
9. St. Ann
10. Shadow Lady
11. Love Trade
12. Human Child
13. Bittersweet
14. Blind Alley
15. Freedom
16. Life Vacation (Gary Barden)
17. Rock n Roll (Graham Bonnet)
18. Tell A Story (Robin McAuley)
19. Life Goes On

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Jari Tiura-Vocals
Pete Way-Bass
Jeff Martin-Drums
Wayne Findlay-Keyboards/Guitar

With 2006's Tales Of Rock n Roll, Michael seems to snap out of the malaise of his last few MSG albums. He has found a vocalist, Jari Tiura, who to me, really stands out much more than Keeling, Logan, or Sundin. He reminds me a lot of the dude from Odd Dimension.
Speaking of those guys, this is the point where Michael starts inviting his old vocalists back. Even Bonnet, Barden, and McAuley are present.

Not sure if any of you checked his Dreams And Expressions instrumental album, but this reminds me a lot of that, as there are no gaps between the tracks, and the songs are all short.  Michael's playing is excellent here and I highly recommend this album.

They should have named this album A Shit Ton Of Tasty Licks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:16:05 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: November 05, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
Pretty nice set this.  It's hard though after listening to so much Schenker to hear these songs with Vinnie's tone.  He uses too much neck pickup for my liking.  Although the first half of what he does on This Kids is excellent.  I wished he played a lot more in this style in his time with UFO.  When he plays more that pentationic Schenker style he kills it.  He relies too much on really tradtional blues like licks and playing I feel.  Lots of major influneced stuff going on, it's just slightly offputting to me.

What is neck pickup?  Is that when he solos with really high notes at the bottom (near the body) of the neck?

If so, I find that he could use a bit more smoothness. But when he plays down on the neck, he's a lot better.

There are pickups underneath the strings where the guitarist picks/strums.  A bridge, middle and neck pickup.  The bridge pickup is the one closest to the bridge and the neck is the one closest to the neck.  The switch decides which pickup to use and split between.  Most standard is straight bridge pickup for mostly everything but selecting the neck pickup is used more for soloing.  It gives a warmer tone, think Dave Murray's tone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: November 05, 2020, 07:28:52 PM »
Holy shit, I think I have this MSG album on CD!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1652 on: November 05, 2020, 07:32:26 PM »

Time to actually listen to it! :lol

I love this album. You can add up the previous 4 MSG albums, and this is still better.

I mentioned the Odd Dimension dude. But there's also a lot pf phrasings that remind me of Doogie.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: November 05, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »

Time to actually listen to it! :lol

I love this album. You can add up the previous 4 MSG albums, and this is still better.

I mentioned the Odd Dimension dude. But there's also a lot pf phrasings that remind me of Doogie.

I definitely will.  Looking forward to it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1654 on: November 06, 2020, 12:03:52 AM »
Tim, this video might give you a good idea of how guitar pickups work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK12i4qrWM0

There are a lot of possibilities within guitar playing with pickup selection and volume knob/tone nob manipulation. The pickups are basically magnets that "pickup" the vibration of the strings as they are played. There are basically three different types of pickups: single coil, P90's and humbuckers. There are also several different companies that make pickups, and each one can have different tonal qualities. And while a great deal of tone is in a player's hands that is determined by their playing style, most would argue that a lot of it is determined by their choice of guitar, pickups, amplifier and speaker cabinet.

Then we could also get into subjects like amplifier modification, effects pedals and mic choice/placement, but that sort of discussion could be endless.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: November 06, 2020, 12:11:12 AM »
I've never really gotten into specifics with pickups and different brands and shit like that.  I don't really care honestly, I just play with whatever the guitar has.  It's good enough.

Tim, Adrian Smith - bridge pickup, Dave Murray - neck pickup.

Neck pickup gets used a lot for soloing as it covers mistakes more than the bridge.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1656 on: November 06, 2020, 07:53:46 AM »
I've never really gotten into specifics with pickups and different brands and shit like that.  I don't really care honestly, I just play with whatever the guitar has.  It's good enough.

Neck pickup gets used a lot for soloing as it covers mistakes more than the bridge.

Hence why I use it almost exclusively!  :biggrin:

Not heard this MSG album. Will put that right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: November 06, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »

Hence why I use it almost exclusively!  :biggrin:

Not heard this MSG album. Will put that right.

Hey, I never said I didn't use it either.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1658 on: November 06, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »
Tim, this video might give you a good idea of how guitar pickups work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK12i4qrWM0

Thanks Jason, yeah, I just watched it. Cool. Yes, the possibilities do seem endless.

Ahh, now that's a language I can understand. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: November 06, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
I thought so.  :lol

About to search for this Schenker CD and probably won't be able to report back until Sunday night.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1660 on: November 06, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
I thought so.  :lol

About to search for this Schenker CD and probably won't be able to report back until Sunday night.

No worries. It's worth a listen.

I'll post The Monkey Puzzle Sunday night (Monday morning for you!)

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1661 on: November 06, 2020, 07:47:32 PM »
I’m falling behind. Still haven't had a chance to listen to Sharks and now I want to check out the most recent MSG album posted.

I did buy You Are Here when it was released. It’s a decent listen but possibly my least favourite of all the UFO albums I own.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1662 on: November 06, 2020, 07:49:35 PM »
I’m falling behind. Still haven't had a chance to listen to Sharks and now I want to check out the most recent MSG album posted.

I did buy You Are Here when it was released. It’s a decent listen but possibly my least favourite of all the UFO albums I own.

I thought we lost you. :lol

I've tried to slow things down a bit leading into the Vinnie Era.

Sharks is skippable. Tales of RnR is not.

I think the next two UFO albums are both better than You Are Here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: November 06, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »
Damn, this album kicks ass.  What an exhausting listen.  Short tracks and no breaks, so fucking unique, love it.  Will post more thoughts later.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: November 06, 2020, 09:01:34 PM »

I thought we lost you. :lol

I've tried to slow things down a bit leading into the Vinnie Era.

Sharks is skippable. Tales of RnR is not.

I think the next two UFO albums are both better than You Are Here.

I'd argue that Sharks is skippable.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1665 on: November 06, 2020, 11:26:10 PM »
Then it shall be skipped ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1666 on: November 07, 2020, 06:19:47 AM »
Damn, this album kicks ass.  What an exhausting listen.  Short tracks and no breaks, so fucking unique, love it.  Will post more thoughts later.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: November 07, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »
The singer is fucking brilliant.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1668 on: November 07, 2020, 07:00:50 AM »
Yeah I like him a lot. Not sure what else he’s done.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1669 on: November 07, 2020, 07:14:51 AM »

I've been wanting to hear this for a while. I'm going to try to listen to it tonight.

Tim, if you can find any videos of Blackmore playing, he tends to switch his pickups a lot in mid solo.  Sometimes you can hear the difference, sometimes you can't, but it might help you.   Ace does too (though his is more gimmicky; on the Les Pauls, it makes that "na. na. na. na." sound that Ace uses a lot (as if the guitar is turned off in between).  It's hard to describe but I KNOW you know the sound. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1670 on: November 07, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »
That’s Ace’s signature move! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1671 on: November 07, 2020, 08:21:58 PM »
The singer is fucking brilliant.

Apparently Jari is the singer in Stargazery. I have a couple of their albums Saved on my Spotify. I like them. They released an new album this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqZlfAl6fSk

As far as Tales goes, Bittersweet has such an addictive verse. And I love the last 20 seconds of Big Deal.

So many great Schenkerisms all over this album.

I've been wanting to hear this for a while. I'm going to try to listen to it tonight.

Keep us posted!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 08:29:02 PM by TAC »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1672 on: November 07, 2020, 08:28:50 PM »
I'll try to check out this MSG album. Was just reading about it on Wikipedia and it mentions that the music was initially meant as a UFO concept record but Michael decided to keep it for himself. Could this be why Sharks is so throwaway to a lot of people? Had to start over and kind of phoned it in and left the band? Just guessing really. There is 4 years between Sharks and this record. Who knows knowing Schenker.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1673 on: November 07, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »
I'll try to check out this MSG album.

Definitely do it. It's really a breath of fresh air.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1674 on: November 07, 2020, 08:51:11 PM »
I'll try to check out this MSG album. Was just reading about it on Wikipedia and it mentions that the music was initially meant as a UFO concept record but Michael decided to keep it for himself. Could this be why Sharks is so throwaway to a lot of people? Had to start over and kind of phoned it in and left the band? Just guessing really. There is 4 years between Sharks and this record. Who knows knowing Schenker.

There's a great Rev Jones (played bass on Be Aware Of Scorpions) interview with Mitch Lafon from this past September. He talks about a little of the album's creation here:
https://youtu.be/z88Y9BRRnr8?t=1606

He says that while Be Aware Of Scorpions was being made, he was not only simultaneously working on The Plot, but also on an instrumental album with Jeff Martin (who also plays on The Plot, as well as BAOS). It's this instrumental album that becomes Tales.
Rev mentions that Marty Friedman was supposed to have some involvement.

This Rev Jones interview is great. He's fucking nuts. If you click the link and continue watching, he tells the great story of him punching Chris Logan on tour with MSG and the band leaving the singer basically by the side of the road.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1675 on: November 07, 2020, 10:19:38 PM »
I'll try to check out this MSG album.

Definitely do it. It's really a breath of fresh air.

As soon as I can pull myself away from this Mr. Bungle album. I can't stop listening to it (I'm listening to it now, again, as I type this).
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: November 08, 2020, 03:15:49 AM »
So, it's absolutely mindblowing that I have had this album in my rack for probably like 10 years.  From what I'm hearing, I didn't even listen to it.  But, this album fucking rips.  I've listened to it twice and it's just 56 minutes of fucking excellent hard rock.  Looks like I'll have to check the Dreams album if that has the same format of every song running into each other.  A few songs in I was confused as hell as the structure and the shifting between songs, but it's glorious.  Love everything about it.  Actually, the singer is so good, I wish the other guys weren't on here.

There's riff after riff and idea after idea, and yes as Tim said, lick after lick.  So many good ideas going on through this whole album it's almost unfair that a lot of these weren't explored further.  I didn't follow the track titles much while listening but the 3 song hit of Dust to Dust, Voice of My Heart and Journey Man is fucking killer!  The vocals on these three tracks are so good and I love Jari's accent here actually.

That last part of Big Deal Tim has a lot of DT influence for me.  There was another part that had DT influence but not sure off the top of my head.  Bittersweet is another highlight, great riff and solo section, as is Shadow Lady a top tune.

Freedom I think is my fav though, holy hell this is one of Schenker's finest moments, those solos, hot damn!  The only negative is that it loses a slight bit of steam after this track.  Let's up the heaviness a little which I'm not sure on.

Nevertheless, this is also one of the most legit reason to own something on cd.  It's brilliant just to listen to driving along.  What a fucking gem I've had hidden away all this time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: November 08, 2020, 04:01:34 AM »
Went out for a browse in the city yesterday to kill some time as I had most of the day to myself.  Actually found the 2cd edition of Covenant to my surprise.  :lol  Lucky I was warming to it as I had no hesitation buying it.  It was weird to see this album at JB.

I also managed to get copies of 2 Schenker Temple of Rock albums.  Spirit on a Mission and Bridge the Gap.  I'll try and hold off and listen to these when Tim gets to them.  No real idea what to expect with these really.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1678 on: November 08, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »
Well, more money gone. I was checking out samples of Tales and really liked what I was hearing. Jari is the first vocalist that I have heard from Michael that I actually liked. I was liking him so much that I checked out the credits for the next album only to see Barden was back. That didn't make me feel good. Then I checked out Barden's track on Tales and was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked older Barden. So then I checked out some stuff from the next album and I had no issues with how Barden sounded and the music sounded nice and heavy.

Went on a hunt and found the music importer on eBay that I regularly buy from had both discs brand new. $25 out the door for both. Hope to get them late next week so I can actually listen to them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: November 08, 2020, 01:54:04 PM »
Well, more money gone. I was checking out samples of Tales and really liked what I was hearing. Jari is the first vocalist that I have heard from Michael that I actually liked. I was liking him so much that I checked out the credits for the next album only to see Barden was back. That didn't make me feel good. Then I checked out Barden's track on Tales and was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked older Barden. So then I checked out some stuff from the next album and I had no issues with how Barden sounded and the music sounded nice and heavy.

Went on a hunt and found the music importer on eBay that I regularly buy from had both discs brand new. $25 out the door for both. Hope to get them late next week so I can actually listen to them.

We are both going to be broke by the end of this.