Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142972 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The Monkey Puzzle
« Reply #1750 on: November 11, 2020, 01:33:04 PM »
Yeah, I made it through TMP twice, and I'm going to pick that up. That's a big thing, because I've largely written off the Vinnie Moore era. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1751 on: November 11, 2020, 01:54:39 PM »
You guys should really enjoy the next one then.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1752 on: November 11, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
I'll comment a bit more on that, but I think The Visitor indeed is a good and very consistent album. I just don't like much that it's a bit too much on the blues rock side for my taste.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1753 on: November 11, 2020, 04:44:21 PM »
Maybe I didn't hear very much those albums, but I sincerely think The Harsh Reality is at a very close level of Vices and the Waysted EP. Cool albums to hear once in a while, if you are a Waysted fan. Differently of Back from the Dead, that it's a bit boring and skippable.

It's not on par with the EP or TGTBTW, but it's really not that bad. Big improvement from Back From The Dead.

About The Monkey Puzzle (edited: Business  :facepalm:), like some of you has said, being "easy to ears" and its excellent flow really makes the album better than the sum of its parts. It's different for UFO, an album really in the middle of pop and blues rock. I really think it deserves a solid 8/10 and to me it's my favorite to listen from Moore's era.
And, yes, Drink Too Much is very beautiful, what a guitar work!

Cool, man!

Yeah, I made it through TMP twice, and I'm going to pick that up. That's a big thing, because I've largely written off the Vinnie Moore era. 

That's awesome Bill! 15%!!
Yeah, I thought you might like it, and the next one should be a keeper too.

Did we lose Podaar with You Are Here?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1754 on: November 11, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
In The Midst Of Beauty

https://open.spotify.com/album/0WTpY7y67AB38LizoYUMqu?si=bfm39CixRMKXgbS_MWpzjQ

Released May 13, 2008

1. City Lights
2. Competition
3. I Want You
4. End Of The Line
5. Summerdays
6. A Night To Remember
7. Wings Of Emotion
8. Come Closer
9. The Cross Of Crosses
10. Na Na
11. I Am The One
12. Ride On My Way

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Gary Barden-Vocals
Neil Murray-Bass
Simon Phillips-Drums
Don Airey-Keyboards

Michael's plan for In The Midst Of Beauty was to to assemble the recording band from his first solo album. Mo Foster would not be available, so Neil Murray sat in.

I remember being very disappointed with this. I had extremely high hopes. I was highly anticipating the return of Gary Barden. Unfortunately, his performance is an absolute snorefest. The choruses are so ..dead.

The songs, for the most part are fairly lame too. But there are a couple of bright Schenker spots..
End Of The Line is pretty decent, and Michael shines on it.
Nice playing by Michael on Wings Of Emotion.
Cross Of Crosses is really nice too.

30th Anniversary Concert

https://open.spotify.com/album/4HRaIjgCDemTxiAQ6Gu6I4?si=3QWAuqo1RaK5c2eohDTwQg

Recorded January 13, 2010 Nakano Sun Plaza, Tokyo
Released October 19, 2010

Disc 1                              Disc 2

1. Welcome Howl                1. Lost Horizons
2. Feels Like A Good Thing     2. Rock My Nights Away
3. Cry For The Nations             3. On And On
4. Let Sleeping Dogs Lie      4. Attack Of The Mad Axeman
5. Armed And Ready            5. Ride On My Way
6. Victim Of Illusion             6. Rock Bottom
7. Are You Ready To Rock      7. Dance Lady Gypsy
8. I Want You                        8. Doctor Doctor
9. Night To Remember                                       .
10. Into The Arena                                             .

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Gary Barden-Vocals
Neil Murray-Bass
Simon Phillips-Drums
Wayne Findlay-Keyboards/Guitar

Really great live album mostly featuring songs from the first two Barden Era albums. And while Gary Barden is far from perfect, he's way more enjoyable than on In The Midst Of Beauty. At least his vocals here have energy.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/gv8JojRo8KI?t=19

It's great to see Simon Phillips in action. I realize this isn't the most difficult material he's ever played, but he's really great on this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: November 11, 2020, 06:12:51 PM »
I passed on picking this one up on the weekend cause Barden was on it.  I'll try and give it a spin though.

I've watched a few songs from the vid, it's very enjoyable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1756 on: November 11, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »
I passed on picking this one up on the weekend cause Barden was on it.  I'll try and give it a spin though.

The live show is good, and Barden is fine. Flawed, but fine. The vocals on the album are so lame. Just check the songs I listed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1757 on: November 11, 2020, 06:41:14 PM »

The live show is good, and Barden is fine. Flawed, but fine. The vocals on the album are so lame. Just check the songs I listed.

Yeah I will mate.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1758 on: November 11, 2020, 11:06:16 PM »
I have listened to the first 8 or 9 songs on Tales of Rock and Roll. I enjoyed it and like the singer, but all the songs seemed to have the same tempo. I will check out the remaining songs when I can.

I have Monkey Puzzle on my IPod but don't remember a thing about it. Will listen tomorrow.

I bought In the Midst of Beauty when it was released and agree with it being a big disappointment. The songs are just weak.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1759 on: November 12, 2020, 12:37:02 AM »
The Monkey Puzzle was a pleasant surprise, sounding excellent to my ears. Good foot-tapping tunes in a variety of styles and some of Vinnie's best playing yet. I'd go so far as to say that some of it rivals Schenker at his best. Killer tone too (there's that bridge pickup)!

I'm going to have to be a contrarian with regards to Tales of Rock and Roll. I only got as far as a handful of songs into it. These post-Unforgiven albums haven't really made an impression on me. Not a fan of my fellow countryman's vocals here tbh. Sure he can hit a high note, but there's not much to hang on to besides that. Maybe he was too young and inexperienced at this point to emote convincingly. To me it's your typical dime a dozen wailer. I'm much more a fan of the soulful swedes Michael has worked with.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: November 12, 2020, 04:43:07 AM »
I listened to those 3 songs Tim mention with this album.  Damn, they were pretty average.  Barden sounds so fucking ordinary too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1761 on: November 12, 2020, 06:06:39 AM »
I have listened to the first 8 or 9 songs on Tales of Rock and Roll. I enjoyed it and like the singer, but all the songs seemed to have the same tempo. I will check out the remaining songs when I can.

Yeah there's some truth in that. I had the same issue with Dreams And Expressions. But even with that, I feel like Michael is playing some great tasty licks throughout.

The Monkey Puzzle was a pleasant surprise, sounding excellent to my ears. Good foot-tapping tunes in a variety of styles and some of Vinnie's best playing yet. I'd go so far as to say that some of it rivals Schenker at his best. Killer tone too (there's that bridge pickup)!

Awesome!!

I listened to those 3 songs Tim mention with this album.  Damn, they were pretty average.  Barden sounds so fucking ordinary too.

I tried. :lol
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:05:37 AM by TAC »

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1762 on: November 12, 2020, 07:08:33 AM »
I need to re-listen to In the Midst of Beauty to have a better opinion, but, from what I remember, I liked the songs of the album, but Gary's vocals are just there, without any excitement, which drags the songs down. Also the album is a bit more lighter for usual riffage from Schenker, but I didn't think it as a problem.
I have the blu-ray of 30th Anniversary and I totally love that show! The sound, footage, band's performance and song's selection are great and Gary's is OK there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: November 12, 2020, 01:39:45 PM »
I need to re-listen to In the Midst of Beauty to have a better opinion, but, from what I remember, I liked the songs of the album, but Gary's vocals are just there, without any excitement, which drags the songs down. Also the album is a bit more lighter for usual riffage from Schenker, but I didn't think it as a problem.
I have the blu-ray of 30th Anniversary and I totally love that show! The sound, footage, band's performance and song's selection are great and Gary's is OK there.

Yeah, the songs being a but lighter doesn't help.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1764 on: November 12, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
Well, I'm listening to the album right now and, sorry, despite Barden, I'm liking it A LOT! :metal :coolio

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: November 12, 2020, 04:27:32 PM »
Well, I'm listening to the album right now and, sorry, despite Barden, I'm liking it A LOT! :metal :coolio

Since I've gotten a taste of what's to come, I'll have to come back to this album at a later stage, but good to see it's getting some love.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1766 on: November 12, 2020, 04:35:14 PM »

Awesome!! :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1767 on: November 13, 2020, 03:38:21 AM »
Never heard ITMOB so going to have a listen Now. Expectations are low because even Barden on fire is poor. His voice (what it was) will be ageing by this time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1768 on: November 13, 2020, 03:48:47 AM »
Couple of songs in - I admit I almost gave up a minute into the first track I heard as the Barden vocal was annoyingly insipid. I stuck with it and I Want You was next which was awesome, and Barden's voice fit it ok.

I can see what Tim was saying. He's clearly singing well within himself because his voice has gone. Metal crooning? But there are some good songs here. Should have got a better singer though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: November 13, 2020, 03:50:51 AM »
Metal crooning I think is a great description Paul.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: November 13, 2020, 07:13:23 AM »
I listened to ITMOB again yesterday, twice, and it was better than I remembered it to be.    I think some of you (all of you!) are being a little harsh on Gary on that.  It's to MSG what i think Monkey Puzzle is to UFO.  It's a different, more of a mood, record.  I think some songs are better than others, and TAC nailed the best songs, but I would put that on and listen to it again.  It's definitely not a "stand on your seat, light your lighter and scream for me, Long Beach!" metal record, but it's better than some of the critiques here, IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1771 on: November 13, 2020, 01:33:30 PM »
I listened to ITMOB again yesterday, twice, and it was better than I remembered it to be.    I think some of you (all of you!) are being a little harsh on Gary on that.  It's to MSG what i think Monkey Puzzle is to UFO.  It's a different, more of a mood, record.  I think some songs are better than others, and TAC nailed the best songs, but I would put that on and listen to it again.  It's definitely not a "stand on your seat, light your lighter and scream for me, Long Beach!" metal record, but it's better than some of the critiques here, IMO.

Jesus.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: November 13, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
I don't follow...   he said End Of The Line is pretty decent, nice playing by Michael on Wings Of Emotion, and Cross Of Crosses is really nice too.   I think those are the three best tunes on there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1773 on: November 13, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
I listened to ITMOB again yesterday, twice, and it was better than I remembered it to be.    I think some of you (all of you!) are being a little harsh on Gary on that.  It's to MSG what i think Monkey Puzzle is to UFO.   

Hmm. . I think you're being a little harsh to The Monkey Puzzle.  ;D

To me it just doesn't have the highs that TMP has. And my beef isn't with Barden per se. It's just that there's no life in them, especially the choruses. It's like there were no chances taken. I'd rather hear him stretch a little. At least you could kind of chalk it up to personality and character. The vocals have no personality whatsoever.

I did a quick UFO album rankings the other night, and I have TMP in the 15-16 (out of 24) range. I haven't done a Schenker discog, but not incliding the acoustic Thank You albums, Midst is in the Bottom 5 easy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: November 13, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »
I don't follow...   he said End Of The Line is pretty decent, nice playing by Michael on Wings Of Emotion, and Cross Of Crosses is really nice too.   I think those are the three best tunes on there.

Sorry Bill.  I meant, you backing up that those three tracks are by far the best gives me not much motivation for checking out the full thing.  I thought those songs were meh so knowing they are the best is not comforting.

I will check it though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: November 13, 2020, 05:06:44 PM »

Sorry Bill.  I meant, you backing up that those three tracks are by far the best gives me not much motivation for checking out the full thing.  I thought those songs were meh so knowing they are the best is not comforting.

I will check it though.

Well, Tim is right; there's nothing dangerous, nothing soaring, nothing "WHOA!" about it.  But it's solid.  I have to be honest; if you thought those three were "meh", I don't see you loving the rest.  Even if you think there are songs that are better, it's basically an AC/DC album, in that there's not a lot of "high" and "low"; it's pretty consistent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1776 on: November 13, 2020, 05:08:39 PM »
I'm going to make an AC/DC reference on the next UFO album! Stay Tuned...

Did You Are Here scare Podaar off? He must be busy this week. I think he'd like these two albums a lot more than You Are Here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: November 13, 2020, 05:09:31 PM »

I will check it though.

Well, Tim is right; there's nothing dangerous, nothing soaring, nothing "WHOA!" about it.  But it's solid.  I have to be honest; if you thought those three were "meh", I don't see you loving the rest.  Even if you think there are songs that are better, it's basically an AC/DC album, in that there's not a lot of "high" and "low"; it's pretty consistent.

Hence my 'Jesus' comment.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: November 13, 2020, 05:09:54 PM »

I'm on the edge of my seat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1779 on: November 13, 2020, 05:11:19 PM »

Nah, it's nothing major. It's just one of the songs has a total AC/DC styled intro.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1780 on: November 13, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
... I haven't done a Schenker discog, but not incliding the acoustic Thank You albums, Midst is in the Bottom 5 easy.

I didn' make any ranking of Michael Schenker solo discography, but, besides the first four plus Adventures of Imagination, that to me are clearly above all the rest, my ranking would be more or less separated in these groups of albums:

1) The first 4 + Adventures;

2) Written in the Sand/The Unforgiven/In The Midst Of Beauty(yeah, it's here! :biggrin:)/Bridge The Gap/Spirit On A Mission

3) Ressurection/Revelation
Above are the albums that I truly like as a whole.

4) Be Aware Of Scorpions/Dreams and Expressions/Arachnophobiac/Tales Of Rock 'n' Roll/Temple Of Rock. All those albums have something really good and interesting to offer, but I have trouble to fully appreciate them. About Dreams... and Tales... I agree with the similarity that TAC pointed out in the way the albums are structured. Although both have a lot of great riffs, they seem to me that they wanted to sound like one long song, but, in the end, they sound like many short songs that ends abruptly and are very similar with one another. And, in the Tales's case, the variety of singers makes it a bit confusing ou unsettling to hear (differently on Michael Schenker Fest albums).

5) McAuley Schenker albums. I think those are the albums that I don't like (the first) or care (the other two). But, even those albums have many songs that I truly like.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: November 13, 2020, 05:24:54 PM »

Nah, it's nothing major. It's just one of the songs has a total AC/DC styled intro.

Pretty sure I know which one.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1782 on: November 13, 2020, 08:06:28 PM »
I won't have my copies of the 2 Schenker records until sometime next week. Checked the tracking and the USPS is up to shenanigans again. Shipped from Louisville and needs to come West of Chicago. Where did they go? The opposite direction to north of Pittsburgh?!?!?!?!?!?!? I frequently buy from this seller and nothing has ever gone that direction from them before.

Here's to hoping this isn't like my last purchase from Florida. That one spent at least a week and a half traversing the entire East Coast. Played pinball between 2 different locations that just kept sending it back and forth between them before finally making its way West. First time I ever had a seller reach out and mention how confused he was with its travel.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1783 on: November 13, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »
Didn't you tell then you needed them because there was a listening party going on?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1784 on: November 13, 2020, 08:20:05 PM »
Didn't think I had to. Stuff from this seller usually comes quick.

Well, just checked again and it arrived in Chicago this evening. Problem here is, anything that goes through that location has, on many occasions, taken up to 10 days to travel the 60 miles it needs to get here.

I finally try to play in the MSG pool and this happens. Of course, I do get violently ill when I eat anything with MSG. Does not agree with me, but that's probably different from the band.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history