Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143267 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: You Are Here
« Reply #1610 on: November 02, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »
I was laughing that you were confused. Not WHY you were confused. ;D

Er...nevermind. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: November 02, 2020, 07:22:52 PM »
I was laughing that you were confused. Not WHY you were confused. ;D

Er...nevermind. :lol

Oh.........I'm more confused now.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: November 03, 2020, 05:09:44 AM »
The Vinnie era songs that I’ve listened to so far are good and enjoyable, but definitely nothing I have an interest in revisiting at the moment.

I know it is still a ways to go, but I’m interested in hearing the opinions and checking out the songs of those recent Michael Schenker albums where he has all the previous singers singing on it. I know that was a couple of years ago, but I heard good things.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1613 on: November 03, 2020, 05:26:56 AM »
His output from here in out is very good. We’ll be covering it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: November 03, 2020, 05:42:36 AM »
I had kinda the opposite experience, Kade. Not having heard it before, I spun You Are Here yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. I had it on while doing other things, but I expect to have time to get a proper listen in soon. Because of a brief brush with Vinnie era UFO some years ago, I was expecting to be one and done. I only heard one annoying "Vinnie-ism" and it was pretty brief so who knows, maybe I'll like it more on the second listen.

Honestly, I can't stop listening to the Mogg & the Sign of 4 album. It sounds fantastic on my car's Bose system when it is up really loud. Such a crystal clear production, and the guitarist has me enthralled with their technique. It's like Hendrix and Knopler had a rockin' love child. I wish I knew who the guitarist is, but with no physical copy available, and no wiki page, I'll probably never know.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Bentower

« Reply #1615 on: November 03, 2020, 05:48:46 AM »
That's Jeff Kollman on $ign of 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Kollman
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: November 03, 2020, 06:14:35 AM »
Thank you, Bentower!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1617 on: November 03, 2020, 08:10:39 AM »
I had kinda the opposite experience, Kade. Not having heard it before, I spun You Are Here yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. I had it on while doing other things, but I expect to have time to get a proper listen in soon. Because of a brief brush with Vinnie era UFO some years ago, I was expecting to be one and done. I only heard one annoying "Vinnie-ism" and it was pretty brief so who knows, maybe I'll like it more on the second listen.

Honestly, I can't stop listening to the Mogg & the Sign of 4 album. It sounds fantastic on my car's Bose system when it is up really loud. Such a crystal clear production, and the guitarist has me enthralled with their technique. It's like Hendrix and Knopler had a rockin' love child. I wish I knew who the guitarist is, but with no physical copy available, and no wiki page, I'll probably never know.

There is no such thing as an "annoying" Vinnieism.  :lol
I assume you mean some widdly widdly arpeggio stuff. That's not annoying - it's sonic bliss  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Sharks
« Reply #1618 on: November 03, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »

Um... did you say something about me sucking at comprehension last week? ;D :P

$ign Of Four-Dancing With St. Peter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz4TN3THuPU&list=PLM0QWHFvEjTatO0DeEK2i7JMpSStCbeoD

Released 2002

A quasi solo album/ new band featuring Phil Mogg, Jeff Kollman, Shane Gaalaas, and bassist Jimmy Curtain.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: November 03, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »

I think I always thought they were decent enough albums but hearing everything else just set the bar too high that going back to YAH, it just doesn't hold up.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: November 03, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »

I submit for your consideration; timestamp 2:51-3:13 of Mr. Freeze.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1621 on: November 03, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »

I submit for your consideration; timestamp 2:51-3:13 of Mr. Freeze.

NO WAY!!

That part is awesome!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: November 03, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »
Yeah, that part is pretty cool.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: November 03, 2020, 06:29:35 PM »
:yawn:

I’m not a fan of musical expression turned into a athletic competition. It’s just me. Feel free to ignore me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1624 on: November 03, 2020, 06:51:35 PM »
It's fast, but it's still melodic.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1625 on: November 03, 2020, 07:00:36 PM »
I also think that part amazing, musically speaking. Specially because he doesn't do that all the time in his soloing. But I get that it's a more technical approach, not everyone likes it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 07:26:53 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1626 on: November 03, 2020, 07:02:31 PM »
His flurries like that are really few and far between.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: November 03, 2020, 07:19:00 PM »

What?! That’s the complete opposite of melodic! I really am out of touch with y’all.  :huh:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: November 03, 2020, 09:28:13 PM »
His flurries like that are really few and far between.

I think that's what makes it quite a neat little section.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1629 on: November 04, 2020, 05:25:40 AM »

What?! That’s the complete opposite of melodic! I really am out of touch with y’all.  :huh:

I have no problem with that section - it fits the music. it's not his best work, but it's not very representative of Vinnie at all and certainly not of his work with UFO.
His first solo album had lots of fast passages that are very melodic in nature. the two are not mutually exclusive.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1630 on: November 04, 2020, 08:31:23 AM »
In 2005 UFO would release Showtime, the live album from the You Are Here tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a0ck1YTGpI

The tracklist is:

Mother Mary
When Daylight Goes To Town
Let It Roll
I'm A Loser
This Kids
The Wild One
Fighting Man
Only You Can Rock Me
Baby Blue
Mr. Freeze
Love To Love
Too Hot To Handle
Lights Out
Rock Bottom
Doctor Doctor
Shoot Shoot

The DVD has a bonus in the studio performances of:

Pack It Up (And Go)
Try Me
Love To Love
Slipping Away
Cherry
Profession Of Violence

This is a great package, even though it is a bit Strangers heavy. Vinnie really fills the Schenker roll quite nicely.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1631 on: November 04, 2020, 09:00:06 AM »
I have this on dvd and enjoyed it. Vinnie was a bit restrained I felt though I haven't played it in a few years. Might be worth revisiting.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1632 on: November 04, 2020, 10:06:21 AM »
I'll rewatch it again, but, from what I remember, this album has great versions of all the songs. I didn't comment previoulsy, but I think Bonham did an excellent work on You Are Here and also in this live album. I would prefer if he had continued in UFO, I think he added more complexity to drums, without being over the top, blending it very well to the UFO's sound.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1633 on: November 04, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »
I thought Jason was excellent. I commented on his drumming in my writeup when I mention Black Cold Coffee.

My only issue with the DVD, and it's a common complaint for most DVDs, is that I hate the high moving boom shots.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1634 on: November 04, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »
I thought Jason was excellent. I commented on his drumming in my writeup when I mention Black Cold Coffee.

My only issue with the DVD, and it's a common complaint for most DVDs, is that I hate the high moving boom shots.

I want to get to this for that reason; I'm a BIG Bonham fan, and I want to hear this.  With work and the election, though, it might not be until tomorrow.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1635 on: November 04, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
In fact, I think Jason is always excellent for classic/heavy/hard rock. Indeed a great drummer!
That DVD extra, live in studio, is really amazing! I wish it could be longer, it's so good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: November 04, 2020, 01:53:06 PM »
I have both the CD and DVD of this one.  I'll give the CD a spin.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1637 on: November 04, 2020, 01:56:52 PM »
My main complaint is that the same Strangers songs get played all of the time. But the three song run of Let It Roll, I'm A Loser, and This Kids is refreshing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: November 04, 2020, 10:55:48 PM »
Pretty nice set this.  It's hard though after listening to so much Schenker to hear these songs with Vinnie's tone.  He uses too much neck pickup for my liking.  Although the first half of what he does on This Kids is excellent.  I wished he played a lot more in this style in his time with UFO.  When he plays more that pentationic Schenker style he kills it.  He relies too much on really tradtional blues like licks and playing I feel.  Lots of major influneced stuff going on, it's just slightly offputting to me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1639 on: November 05, 2020, 05:10:16 AM »
Pretty nice set this.  It's hard though after listening to so much Schenker to hear these songs with Vinnie's tone.  He uses too much neck pickup for my liking.  Although the first half of what he does on This Kids is excellent.  I wished he played a lot more in this style in his time with UFO.  When he plays more that pentationic Schenker style he kills it.  He relies too much on really tradtional blues like licks and playing I feel.  Lots of major influneced stuff going on, it's just slightly offputting to me.

I love the neck pickup and use it all the time soloing. Can't remember how the tone fits (or not) on this set but will have a re-listen soon.
Vinnie's usual preference is to play very modally. My ear isn't good enough to know if he's doing that in UFO or not.

Online Bentower

« Reply #1640 on: November 05, 2020, 06:05:53 AM »
I didn't notice much of a difference between his playing here and say, Defying Gravity from the same era. Yeah, he sure loves that neck pickup! Not that that's a bad thing, but I've always preferred the superb humbucker tones he had back when he was playing Ibanez. For me it was the keyboards sounds here that had me scratching my head, especially the lead tone. There appeared to be some phasing issues with Paul Raymond's guitar as well.

It was a treat seeing that though. Thanks for sharing, TAC!
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: November 05, 2020, 06:26:03 AM »
I've had a couple of listens to You Are Here, and it's been a good experience but I don't quite have a urge to buy it. The problem is, I've only listened to it while doing other things, and my attention wanders. I'll suddenly realize that song I was grooving to is now two songs away and I can't recall what was in-between. I'm going to try and get one serious dedicated listen in before I move on.

I watched the first two opening numbers of that video you linked to, Tim.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: November 05, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »
The version of Love to Love in this set is excellent.  I do really like what Vinnie does on this one.

Only You Can Rock Me However sounds totally castrated haha.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: November 05, 2020, 01:03:52 PM »

I love the neck pickup and use it all the time soloing. Can't remember how the tone fits (or not) on this set but will have a re-listen soon.
Vinnie's usual preference is to play very modally. My ear isn't good enough to know if he's doing that in UFO or not.

Yeah, maybe some Lydian mode perhaps.  That's one area I'm not the greatest wWith.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1644 on: November 05, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
Had a quick watch of a couple of songs earlier but was very distracted because Paul Raymond looked remarkably like my other half’s aunt. 😀😀😀