Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143032 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The Monkey Puzzle
« Reply #1785 on: November 13, 2020, 11:26:58 PM »
I won't have my copies of the 2 Schenker records until sometime next week. Checked the tracking and the USPS is up to shenanigans again. Shipped from Louisville and needs to come West of Chicago. Where did they go? The opposite direction to north of Pittsburgh?!?!?!?!?!?!? I frequently buy from this seller and nothing has ever gone that direction from them before.

Here's to hoping this isn't like my last purchase from Florida. That one spent at least a week and a half traversing the entire East Coast. Played pinball between 2 different locations that just kept sending it back and forth between them before finally making its way West. First time I ever had a seller reach out and mention how confused he was with its travel.

Which 2 albums?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1786 on: November 13, 2020, 11:51:38 PM »
Tales and In The Midst of Beauty.

I was one of the ones that actually was liking what I heard when checking out Midst. I could end up very wrong, but I went back and listened to the samples again and didn't feel any different. Still looking forward to both (whenever they actually arrive).
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1787 on: November 14, 2020, 12:06:52 AM »
Tales and In The Midst of Beauty.

I was one of the ones that actually was liking what I heard when checking out Midst. I could end up very wrong, but I went back and listened to the samples again and didn't feel any different. Still looking forward to both (whenever they actually arrive).

Very interested in thoughts on the next one.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1788 on: November 14, 2020, 04:49:00 AM »
Sorry for petering out on this thread, Tim. When I get a hankering to explore these later albums, I'll come back and read about them.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1789 on: November 14, 2020, 05:39:57 AM »
I thought Midst had some good songs. Put McAuley on them and we’d be talking.
It was certainly meant to hark back to the early stuff but the phoned in vocals held it back. I still enjoyed it though, after the first minute or two when I almost bailed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1790 on: November 14, 2020, 06:39:24 AM »
Sorry for petering out on this thread, Tim. When I get a hankering to explore these later albums, I'll come back and read about them.

OK, thank you for your participation along the way. It's a long journey for sure.

I know you weren't impressed with You Are Here, but that's not really representative of the albums that follow up. As you've read here, The Monkey Puzzle is quite different, even a bit mellow.

But do me a favor, at least stick around for The Visitor. I'll be posting that tomorrow. It's easily the best album of the bunch. I have it as a Top 10 UFO album.

The two that follow that are definitely not as good IMO.

While you stated you weren't a fan of the shredding, Vinnie's playing over these albums is really anything but. In fact, I listen and I'm thinking "Let's go Vinnie kick it up a notch!". Seven Deadly is actually quite bluesy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1791 on: November 14, 2020, 07:26:33 AM »
Didn't think I had to. Stuff from this seller usually comes quick.

Well, just checked again and it arrived in Chicago this evening. Problem here is, anything that goes through that location has, on many occasions, taken up to 10 days to travel the 60 miles it needs to get here.

I finally try to play in the MSG pool and this happens. Of course, I do get violently ill when I eat anything with MSG. Does not agree with me, but that's probably different from the band.

You never know; Robin McAuley doesn't agree with me too much....     :) :) :)

By the way, I don't think it's your seller; USPS is just whack.  I have some watch batteries and a set of spark plug cables coming for my truck and you'd think they were coming from Nepal for the time it's taken them.  I'm in CT and both are coming from NY and it's been over a week.   :tdwn.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1792 on: November 14, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
Speaking of McAuley, I really did not like what I heard on the sample from Tales. I know everybody raves about him, but if that is indicative of how he sounds, then I'm not that interested. Did not like his voice at all.

I have at the very least checked out stuff from most of the Schenker albums that have come through this thread. I bolted on most because I did not like whomever the singer was on that given album. For some reason, I never bothered to even check the McAuley albums. After hearing his voice on Tales, it seems like the right call. Just not my style.

And I know it's not my seller. The USPS has been awful all summer and seems to only be getting worse.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The Visitor
« Reply #1793 on: November 14, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »
The Visitor

The Visitor (2009)

Released June 2, 2009

1. Saving Me
2. On The Waterfront
3. Hell Driver
4. Stop Breaking Down
5. Rock Ready
6. Living Proof
7. Can't Buy A Thrill
8. Forsaken
9. Villains & Thieves
10. Stranger In Town

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Vinnie Moore-Guitar
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/Guitar

Peter Pichl-Bass

I consider The Visitor a Top 10 UFO album. To me, it's easily the class of the Vinnie Moore Era.

The band is listed as a four piece, as the they left the door open for a Pete Way return. Sadly, he never did. A session bass player was used for the album.

So many great tunes on this.

Stop Breaking Down has a cool AC/DC styled intro.
Can't Buy A Thrill reminds me of the Mechanix Era.

I mention that UFO turned into a heavy Rolling Stones, and when you hear the intro to Forsaken, you'll know why.

The last two tracks, for some reason, didn't make my Best Of Vinnie Compilation I did a number of years ago, but I think they are two of the best songs on the album.

Villains & Thieves has a great Vinnie chugga-rootin' tootin'-chugga chugga intro. And Stranger In Town is an amazing album closer. Great Phil lyrics, as always. Phil's lyrics, I general, during the Vinnie Era are really interesting.

I also want to say that Paul Raymond is fantastic on this album, especially on Stranger In Town
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1794 on: November 14, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »
Although this album is the more blues rock of all from the Vinnie’s era (at least, that’s how I hear it), I appreciate it a lot. The songs are really well done. The album is a bit more shorter, but it helps to have the consistency of Monkey Puzzle. Saving Me, Forsaken, Villains & Thieves and Stranger in Town are among my favorites and Helll Driver and Stop Breaking Down are the ones that I love most from this album. Like in Monkey Puzzle, Paul Raymond is also excellent in this album.
About the tour, it was the only time I saw UFO live!!! It was their first time in Brazil… well, better late than never! I saw them on Bolshoi, Goiânia/GO. At the time I was living in Brasília, only a 3 hour car trip to Goiânia, so, I had to be there! It was totally worth, great performance and amazing setlist – a lot like Strangers... but, hey, I had never seen them live, so, it was immensely cool!
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ufo/2010/bolshoi-pub-goiania-brazil-63d8ea67.html
The place is a pub, so it was nice to see them really near. It’s not my footage (unfortunately I didn’t even take any picture), but this video suceeds to show the atmosphere of that night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsXrLg6hPFQ

RANKING:
OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT – 9.5
MAKING CONTACT/WALK ON WATER – 9.0
NO PLACE TO RUN/HIGH STAKES & DANGEROUS MEN/MOGG-WAY – CHOCOLATE BOX – 8.5
PHENOMENON/MOGG-WAY – EDGE OF THE WORLD/COVENANT/ THE MONKEY PUZZLE  – 8.0
MISDEMEANOR/YOU ARE HERE/THE VISITOR - 7.5
AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’/? – 7.0
? – 6.5
SHARKS – 6.0
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1795 on: November 14, 2020, 06:08:08 PM »
I see that Rob Deluca played bass on that leg of the tour.

I would see them on this tour too.  On the US leg, Barry Sparks was the bassist.
I saw the show in Foxboro, MA.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ufo/2011/showcase-live-foxborough-ma-4bd3e702.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z5jtbZZ-Uc

Unfortunately, they were running late so they scrapped Rock Bottom. But they did open with The Wild The Willing And The Innocent, and they played I'm A Loser and Try Me. Plus it was the first time seeing Andy Parker live.

I had my old phone, so my pics aren't great..

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1796 on: November 14, 2020, 06:21:52 PM »
Like in Monkey Puzzle, Paul Raymond is also excellent in this album.

RANKING:
THE VISITOR - 7.5

Yes, Paul Raymond is great, but that rating is too low.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1797 on: November 14, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »

Unfortunately, they were running late so they scrapped Rock Bottom. But they did open with The Wild The Willing And The Innocent, and they played I'm A Loser and Try Me.

Really GREAT aditions to the setlist!
I know I don't like The Visitor as much as you, but that 7.5 grade has much more to do with comparing to the other UFO albums. It happens that I like more the others above this grade. But it just really shows how strong is the UFO discography to me. :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1798 on: November 14, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
 :tup

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1799 on: November 14, 2020, 07:59:36 PM »
I said in my last post that I have Monkey Puzzle on my IPod. Turns out I was wrong on that - it is The Visitor that is on my IPod. Phil's voice sounds a bit tired on this album. There were a few songs that stood out for me. I don’t recall the song titles but will listen again this week, since you think so highly of this one, TAC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1800 on: November 14, 2020, 08:20:51 PM »
I forgot to mention Phil's voice. Thank you for reminding me...

It does sound like he's being recorded in a bathroom stall. But he has definitely adapted to his "old man voice". I still think it's cool though, especially when you combine it with his "out there" lyrics.

But try and find The Monkey Puzzle. It's worth a listen.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1801 on: November 14, 2020, 11:07:57 PM »
Eh, I'm not feeling the Vinnie era outside of You Are Here. Couldn't even finish The Visitor. I don't know if it's one of those things where I am not in the mind-space to hear this or what. It's just not clicking at all. I will say that On The Waterfront was hot garbage. Just did not like that song. The rest that I listened to were okay. Not terrible, but not really memorable in any way to me.

I will attempt this one again later, along with Monkey. Just not sure when.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: November 15, 2020, 03:52:11 AM »
I'll add some thoughts to try and bulk up as it seems most are not feeling the Vinnie stuff.

Saving Me:  This is a great opener.  Pretty classic UFO this one and the chorus is really nice.  Has a nice atmosphere and the song breathes well. It's not a mindblowing song or anything but it's a nice opener.  Vinnie's lead tone here and I like the key change into the solo.  He rips here too.

On the Waterfront:  Yeah, this is not really my style, but I like hearing Phil in this sort of style.  I understand what you guys mean with the vocal recording, but I never really had an issue with it or thought anything negative of them really.  It's passable because it's under 4 minutes long.  I do like the up tempo section after Vinnie's solo though.

Hell Driver:  This one rocks nicely.  Great groove here and simple riff but it's a bit of an earworm.  That 'baby, please come home' section is pure Schenker UFO style, great, great melodies here.  Typical solo, but it's most welcome.

Stop Breaking Down:  One of my favs from the Vinnie era.  Love the more minor melodic vibe of this one.  Vinnie's playing is damn fine here.  Love the key change into the verses, great tension.  Excellent chorus, and I love Vinnie's Schenker like playing in the chorus.  The solo is unbelievable.    That phrase at 3:02 is beautiful.  His climbs up the next section is great.  And surprisingly, his flurries at 3:24 work so damn well.  Love this one.

Rock Ready:  If there's one thing I really don't like, is slide guitar, in this style anyway.  This is a bit of a miss, but the chorus is cool enough and has a classic UFO vibe.  I even get maybe a No Heavy Petting vibe in the solo too.  Luckily it's only 3 minutes.

Living Proof:  A bit funky this one.  Not really feeling Phil's vocals in the verses, seems contrived but when he picks it up half way through, that's really nice.  The phone booth recording actually is very prominent here.  The more this goes on though, I quite like it. Vinnie's fills are nice.  The slide works quite nicely here and Vinnie's tone is warm and works well.  Not a bad tune this one.

Can't Buy A Thrill:  Another fav of mine from this era.  Similar style as Stop Breaking Down but this is the style Vinnie shines on for me.  Moody, a bit dark and brooding and I love Phil here.  I like the call and answer type thing from Phil and Vinnie too, a bit classic UFO.  Great chorus here.   The chord progression in the solo is dark and Vinnie plays it nice.  Just a really excellent tune this one.  Phil's melodies in the chorus are great and memorable.

Forsaken:  This is fine for the style, but not really my thing.  Phil's voice makes it listenable though.  Strong Guthrie Govan vibe in the solo though.

Villains and Thieves: Nice tune this one.  It has a nice mix of something a little heavier but still the bluesy style the band are going for.  Great heavy riff before the solo and Vinnie sounds great here again.  The chorus gives me an old school UFO vibe too.  Nice one.

Stranger in Town:  Great closer this one.  The chorus on this one is really strong, and one of the strongest on the album I think.  Vinnie's melody after the chorus is brilliant.  Love the structure on this one.  A bit more hard rocking in the middle with this one.  That lick at 2:30, holy shit that's nice.  Great mid section.  I forgot how good this one was.  Definitely rejig your compilation Tim to include this one for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1803 on: November 15, 2020, 02:36:27 PM »
Awesome Kade! Thank you for writing.

I knew you'd pick up on the uptempo change in On The Waterfront. That's a cool transition.

Yes, Stranger In Town is a great song. That chorus is amazing. I love the ending with those Paul Raymond flurries.

I'm totally with you on Stop Breaking Down and Can't Buy A Thrill. Great songs!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1804 on: November 15, 2020, 03:24:02 PM »
Those 2 songs stack up against anything from their catalog to a degree.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1805 on: November 15, 2020, 03:35:32 PM »
I rate the album pretty high.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: November 15, 2020, 05:26:02 PM »
I rate the album pretty high.

Yeah, it's a nice one indeed.  Even the style which is not my cup of tea I can enjoy here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1807 on: November 16, 2020, 08:38:47 AM »
The Visitor

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Vinnie Moore-Guitar
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/Guitar

Peter Pichl-Bass

Peter Pickle?  Is that a joke?  This isn't like Billy Sheehan or someone like that that can't disclose their real name for contractual reasons, is it?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1808 on: November 16, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »
 :lol No I don't think so..

He's an actual bass player.
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/peter-pichl-mn0000416664

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1809 on: November 16, 2020, 08:48:50 AM »
Best of the Vinnie era I would say. The "old Phil" voice is well suited to this stuff and Vinnie plays well, trying to infuse some personality into the tired old blues cliches. He pretty much succeeds, but it's not what I want to hear Vinnie doing really. Id' have loved him to form a prog metal band back in the early 90s when he was in fusion mode. Something in the vein of Images & Words could have been made.

Still, it's a good album and the one from the Vinnie era I'm likely to go back to.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1810 on: November 16, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »
Best of the Vinnie era I would say. The "old Phil" voice is well suited to this stuff and Vinnie plays well, trying to infuse some personality into the tired old blues cliches.

Yes, I agree..

He pretty much succeeds, but it's not what I want to hear Vinnie doing really.

I totally get that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1811 on: November 16, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »
I'm listening to the next UFO album, and I feel like I'm having a mini epiphany.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1812 on: November 16, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »
I'm listening to the next UFO album, and I feel like I'm having a mini epiphany.

Wonderland.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1813 on: November 16, 2020, 04:32:25 PM »

:metal

One of their heaviest songs!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: November 16, 2020, 04:59:03 PM »

You piqued my interest with “heaviest songs”

Yeah, pretty good  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1815 on: November 16, 2020, 05:01:13 PM »

Sorry, shouldn't be jumping ahead.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1816 on: November 16, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »
Got my MSG albums today. Going to try to listen to at least Tales tonight, hopefully.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1817 on: November 16, 2020, 05:39:52 PM »
Got my MSG albums today. Going to try to listen to at least Tales tonight, hopefully.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1818 on: November 16, 2020, 06:04:59 PM »
Re-listening to this album, the only mini epiphany that I had was... it IS better than Sharks!
But... in my ranking:
SHARKS – 6.0
 ;D
Wonderland IS great! :heart

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1819 on: November 16, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »