Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Guitarists countdown thread! (Top 2 featured!!)  (Read 37464 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Top 25 Favorite Guitarists countdown thread! (Top 2 featured!!)
« Reply #1400 on: February 08, 2024, 04:20:10 PM »
1. Mark Knopfler

Decided to post this here because many of the guitarists mentioned in this thread feature.

Mark Knopfler has gathered together 60 guitarists for a re-recording of his 1983 tune Going Home (the theme from the movie Local Hero, for which he wrote the soundtrack). Guitarists featured include David Gilmour, Jeff Beck (his final recorded work apparently), Alex Lifeson, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Slash, Joe Satriani, Brian May, Steve Lukather, Bruce Springstein, Peter Frampton and, wait for it, Sheryl Crow.

Tune's out in March and benefits charity:

https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/mark-knopfler-guitarists-going-home-charity-single-bruce-springsteen-slash-townshend-1235602787/

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1401 on: February 08, 2024, 04:22:49 PM »
Do they get 6 notes each?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1402 on: February 08, 2024, 04:31:28 PM »
All of these "and many more."

The song from the group dubbed Mark Knopfler’s Guitar Heroes was produced by former Dire Straits keyboardist Guy Fletcher and also features work from Sheryl Crow, Joan Armatrading, Journey’s Jonathan Cain, Tom Morello, Peter Frampton, Buddy Guy, Joe Bonamassa, former Squeeze member Paul Carrack, Keith Urban, Steve Cropper, Steve Vai, Vince Gill, Sam Fender, Sonny Landreth, Duran Duran’s Andy Taylor, the Eagles’ Joe Walsh, Albert Lee, Rush’s Alex Lifeson, Steve Lukather, Dave Mason, Cheap Trick’s Rick Nielsen, Orianthi, Susan Tedeschi and Dereck Trucks and many more.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1403 on: February 08, 2024, 04:38:09 PM »
Do they get 6 notes each?
It's gonna be the full 30 minute blowout version.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1404 on: March 22, 2024, 11:13:18 AM »
1. Mark Knopfler

Decided to post this here because many of the guitarists mentioned in this thread feature.

Mark Knopfler has gathered together 60 guitarists for a re-recording of his 1983 tune Going Home (the theme from the movie Local Hero, for which he wrote the soundtrack). Guitarists featured include David Gilmour, Jeff Beck (his final recorded work apparently), Alex Lifeson, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Slash, Joe Satriani, Brian May, Steve Lukather, Bruce Springstein, Peter Frampton and, wait for it, Sheryl Crow.

Tune's out in March and benefits charity:

https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/mark-knopfler-guitarists-going-home-charity-single-bruce-springsteen-slash-townshend-1235602787/

Bit 'busy' but I suppose that's what you get when 60-odd guitarists play over one another...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zBGm7gJtSZE

The tune proper kicks in at 3 minutes and the video 'helpfully' labels who's playing what and when. I think.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1405 on: March 22, 2024, 12:24:49 PM »
"Blues Licks: The Song".  I'll bet there will be some covers of it all over Youtube in the next few days, although it would be a nightmare to catch every little buried part.  It's cool that he managed to assemble so many people together, although it's unfortunate that the format really homogenizes dozens of different unique players into mostly sounding very similar to each other. 

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1406 on: March 22, 2024, 12:29:06 PM »
Half of them - and it's the ultimate testament to greatness - you can catch without needing a name on the screen.

Most true to the original song: Peter Frampton
Dick swinging the hardest on entrance: Brian May
Most surprising melody: Toni Iommi
Most obnoxious: Tom Morello
Best tone: Joe Bonamassa

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1407 on: March 22, 2024, 04:40:19 PM »
Most obnoxious: Tom Morello

Agree with this. It was inappropriate for the type of exercise this was and it really pulled me out of the piece.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1408 on: March 22, 2024, 04:46:34 PM »
I'm not sure Satch's whammy bar stuff fit either.  :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: March 22, 2024, 06:35:31 PM »
Dick swinging the hardest on entrance: Brian May

Well, of course, that line caught my eye.  His part didn't jump out at me as much as I thought it would, but I've just always wanted to
be able to include 'dick swinging the hardest on entrance' in a DTF post, and get away with it. :lol

But, Tony Iommi and the overlap with Brian was terrific.

Frampton never ceases to amaze.  Enjoyed Steve Lukather as well.

(oy, only two commercial interruptions during the first three minutes >:()
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1410 on: March 22, 2024, 06:55:06 PM »
I tapped out after 30 seconds.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1411 on: March 22, 2024, 07:07:44 PM »
Seen Frampton 8 times. An absolutely awe inspiring show as a guitarist and singer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1412 on: March 22, 2024, 07:15:21 PM »
I tapped out after 30 seconds.

I got a little farther, but it was bland, and watching the graphics with the names gave me a headache.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung