Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142978 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The Visitor
« Reply #1855 on: November 19, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
I'm a few songs into Temple of Rock.  Yeah, this is kind of shithouse.  Don't even know if I'll take the rest in the car this morning to work lol.  Might put me in a shitty mood before I get there.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1856 on: November 19, 2020, 07:14:26 PM »
I'm really happy mostly everyone enjoyed The Monkey Puzzle and The Visitor. They are really nice album.

We have just 2 more UFO albums to go, plus their final album, which was a covers album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Seven Deadly
« Reply #1857 on: November 19, 2020, 07:17:10 PM »
Seven Deadly

Seven Deadly (2012)

Released February 27, 2012

1. Fright Night
2. Wonderland
3. Mojo Town
4. Angel Station
5. Year Of The Gun
6. The Last Stone Rider
7. Steal Yourself
8. Burn Your House Down
9. The Fear
10. Waving Good Bye
11. Other Men's Wives
12. Bag o' Blues

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Vinnie Moore-Guitar
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/Guitar

Lars Lehmann-Bass

So I was listening to this the other night, and I had a mini epiphany. I generally consider this the weakest of the Vinnie Era, and one of their weakest albums ever.

But while listening, this album is....extremely bluesy and...pleasant. Vinnie Moore kicks ass all over this. I think his reputation as a shredder really sets a false set of expectations for UFO. Still, he plays with great tone and it matches Phil's voice really well.

This album starts off pretty heavy with Fright Night and Wonderland. Both great tracks. But then is settles into basically a blues album. It is filled with some gorgeous Vinnie licks and interesting Phil stories.

I feel like they channel a little Zeppelin in spots. In Angel Station, I hear a little Ten Years Gone vibe, and in The Last Stone Rider there's a spot where the music pulls back, and it's just the drums a la John Bonham.

Speaking of The Last Stone Rider, that was the working title to the album, even mentioned in press releases pre album.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1858 on: November 19, 2020, 10:50:02 PM »
I’m interested in checking out Seven Deadly, based on your description of it. In the last couple of years I have developed a taste for bluesy material.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1859 on: November 19, 2020, 11:41:50 PM »
I couldn't find the cd of this one this morning.  Will hunt it out and give it a spin.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: November 20, 2020, 12:24:42 AM »
I'm a few songs into Temple of Rock.  Yeah, this is kind of shithouse.  Don't even know if I'll take the rest in the car this morning to work lol.  Might put me in a shitty mood before I get there.

I could just see you going into work yelling and screaming at everyone inside the office. Finally co-workers will confront you and say “Kade, please, is everything ok. Do you need to talk to someone?” And you will just stand on a table and say “I’m very sorry everyone for my behaviour, but earlier I was listening to a shitty Michael Schenker album from 2011”. And then everyone in the office will simultaneously say “Ahh..Temple of Rock”

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1861 on: November 20, 2020, 01:04:18 AM »
The Visitor didn't quite match the hype in my case. It was decent enough, but I guess it was the Rolling Stones-y flavour that failed to get my engine started. A bit of a miss then. This is based on a single listen though so take it with a grain of salt.

Seven Deadly on the other hand I enjoyed a lot. This was a solid blues rock album and thankfully there was none of that drudging slow blues here. They kicked things off nicely with that trio of more hard rocking tracks. This line-up had definitely found their groove by this point. I'm happy knowing there's that one more album to discover after this one.

Oh, and I'm soon heading out to pick up the Strangers in the Night boxset from the record store! *excitement*
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:11:01 PM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: November 20, 2020, 04:19:16 AM »

I could just see you going into work yelling and screaming at everyone inside the office. Finally co-workers will confront you and say “Kade, please, is everything ok. Do you need to talk to someone?” And you will just stand on a table and say “I’m very sorry everyone for my behaviour, but earlier I was listening to a shitty Michael Schenker album from 2011”. And then everyone in the office will simultaneously say “Ahh..Temple of Rock”

I'd be crying getting consoled and just saying 'how could MS release something this crap?' Sobbing in disbelief.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: November 20, 2020, 04:20:24 AM »
The Visitor didn't quite match the hype in my case. It was decent enough, but I guess it was the Rolling Stones-y flavour that failed to get my engine started. A bit of a miss then. This is based on a single listen though so take it with a grain of salt.

Seven Deadly on the other hand I enjoyed a lot. This was a solid blues rock album and thankfully there was none of that drudging slow blues here. They kicked things off nicely with that trio of more hard rocking tracks. This line-up had definitely found their groove by this point. I'm happy knowing there's that one more album to discover after this one.

Oh, and I'm soon heading out to pick up the Strangers in the Night boxset for the record store! *excitement*

Don't get your hopes up on the next one.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1864 on: November 20, 2020, 04:55:23 AM »
Although Seven Deadly is notably more inconsistent than The Visitor, with half of the album being just average, I really like Fight Night (I love that “fat” riff), Wonderland (totally Chapman’s era, really nice!), Mojo Town, Angel Station (it does have a cool acoustic Led Zep vibe), Burn Your House Down (again, UFO doing great ballads), Fear and Other’s Men’s Wives (bonus track).
I think it’s the “worst” from Vinnie’s era, but, as I said, I still like it more than Sharks. At least, it’s an album that I really like to revisit the songs that I like more.
Ranking:

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT – 9.5
MAKING CONTACT/WALK ON WATER – 9.0
NO PLACE TO RUN/HIGH STAKES & DANGEROUS MEN/MOGG-WAY – CHOCOLATE BOX – 8.5
PHENOMENON/MOGG-WAY – EDGE OF THE WORLD/COVENANT/ THE MONKEY PUZZLE  – 8.0
MISDEMEANOR/YOU ARE HERE/THE VISITOR - 7.5
AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’/A CONSPIRACY OF STARS – 7.0
SEVEN DEADLY – 6.5
SHARKS – 6.0
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 05:15:05 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: November 20, 2020, 04:57:24 AM »
Although Seven Deadly is notably more inconsistent than The Visitor, with half of the album being just average, I really like Fight Night (I love that “fat” riff), Wonderland (totally Chapman’s era, really nice!), Mojo Town, Angel Station (it does have a cool acoustic Led Zep vibe), Burn Your House Down (again, UFO doing great ballads), Fear and Other’s Men’s Wives (bonus track).
I think it’s the “worst” from Vinnie’s era, but, as I said, I still like it more than Sharks. At least, it’s an album that I really like to revisit the songs that I like more.

You really have it in for Sharks.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1866 on: November 20, 2020, 05:23:12 AM »
Sharks is interesting, because, every time I try to listen to the album, I recognize that it does have some cool songs, but I never really have the desire to re-listen to them - it never changes. I think this listening party will be my last time giving this album a chance :-\
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:33:50 AM by devieira73 »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1867 on: November 20, 2020, 07:43:36 AM »
Amazon just sent me an update on the Strangers Deluxe box. Expected delivery is now between 12/9 and 12/31. Nice. Figured this was going to happen.

EDIT: And now I see that Amazon is not even taking orders for this anymore. In past experiences, this means I might not even get mine. I've run into this before with them. They push out the delivery date and then eventually just say 'we have no idea if you'll get it, do you want to wait or cancel'.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:22:42 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1868 on: November 20, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »
Amazon just sent me an update on the Strangers Deluxe box. Expected delivery is now between 12/9 and 12/31. Nice. Figured this was going to happen.

EDIT: And now I see that Amazon is not even taking orders for this anymore. In past experiences, this means I might not even get mine. I've run into this before with them. They push out the delivery date and then eventually just say 'we have no idea if you'll get it, do you want to wait or cancel'.

I got the same email.      :tdwn

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1869 on: November 20, 2020, 09:09:51 AM »
Yeah it doesn’t seem like a package that there is an over abundance of; so if you get your hands on a copy, don’t get rid of it. It’s tough to find on Amazon and eBay.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1871 on: November 20, 2020, 02:16:41 PM »
Cool opener and single! Really nice to hear Shencker and Derek together! :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1873 on: November 20, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/michael-schenker-group-lyric-video-for-drilled-to-kill-feat-ralf-scheepers/

New album featuring two of Tim's fav vocalists.

Ooh, the album features a re-recording of In Search of the Peace of mind from Scorps’ Lonesome Crow album. Looking forward to hearing that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: November 20, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »
I'm not thrilled with the vocals by committee approach to the last three records, and even though I like the vocalists on the new one - Romero, JLT, Barden - there are just as many I can do without - Voss, Scheepers, McAuley. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1875 on: November 20, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »

After hunting, I am going to roll the dice in hopes that Amazon comes through. I found it in stock on 2 whole sites - Amazon UK and Nuclear Blast's German store. All other sites that I found with a listing had it out of stock and weren't taking orders. Seems TAC put demand for this through the roof with his little listening party.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: November 20, 2020, 03:45:57 PM »

After hunting, I am going to roll the dice in hopes that Amazon comes through. I found it in stock on 2 whole sites - Amazon UK and Nuclear Blast's German store. All other sites that I found with a listing had it out of stock and weren't taking orders. Seems TAC put demand for this through the roof with his little listening party.

Vintage UFO that all four of us created an out of stock situation!   :) :)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1877 on: November 20, 2020, 04:09:24 PM »
Hey, it was you that said their distribution sucks. This just confirms it.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1878 on: November 20, 2020, 07:02:09 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/michael-schenker-group-lyric-video-for-drilled-to-kill-feat-ralf-scheepers/

New album featuring two of Tim's fav vocalists.

Holy fuck is that song awesome. I'm not a huge Ralf guy. He hits a certain tone that is just not pleasurable to me. But on this, he's a bit more restrained and I like it. I mean, I think this is something Graham Bonnet would've sounded good on too. But I like Ralf here.

This song bleeds German metal. Total Accept/Helloween. I love it. His soloing is amazing.  :hefdaddy

I am not excited about the Romero thing. But I'll get the new album to get that blue ray for sure. I'm also very intrigued to hear what Joe Lyn Turner sounds like. I thought he was outstanding on The Mystery Of Time.

I had assumed this would be released under the Michael Schenker Fest name, but it's MSG.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1879 on: November 20, 2020, 07:05:35 PM »
Seems TAC put demand for this through the roof with his little listening party.

Vintage UFO that all four of us created an out of stock situation!   :) :)

:lol :lol to both of you!

I got the same email. Hopefully everyone auto ripped it.
I say that because a few years ago, I bought a 6 disc Gary Moore Live At Montreaux set. It had autorip on Amazon. But they kept delaying the hard copy, until they finally said they couldn't fulfill it. So they gave me a full refund. But because I had already autoripped it, I had the music...for free!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1880 on: November 20, 2020, 07:13:27 PM »

Sorry, I am guilty of hyping The Visitor.

Really happy you like Seven Deadly. Thanks Ben!

I’m interested in checking out Seven Deadly, based on your description of it. In the last couple of years I have developed a taste for bluesy material.

Looking forward to your report!

:rollin

Yeah, pretty much! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: November 20, 2020, 07:25:55 PM »
Yeah, pretty happy with this new song.  Definite german vibe as Tim mentioned.

I can't stand that hat however.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1882 on: November 21, 2020, 05:36:06 AM »
Decent tune. Riff was a bit bland but Ralf sounded better than on the recent Primal Fear.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1883 on: November 21, 2020, 08:24:33 PM »
Vinnie's solo on Sugar Cane :hefdaddy

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1884 on: November 21, 2020, 10:35:56 PM »
Man, if Seven Deadly followed the lead of the first 3 tracks this could have been a ripper. The rest of the album is, like the previous two, not sitting all that well with me. I think those 3 are the best I have heard from this 3 album run after You Are Here. Such a shame they blew their load on 3 tracks.

EDIT: Yeah, after finishing this, about the only other song that I kind of liked was Other Man's Wives. These guys just kind of sputtered out on me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:58:36 PM by ProfessorPeart »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: November 22, 2020, 03:11:04 AM »
Vinnie's solo on Sugar Cane :hefdaddy

Moving ahead already?  I'll post some thoughts on 7D soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: November 22, 2020, 04:15:12 AM »
This one is actually a lot better than I remembered. 

Fright Night:  That's a straight up UFO intro if ever I've heard one.  Reminds me of Natural Thing or something.  The chorus has that Vinnie era vibe, but there's some real nice energy to this one.  I like Phil's tone here, he sounds strong.  That section before the solo is classic UFO also.  Vinnie shreds nicely here.  Great tune.

Wonderland:  This might actually be my fav Vinnie era track, more so than the two I favoured on the last one.  This one is an absolute ripper.  Great pulsing drive and a classic Priest like riff here.  I love the monkey lines in here.  The lyrics on this one also are epic.  "Reckless winos with black albinos!"  Love it.  Great chorus but the solo here fucking rips.  Vinnie shows why he has the status he does in the guitar world.

Mojo Town:  Now that's a sexy riff.  The slower vibe of this works nicely after Wonderland.  I actually get a Soundgarden vibe in the verses.  The chorus is pure groove too and Phil is excellent here and fits the mood really well.  THAT riff though, hot damn, I thought the intro riff was good but this riff in the middle is fucking AMAZING!  Vinnie again delivers the goods here.  Can't get over that riff though.  Great song.

Angel Station:  It is somewhat of a shame the band didn't keep the heaviness up at this point, but this is a great ballad.  I will note that Vinnie's tones all over this album are great and his rhythm tones here are magnificent, love them.  That little guitar melody in the pre chorus is really cool and a great contrast to the chorus.  Great soloing again and it's a little long but I like this tune.

Year of the Gun:  Not much to say about this one.  It's pretty plain and safe.  There's nothing really wrong with it, but not much to rave about either.  It's quite catchy and the change in the flavour in the solo is great.

The Last Stone Rider: Not a great deal going on with this one too.  It's fine.  I like the second half where it gets going a little more though.  I'm not too fond of the chorus but it's catchy enough to stick with you.

Steal Yourself:  This one is a little better.  I get that Pearl Jam feeling again with this one actually.  I like the darker bluesy undertones of this one.  The chorus is nice and groovy and the solo has a great feel.  Nice tune this one.

Burn Your House Down:  This is another good one and the atmosphere and feel of it is really nice.  Vinnie's tones again here are really cool.  Phil has some great melodies and a great performance too.  In the instrumental parts I get a real Black Sabbath vibe.  That intro into the section verse gives me a Lonely is the Word type of thing going on.  Actually, it sounds exactly like the Iommi/Hughes song It Falls Through Me I think it is.  Perfect platform for Vinnie too here, great song.

The Fear:  Oh, a little bit of uptempo.  Not a fan of harmonica but I like Phil here and I can handle the vibe here.  It's short so that makes this not too bad.  It's basic and filler but it's placed in the album pretty well.

Waving Goodbye:  Eh, a bit of a disappointing closer this one.  The mood is pleasant enough but nothing special here.

Other Men's Wives:  This blatant blues riff I can't really appreciate.  It's just so generic and boring.  The lyrics to the chorus are pretty funny and I don't mind the heavier aspects of the rhythm though.  Vinnie does a good job in making it salvageable.

Bag O' Bones: Pass

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1887 on: November 22, 2020, 05:51:31 AM »
I totally agree with your review, Wolfking :o :tup (although I think Others Men’s Wives is a bit cooler)
One thing that I would add (and saying it again) is that I think Wonderland is so Chapman’s era.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:41:57 AM by devieira73 »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1888 on: November 22, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
This could be my favourite Vinnie era album. He plays some seriously tasty stuff on here, always managing to spice up the blues cliches with something a bit different.

Phil sounds ok but this would be a great album with his 1980s voice rather than his age 80 voice  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: November 22, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »
I totally agree with your review, Wolfking :o :tup (although I think Others Men’s Wives is a bit cooler)
One thing that I would add (and saying it again) is that I think Wonderland is so Chapman’s era.

Interesting.  Don't hear Chapman era in that song truthfully.