Author Topic: The post funny stuff thread v.Aleph-naught  (Read 183362 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The post funny stuff thread v.Aleph-naught
« Reply #1085 on: November 04, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »
Yup.  And, unless I am mistaken, I'm pretty sure it is a myth that they get paid for every "in store" play either.  Unless the store in question is using some sort of broadcast service or streaming service, there isn't a way for outsiders to track that.  I'm pretty sure the whole "I get paid every time my song is played at the store" thing is just a joke/urban myth.  Now, where that could be some truth to it is that there are probably some sort of licensing agreements where the store chains pay a certain amount to license songs for its "soundtracks" that it plays in their stores by which the artists do get paid for use of their songs.  But that still isn't the same thing. 

I'm guessing PG, who has more knowledge of this area in general, could probably shed more light (and could correct me if I am mistaken about any of the above).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: November 04, 2021, 01:12:29 PM »
I know stores that play music HAVE to pay PRS. But obviously they're not telling PRS which songs they're playing.

Just found this after a quick search on the Googolplex

BBC Radio 1

PRS average payment per minute £14.91

PPL average payment per play £37.76
Yeah thats the biggest radio station in the UK - and best case scenario obviously but whatever....

But my point is that - just think how many times that one Slade song gets played ANYWHERE from Nov 1st to December 25. Even if its pennies. It soon adds up.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1087 on: November 04, 2021, 01:55:03 PM »
I can't speak to how things work in the UK.  However, I imagine it's at least similar to the U.S.

In the U.S., most publishing for popular music is administered through agencies like ASCAP and BMI.  Those agencies grant blanket licenses to radio stations and stores and other places where music is publicly performed.  The blanket license makes things much simpler.  Otherwise someone at a grocery store would have to keep track of what songs get played at every store every day and then figure out how much to pay for each performance.  It would be a record keeping nightmare.  The licenses are issued based on the revenue of the licensee (on average, a bit less than 2% of revenue).  The licensee still keeps logs of what is played, and ASCAP and BMI will do spot checks.  However, at the end ot the day, the revenue from blanket licenses is distributed by how much airplay each song gets.

At the end of the day, the amount paid per play is in the 6-12 cent range.  If you've got a song that gets played 10 million x per year and you're getting 10 cents per play, then you're getting $1 million per year.  Reasonable.  If that same songwriter is getting 30 GBP per play, he'd be earning 300 million GBP per year, which is obviously absurd.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1088 on: November 04, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »
Since we're now well down the rabbit-hole of 'not funny', perhaps the BBC numbers are skewed as such, because they're a national station, and could ostensibly be considered (for instance) the equivalent of 200 regional radio stations?  So, instead of paying $.10/play per station, it's not terribly unreasonable for it to be £30/play
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: November 04, 2021, 02:41:37 PM »
Maybe the £30 figure I always heard as a teen was literally just the BBC because they're so massive ( A Corporation no less ) that they can afford it.

------------------------------------------------------

Anyway - back to the hehe.

All drummers : " Cymbals :) "

All non - drummers " Symbols ??? "

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1090 on: November 04, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
Since we're now well down the rabbit-hole of 'not funny', perhaps the BBC numbers are skewed as such, because they're a national station, and could ostensibly be considered (for instance) the equivalent of 200 regional radio stations?  So, instead of paying $.10/play per station, it's not terribly unreasonable for it to be £30/play

Interesting thought. So you're asking if a station like Z100 pays $30 per play across 100 of their stations, whereas 100 individually owned stations would each pay $0.30 per play?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1091 on: November 04, 2021, 09:17:22 PM »

Interesting thought. So you're asking if a station like Z100 pays $30 per play across 100 of their stations, whereas 100 individually owned stations would each pay $0.30 per play?

Something like that. I’d assume that the size of the market plays (or should play) a factor in royalty calculations. Like, a station playing in NYC would have higher royalties than a station in Boise. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1092 on: November 05, 2021, 08:02:55 AM »
Defer to PG 100% here, but I always thought radio stations and live music venues paid a flat rate for royalties across the board, and it got divided up by the publishing houses based on their internal allocations.   I KNOW a place like Toad's Place - a 750 seat club that DT played a LOT in the early days - pays a royalty like that.   Else, every time some local band - who isn't doing that due diligence - takes the stage to "Who Let The Dogs Out" or breaks into "Smoke On The Water" at the end of their set would have to be chased down for royalties.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1093 on: November 05, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »
Defer to PG 100% here, but I always thought radio stations and live music venues paid a flat rate for royalties across the board, and it got divided up by the publishing houses based on their internal allocations.   I KNOW a place like Toad's Place - a 750 seat club that DT played a LOT in the early days - pays a royalty like that.   Else, every time some local band - who isn't doing that due diligence - takes the stage to "Who Let The Dogs Out" or breaks into "Smoke On The Water" at the end of their set would have to be chased down for royalties.

Radio stations keep logs.  Live venues don't, and there are internal mechanisms at BMI and ASCAP to deal with that.  But you're right about the flat rate for the blanket license.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1094 on: November 07, 2021, 09:28:01 AM »

Just doing a little Christmas shopping....  :laugh:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1095 on: November 07, 2021, 09:55:38 AM »

Just doing a little Christmas shopping....  :laugh:
Adorpion?  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: November 08, 2021, 05:21:39 AM »
A+ for the idea, C- for the execution.  Wrong letter.  :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1097 on: November 08, 2021, 05:55:02 AM »
That shirt is made for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: November 08, 2021, 06:03:23 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: November 08, 2021, 06:42:53 AM »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: November 09, 2021, 03:09:21 AM »

Clamomille tea? That's what tea bagging is?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1101 on: November 10, 2021, 07:51:05 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: November 10, 2021, 09:14:00 AM »
 :lol :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1103 on: November 11, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »

Probably my favorite shirt idea in recent memory.

Online T-ski

« Reply #1104 on: November 11, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »

:tup
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1105 on: November 11, 2021, 11:15:59 AM »

MORTAL TROGDOR!!!!

It's been a while since I even mentioned TROGDOR....  :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: November 11, 2021, 12:18:58 PM »
Oh wow I looked at that shirt for a good minute wondering what I was missing. I didn't even recognize it was Trogdor!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1107 on: November 11, 2021, 01:04:47 PM »
Oh wow I looked at that shirt for a good minute wondering what I was missing. I didn't even recognize it was Trogdor!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1108 on: November 11, 2021, 01:11:37 PM »

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online T-ski

« Reply #1109 on: November 11, 2021, 01:25:00 PM »

I doubt this will help, but this is the origin of Trogdor… https://youtu.be/TfrAf1a9Qhs
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1110 on: November 11, 2021, 02:35:44 PM »
So...someone combined a crappy dragon drawing from a YouTube video with a good dragon drawing....

Ok....

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1111 on: November 11, 2021, 04:29:19 PM »
More like…

Someone noticed that the dragon from an iconic silly video for its time and the dragon from the Mortal Kombat series’ logo looked somewhat similar and were in basically the same posture, so they decided to do a bit of a mashup.

Silly and stupid? Sure. But I thought it was clever, and it hearkened back to a time of internet fondness. That’s all. :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1112 on: November 11, 2021, 04:45:02 PM »
More like…

Someone noticed that the dragon from an iconic silly video for its time and the dragon from the Mortal Kombat series’ logo looked somewhat similar and were in basically the same posture, so they decided to do a bit of a mashup.

Silly and stupid? Sure. But I thought it was clever, and it hearkened back to a time of internet fondness. That’s all. :)

Maybe he should've employed some Chiaroscuro Shading... :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1113 on: November 11, 2021, 07:33:50 PM »

Back before youtube and memes and YTMND we had silly videos and series on the webs to keep us entertained. Strong Bad and several other characters were anticipated webisodes that made for a fun watch. Trogdor was one of the characters in the series.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:40:46 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1114 on: November 11, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »

Back before youtube and memes and YTMND we had silly videos and series on the webs to keep us entertained. Strong Bad and several other characters were anticipated webisodeswould and they make for a fun watch. Trogdor was one of the characters.

Not sure I understand a single word of this. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1115 on: November 11, 2021, 07:42:42 PM »
I think I had a stroke while writing that lol.

Here's the origin episode of Trogdor
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1116 on: November 11, 2021, 07:44:46 PM »
Even if you didn't have the stroke faizoff, Tim wouldn't understand.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1117 on: November 11, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »
Even if you didn't have the stroke faizoff, Tim wouldn't understand.   Lol
It's always a matter of time before Tim pops into a thread to say either "I don't get it" or "What is that?"

It's one of the unwritten rules of the DTF forum (aka Winger Theater Forum (or WTF))  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: November 11, 2021, 10:05:31 PM »
I remember in the early 2000s, I was in a bit of a weird place in my life, I was between jobs for a couple months, living alone, with an internet connection and laptop for the first time. I didn't get out much, kept odd hours, and was on this new-fangled (to me, anyway) internet way too often. No idea how I stumbled upon Homestar Runner. I thought th ee majority of the site was dumb. But damn if I didn't refresh my screen early Monday mornings to get the new Strong Bad email!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: November 12, 2021, 07:52:26 AM »
The only thing I liked in that sort of style was Burnt Face Man. But that got old really quickly as well.