Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 77396 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #1085 on: Today at 02:45:06 PM »
Gnocchi will have potato for texture and flavor, but it traditionally is a pasta type dough(egg, flour, water) with potato added. As Adami said, there are tons of varietals to it, as there is to pasta. Gnocchi is in no way a dumpling for the record.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1086 on: Today at 03:04:58 PM »
Gnocchi will have potato for texture and flavor, but it traditionally is a pasta type dough(egg, flour, water) with potato added. As Adami said, there are tons of varietals to it, as there is to pasta. Gnocchi is in no way a dumpling for the record.
How so? It's boiled dough? By definition it's a dumpling.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: Today at 03:44:55 PM »
I've seen it mostly described as a dumpling but never understood why. They usually feel more like balls of a potato dough than a pasta with filling.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1088 on: Today at 04:15:23 PM »
I've seen it mostly described as a dumpling but never understood why. They usually feel more like balls of a potato dough than a pasta with filling.
I think it's a misconception that dumplings must have a filling. See again, chicken and dumplings.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1089 on: Today at 04:16:50 PM »
I think it's a misconception that dumplings must have a filling. See again, chicken and dumplings.

For me, dumpling only brings to mind Asian ones. Never really heard anything called a dumpling outside of Asian ones
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1090 on: Today at 04:22:30 PM »
Historically, pasta had to be made with durum wheat, so gnocchi is definitely not pasta, though you can use it in the same culinary niche. I'd call it a type of dumpling, but since dumpling doesn't have a universal definition its not really a question which has a "correct" answer.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1091 on: Today at 04:24:15 PM »
Historically, pasta had to be made with durum wheat, so gnocchi is definitely not pasta, though you can use it in the same culinary niche. I'd call it a type of dumpling, but since dumpling doesn't have a universal definition its not really a question which has a "correct" answer.

So that would cause any pasta that was made exclusively with all purpose flour to not be pasta?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1092 on: Today at 04:27:17 PM »
In the UK, dumplings are basically just flavoured dough balls, and you shove a bunch of them on top of your stew to steam at the end of the cooking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beef_stew_with_dumplings_15297

So that would cause any pasta that was made exclusively with all purpose flour to not be pasta?

If you ask an Italian, probably. They are quite particular on the details when it comes to their cuisine.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

« Reply #1093 on: Today at 04:54:43 PM »
Would an Italian know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1094 on: Today at 05:06:17 PM »
No, they have actual food in Italy.

« Reply #1095 on: Today at 05:09:03 PM »
No, they have actual food in Italy.

So, mac and cheese is not pasta? I thought cramx4 was Italian!
Welcome to the Forums!