Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 193686 times)

Offline Bluefish

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #980 on: February 27, 2023, 01:11:10 PM »

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #981 on: February 27, 2023, 01:48:40 PM »
Amazing EP

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Glasser

« Reply #982 on: February 27, 2023, 02:12:08 PM »
Another classic!  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: February 27, 2023, 03:45:11 PM »
Journey- Raised on Radio

Whitesnake- Slide it In

Alice Cooper- Trash

Offline nick_z

« Reply #984 on: February 27, 2023, 05:53:21 PM »
On a (recent) Paramore kick, today:

Any fans here on DTF?  :) I've always liked their earlier stuff, but I have to say I've been enjoying the way they have growing their sound too.

I finally got to check out their last album, This Is Why...it's pretty good! It has a nice, warm feeling to it (musically, at least). Lots of interesting ideas in a concise package. I think I like the second half better (Liar is quite a beautiful song, with Hayley Williams channeling her inner, um, Tori Amos? Sounds that way to me...)

With that, I went back to the two albums preceding this...I hadn't spent a lot of time with After Laughter, for some reason, but it's another cool album. Quite different-sounding. As for the self-titled, that one I'm very, very fond of. I guess it wasn't super well-received by long-time fans at the time...? Plus there was a fair amount of band drama surrounding it, but I think it's kind of their magnum opus...not necessarily their best, but it's such a sprawling set of songs, covering a lot of ground...and not always following an obvious direction. Not everything works, but there are so many good tunes. Part II was one of my favorite songs that year, actually. It's SO good combined with its prequel Let the Flames Begin - Williams is truly fantastic.

Oh, and the drumming on here is excellent - Ilan Rubin was guesting and he does an amazing job...maybe I'm crazy, but I always thought I heard some Peart-isms on the song Daydreaming.

Anyway...it was a good revisit....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #985 on: February 27, 2023, 05:54:44 PM »
For someone who didn't have time for my roulette, you sure are listening to a lot of albums...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: February 27, 2023, 05:58:46 PM »
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Offline nick_z

« Reply #987 on: February 27, 2023, 06:10:02 PM »
For someone who didn't have time for my roulette, you sure are listening to a lot of albums...

Ha! Well, a lot of the listening happens either while I work, or during my train commute (the days I have to go into the office)...then sometimes I like to post random thoughts at the end of my day...

But yeah, it's been an especially busy few weeks, more or less starting when you guys all decided to start about 15 roulettes at the same time  :biggrin: As much as I would have loved to participate (to yours or Litho's, for example), I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up and send stuff on time (I tend to overthink which songs to send...maybe to Litho-level overthinking, but still  ;))

Hopefully next time around...in the meantime, even if it's outside of a proper roulette, you can just take advantage of all my essential recommendations...especially something like Paramore, which I'm sure would be right up your alley  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #988 on: February 27, 2023, 06:17:55 PM »
You've made some recs this week that have me interested. I don't listen to anything else during my roulettes other than the submissions, but I'll have to scroll back when it's completed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #989 on: February 27, 2023, 06:55:20 PM »
I wish I knew what the roulette is. I would have definitely done it. I've been here a year and a half and I'm still a freaking noob.  :blush

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #990 on: February 27, 2023, 09:44:47 PM »
I wish I knew what the roulette is. I would have definitely done it. I've been here a year and a half and I'm still a freaking noob.  :blush

You really ought to join one of the next ones that comes up when either TAC's or Tomislav95's finishes up in a month or two.  Depending upon who is ready, ariich, lonestar, or Crow will be hosting the next one, and you can get in on the ground floor.  I used to post here a lot in the 00s, left for over a decade, and didn't come back until a year and a half ago, so it took me quite awhile to orient myself as well to how things work around here.  The roulettes seemed overwhelming at first to make sense of, but they're really not that bad to get used to, and I've found them utterly addicting.  If you're interested, maybe read along with one of the current ones to get a sense of how they work.  And keep an eye on this thread in particular, it's stickied and gives an idea of when roulettes are coming up. 

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43449.0

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #991 on: February 28, 2023, 02:07:41 AM »

Sign me up when you host!

On a (recent) Paramore kick, today:

Any fans here on DTF?  :) I've always liked their earlier stuff, but I have to say I've been enjoying the way they have growing their sound too.

I finally got to check out their last album, This Is Why...it's pretty good! It has a nice, warm feeling to it (musically, at least). Lots of interesting ideas in a concise package. I think I like the second half better (Liar is quite a beautiful song, with Hayley Williams channeling her inner, um, Tori Amos? Sounds that way to me...)

With that, I went back to the two albums preceding this...I hadn't spent a lot of time with After Laughter, for some reason, but it's another cool album. Quite different-sounding. As for the self-titled, that one I'm very, very fond of. I guess it wasn't super well-received by long-time fans at the time...? Plus there was a fair amount of band drama surrounding it, but I think it's kind of their magnum opus...not necessarily their best, but it's such a sprawling set of songs, covering a lot of ground...and not always following an obvious direction. Not everything works, but there are so many good tunes. Part II was one of my favorite songs that year, actually. It's SO good combined with its prequel Let the Flames Begin - Williams is truly fantastic.

Oh, and the drumming on here is excellent - Ilan Rubin was guesting and he does an amazing job...maybe I'm crazy, but I always thought I heard some Peart-isms on the song Daydreaming.

Anyway...it was a good revisit....

I only really listen to their first two albums. When Riot! came out my girlfriend at the time loved it, so I listened tonight a lot. I can only describe the drumming on that album as fun. I still listen tonight fairly regularly.

I've only heard the odd single since then and nothing really interested me.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: February 28, 2023, 05:53:35 AM »
El Ten Eleven - Unusable Love

Offline nick_z

« Reply #993 on: February 28, 2023, 06:06:28 AM »

I only really listen to their first two albums. When Riot! came out my girlfriend at the time loved it, so I listened tonight a lot. I can only describe the drumming on that album as fun. I still listen tonight fairly regularly.

Yeah, the drumming is generally good and handled by original member Zac Farro...he had left for a bit when the s/t came out, and they had Ilan Rubin play as a guest on that one. I enjoy his drumming...he's currently a member of Nine Inch Nails live band, I believe.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: February 28, 2023, 09:54:25 AM »
Cheap Trick - In Color
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #995 on: February 28, 2023, 11:20:08 AM »
Inspired by some of the recent threads here in the General Music channel...

Blackfield - S/T
OSI - Blood
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd -The Division Bell

Offline Glasser

« Reply #996 on: February 28, 2023, 12:37:38 PM »

You really ought to join one of the next ones that comes up when either TAC's or Tomislav95's finishes up in a month or two.  Depending upon who is ready, ariich, lonestar, or Crow will be hosting the next one, and you can get in on the ground floor.  I used to post here a lot in the 00s, left for over a decade, and didn't come back until a year and a half ago, so it took me quite awhile to orient myself as well to how things work around here.  The roulettes seemed overwhelming at first to make sense of, but they're really not that bad to get used to, and I've found them utterly addicting.  If you're interested, maybe read along with one of the current ones to get a sense of how they work.  And keep an eye on this thread in particular, it's stickied and gives an idea of when roulettes are coming up. 

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43449.0

Thank you for the info Litho! Checking it out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #997 on: February 28, 2023, 01:28:22 PM »
Marshall Gilkes Quartet - Edenderry
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: February 28, 2023, 02:25:40 PM »
Blackfield - Blackfield II

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #999 on: February 28, 2023, 05:56:38 PM »

Can't say it has any of my favorite songs from them on it, but this is easily my favorite album of theirs. Just solid from front to back.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: February 28, 2023, 06:38:52 PM »
Blackfield - Blackfield V

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1001 on: February 28, 2023, 09:55:01 PM »
Phantom Elite - Blue Blood.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1002 on: March 01, 2023, 01:28:19 AM »

Sepultura’s worst album according to most people…

I don’t know if I’m just getting easier and easier to please with time, but I really like this.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: March 01, 2023, 06:00:03 AM »
Beck - Sea Change

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1004 on: March 01, 2023, 06:04:13 AM »

How are you listening to this?  I don't see it on the major streaming services, and the release date is not for several weeks.  Their last album was amazing, but I was underwhelmed with the new singles so far. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:58:12 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1005 on: March 01, 2023, 06:53:43 AM »
New Galneryus  :metal

I don't generally check out new power metal releases, but these guys are great.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1006 on: March 01, 2023, 08:02:11 AM »
Chatham Rabbits - If You See Me Riding By
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1007 on: March 01, 2023, 08:11:17 AM »
Megadeth - The System Has Failed

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1008 on: March 01, 2023, 08:48:01 AM »
Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors - Souvenir

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: March 01, 2023, 09:14:12 AM »
Dream Theater - Score

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: March 01, 2023, 10:01:14 AM »
Motley Crue- Shout at the Devil

Yes- 90125

Saxon- Rock the Nations

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1011 on: March 01, 2023, 10:05:57 AM »
Brad Mehldau - Progression: The Art of the Trio, Vol. 5

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1012 on: March 01, 2023, 01:05:32 PM »

How are you listening to this?  I don't see it on the major streaming services, and the release date is not for several weeks.  Their last album was amazing, but I was underwhelmed with the new singles so far.

It comes out in 2 weeks. A friend let me hear the stream a few times. Its good but doesn't hit like Titanium.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1013 on: March 01, 2023, 01:39:20 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1014 on: March 01, 2023, 01:52:18 PM »
OSI - Office of Strategic Influence