Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147926 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Revelation
« Reply #2135 on: December 15, 2020, 03:07:54 PM »
Damn Vinnie.  Glad he's okay now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2136 on: December 15, 2020, 03:19:13 PM »
I really wish UFO would surprise us with a quarantine album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2137 on: December 15, 2020, 04:56:50 PM »
I really wish they would just restock or make more of the Strangers Deluxe box. I am quickly losing hope that Amazon will come through. What's the point of pre-ordering and then not even fulfilling the order? It wasn't a surprise.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2138 on: December 15, 2020, 05:39:38 PM »
I really wish they would just restock or make more of the Strangers Deluxe box. I am quickly losing hope that Amazon will come through. What's the point of pre-ordering and then not even fulfilling the order? It wasn't a surprise.

My order status says Expected by 12/31. Doesn't mean anything I'm sure. At least it came with Auto Rip.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2139 on: December 15, 2020, 05:43:19 PM »
https://bravewords.com/news/ufo-guitar-legend-vinnie-moore-tests-positive-for-covid-19-i-have-become-a-world-champion-at-napping
About napping :D :D
A bit generic statement about music news... this could be UFO music?
Anyway, among the good things about this thread, now I appreciate a lot more Vinnie's solo work. I'll be happy if we have another solo album! :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: December 15, 2020, 06:07:35 PM »

Are you able to cancel and order from somewhere else?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2141 on: December 15, 2020, 06:55:25 PM »

A bit generic statement about music news... this could be UFO music?
Anyway, among the good things about this thread, now I appreciate a lot more Vinnie's solo work. I'll be happy if we have another solo album! :tup

Well, he just put out a solo album last year. I would so love for it to be UFO music.

I had mentioned The Gary Moore 5 CD Live At Montreaux box set. Amazon gave me multiple opportunities to cancel the order or see it through. It came with Auto Rip, so I had the music, but I still wanted the physical copy.
Ultimately, they let me know that they would be unable to fulfill the order. So I got a full refund......and a free Auto Rip! ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: December 15, 2020, 06:59:05 PM »
That's fucking gold Tim.  The only reason you'd need the pysical thing then is because you're a completist.  There is nothing in the package you are missing out on truthfully.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2143 on: December 15, 2020, 07:00:35 PM »
That's fucking gold Tim.  The only reason you'd need the pysical thing then is because you're a completist.  There is nothing in the package you are missing out on truthfully.

But I can't hold it and smell it and put it under my pillow at night. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: December 15, 2020, 07:01:32 PM »

But I can't hold it and smell it and put it under my pillow at night. :lol

Err....Yeah....That's true I guess.  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2145 on: December 15, 2020, 08:47:03 PM »

Nothing domestically has it in stock. Sellers on eBay are asking a fortune. Amazon UK had it for a while and now they look just like Amazon US, can't even order it. Nuclear Blast's German store has it, but after shipping it reaches ridiculous eBay prices.

I remember searching US online stores on release and they all had it out of stock and unavailable to even order. Seems the US got stiffed on this and it sold out like hotcakes overseas too.

I did take Tim's advice and downloaded the Auto-rip from Amazon just in case they cancel. I have the files already all set up and configured in my way as a fallback. Just haven't loaded them into my library as of yet. I continue to search for a decently priced hard copy in the meantime.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: December 15, 2020, 09:39:26 PM »
I was going to link the Aussie store where I got it from but they are out of stock now too.  :-\  shipping to you guys probably would have made it more expensive than what you could get it for anyway.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: December 15, 2020, 09:44:08 PM »
I’m curious what shipping would be from Australia to North America?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2148 on: December 15, 2020, 10:17:56 PM »
I found it on an Aussie site called Mighty Ape. They were showing $112 AU to the US, roughly $85 US. The $80-ish number is about what I am seeing from any foreign store that actually has it in stock.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2149 on: December 16, 2020, 04:24:48 AM »
I found it on an Aussie site called Mighty Ape. They were showing $112 AU to the US, roughly $85 US. The $80-ish number is about what I am seeing from any foreign store that actually has it in stock.

Not bad.

I paid $86 AUS.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2150 on: December 17, 2020, 06:36:33 PM »
So as we have officially run out of albums, I have a series of special posts to wind this thing down with...

And as always, any slowpokes....post your thoughts on anything you guys are listening to.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: December 17, 2020, 07:02:50 PM »
Starting to run through the Strangers box.  Working my way backwards and starting with the Louisville show.  The sound is fantastic and the band is on absolute fire.  Looking forward to working my way through these.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread In Memoriam: Ted McKenna
« Reply #2152 on: December 17, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »
In Memoriam

Ted McKenna

March 10, 1950 – January 19, 2019

Born in Scotland, Ted would make his mark drumming for The Sensational Alex Harvey Band from 1972-1978. Alex Harvey was an interesting cat to say the least. Musically, they were like a cross between Alice Cooper and Slade. Future MSG bassist Chris Glenn was also a member of TSAHB.

I've never actually done a deep dive on Alex Harvey but I did buy The Sensational Alex Harvey band Live when I was a kid due to the McKenna/Glenn MSG connection.

Here they are on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

Alex Harvey would pass away from heart failure the day before he would turn 47 in 1982.

Ted would leave Alex Harvey and join Rory Gallagher's band for 1978's Photo Finish, 1979's Top Priority, and the 1980 live album Stage Struck.

I actually had Top Priority on 8-track when I was a kid.

I literally never knew Ted McKenna was the drummer on it until I started researching this thread.

Ted would next play on Greg Lake's 1981 s/t. This album also features Gary Moore.

He would then join the Michael Schenker Group for the Assault Attack and Built To Destroy albums.

He would play on assorted projects after that and even took on a lecturing job at North Glasgow University.

He and Chris Glen would once again join Michael Schenker for the Michael Schenker Fest in 2016, playing on the Live Tokyo International Forum A live album, and recording both Resurrection and Revelation.

Sadly he passed away after hemorrhaging during a routine hernia surgery.

I am so very thankful I finally got to see him live with the Michael Schenkler Fest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2153 on: December 17, 2020, 07:07:02 PM »
Starting to run through the Strangers box.  Working my way backwards and starting with the Louisville show.  The sound is fantastic and the band is on absolute fire.  Looking forward to working my way through these.

After I Auto Ripped it, I spent two nights listening to it.It's a spectacular collection.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2154 on: December 17, 2020, 07:17:22 PM »
I didn't talk to him much but I hung on the sidewalk with him for a spell (I wrote about that) and he was very kind and seemed to be having a good time. Him and Chris Glen were joking like brothers.  My only words to him were "Great gig, Ted, you nailed it" or something equally stupid, and he just said "Thank you so much" or something equally polite. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2155 on: December 17, 2020, 07:35:00 PM »
I didn't talk to him much but I hung on the sidewalk with him for a spell (I wrote about that) and he was very kind and seemed to be having a good time. Him and Chris Glen were joking like brothers.  My only words to him were "Great gig, Ted, you nailed it" or something equally stupid, and he just said "Thank you so much" or something equally polite.

It's not the best concert pic I've ever taken but you can clearly see the chemistry between Chris Glen and Ted.

I know Martin Birch did an incredible job with the sound on Assault Attack, but Ted's drumming is solid AF.

And I'm not an expert on it, but The Sensational Alex Harvey Band was quite interesting. You guys should at least check out the Don Kirshner's clip.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: December 17, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »

Is anything better sounding/or worth listening more than the original Strangers?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2157 on: December 17, 2020, 07:47:04 PM »

Is anything better sounding/or worth listening more than the original Strangers?

Jason, this is a must buy. You get the 6 shows they recorded. Different setlists.

One thing that is clear is that the band was on point for these shows.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2158 on: December 17, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
How is this deluxe edition not more easily available? Is there only 15 UFO fans on planet earth?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2159 on: December 17, 2020, 08:03:56 PM »
How is this deluxe edition not more easily available? Is there only 15 UFO fans on planet earth?

This thread cleared them out! :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: December 17, 2020, 08:19:29 PM »
I want to know your tax return from everything you have earned from this thread

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2161 on: December 17, 2020, 08:38:54 PM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: December 17, 2020, 08:42:24 PM »
 :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2163 on: December 18, 2020, 04:14:02 AM »
Great post Tim.  A shame the way he passed away, so unfortunate.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: December 18, 2020, 04:16:15 AM »

How about another 6 versions of Strangers!?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: December 18, 2020, 06:12:34 AM »
Lol copy

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2166 on: December 18, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!

I just got a shipping notice from Amazon that my Strangers Deluxe box is on the way! $46 US! Will be here on Monday.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: December 18, 2020, 02:10:49 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!

I just got a shipping notice from Amazon that my Strangers Deluxe box is on the way! $46 US! Will be here on Monday.

:metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: December 18, 2020, 02:20:58 PM »
Finishing up the Louisville show and really enjoyed it.  On With the Action being an inclusion was an obvious highlight.  Love the extended solos before the verses and Schenker is freestyling nicely.  Looking forward to running through the rest of the shows, but that one was a highlight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: December 18, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »
Finishing up the Louisville show and really enjoyed it.  On With the Action being an inclusion was an obvious highlight.  Love the extended solos before the verses and Schenker is freestyling nicely.  Looking forward to running through the rest of the shows, but that one was a highlight.

On With the Action might be the best song I’ve heard out of the hundreds mentioned in this thread