Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143027 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread NP: A Conspiracy Of Stars
« Reply #2030 on: December 06, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »
I linked the video from youtube. It's definitely worth checking out!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2031 on: December 06, 2020, 07:10:01 PM »
Was this released on blu ray or DVD?

Both I think.

I looked, released on DVD. I was looking at the bonus features, which is a slide show and soundcheck. Would’ve been cool to have a bonus of a behind the scenes documentary on the former singers returning and the interactions

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2032 on: December 06, 2020, 07:11:57 PM »
I’ll be checking this out for sure. This is where my interest returns with the 80s singers all coming back  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2033 on: December 06, 2020, 07:14:18 PM »
Would’ve been cool to have a bonus of a behind the scenes documentary on the former singers returning and the interactions

That would be. I'll mention it later as we're going chronologically, but when I saw them, the vibe on stage between everyone was amazing.

And in this video, everyone is all smiles. Seems like they all got on very well, which is cool.

I’ll be checking this out for sure. This is where my interest returns with the 80s singers all coming back  :metal

Jason the two albums that preceeded this, Bridge The Gap and Spirit On A Mission are incredible. Be sure to take the time to check them out at some point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2034 on: December 06, 2020, 07:26:53 PM »

Fuck dude, the 2 Doogie albums is where it's at.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: December 06, 2020, 08:46:54 PM »

I mentioned how kick ass Bridge the Gap was and how it was my clear favorite post 80s MSG/UFO album. Really good stuff. But the 80s MSG would have my main interest and the staying power for me.

This live show is awesome  :metal. The guys look like they are having a blast and are playing great. Looks like a pretty large venue too. I can’t see MSG ever playing something that size in North America right?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2036 on: December 06, 2020, 08:50:55 PM »
How did “Anytime” not make the setlist?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2037 on: December 06, 2020, 09:09:46 PM »
This live show is awesome  :metal.

:metal

How did “Anytime” not make the setlist?

Good question. When I saw the Michael Schenker Fest in 2018, the McAuley songs were:
Bad Boys
Save Yourself
Anytime
Heart And Soul (from Resurrection)
Love Is Not A Game

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2038 on: December 06, 2020, 09:53:49 PM »

I mentioned how kick ass Bridge the Gap was and how it was my clear favorite post 80s MSG/UFO album. Really good stuff. But the 80s MSG would have my main interest and the staying power for me.

This live show is awesome  :metal. The guys look like they are having a blast and are playing great. Looks like a pretty large venue too. I can’t see MSG ever playing something that size in North America right?

Yes, I remember that now mate.  My apologies.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: December 07, 2020, 12:47:32 AM »
Kade, I’m assuming those two have already been ordered from Amazon lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: December 07, 2020, 06:04:33 AM »
Kade, I’m assuming those two have already been ordered from Amazon lol

You mean Bridge and Spirit?  I managed to pick both up in-store about a month ago.  Hadn't heard a note from each but Doogie being on both made them both a purchase.  Two of the best blind purchases I've ever made

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2041 on: December 07, 2020, 06:06:54 AM »
Thank you! (ka-ching!) :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2042 on: December 07, 2020, 06:13:03 AM »
I watched most of that MSF DVD on YouTube a week or so ago.  It was enjoyable but IMO just didn't stack up against the Temple of Rock show.  Doogie front Schenkers band is just too good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2043 on: December 07, 2020, 06:20:38 PM »
@ Stadler, you might like this. Gary Barden actually sounds pretty decent, and even his stage presence isn't bad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread NP: The Salentino Cuts
« Reply #2044 on: December 07, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »
The Salentino Cuts

The Salentino Cuts (2017)

Released September 29, 2017

1. Heart Full Of Soul (The Yardbirds)
2. Break On Through (To The Other Side) (The Doors)
3. River Of Deceit (Mad Season)
4. The Pusher (Steppenwolf)
5. Paper In Fire (John Mellencamp)
6. Rock Candy (Montrose)
7. Mississippi Queen (Mountain)
8. Ain't No Sunshine (Bill Withers)
9. Honey-Bee (Tom Petty)
10. Too Rolling Stoned (Robin Trower)
11. Just Got Paid (ZZ Top)
12. It's My Life (The Animals)

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Vinnie Moore-Guitar
Rob De Luca-Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/Guitar

What was stated as the final UFO album unfortunately is a Covers Album. Conflicted does not really begin to describe how I felt about that. I'm all over anything UFO, so I bought it on release. One thing the Vinnie Era has taught me is that these albums need to breath and age. The Salentino Cuts is no different.

Vinnie talks about doing the covers album in this interview. Interesting comments..
https://youtu.be/npV8Ywv40Hk?t=931

As usual with most cover albums, it comes down to the songs. I don't care to hear UFO on this run through Break On Through. I mean, there's not a more adventurous Doors track? Same with Mississippi Queen. I know Mountain has way more interesting songs. I'd much rather hear something like Silver Paper.

There are a few nice surprises though. They do a nice run through or Heartful Of Soul. Mad Season's River Of Deceit is a really interesting choice. While it's an iconic moment for Layne Staley, Phil singing this as a nearly 70 y/o man gives this a different but just as convincing spin.

Thankfully they did not cover Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride or Born To Be Wild, and opted for The Pusher instead. This is a great song that could've easily fit right in on The Visitor or Seven Deadly.

John Mellencamp's Paper In Fire is another interesting choice. They rip through this and it's easily my favorite song on the album. Other highlights include Too Rolling Stoned and Just Got Paid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread NP: The Salentino Cuts
« Reply #2045 on: December 07, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »
Never listened to this.  The only song I'm remotely interested in hearing is the Mellancamp song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2046 on: December 07, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
Never listened to this.  The only song I'm remotely interested in hearing is the Mellancamp song.

Yeah, I totally understand. Paper In Fire is my go to track on this. I'd give The Pusher a listen. Even though it's an old Steppenwolf song, it could've easily come off of either of the last 2 or 3 Vinnie Era albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: December 07, 2020, 08:41:27 PM »

Yeah, I totally understand. Paper In Fire is my go to track on this. I'd give The Pusher a listen. Even though it's an old Steppenwolf song, it could've easily come off of either of the last 2 or 3 Vinnie Era albums.

I'll see if I can give it a spin.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2048 on: December 07, 2020, 11:45:45 PM »
Aah, I’m falling behind again.

I listened to Spirit on A Mission today while I was working. Hadn’t heard this album before. There’s some really cool stuff on it, including the bee hive in a mosh pit song. I liked that! I was listening on YouTube and the last song Yin and Yang isn’t listed in your op as part of the track list. Is this a bonus song or did YouTube somehow just throw it on there? Anyway, it was a nice song, but would've been much nicer if Schenker himself wasn’t singing on it  :lol. His singing style is reminiscent of German bands from the 70s, like Kraftwerk.

I also listened to a couple of songs from A Conspiracy of Stars and they were decent. Will listen to more of that album tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2049 on: December 08, 2020, 12:23:23 AM »
Aah, I’m falling behind again.

I listened to Spirit on A Mission today while I was working. Hadn’t heard this album before. There’s some really cool stuff on it, including the bee hive in a mosh pit song. I liked that! I was listening on YouTube and the last song Yin and Yang isn’t listed in your op as part of the track list. Is this a bonus song or did YouTube somehow just throw it on there? Anyway, it was a nice song, but would've been much nicer if Schenker himself wasn’t singing on it  :lol. His singing style is reminiscent of German bands from the 70s, like Kraftwerk.

I also listened to a couple of songs from A Conspiracy of Stars and they were decent. Will listen to more of that album tomorrow.

Yin and Yang is a bonus track.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2050 on: December 08, 2020, 06:52:51 AM »
No issues about falling behind.

My plan is to let this sit for the rest of the week.  Give everyone a chance to catch up a bit.

We have two more Schenker albums to cover. I'll post one at the end of this week, and the other at the beginning of next week.

I'll then be posting a series of special posts that I'll leave as a surprise. Don't get too excited. ;D I did send Wolfking a sneak peak and got the thumbs up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2051 on: December 08, 2020, 09:05:21 AM »
@ Stadler, you might like this. Gary Barden actually sounds pretty decent, and even his stage presence isn't bad.

So I'm falling into the trap!  Forget Rakutan, we should have TACutan!  I just bought the newest Schenker-fest disk (it was like $4 from Nuclear Blast) and I have both Spirt and Bridge on order from Discogs.   I'm looking at both live sets from that "era" and now I have the Tokyo show to look into.  I saw the live show (I forget who asked, but I saw him at Irving Plaza, which is the same place I saw Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress; I think it's about 1,500 people) and it seemed they were having a BLAST.   I got to meet Gary, Chris Glen and Ted McKenna out on the sidewalk (and waved at Dougie, who seemed... occupied), and even had a decent conversation with Gary. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2052 on: December 08, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »
Don't know what Rakutan is  :lol

The Schenker Fest show live was so great. Gary really seemed happy to be there. But we'll probably cover the Schenker Fest a bit more in a few days. I also have a bunch of pics from the show.

The two live Temple Of Rock albums are great, as is the MS Fest Tokyo one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: December 08, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
Rakutan basically gives you cash back for purchases.  It's wierd, but TACutan would give you a slice of all these purchases your thread has triggered.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2054 on: December 08, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
OH, my 15%!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: December 08, 2020, 01:02:03 PM »
No issues about falling behind.

My plan is to let this sit for the rest of the week.  Give everyone a chance to catch up a bit.

We have two more Schenker albums to cover. I'll post one at the end of this week, and the other at the beginning of next week.

I'll then be posting a series of special posts that I'll leave as a surprise. Don't get too excited. ;D I did send Wolfking a sneak peak and got the thumbs up.

:tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: December 08, 2020, 05:29:59 PM »
My haul for this thread is adding up too now.  I ordered the Schenker Fest 2CD/DVD, Sharks and the Unforgiven live album from Amazon as they were all dirt cheap.  I can't stop!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: December 08, 2020, 09:25:57 PM »
My haul for this thread is adding up too now.  I ordered the Schenker Fest 2CD/DVD, Sharks and the Unforgiven live album from Amazon as they were all dirt cheap.  I can't stop!

:lol :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2058 on: December 09, 2020, 04:25:53 AM »

:lol :metal

I need serious help!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: December 09, 2020, 04:43:04 AM »
Hello my name is Kade and I’m an Amazon CD buying addict.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2060 on: December 09, 2020, 08:59:00 AM »
 :metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2061 on: December 09, 2020, 09:33:48 AM »
I gave Salentino Cuts a go on release. Yeah, an album I have absolutely no need of.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2062 on: December 09, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
I went right to "Rock Candy" and I was less than impressed.  I now LOVE Phil Mogg, but that song doesn't suit him.

There are some good choices in there, though, that I probably should check out at some point:

Heart Full Of Soul (The Yardbirds)

River Of Deceit (Mad Season)

Paper In Fire (John Mellencamp)

Just Got Paid (ZZ Top)

JGP is a classic, quintessential bar tune and Mogg is perhaps the pinnacle of great "bar tune" singers.    And I'm always amazed at how much traction the Yardbirds have/had in music.  I was just listening to Rainbow in Germany in '76 as well as the Doogie White show in '95, and Blackmore TEARS UP "Still I'm Sad".  Rush, Aerosmith... all covered the Yardbirds at some point.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2063 on: December 10, 2020, 07:48:37 AM »
Ugh, would love to listen to Bridge and Spirit but I made a big mistake with who I bought them from. Seller took just over 7 days before shipping. Then to add insult to injury, they used DHL. Their super power is being 10x slower than the USPS has become. What's worse, is DHL will hand this off to the USPS. I'm calling 2 weeks before I see these.

I have recently made 2 orders from a seller on Discogs that is in Taiwan. In both cases I got my orders in 7 days. Anything sent domestically via DHL is usually a firm 2 weeks.

Did I say ugh?  >:(

8 days in and my prediction is tracking. 3 days ago, DHL says they handed it off to the USPS. USPS still says they are waiting for it. With the weekend approaching, no way I am getting this until sometime next week.

2 weeks to ship something form North Carolina to Illinois. Unbelievable.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2064 on: December 10, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
Wow, that's ridiculous.

I went right to "Rock Candy" and I was less than impressed.  I now LOVE Phil Mogg, but that song doesn't suit him.

There are some good choices in there, though, that I probably should check out at some point:

Heart Full Of Soul (The Yardbirds)

River Of Deceit (Mad Season)

Paper In Fire (John Mellencamp)

Just Got Paid (ZZ Top)

Yeah, those are the better songs on the album, but I'd definitely check out The Pusher.

The video I linked with Vinnie mentions that they got to the studio with like 6 songs worked up. So I think some of the choices were definitely rushed.