Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142964 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread NP: The Salentino Cuts
« Reply #2100 on: December 11, 2020, 08:50:04 PM »
Bugger.  Will check it out later.

Don't bother.

Michael Voss really needs to stay behind the scenes, where he does a great job. This is simply awful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2101 on: December 11, 2020, 11:49:26 PM »
I was a bit distracted, but I got a first listen in on Bridge The Gap. This is a hard-charging record. Like I said, I was distracted so I don't have much more to say at the moment. I can tell it's awesome, just need to focus on it some more. I will say, I hate Dokken, but Don did not bother me on the bonus track. It was actually a pretty nice song.

I try to squeeze another listen in tomorrow (I guess today since it's almost 1am) and also try to get to Spirit this weekend as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2102 on: December 12, 2020, 12:26:03 AM »
I’ll have to give Resurrection a re-listen this weekend. I do own this on CD. I recall Warrior has a catchy chorus - can hear it in my head.

Absolutely loved  the SchenkerFest live show  :metal. Great photos, TAC.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2103 on: December 12, 2020, 03:14:43 AM »
Don’t mind the song butting needs a better singer. Voss is just lost. Needs some oomph in the vocal. Some character.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2104 on: December 12, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »
I was a bit distracted, but I got a first listen in on Bridge The Gap. This is a hard-charging record. Like I said, I was distracted so I don't have much more to say at the moment. I can tell it's awesome, just need to focus on it some more. I will say, I hate Dokken, but Don did not bother me on the bonus track. It was actually a pretty nice song.

It's probably because I was so familiar with Faith as an instrumental, that putting Dokken's voice on top of it just for the sake of is pretty weak.

Hard charging! :metal 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2105 on: December 12, 2020, 07:16:31 AM »
Just out of curiosity, those MSFest albums I like much more hearing the mp3s grouped this way and in this order: Doogie songs, McAuley songs, Bonnet songs, Barden songs, instrumental song and all vocalists songs (working like a encore or bonus tracks). I think both albums begin very strong and flow better this way.

Funny you mention that. I haven't reordered both albums, but here's a couple shots of my iPod. I made a DoogEP. Get it? Doogie plus EP...err..nevermind. ;D

Cool, add Before the Devil Knows You're Dead to it and make it a DoogSchenkerAlbum!

The new song could be a nice ballad, very old school Scorpions, but the vocals really ruined it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2106 on: December 12, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »
Here's a video from the Michael Schenker Fest show I saw in Boston.

Rock Bottom

Although I saw him play Rock Bottom in 1987, I was half an arena away.
Seeing Michael play Rock Bottom about 15 feet away was a dream come true.

And this was the setlist:

01. Into the Arena
02. Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Gary Barden on vocals)
03. Cry for the Nations (Gary Barden on vocals)
04. Attack of the Mad Axeman (Gary Barden on vocals)
05. Messin' Around (Gary Barden on vocals)
06. Armed and Ready (Gary Barden on vocals)
07. Coast to Coast
08. Desert Song (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
09. Dancer (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
10. Night Moods (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
11. Searching for a Reason (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
12. Assault Attack (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
13. Captain Nemo
14. Bad Boys (Robin McAuley on vocals)
15. Save Yourself (Robin McAuley on vocals)
16. Anytime (Robin McAuley on vocals)
17. Heart and Soul (Robin McAuley on vocals)
18. Love Is Not a Game (Robin McAuley on vocals)
19. Searching for Freedom
20. Live and Let Live (Doogie White on vocals)
21. Vigilante Man (Doogie White on vocals)
22. Lord of the Lost and Lonely (Doogie White on vocals)
23. Take Me to the Church (Doogie White on vocals)
24. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Doogie White on vocals)
25. Warrior (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
26. Rock Bottom (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
27. Doctor Doctor (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
28. Shoot Shoot (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
29. Natural Thing (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
30. Lights Out (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)

30 songs!!!!!! :metal
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:36:50 PM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2107 on: December 12, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2108 on: December 12, 2020, 10:33:36 PM »
Wow. I am halfway through Spirit On A Mission and this thing is absolutely kicking my butt. This is a stellar record. Saviour Machine really stuck out. That bees in a mosh pit tone in Something reminded me a lot of John 5. Sounds like one of his go-to tones.

I'll go back to Bridge, but right now my guess is Spirit will be the winner of the two for me.

EDIT: All done with Spirit. Phenomenal album. My copy also has Searching For Freedom and that was quite nice. Never a fan of fade-outs but, otherwise, cool instrumental. This is a top album of the party for me. Might be my favorite Schenker record right now. I'll give Bridge another listen maybe tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:18:31 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2109 on: December 13, 2020, 03:25:52 AM »
Just started a listen to Resurrection.  Heart and Soul blisters.  The track sounds like Yngwie again and Robin sounds like Mats Leven.  Good stuff.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: December 13, 2020, 03:27:57 AM »
Wow. I am halfway through Spirit On A Mission and this thing is absolutely kicking my butt. This is a stellar record. Saviour Machine really stuck out. That bees in a mosh pit tone in Something reminded me a lot of John 5. Sounds like one of his go-to tones.

I'll go back to Bridge, but right now my guess is Spirit will be the winner of the two for me.

EDIT: All done with Spirit. Phenomenal album. My copy also has Searching For Freedom and that was quite nice. Never a fan of fade-outs but, otherwise, cool instrumental. This is a top album of the party for me. Might be my favorite Schenker record right now. I'll give Bridge another listen maybe tomorrow.

:metal  Yeah, Spirit is a wonderful follow up to Bridge.  It's a class record from start to finish.  That's epic you got Searching for Freedom too mate!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: December 13, 2020, 03:29:57 AM »
Here's a video from the Michael Schenker Fest show I saw in Boston.

Rock Bottom

Although I saw him play Rock Bottom in 1987, I was half an arena away.
Seeing Michael play Rock Bottom about 15 feet away was a dream come true.

And this was the setlist:

01. Into the Arena
02. Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Gary Barden on vocals)
03. Cry for the Nations (Gary Barden on vocals)
04. Attack of the Mad Axeman (Gary Barden on vocals)
05. Messin' Around (Gary Barden on vocals)
06. Armed and Ready (Gary Barden on vocals)
07. Coast to Coast
08. Desert Song (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
09. Dancer (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
10. Night Moods (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
11. Searching for a Reason (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
12. Assault Attack (Graham Bonnet on vocals)
13. Captain Nemo
14. Bad Boys (Robin McAuley on vocals)
15. Save Yourself (Robin McAuley on vocals)
16. Anytime (Robin McAuley on vocals)
17. Heart and Soul (Robin McAuley on vocals)
18. Love Is Not a Game (Robin McAuley on vocals)
19. Searching for Freedom
20. Live and Let Live (Doogie White on vocals)
21. Vigilante Man (Doogie White on vocals)
22. Lord of the Lost and Lonely (Doogie White on vocals)
23. Take Me to the Church (Doogie White on vocals)
24. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Doogie White on vocals)
25. Warrior (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
26. Rock Bottom (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
27. Doctor Doctor (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
28. Shoot Shoot (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
29. Natural Thing (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)
30. Lights Out (Barden, Bonnet, McAuley, and White on vocals)

30 songs!!!!!! :metal

That's some setlist Tim.  Needs more Bridge the Gap.  Only one song, bah!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: December 13, 2020, 03:31:31 AM »
Warrior continues that nice Temple of Rock style of heavy riffing going.  Temple of the Holy or Live for the King comes to mind.  Love the structure with the verse chorus, verse chorus and solo to end.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2113 on: December 13, 2020, 03:40:53 AM »
Take Me To the Church is a top song.  Firstly, it's Doogie and secondly, the riff is catchy as hell.

Night Moves is also a great old school Schenker track.  Perfectly written for Graham.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: December 13, 2020, 03:53:04 AM »
Girl with Stars in Her Eyes was pretty decent.  Not sure on Everest on first listen. 

I actually really enjoyed Messin' Around, even with Barden haha.  Love the groove.  I get a strong ACDC vibe, but I'll accept it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2115 on: December 13, 2020, 04:12:23 AM »
When it's Time was a bit cheesy, but I actually like that power metal style chorus.  Get some Helloween vibes.

Anchors makes me laugh with the intro riff but this is a wonderful song.  Love the Maiden chorus.  Also reminds me a lot of Where the Wild Wind Blows.  Love the atmosphere in the solo, again Bridge the Gap vibes!

Salvation is very fun.  Definite Ulcer vibes going on but nice and melodic.

Life Worth Livin' was alright and to be honest, wasn't that blown away with the Last Supper. 

Overall though a very very nice album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2116 on: December 13, 2020, 04:12:34 AM »
Alright guys, I'm going to make a couple of you very jealous right now.  I actually feel a bit bad because since I've fell in love with this band and Schenker thanks to Tim and this thread, I don't deserve to have my hands on this before you lot.  Anyway, of course I'm talking about the Strangers box.  I've done a few unboxing pics to show you what it looks like.  It's pretty standard, but very solid.  I had zero expectations for this and wasn't going to go out of my way to get it, but I get a lot of stuff from Australias best metal store Utopia in Sydney and shipping only takes 2 days so I've been using them a bit lately.  I saw last week they had this in stock so I nabbed it.  It cost $87 bucks, so I dunno how that compares, but not to sound arrogant, that was a non issue.  Haven't listened to anything yet.

So there is a nice booklet which comes in its own slipcase which is very very nice.  Nice and glossy and has a lot of old cool pics that look like single pics or maybe just promo pics from the album at the time.  There's linear notes from a guy named Michael Hann also.  The main album comes in it's own double slipcase with the original artwork. Every live show cd also comes in a cardboard slipcase but then comes in an additional slipcase which is excellent.  No excuse for anything to get damage here.  It's pretty simple, but as I said, I had no real expectations.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: December 13, 2020, 04:45:38 AM »
New track

After The Rain

This song blows! Schenker sounds great of course, but when he said Michael Voss was singing some songs, that made me cringe. With good reason.

Shenker is a god though because somehow he was able to get Sam Kinison to play drums.

This would have been somewhat acceptable with strong vocalist.  Even Ralf would have made this 1000 times better.  I can hear him on this.

Voss forgot to take the peg off his nose when he recorded this.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2118 on: December 13, 2020, 06:18:11 AM »
 :metal strangers box set

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2119 on: December 13, 2020, 02:40:59 PM »

That's awesome, man! No matter how you slice it, Bridge The Gap and Spirit On A Mission are two of the best albums in his solo catalog.
Not since the early 80's has he made an album as strong as these.

Just started a listen to Resurrection.  Heart and Soul blisters.  The track sounds like Yngwie again and Robin sounds like Mats Leven.  Good stuff.  :metal

Anchors makes me laugh with the intro riff but this is a wonderful song.  Love the Maiden chorus.  Also reminds me a lot of Where the Wild Wind Blows.  Love the atmosphere in the solo, again Bridge the Gap vibes!

Overall though a very very nice album.

Maiden chorus? Yeah, I'll buy that!

Yes it is a very nice album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2120 on: December 13, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »
Alright guys, I'm going to make a couple of you very jealous right now.  I actually feel a bit bad because since I've fell in love with this band and Schenker thanks to Tim and this thread, I don't deserve to have my hands on this before you lot.  Anyway, of course I'm talking about the Strangers box.  I've done a few unboxing pics to show you what it looks like.  It's pretty standard, but very solid.  I had zero expectations for this and wasn't going to go out of my way to get it, but I get a lot of stuff from Australias best metal store Utopia in Sydney and shipping only takes 2 days so I've been using them a bit lately.  I saw last week they had this in stock so I nabbed it.  It cost $87 bucks, so I dunno how that compares, but not to sound arrogant, that was a non issue.  Haven't listened to anything yet.

So there is a nice booklet which comes in its own slipcase which is very very nice.  Nice and glossy and has a lot of old cool pics that look like single pics or maybe just promo pics from the album at the time.  There's linear notes from a guy named Michael Hann also.  The main album comes in it's own double slipcase with the original artwork. Every live show cd also comes in a cardboard slipcase but then comes in an additional slipcase which is excellent.  No excuse for anything to get damage here.  It's pretty simple, but as I said, I had no real expectations.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2121 on: December 13, 2020, 03:44:20 PM »
I’ve been considering this for Xmas.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2122 on: December 13, 2020, 07:39:08 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2123 on: December 14, 2020, 07:40:29 AM »
Why are you posting a Christmas card from Chichi Schemp? 

(I'm kiddding; that is very very cool!)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Revelation
« Reply #2126 on: December 14, 2020, 05:13:52 PM »
Revelation

https://open.spotify.com/album/4GZM9qezqhfF6HbRGnU82y?si=aGEaobkXQaqf5DH2Kv3HGA

Released September 20, 2019

1. Rock Steady (All)
2. Under A Blood Red Sky (White)
3. Silent Again (McAuley)
4. Sleeping With The Light On (All)
5. The Beast In The Shadows (Bonnet)
6. Behind The Smile (White)
7. Crazy Daze (Barden)
8. Lead You Astray (McAuley)
9. We Are The Voice (Romero)
10. Headed For The Sun (Barden)
11. Old Man (All)
12. Still In The Fight (Bonnet)
13. Ascension

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Doogie White-Vocals
Gary Barden-Vocals
Graham Bonnet-Vocals
Robin McAuley-Vocals
Chris Glen-Bass
Steve Mann-Keyboards
Simon Phillips & Bodo Schopf-Drums
Ronnie Romero-Vocals on Track 9

Recorded between tour legs, Michaels returns the follow up to Ressurection pretty quickly.

The songs featuring all of the singers are corny here, especially the cringeworthy Rock Steady. But Robin McAuley's chorus at least helps Sleeping With The Light On.

Personally I think the two Doogie songs are the strongest here. Is it me or does Doogie sound like Tobias Sammet in the prechorus of Behind The Eyes? Robin's Silent Again is really nice too, but holy shit does he sound like Marc Storace in the verse.

I think Heading For The Sun is the best Barden song between the two albums. Bonnet's Still In The Fight's riff reminds me of 1:49 of Fool's Gold off of Covenant. This is a cool song though and probably my favorite Bonnet song as well between the two albums as well..

With Ted McKenna having passed away earlier in the year, the drums were handled by Simon Phillips, with former McAuley/Schenker drummer Bodo Schropf playing on thee tracks (1,3, & 13).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 05:54:37 PM by TAC »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2127 on: December 14, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »
I think the Doogie and MacAuley songs all are excellent.
The Bonnet songs, Ascension, Sleeping in the Light On and Old Man are good.
The Barden songs are kinda average/forgettable, with cool solos.
The Romero song has, like Time Knows… from Resurrection, that very commercial McAuley Schenker vibe and also don’t like it.
I agree that Rock Steady is really weak.
Overall, I think the best songs on Resurrection are better than the best on Revelation and the same can be said about the worst songs on both albums. Resurrection is better, but Revelation is still a worthy and good album IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2128 on: December 14, 2020, 06:14:56 PM »
Resurrection is better, but Revelation is still a worthy and good album IMO.

I definitely agree.

And even though it'll be released under the MSG name, Immortal sounds so far like it'll follow suit. So far we've heard one great song, and one not so great song.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2129 on: December 14, 2020, 06:39:03 PM »
I have been loving this thread ,,,

TAC knows I love my UFO  ,... you all have been really great to read and enjoy
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2130 on: December 14, 2020, 06:48:29 PM »
I have been loving this thread ,,,

TAC knows I love my UFO  ,... you all have been really great to read and enjoy

You wait until the last album of the thread to post! :P :P

Glad you've enjoyed the thread. I have some special posts coming up over the next week.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2131 on: December 14, 2020, 08:34:00 PM »
Tonight I enjoyed this Conspiracy Of Stars show from Montreal in 2017..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh5pUH799VY

Vinnie's solo on Love To love  :hefdaddy
Same for Rock Bottom.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2132 on: December 15, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
Joe Lynn Turner, Graham Bonnet, Doogie White, Ronnie Romero...   it's like Michael, Ritchie and Yngwie have a stable of singers and they just rotate them.   :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2133 on: December 15, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »
Joe Lynn Turner, Graham Bonnet, Doogie White, Ronnie Romero...   it's like Michael, Ritchie and Yngwie have a stable of singers and they just rotate them.   :)

I’m sure it’s not a coincidence.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns