Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147931 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ain’t Misbehaving...I really like Between a Rock and a Hard Place a lot and At War with the World/Hunger in the Night/Easy Money, although nothing really special, is a good run of songs. The production is very raw, with a live feel to it, but at least you can hear very well the instruments and vocals (by the way, some backing vocals I think are a bit annoying). The best here is not better than the best in Misdemeanor, but I think it’s an enjoyable EP. Maybe it’s just because that I had invested more time listening to this album than the Mcauley Schenker albums, I like it more (but...I'm suspecting that Save Yourself can be a really good album for what I’ve heard so far. I’ll hear it with more attention, no doubt).

Well if you don't have time, I've taken the liberty to post the links to the 5 best tracks of the three albums. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Yes, TAC, I've heard them. You made a great selection, thanks!
About McAuley, I strongly recommend the Black Swan album (with Reb Beach, Jeff Pilson and Matt Starr), Shake the World. I think it's a great album and he's singing incredibly well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNGOVHOHbGw&list=PL1k4D8QfUBtX47JNDj-X-ukBjzfFVCEK9&index=3
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes, I have the Black Swan album. Robin sounds AMAZING on it. The album itself is pretty solid.

Long Road To Nowhere  :metal
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:21:47 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Probably won't be able to check these MSG albums and AM until Monday, but I will make sure I check them all fully.

The only thing I've heard from McAuley is that Black Swan album is excellent and I was really impressed with his voice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

I’d never heard Ain’t Misbehavin prior to a few days ago. I enjoyed it. A natural follow up to Misdemeanor. Better produced I think- I certainly didn’t notice anything off with it the other day.

Atomik Tommy was great.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Atomik Tommy.  Too funny!  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So I've decided that Making Contact and Obsession are my top 2 UFO albums so far.  I really would have no idea what makes number 3.

Listened to Obsession again this morning.  This album is brilliant, just brilliant.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I've decided that Making Contact and Obsession are my top 2 UFO albums so far.  I really would have no idea what makes number 3.

Listened to Obsession again this morning.  This album is brilliant, just brilliant.

:metal :metal

Probably won't be able to check these MSG albums and AM until Monday, but I will make sure I check them all fully.

The only thing I've heard from McAuley is that Black Swan album is excellent and I was really impressed with his voice.

Cool. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. You might like these MSG albums.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm about a week behind, but trying to catch (and keep) up.

Michael Schenker Group
Man the production is thin. Vocally, this is tantamount to the drop in quality in going from Bruce to Blaze - I’m just not finding much to love in Barden.  A&D was a decent opener. The solo in Cry for the Nations just absolutely rips, and saves the song. Opening riff in Victim of Illusion is nice.  Bijou was really nice ... gave me a Triumph/Emmett vibe, as they did quite a few of these kinds of interlude songs. Feels Like A Good <Aerosmith> Thing about sums it up. I dug it.   Arena was excellent!  Tales of Mystery was doubly excellent!!  Lost Horizons was a plodder, saved by the outro.

Re Barden, Kade wrote it best .... “I'm not the biggest fan of Gary Barden's voice.  He's an adequate vocalist, but for me, there' just nothing really special about his job.  He's your 'meat and potatoes' hard rock singer.  Gets the job done and fine to listen to, but there's no trimmings or fancy extras. “

Willing/Willing ... There wasn't a lot of discussion here - I was finished the posts before I hit Its Killing Me. Really good tune, but the first three tracks were superior, Chains being a pretty good opener, but the next two were crackers. Makin Moves was nice, that intro to Lonely Heart was gorgeous. Rest of the song couldn’t match the beauty of the opening, but it was still pretty good.

MSG ... first listen I was multitasking, and didn’t really take much of it in. 2nd try, it’s pretty enjoyable. Standouts are On and On, But I Want More (damn, dat riff and guitar work :hefdaddy). Holy fuck ... Looking For Love :OMG!! Outro of Sleeping Dogs was sweet (which I typed before you posting it as well!).  I completely agree with your statement on Barden. He’s much easier on the ears here than the debut. Overall though, for me it’s mostly just standard B-List 70s/80s hard rock... I could spin Bad Company, Aerosmith, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Y&T, Zebra, and the like, and come away equally satisfied.

Mechanix
I liked the sax lines in The Writer, and there was something very enjoyable about the minimalistic and uneventful nature of the lead riff.  Something Else cover was cute enough - sticks out like a sore thumb, but it was nice. “the Bruce Springsteen of British hard rock.” Is an apt way to describe Back Into My Life. You’ll Get Love was ok, but I much more enjoyed Doing it All For You. What an open to the backside of the album! :metal. I’ll tell ya, I think this is Parker’s finest moment so far on the skins. I was really looking forward to Heel of a Stranger based on Stadler's writeup, but was slightly underwhelmed.  Not a bad tune, but I guess I had big expectations.

Assault Attack
I wasn't terribly enamoured with Bonnet on the opening track.  Musically, Rock You To the Ground was a plodder, but my ears enjoyed Bonnet quite a bit more - as is often the case, the outro was fantastic, and saved the track from mediocrity. With Dancer, Bonnet is reminding me of another 80s era vocalist... whom I can't quite put my finger on - it's the raspiness in his voice (Edit... I think I figured it out - Dan McCafferty / Nazareth).  Schenker is spectacular on this most excellent tune.  The solo in Samurai was crackin, but the rest of the song fell flat for me. The first 20 seconds of Desert Song, I can tell this is going to be glorious - I wouldn't have even needed JJ's or Wolfking's endorsement.  The rest of the album is good, I'm just not wow'd.  I think I'm with everyone's comments about Bonnet being a "yeller".  There's no charm in his voice or delivery.  It's like he's channeling Sam Kinison (obviously before Kinison was a 'thing'). Ulcer was groovy... I like these up-beat / up-tempo, jazzy-rockin tunes from that era - Pump It Up, Easy Livin, One Fine Morning, Peace Frog ... stuff like that always scratches me where I itch.  Also, I revisited the title track (now that my ears got accustomed to Bonnet), and it was much nicer than it was just 45 minutes ago.  Bonnet is a bit of a trainwreck, despite the melodies being pretty good.  His delivery... notsomuch.

Had to quote this one, cuz I got a legit LOL out of it "this guy makes Barden sound like Bocelli." 

And then I read Gregg's post about the Dancer lyrics, and lost my shit!  I got tears streaming down my cheeks.  "Pours a large cuppa"  I had my coffee up to my mouth, and had to refrain from taking a sip, otherwise :spitcoffee:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ain’t Misbehavin definitely wasn’t terrible like Tim said, but also wasn’t great. Decent rock songs but nothing at all I really want to check out again. This now just sounds like a band that desperately needs Michael back.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ain’t Misbehavin definitely wasn’t terrible like Tim said, but also wasn’t great. Decent rock songs but nothing at all I really want to check out again. This now just sounds like a band that desperately needs Michael back.

It's considered the rock bottom  ;D of their discography.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Yeah, I'm not really disliking Ain't Misbehavin' either. This is more how I wish Misdemeanor sounded. Guitar tone is much better and very little synth to ruin things. Another Saturday Night and Rock Boyz were a bit generic. Otherwise, I enjoyed the other tracks.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
And then I read Gregg's post about the Dancer lyrics, and lost my shit!  I got tears streaming down my cheeks.  "Pours a large cuppa"  I had my coffee up to my mouth, and had to refrain from taking a sip, otherwise :spitcoffee:

You get me Chad, you really do.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Gave up trying to find any kind of affordable physical copies of the Waysted stuff and bought everything digitally from Amazon this morning. I had enough confidence to drop the cash. Right now, I have only heard Vices in its entirety.

Picked up:

Vices
Waysted
The Good The Bad The Waysted
Back From The Dead (Deluxe)
The Harsh Reality

Not sure how I feel about buying Save Your Prayers yet. Not feeling what I have heard so far. Found an interview with Danny where he discussed the turmoil that album caused. When they all got their copies they were pissed that only Pete was on the cover. Then Danny finds out he is left off the writing credits as he says he wrote the lyrics. Chapman backs him up on this but Pete doesn't and says it's mostly Pete who wrote them and Danny got paid so stop complaining. Oh the drama. Anyway, need to check some stuff out more on this one.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim gets 15 cents commission per UFO/MSG/Waysted purchase as a result of this thread  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tim gets 15 cents commission per UFO/MSG/Waysted purchase as a result of this thread  :metal

:lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm about a week behind, but trying to catch (and keep) up.

Michael Schenker Group
Man the production is thin. Vocally, this is tantamount to the drop in quality in going from Bruce to Blaze - I’m just not finding much to love in Barden.  A&D was a decent opener. The solo in Cry for the Nations just absolutely rips, and saves the song. Opening riff in Victim of Illusion is nice.  Bijou was really nice ... gave me a Triumph/Emmett vibe, as they did quite a few of these kinds of interlude songs. Feels Like A Good <Aerosmith> Thing about sums it up. I dug it.   Arena was excellent!  Tales of Mystery was doubly excellent!!  Lost Horizons was a plodder, saved by the outro.

Re Barden, Kade wrote it best .... “I'm not the biggest fan of Gary Barden's voice.  He's an adequate vocalist, but for me, there' just nothing really special about his job.  He's your 'meat and potatoes' hard rock singer.  Gets the job done and fine to listen to, but there's no trimmings or fancy extras. “

Willing/Willing ... There wasn't a lot of discussion here - I was finished the posts before I hit Its Killing Me. Really good tune, but the first three tracks were superior, Chains being a pretty good opener, but the next two were crackers. Makin Moves was nice, that intro to Lonely Heart was gorgeous. Rest of the song couldn’t match the beauty of the opening, but it was still pretty good.

MSG ... first listen I was multitasking, and didn’t really take much of it in. 2nd try, it’s pretty enjoyable. Standouts are On and On, But I Want More (damn, dat riff and guitar work :hefdaddy). Holy fuck ... Looking For Love :OMG!! Outro of Sleeping Dogs was sweet (which I typed before you posting it as well!).  I completely agree with your statement on Barden. He’s much easier on the ears here than the debut. Overall though, for me it’s mostly just standard B-List 70s/80s hard rock... I could spin Bad Company, Aerosmith, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Y&T, Zebra, and the like, and come away equally satisfied.

Mechanix
I liked the sax lines in The Writer, and there was something very enjoyable about the minimalistic and uneventful nature of the lead riff.  Something Else cover was cute enough - sticks out like a sore thumb, but it was nice. “the Bruce Springsteen of British hard rock.” Is an apt way to describe Back Into My Life. You’ll Get Love was ok, but I much more enjoyed Doing it All For You. What an open to the backside of the album! :metal. I’ll tell ya, I think this is Parker’s finest moment so far on the skins. I was really looking forward to Heel of a Stranger based on Stadler's writeup, but was slightly underwhelmed.  Not a bad tune, but I guess I had big expectations.

Assault Attack
I wasn't terribly enamoured with Bonnet on the opening track.  Musically, Rock You To the Ground was a plodder, but my ears enjoyed Bonnet quite a bit more - as is often the case, the outro was fantastic, and saved the track from mediocrity. With Dancer, Bonnet is reminding me of another 80s era vocalist... whom I can't quite put my finger on - it's the raspiness in his voice (Edit... I think I figured it out - Dan McCafferty / Nazareth).  Schenker is spectacular on this most excellent tune.  The solo in Samurai was crackin, but the rest of the song fell flat for me. The first 20 seconds of Desert Song, I can tell this is going to be glorious - I wouldn't have even needed JJ's or Wolfking's endorsement.  The rest of the album is good, I'm just not wow'd.  I think I'm with everyone's comments about Bonnet being a "yeller".  There's no charm in his voice or delivery.  It's like he's channeling Sam Kinison (obviously before Kinison was a 'thing'). Ulcer was groovy... I like these up-beat / up-tempo, jazzy-rockin tunes from that era - Pump It Up, Easy Livin, One Fine Morning, Peace Frog ... stuff like that always scratches me where I itch.  Also, I revisited the title track (now that my ears got accustomed to Bonnet), and it was much nicer than it was just 45 minutes ago.  Bonnet is a bit of a trainwreck, despite the melodies being pretty good.  His delivery... notsomuch.

That's great you had a chance to check these out.

Barden and Bonnet are so different, and both are good new/bad news kind of singers. More bad news.

I can't say I think Barden is all that great, and if I were like many of you guys, going back in time, I'd probably find him kind of laughable. But he does have character, something sorely missing from Schenker's later vocalists. But I was pretty young when I heard MSG, so it's really always been with me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Gave up trying to find any kind of affordable physical copies of the Waysted stuff and bought everything digitally from Amazon this morning. I had enough confidence to drop the cash. Right now, I have only heard Vices in its entirety.

Picked up:

Vices
Waysted
The Harsh Reality

Not sure how I feel about buying Save Your Prayers yet. Not feeling what I have heard so far. Found an interview with Danny where he discussed the turmoil that album caused. When they all got their copies they were pissed that only Pete was on the cover. Then Danny finds out he is left off the writing credits as he says he wrote the lyrics. Chapman backs him up on this but Pete doesn't and says it's mostly Pete who wrote them and Danny got paid so stop complaining. Oh the drama. Anyway, need to check some stuff out more on this one.

That's a great haul Prof!

And that's interesting about that interview with Danny. I had never heard that before. That cover with Pete sitting there is awesome, I must say.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Here's the interview I was talking about. Lots of info in it. Even a Winger reference!

http://www.hearnoevilrecordings.com/catalogue-3/waysted/

Also just finished listening to the Waysted record with the really long name. Another winner with some crackin' tunes.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Ain't Misbehavin'
« Reply #1000 on: October 04, 2020, 11:46:27 PM »
Save Your Prayers sounds closer to the hair/glam metal prevalent in the day (big backing vocals, drums), but also bears the Way/Chapman stamp of early 80s of their former band. I miss Fin but Danny Vaughn is a nice surprise, sounding at times like Steve Augieri, and giving a fresh take to Waysted. However I feel the songs aren’t quite as strong as previously, perhaps underlined by the smoother production. The remake of Heaven Tonight doesn’t quite hit the mark for me these days, but quite possibly would have done in its time. Certainly SYP is better than the run of the mill commerciality over at MSG with even bigger production etc.
Having said that, I was moving away from the AOR and glam that was surrounding us in the late 80s, thanks to Metallica, Maiden and a resurgent Yes (ABWH). So although I had heard Anytime and another single from then MSG, nothing grabbed me. In fact I found it hard to believe MS had sold out like this, as I felt he was more individual.
The three McCauley albums mostly passed me by without any event, although the second album was a bit better. Certainly Save Yourself is a very good song with an attention grabbing classical intro and solo, and RM doing a very passable RJ Dio impression (he never sounded like this with Grand Prix). On the other hand, I Am Your Radio is truly cringe inducing. I revisited the recommended five songs but still only SY did anything for me.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline Lowdz

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Ain't Misbehavin'
« Reply #1001 on: October 05, 2020, 04:49:20 AM »

Picked up:

Vices
Waysted
The Harsh Reality

That's a great haul Prof!

And that's interesting about that interview with Danny. I had never heard that before. That cover with Pete sitting there is awesome, I must say.

He looks Waysted  :lol
No surprise where the band name came from.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: October 05, 2020, 05:04:16 AM »
So this Ain't Misbehavin' is a pretty damn good FM albums.......er....I mean UFO album.

This is probably better than Misdemenor, but I didn't give that one too many listens.  This one the production is WAY better and makes this much more enjoyable.

Rock and A Hard Place:  So much FM sound in this.  This is a great tune, nice mood, great swagger and a fitting chorus which lifts from the verse which makes it more impactful.  Nice key change there too.  Tommy's solo rips here.  The production really makes me notice him here as opposed to Misdemenor.  Tasty shred.

Saturday Night:  Great, laid back 80's tune.  Love the cheesy keyboard sounds here.  I find the chorus really really good and catchy straight away.  Cheesy backups too, but they are nice.  Tommy rips a bit hard for the song, but I respect that.  I don't mind guitarists being self indulgent but still adding some emotion and flavour.  That chorus is great again.  Found myself singing 'Saturday Night,' by the end.

War With the World:  This one is a bit of a step down for me, but it's short and groovy enough so I don't mind.  Not much to say, the chorus is adequte but not mindblowing or as catchy as the first two.

Hunger in the Night:  Oh yeah, now we're talking.  I get a Survivor mood right at the start and the atmosphere and tempo is great.  Phil sounds fucking awesome.  That chorus, fuck that's a great chorus.  I like how Phil is kind of ad libbing and being quite reserved in his vocals here and lets the backups take a bit more control.  I like that.  He sounds amazing in the verses, this style really suits him.  Ripping solo too.  Great song.

Easy Money: Nothing flash going on here.  Again, your generic type 80's tune here.  The chorus is so 80's it's not funny.  I wonder if they were trying to get commercial success with this or the last album?  That mid section however sounds like classic UFO to tell you the truth.

Rock Boyz:  The name made me expect the worse as that's a terrible title.  I actually really enjoyed this one.  The chorus is good, it pumps.  Tommy gets shit done too.  that change at 1:59 is sweet.  Shame he didn't really go on to do anything else, dude can play.

Lonely Cities:  This is smooth, really nice and smooth.  I like the grooviness here and the atmosphere is great.  The bass work is sweet here too.  The chorus is pretty subtle and not really over the top but is pretty nice.  I like how it leads into Tommy's solo too, nice transition.

Pretty good batch of tunes here.  Again, it's not UFO, but a nice 80's sounding album.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1003 on: October 05, 2020, 05:22:18 AM »
Now it’s official: I like Ain’t misbehaving more than any McAuley Schenker release  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1004 on: October 05, 2020, 05:34:51 AM »
Just remembered UFOs appearance on a short lived TV programme in the 80s called ECT. Metal bands playing live in a studio, usually 3-4 bands a show, 2-3 songs each. UFO were on and did Nightrun and Heaven's Gate iirc.

https://youtu.be/73GqRt7dBi0

https://youtu.be/rqB8Aktk5XQ

Seems my memory is playing tricks on me. UFO are not listed as being on the programme _ I saw this somewhere back in the day.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 05:39:56 AM by Lowdz »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: October 05, 2020, 05:43:10 AM »
Gimme Your Love:  Right away this sounds like what the album cover looks like.  I like the chorus here.  Nice sound with the keyboards.  I'm open to more of this style.  Solid song to start with.

Here Today:  Oh yeah, more 80's goodness, this is a great song.  that chorus is really excellent.  McAuley has such a great fucking voice.  It's really interesting hearing Shenker in this style.  Certainly not as dominant or even spectacular yet, but you can hear his legendary style in the solo.  Reminds me of Hardline or something this song.  Actually, Jonny has a bit of McAuley in his voice now that I mention it.

Don't Stop Me:  Weird verses here is the first thing I notice.  This album seems to having a consistent style and sound going into the third track.  A bit of an awkward chorus too, really hard to figure out what's going on here, definitely something a little different.  Not even a solo really.  Strange tune.

No Time For Losers:  Here we kind of finally here that classic Shenker sound in the guitar riffing.  I like the harmonics in there too.  Not a bad tune this one, I like the pumping chorus.  Great motto in the lyrics too haha.  Oh yeah, that solo, now we're fucking talking!!  There's Shenker!  That classical style line at 1:59?  WTF? Brilliant!!

Follow the Night:  This is a nice song.  Again, McAuley sounds wonderful.  Imagine is he sang on the early MSG albums?  Wow.  I love the chorus here, and especially how it resolves back to the moody verse.  Some great chord structures in here too.  That key change into the chorus is just lush! 

Get Out:  Oh yeah, Rock Bottom vibes here! Great tempo shift this one.  The chorus is snappy and catchy and cool.  That riff is dirty and how it keeps repeating is all class.  Interesting and subtle solo section.  It's amazing how much the songs are the focus here over Shenker. 

Love is Not A Game:  LOVE the verses and the feel here, wow!  Pure 80's but pure 80's bliss.  Love the melodies in the verses, absolutely brilliant!  Snare sounds great and the bass sounds strong too.  The verse rhythm is the perfect backing for Shenker too.  Wonderful solo, just so good.  Love the subtle ad lib from Shenker in the end too, so tasty.  Could be my fav track so far.

Time:  Powerful sounding ballad from the intro.  Great moody tune this, very emotional too.  I love the Gamma Ray style pre chorus too, nice songwriting.  Epic chorus too.  Reminds me a little of Sonata Arctica for some reason, I think the keyboard sounds, but even the vocal melodies.  Tasy Shenker in the solo too.  Such a creative lead player.

I Don't Wanna Lose:  Reminds me a bit of Dio in the intro.  When it gets going that reminds me of old school UFO.  Get that Hardline vibe again when it gets going.  The chorus would need a few listens.  Although, could be the best solo section on the album.

Rock Til You're Crazy:  Great tune this.  The chorus is very good  and love Shenker's notes underneath.  Again, reminds me of some older UFO.  That solo in the middle should have gone longer though, that ripped.

This is a pretty decent album.  Obviously Shenker trying to go mainstream and it's a solid effort.  Would listen again.  Will try and get to the other McAuley albums through the week.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1006 on: October 05, 2020, 05:46:20 AM »
Now it’s official: I like Ain’t misbehaving more than any McAuley Schenker release  :tup

:metal

Here's the interview I was talking about. Lots of info in it. Even a Winger reference!

http://www.hearnoevilrecordings.com/catalogue-3/waysted/

Wow, that's fantastic!

Ironic that Fin was working on something with Laurence Archer...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1007 on: October 05, 2020, 05:47:45 AM »
Save Your Prayers sounds closer to the hair/glam metal prevalent in the day (big backing vocals, drums), but also bears the Way/Chapman stamp of early 80s of their former band. I miss Fin but Danny Vaughn is a nice surprise, sounding at times like Steve Augieri, and giving a fresh take to Waysted. However I feel the songs aren’t quite as strong as previously, perhaps underlined by the smoother production. The remake of Heaven Tonight doesn’t quite hit the mark for me these days, but quite possibly would have done in its time. Certainly SYP is better than the run of the mill commerciality over at MSG with even bigger production etc.
Having said that, I was moving away from the AOR and glam that was surrounding us in the late 80s, thanks to Metallica, Maiden and a resurgent Yes (ABWH). So although I had heard Anytime and another single from then MSG, nothing grabbed me. In fact I found it hard to believe MS had sold out like this, as I felt he was more individual.
The three McCauley albums mostly passed me by without any event, although the second album was a bit better. Certainly Save Yourself is a very good song with an attention grabbing classical intro and solo, and RM doing a very passable RJ Dio impression (he never sounded like this with Grand Prix). On the other hand, I Am Your Radio is truly cringe inducing. I revisited the recommended five songs but still only SY did anything for me.

I was skeptical of SYP too, but Danny won me over with his vocal performance. Plus it was still Pete and Paul. Not every song is great, but this is a real hidden gem of the mid to late 80's.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1008 on: October 05, 2020, 05:53:10 AM »
@ Wolfking..

Kade, you were very nice in your reviews. Thank you so much for doing those. I actually want to listen to those albums after reading them . I may do so tonight. :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: October 05, 2020, 06:17:28 AM »
@ Wolfking..

Kade, you were very nice in your reviews. Thank you so much for doing those. I actually want to listen to those albums after reading them . I may do so tonight. :)

They are just random thoughts as I'm listening mate.  I guess I'm finding a lot to enjoy because I have no preconceived opinions or thoughts with all of these albums.  It's just all good music.  Not sure how much of the MSG and Waysted I'll come back to but UFO are a fucking winner.  Listened to Obsession again over the weekend. 

One thing I like about old UFO.  That's the ultimate consistency in quality yet each song doesn't sound like another.  Each song is it's own piece of art and nothing really repeats.  Each album is enjoyable to listen to because of the separate journey each song takes you on.  Some tracks could be swapped around between albums and it wouldn't matter.  That's a good thing IMO and shows the variety in their music without sacrificing quality.

Edit:  I mean the McAuley stuff with MSG.  The old MSG albums will get spins and have been but we'll see how this McAuley stuff goes.  Interested in the next ones.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #1010 on: October 05, 2020, 07:24:50 AM »
Ain’t Misbehavin is another UFO album I didn’t buy previously, as I heard around the time of its release that it wasn’t endorsed by the band. Apparently it wasn’t up to standard. So this is my first time hearing it.
I would say there are no truly bad tracks on it, and three or four that that are pretty good… Easy Money, Rock Boyz Rock, Between a Rock and a Hard Place, At War with the World.
I would rather listen to this (and Waysted) than the three McCauley MSGs. Having said that, this band was never meant to be UFO. Occasionally the songs feel of demo quality, and I wonder if there are some Misdemeanor outtakes in here. Some felt like they needed more time to work on.
The AOR backing vocals are slightly in evidence but the raw production stops this from being over the top. Tommy’s guitar is not so trebly this time, but he lacks the finesse and tone of MS or PC; it’s more about flash with him, less the melody. So not as bad as I feared, and I know there’s better to come.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: October 05, 2020, 08:10:34 AM »
Listening to Ain't Misbehavin' now.

Four songs in and I'm digging it! Definitely not very UFOish, but pretty good 80's rock and I think Phil sounds great. His voice and style works with the more AOR style music, IMO. I'd rather listen to this than anything with Steve Perry in it from the same era.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1012 on: October 05, 2020, 08:48:40 AM »
Music Tomato World!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN02xgkz050

WTF?? :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHxlBpCudSE

I don't know if it's a sign that MS is THAT GOOD, or the circumstances were THAT BAD, but I could listen to Michael noodle like that all day long. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1013 on: October 05, 2020, 10:38:20 AM »
Listening to Ain't Misbehavin' now.

Four songs in and I'm digging it! Definitely not very UFOish, but pretty good 80's rock and I think Phil sounds great. His voice and style works with the more AOR style music, IMO. I'd rather listen to this than anything with Steve Perry in it from the same era.

Those are beautiful words, brother.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: October 05, 2020, 01:25:40 PM »
Did they actually try and release Ain’t Misbehavin with that album cover that’s on YouTube? There is no way most stores would carry it with that cover.

And Tim you might have to give this one another chance. Seems like nobody agrees with you that it’s terrible lol. It’s solid 80s AOR music, I’m liking it.