Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143214 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Ain't Misbehavin'
« Reply #1015 on: October 05, 2020, 01:54:39 PM »
Hah! Yes, I’m going to listen to it tonight and read Kade’s synopsis as I go.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Ain't Misbehavin'
« Reply #1016 on: October 05, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »
Hah! Yes, I’m going to listen to it tonight and read Kade’s synopsis as I go.

Jeez, I would have put a bit more effort in if I knew you were going to do this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1017 on: October 05, 2020, 04:45:08 PM »

Nightmare: The Accoustic MSG     Unplugged Live

Released February 1992                        Released October 1992

1. Anytime                                               1. Anytime
2. We Believe In Love                               2. We Believe In Love 
3. What Happens To Me                            3. What Happens To Me
4. Bad Boys                                             4. Bad Boys
5. When I'm Gone                                    5. Gimme Your Love
6. Never Ending Nightmare                          6.Natural Thing
                                                               7. When I'm Gone
                                                               8. Perrier-formerly Couvoisier-Concerto
                                                               9. Never Ending Nightmare
                                                               10. Doctor Doctor
                                                               11. Lights Out

Michael Schenker and Robin McAuley recorded an acoustic EP for Japan.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the full album on youtube but I do think there are individual tracks if you search.

But basically check this out:
They ended up deciding to tour acoustically in early 1992. Unplugged live was recorded at the Celebrity Theater in Anaheim on March 25, 1992. They were assisted on guitar by Spencer Sercombe of Shark island.

Here is the video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-tmqctR064

I actually saw this show at Axis, a very small club in Boston across the street from the Green Monster at Fenway, on March 11, 1992.

Here are some pics.

So, a funny thing happened to me at this show.  At some point this guy taps me on the shoulder and is all, "What's up, hey you were at the UFO show at the Living Room right?" Yeah I was.
Seems for some reason, this guy (probably about my age or a little older) remembered talking to me at the UFO show SIX YEARS AGO. I was 17 then, and 23 now. How the fuck did he remember me??
Anyway, he asks me if I had the new UFO album. I was like what UFO album?  He said that Pete Way and Phil Mogg got back together and released an album.

(Apparently UFO had just released High Stakes And Dangerous Men in Japan)

He offered to hook me up with a copy. Turns out, he lived in the town where the store I was working was (I'm actually back working there now, almost 30 years later..) Sure enough, a couple days later he brings me a cassette copy of High Stakes. I literally had no idea this album was even made. Internet? What internet? But this odd chance encounter basically delivered me basically a real time grab of High Stakes. Amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: October 05, 2020, 05:01:55 PM »
Top bloke by the sounds Tim.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: October 05, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »
I used to have a Schenker compilation called Into the Arena which including songs from all of Michaels various bands. There was a few acoustic tunes on there and it’s clear that Michael and Robin have good music chemistry, especially in an acoustic setting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1020 on: October 05, 2020, 05:41:55 PM »
High Stakes And Dangerous Men

High Stakes And Dangerous Men (1988)

Released February 1992

1. Borderline
2. Primed For Time
3. She's The One
4. Ain't Life Sweet
5. Don't Want To Lose You
6. Burnin' Fire
7. Running Up The Highway
8. Back Door Man
9. One Of Those Nights
10. Revolution
11. Love Deadly Love
12. Let The Good Times Roll

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Laurence Archer-Guitar
Pete Way-Bass
Clive Edwards-Drums

Don Airey-Keyboards

After a chance meeting in a pub, Pete Way and Phil Mogg talked about a lot of things over some drinks. Eventually it led to possibly reuniting and forming a band.
That band would include former Stampede and Grand Slam guitarist Laurence Archer, and former Wild Horses (along with Neil Carter) drummer Clive Edwards.

High Stakes is a high quality album. I remember being given a copy of it, and I was so happy that there was new UFO material. But not just any UFO material. This actually included Pete Way.

The lead track, Borderline, is one of my all time favorite UFO tracks. This is a truly solid album with some nice playing from Archer. Unfortunately, the guitar is quite soft in the mix. But listening carefully, Archer is ripping it up big time.

Archer, Mogg, Way, Edwards

Edwards, Way, Mogg, Archer

Lights Out-Live In Tokyo

Lights Out In Tokyo (1992)

Released 1992

1. Running Up The Highway
2. Borderline
3. Too Hot To Handle
4. She's The One
5. Cherry
6. Back Door Man
7. One Of Those Nights
8. Love To Love
9. Only You Can Rock Me
10. Lights Out
11. Doctor Doctor
12. Rock Bottom
13. Shoot Shoot
14. C'Mon Everybody

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Laurence Archer-Guitar
Pete Way-Bass
Clive Edwards-Drums
Jem Davis-Keyboards

Edwards, Archer, Way, Mogg, Davis

This lineup would release a live album from the Japanese tour. This album absolutely smokes. Clive Edwards' drumming is solid AF, and Laurence Archer tears it up. The version of Love To Love, while sped up a bit, is AMAZING! And Lights Out and Rock Bottom? Archer actually stays pretty faithful to the Strangers' version of Rock Bottom. But it's fantastic, as is what might be my favorite version of Shoot Shoot.

With the endless supply of live material, after Strangers In The Night, this is my second favorite live release from UFO.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1021 on: October 05, 2020, 05:42:29 PM »
That's a very cool story.   I've been to Axis; how did it sound?  Was it a cool show?  He looks more animated and engaged than he did the only time I've seen him (Schenkerfest). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1022 on: October 05, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
That's a very cool story.   I've been to Axis; how did it sound?  Was it a cool show?  He looks more animated and engaged than he did the only time I've seen him (Schenkerfest).

It was an awesome show. I was so close to Michael, I was amazed. I remember thinking how great of would've been if it was an electric show, but looking back, it was really unique. Say what you want about the McAuley Era, that guy has an amazing voice.

And even though I didn't know who they were yet, I would also see Dream Theater at Axis TWICE later the same year.

Stadler, I don't know how much you remember about Axis, but upstairs it felt like the Miloko Milk Bar from Clockwork Orange. I think the night I saw Mr. Bungle there, there was literally like a craft fair going on upstairs. people selling all kinds of weird shit like homemade jewelry and knitted shalls and blankets. WTF??

I mentioned I am working in the same store as I was then. We were having a Grand Reopening the next day, so I worked till like 6PM or so. Then I went in town to the show, and after the show, I went back to the store. After a break to chill out, I punched in and started to prep for the day. I ended up leaving shortly after the store opened. I was so tired, a little more than halfway home I literally pulled into a rest area and took a nap.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: October 05, 2020, 06:01:14 PM »
I used to have a Schenker compilation called Into the Arena which including songs from all of Michaels various bands. There was a few acoustic tunes on there and it’s clear that Michael and Robin have good music chemistry, especially in an acoustic setting.

I actually just realised I have this one;

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Schenker-Forever-And-More-The-Best-Of/release/7347994

No idea the origins behind the versions of the songs but will dig it out at some stage too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: High Stakes
« Reply #1024 on: October 05, 2020, 06:02:27 PM »
Alright, I actually have this UFO album on CD.  Will find it tonight and spin tomorrow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1025 on: October 05, 2020, 06:34:11 PM »
So this Ain't Misbehavin' is a pretty damn good FM albums.......er....I mean UFO album.

This is probably better than Misdemenor, but I didn't give that one too many listens.  This one the production is WAY better and makes this much more enjoyable.

Rock and A Hard Place:  So much FM sound in this.  This is a great tune, nice mood, great swagger and a fitting chorus which lifts from the verse which makes it more impactful.  Nice key change there too.  Tommy's solo rips here.  The production really makes me notice him here as opposed to Misdemenor.  Tasty shred.

Saturday Night:  Great, laid back 80's tune.  Love the cheesy keyboard sounds here.  I find the chorus really really good and catchy straight away.  Cheesy backups too, but they are nice.  Tommy rips a bit hard for the song, but I respect that.  I don't mind guitarists being self indulgent but still adding some emotion and flavour.  That chorus is great again.  Found myself singing 'Saturday Night,' by the end.

War With the World:  This one is a bit of a step down for me, but it's short and groovy enough so I don't mind.  Not much to say, the chorus is adequte but not mindblowing or as catchy as the first two.

Hunger in the Night:  Oh yeah, now we're talking.  I get a Survivor mood right at the start and the atmosphere and tempo is great.  Phil sounds fucking awesome.  That chorus, fuck that's a great chorus.  I like how Phil is kind of ad libbing and being quite reserved in his vocals here and lets the backups take a bit more control.  I like that.  He sounds amazing in the verses, this style really suits him.  Ripping solo too.  Great song.

Easy Money: Nothing flash going on here.  Again, your generic type 80's tune here.  The chorus is so 80's it's not funny.  I wonder if they were trying to get commercial success with this or the last album?  That mid section however sounds like classic UFO to tell you the truth.

Rock Boyz:  The name made me expect the worse as that's a terrible title.  I actually really enjoyed this one.  The chorus is good, it pumps.  Tommy gets shit done too.  that change at 1:59 is sweet.  Shame he didn't really go on to do anything else, dude can play.

Lonely Cities:  This is smooth, really nice and smooth.  I like the grooviness here and the atmosphere is great.  The bass work is sweet here too.  The chorus is pretty subtle and not really over the top but is pretty nice.  I like how it leads into Tommy's solo too, nice transition.

Pretty good batch of tunes here.  Again, it's not UFO, but a nice 80's sounding album.

OK..

You really gave me a new appreciation of Hunger In The Night. You made some solid points on it.
Hey at 2:47 right before the solo, I get a total Grace Under Pressure vibe. Maybe Distant Early Warning..

Yes, at 1:59, in the Rock Boyz solo, that is a great spot.

And you give a great description of Lonely Cities.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: October 05, 2020, 06:38:21 PM »
So this Ain't Misbehavin' is a pretty damn good FM albums.......er....I mean UFO album.

This is probably better than Misdemenor, but I didn't give that one too many listens.  This one the production is WAY better and makes this much more enjoyable.

Rock and A Hard Place:  So much FM sound in this.  This is a great tune, nice mood, great swagger and a fitting chorus which lifts from the verse which makes it more impactful.  Nice key change there too.  Tommy's solo rips here.  The production really makes me notice him here as opposed to Misdemenor.  Tasty shred.

Saturday Night:  Great, laid back 80's tune.  Love the cheesy keyboard sounds here.  I find the chorus really really good and catchy straight away.  Cheesy backups too, but they are nice.  Tommy rips a bit hard for the song, but I respect that.  I don't mind guitarists being self indulgent but still adding some emotion and flavour.  That chorus is great again.  Found myself singing 'Saturday Night,' by the end.

War With the World:  This one is a bit of a step down for me, but it's short and groovy enough so I don't mind.  Not much to say, the chorus is adequte but not mindblowing or as catchy as the first two.

Hunger in the Night:  Oh yeah, now we're talking.  I get a Survivor mood right at the start and the atmosphere and tempo is great.  Phil sounds fucking awesome.  That chorus, fuck that's a great chorus.  I like how Phil is kind of ad libbing and being quite reserved in his vocals here and lets the backups take a bit more control.  I like that.  He sounds amazing in the verses, this style really suits him.  Ripping solo too.  Great song.

Easy Money: Nothing flash going on here.  Again, your generic type 80's tune here.  The chorus is so 80's it's not funny.  I wonder if they were trying to get commercial success with this or the last album?  That mid section however sounds like classic UFO to tell you the truth.

Rock Boyz:  The name made me expect the worse as that's a terrible title.  I actually really enjoyed this one.  The chorus is good, it pumps.  Tommy gets shit done too.  that change at 1:59 is sweet.  Shame he didn't really go on to do anything else, dude can play.

Lonely Cities:  This is smooth, really nice and smooth.  I like the grooviness here and the atmosphere is great.  The bass work is sweet here too.  The chorus is pretty subtle and not really over the top but is pretty nice.  I like how it leads into Tommy's solo too, nice transition.

Pretty good batch of tunes here.  Again, it's not UFO, but a nice 80's sounding album.

OK..

You really gave me a new appreciation of Hunger In The Night. You made some solid points on it.
Hey at 2:47 right before the solo, I get a total Grace Under Pressure vibe. Maybe Distant Early Warning..

Yes, at 1:59, in the Rock Boyz solo, that is a great spot.

And you give a great description of Lonely Cities.

Glad you dig my random thoughts mate.  I'll try and be more thorough again if you enjoy them so much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1027 on: October 05, 2020, 06:39:11 PM »
I appreciate your insights.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1028 on: October 05, 2020, 06:46:55 PM »
About High Stakes and Dangerous Man:
Very, very good album! Although in a different way than Schenker/Chapman era, this UFO back to hard rock, no doubt. Boderline is an amazing opener and Love Deadly Love has a totally classic Schenker UFO style and it is really good! I also like very much She’s the One, Ain’t Life Sweet, Don’t Want to Loose You, Running Up the Highway, Back Door Man and One of Those Nights. I also liked a lot the new members, Clive Edwards, that is like a more energetic Andy Parker, and Lawrence Archer, that has a little more metal edge in his playing, but very hard rocking in his compositions. I have that “One of Those Nights – The Collection” version and it hasn’t the credits for the songs. Anyone knows if Back Door Man is a version of the Willie Dixon’s song? (Edited: in the booklet, the live version of it is credited to Mogg/Way/Archer)

Ranking:

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9,5
MAKING CONTACT/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/HIGH STAKES & DANGEROUS MEN – 8,5
NO PLACE TO RUN/? – 8,0
MISDEMEANOR/? – 7,5
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 07:45:48 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1029 on: October 05, 2020, 06:56:51 PM »
About Lights Out Live in Tokyo:
Great recording and the band seems really having a good time and performed very well, with Pete Way much more revigorated here compared with the 80's. The High Stakes songs are great, there’s cool versions of the classics and Love to Love is totally killer (I really liked it a bit faster). My only minor complaint is that, despite Archer great work, I missed a rhythm guitar player live. And since Archer choose to make his own solos in a lot of spots, without the rhythm guitar, sometimes was hard to recognize the songs in those moments, like in Cherry or Too Hot to Handle. And some changes in the arrangements like, again, in Too Hot, in that very rocker part (“shala-la-la…”), playing it in that quieter way, personally I didn’t like it very much. And, c’mon (everybody), why no Love Deadly Love in the setlist?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1030 on: October 05, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »
It comes close to cringeworthy, but Phil rescues it just in time. I didn't have a problem with the changeup in Too Hot, and I especially liked it in Shoot Shoot, which fucking rocks here.

Oh, and I'm totally with you on Love Deadly Love. That's a great tune.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1031 on: October 05, 2020, 07:06:55 PM »
Cool TAC! High Stakes is really good, I hear it from time to time. Very cool to see you regard Boderline so high, what a song!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1032 on: October 05, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
Borderline makes my UFO Top 20! Maybe higher.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: October 05, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »
I appreciate your insights.

Great, I'll keep at it.  It actually helps me digest the songs and even keep focus on the listening experience.  Luckily most of everything so far has held my interest regardless but writing thoughts always helps if something doesn't quite catch you and you start to drift.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1034 on: October 06, 2020, 02:53:35 AM »
I'm a little late to the show with my CSB story, but earlier in the thread when someone posted a photo of MS standing with Glen Tipton it gave me a flashback. I decided to wait until Tim got to the Mcauley albums, but then I got distracted ect...

The 3rd concert that I ever attended was MSG headlining tour for Save Yourself. They would have an unknown (at the time) band called Black Crows opening for them. About a year after this show Black Crows would hit it pretty big, but at the time I just remember thinking there were a bunch of guys on stage trying to be a modern Rolling Stones.

Anyways, the concert was in a venue called The Newport in Columbus, Ohio. It's near the Ohio State campus, and is a fairly popular place if you're a rocker in Ohio. The soundboard is probably around 100' from the stage, and right behind the pit in the middle of the venue. This is also the place that I would see the UFO reunion tour 6 or 7 years later.

As we enter the venue there is MS standing at the board arguing with someone, and trying to get additional people added to the VIP/Backstage list. I'm assuming that it's someone that manages the venue. I walked a few feet by them, and made sure to slow down so that I could eves-drop in on the conversation.

If memory servers me right, it was in late winter/early spring of 1989, so I would have been 15 (16 later that year). I grew up to be 6'3", and was probably pretty close to full height at that point. I remember MS being a fairly small person when I walked by him. I've seen him on stage a few times since then, but it's harder to gauge someone's stature when you're looking up at them like that.

My point being that the photo that someone posted earlier in the thread of MS talking to Glenn was either taken at an odd angle, or GT is a very small man.

I realize that this story has zero relevance, but much like King's spelling I couldn't help but share it with everyone  :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: October 06, 2020, 04:56:34 AM »
Funny, cause Tipton always looked like a tall man to me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1036 on: October 06, 2020, 05:28:13 AM »
Awesome story, Jaon.

I saw The Black Crowes on their first tour as well, but they headlined a club in providence. I was right up front but didn't bring my camera. I remember how skinny the singer was.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: October 06, 2020, 05:53:49 AM »
According to the internet, Tipton is 5' 11" and Schenker is an even 6'
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1038 on: October 06, 2020, 05:56:10 AM »
OK, another UFO album I haven't heard. Guess that's what the NHS will be paying me for today! (whilst I'm working, of course  ;))

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: October 06, 2020, 05:59:28 AM »
According to the internet, Tipton is 5' 11" and Schenker is an even 6'

Huh.  Do they are both not really that tall.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: October 06, 2020, 06:00:41 AM »
Revisiting LO tonight.  Try Me is fucking amazing.  That solo has opened up and made me realise the genius of MS.  Can almost bring a grown man to tears.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1041 on: October 06, 2020, 06:02:48 AM »
That post can bring a grown man to tears. ;D

Seriously, that's some good shit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: October 06, 2020, 06:14:32 AM »
Such a fucking amazing solo.  Everything about it is pure perfection.  And his tone is sparkling.

I just watched the studio version with Vinnie again.  I love Vinnie a lot but I'm sorry, he doesn't even come close to matching Shenkers original.  That's saying something.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: October 06, 2020, 06:19:12 AM »
Revisiting LO tonight.  Try Me is fucking amazing.  That solo has opened up and made me realise the genius of MS.  Can almost bring a grown man to tears.

I'm Podaar, and I approved this message.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: October 06, 2020, 07:02:07 AM »
Such a fucking amazing solo.  Everything about it is pure perfection.  And his tone is sparkling.

I just watched the studio version with Vinnie again.  I love Vinnie a lot but I'm sorry, he doesn't even come close to matching Shenkers original.  That's saying something.

I’m going to take a wild guess and say there will be some amazon deliveries for Wolf in the next couple of weeks 😂

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: October 06, 2020, 07:37:21 AM »
Funny, cause Tipton always looked like a tall man to me.

I always considered him the tallest member of Priest; even in photos where he wasn't strictly tallest, he would tend to have his head bent forward (something that tall people sometimes do).  RUDY Schenker seems to be a tall guy; only Francis Bucholz was regularly taller in Scorps pictures (doesn't help that Klaus Meine could look Ronnie James Dio straight in the eye).   I have one picture where Rudy and Michael are within an inch or so of each other.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1046 on: October 06, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »

I’m going to take a wild guess and say there will be some amazon deliveries for Wolf in the next couple of weeks 😂

I want my 15%!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1047 on: October 06, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »
First impression of High Stakes was that it was ok. A bluesier sound than is usual for UFO. Guitar playing was fine. I'm convinced that most albums would sound good with Phil Mogg singing on them. I've always underrated him as a singer I think, as if I'm thinking of my favourite singers he wouldn't jump to mind - but I love his voice and the world is a better place when Phil is singing.

Not one of my favourite albums so far though - with the proviso that I've only played it once.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: October 06, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »
First impression of High Stakes was that it was ok. A bluesier sound than is usual for UFO. Guitar playing was fine. I'm convinced that most albums would sound good with Phil Mogg singing on them. I've always underrated him as a singer I think, as if I'm thinking of my favourite singers he wouldn't jump to mind - but I love his voice and the world is a better place when Phil is singing.

Not one of my favourite albums so far though - with the proviso that I've only played it once.

I like this;  he's like the Mike Eruzione of hard rock.  Not the best player on the team, but clearly makes everyone around him better.  In a good way, not like Anthony Keidis, because he's so bad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1049 on: October 06, 2020, 09:57:53 AM »
That take is Red Hot!  ;D

#seewhatididthere