Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143128 times)

Podaar and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: High Stakes
« Reply #1050 on: October 06, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »
That take is Red Hot!  ;D

#seewhatididthere

:tup ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: October 06, 2020, 03:29:36 PM »
Such a fucking amazing solo.  Everything about it is pure perfection.  And his tone is sparkling.

I just watched the studio version with Vinnie again.  I love Vinnie a lot but I'm sorry, he doesn't even come close to matching Shenkers original.  That's saying something.

I’m going to take a wild guess and say there will be some amazon deliveries for Wolf in the next couple of weeks 😂

I want my 15%!

Send me your bank details.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: October 06, 2020, 03:30:37 PM »
Revisiting LO tonight.  Try Me is fucking amazing.  That solo has opened up and made me realise the genius of MS.  Can almost bring a grown man to tears.

I'm Podaar, and I approved this message.

Welcome to the meeting Podaar.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1053 on: October 06, 2020, 05:01:18 PM »
The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread would like to pay its respects to:

Eddie Van Halen

Pete Way,"A few years later, I bumped into Eddie Van Halen in Seattle and spent a day off with him doing the usual things. Eddie told me that when Michael left, he'd wanted to audition for UFO but didn't feel confident enough to call us. That would've been interesting to say the least, Eddie Van Halen in UFO, but it was not meant to be"*

*Pete Way "A Fast Ride Out OF Here"

On a personal note, I saw Van Halen 7 times between 1984 and 1995. Always amazing shows!

August 22, 1986
Providence Civic Center

While I have taken some really nice shots, even though it's a bit distant, this has always been one of my favorite concert pics...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 05:19:25 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: October 06, 2020, 05:46:48 PM »
 :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: October 06, 2020, 06:09:10 PM »
 :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1056 on: October 06, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »
Michael Schenker and Eddie Van Halen were born 16 days apart.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: October 06, 2020, 06:15:46 PM »
I love that shot, Tim.   

He also wanted to be in Kiss, too.  I see UFO before I see Kiss.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1058 on: October 06, 2020, 06:18:27 PM »
I love that shot, Tim.   

I've always loved it, honestly.

Bill, I'm sure you, like me, had the VH drawn on your paper bag wrapped schoolbooks, right next to an AC/DC.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: October 06, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
I love that shot, Tim.   

I've always loved it, honestly.

Bill, I'm sure you, like me, had the VH drawn on your paper bag wrapped schoolbooks, right next to an AC/DC.

Holy crap!  100%!   The wings were so cool.   

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: October 06, 2020, 07:11:52 PM »
Van Halen in UFO in the 80's would have been quite special.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1061 on: October 06, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
Well, we wouldn't have had the Van Halen albums. This way I get Paul Chapman, and Van Halen!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: October 06, 2020, 08:09:41 PM »
Lawrence Archer.  Dude can play.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1063 on: October 06, 2020, 08:14:19 PM »
Hell fucking yes!!!  Phenomenal.

He is criminally buried on High Stakes, but really shines on the live album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: October 06, 2020, 08:18:01 PM »
About 4 songs in.  I did think he is a little buried in the mix but not too bad.  Interesting sounding album so far.  I like the shred aspect of his playing.  Will post song thoughts later.  The production however is very good and his rhythm tone is nice and thick and full.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1065 on: October 06, 2020, 08:28:47 PM »
Turning Japanese  :metal

Kade, if this dude can do it, so can you!

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #1066 on: October 06, 2020, 10:31:34 PM »
In the early 80s there were two bands we would blast out the car windows, whilst singing along. UFO, British hard rock... VH, American hard rock.

Will get to High Stakes ASAP, but I should say Borderline is one of the best album openers ever.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: October 07, 2020, 12:01:10 AM »
Borderline was cool.  I thought the second song was just as good too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: October 07, 2020, 05:21:12 AM »

Pretty decent. 

I'll find some time to try and learn it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: October 07, 2020, 05:22:39 AM »
Not sure what t o think of the second half of High Stakes.  First album so far that feels a little samey.  Need another listen or two.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: October 07, 2020, 05:25:34 AM »
Listened to High Stakes yesterday, and again enjoyed it. Completely different from the mood of the previous two albums. For me they really had a U.S. West Coast/LA flavor...probably because of the style of McClendon's playing. This record's flavor is more U.S. Mid West. Sorta John Cougarish--it more rolls than it rocks. Archer brings a back-water-blues soaked sensibility to his playing and then contrasts it with blistering leads. Mogg sounded like he was having fun, and for the first time I get what Stads is on about with the Springsteen comparison. The more his lyrics gravitate to mature, or even recognizable, themes the more clear the comparison becomes.

Like I said. I enjoyed the listen. I'll never come back to it. This isn't the kind of music I'm going for when I think UFO. I want British hard rock (bordering on metal) with an occasional poignant tear inducing ballad/guitar solo (Try Me, I'm looking at you).
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: October 07, 2020, 05:32:58 AM »
Agree Gregg.  I noticed straight away that American radio rock early 90's style too.  A bit of Bryan Adams style came to mind too, but heavier.  John Cougar is a good comparison.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: October 07, 2020, 05:36:35 AM »
Nice one, Kade. Yeah, I can see the Brian Adams bit too, but like you said, heavier.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: October 07, 2020, 05:40:15 AM »
I guess the thing that surprises me is that these are all British or UK musicians. Often they sound very American in their song writing and playing styles. Archer sounds like he'd fit right in with Molly Hatchet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1074 on: October 07, 2020, 05:42:07 AM »
Listened to High Stakes yesterday, and again enjoyed it. Completely different from the mood of the previous two albums. For me they really had a U.S. West Coast/LA flavor...probably because of the style of McClendon's playing. This record's flavor is more U.S. Mid West. Sorta John Cougarish--it more rolls than it rocks. Archer brings a back-water-blues soaked sensibility to his playing and then contrasts it with blistering leads. Mogg sounded like he was having fun, and for the first time I get what Stads is on about with the Springsteen comparison. The more his lyrics gravitate to mature, or even recognizable, themes the more clear the comparison becomes.

John Cougar? Huh, that's interesting. But as I think of it, I can feel what you're saying. Especially in a songs like Let The Good Times Roll, Burning Fire, and Running Up The Highway.

Mogg was channeling Springsteen since No Place to Run and through most of the Chapman Era. High Stakes has always struck me as having a more mature style. I don't know if that makes sense.

Me, I like the album, but I feel Archer is way too hidden. It could've been a bit more impactful ifhe was featured a bit more in the mix.

But like I said, he crushes it on the live album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: October 07, 2020, 05:42:28 AM »
Lawrence fits the style of the album really really well.  There was a couple of real melodic rock songs in there too that I liked and the solos were great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1076 on: October 07, 2020, 05:43:45 AM »
I guess the thing that surprises me is that these are all British or UK musicians. Often they sound very American in their song writing and playing styles. Archer sounds like he'd fit right in with Molly Hatchet.

Ironically it was Paul Chapman that formed a band with some of the guys from Molly Hatchet.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: October 07, 2020, 05:44:52 AM »

John Cougar? Huh, that's interesting. But as I think of it, I can feel what you're saying. Especially in a songs like Let The Good Times Roll, Burning Fire, and Running Up The Highway.

Mogg was channeling Springsteen since No Place to Run and through most of the Chapman Era. High Stakes has always struck me as having a more mature style. I don't know if that makes sense.

Me, I like the album, but I feel Archer is way too hidden. It could've been a bit more impactful ifhe was featured a bit more in the mix.

Springsteen came to mind just now too mate with this album.  I also hear a lot of Keep the Faith/These Days era Bon Jovi.  That sort of style.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: October 07, 2020, 05:47:40 AM »

Springsteen came to mind just now too mate with this album.  I also hear a lot of Keep the Faith/These Days era Bon Jovi.  That sort of style.

There you go, the Bon Jovi/Ritchie Sambora combo is what this album reminded me of...although, I think Archer rips way more than Sambora. Similar feel to the song writing though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1079 on: October 07, 2020, 05:49:52 AM »

Pretty decent. 

I can play the rhythm parts but never attempted the lead - I just can't cop other people's solos.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: October 07, 2020, 05:52:45 AM »

There you go, the Bon Jovi/Ritchie Sambora combo is what this album reminded me of...although, I think Archer rips way more than Sambora. Similar feel to the song writing though.

I always though Sambora was a very very ordinary guitarist.  Overrated hack, actually.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1081 on: October 07, 2020, 05:53:13 AM »
I haven't heard Keep The Faith since it came out. I don't know what to make of that comparison. I'm gonna be pissed if I listen to Bon Jovi this morning. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: October 07, 2020, 05:53:36 AM »

Pretty decent. 

I can play the rhythm parts but never attempted the lead - I just can't cop other people's solos.

Gotta start with something way more simplistic than Rock Bottom mate.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: October 07, 2020, 05:54:29 AM »
I haven't heard Keep The Faith since it came out. I don't know what to make of that comparison. I'm gonna be pissed if I listen to Bon Jovi this morning. :lol

Not a Bon Jovi fan but only know the hits from all his albums.  It's just that style it reminds me of.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1084 on: October 07, 2020, 06:00:07 AM »

Dry County is a great song and the solo is cool, but yeah, Sambora was an average guitarist.