Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142926 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Walk On Water
« Reply #1155 on: October 11, 2020, 07:52:47 PM »
@ devieira, wasn't it you that compared Shane Gaalaas to Simon Phillips earlier in the thread? I've been thinking about it since you mentioned it, and I really think you're onto something. Gaalaas, like Phillips, has really tight drum strokes.

I also thought the album cover looked really low budget.  Checking it out, Leif is a pretty good singer but not as good as Robin. What happened between Michael and Robin?

I don't think anything happened. Michael basically rejoined UFO.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1156 on: October 11, 2020, 07:54:15 PM »

There's a few videos from the Chicago '96 show. David Van Landing joins the band for the tour.
Here is Lost Horizons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYKiHlpHIAw

I won't swear to it, but I think this might have been the lineup that I seen a few years later in Columbus, Ohio at the Alrosa Villa. I want to say that they were calling it "The Michael Schenker Life" tour, or something along those lines. Oddly enough, Vinnie Moore was the opener and he used the same band as MS. His set was completely instrumental.

Yes, and I'm planning on covering that....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1157 on: October 11, 2020, 08:07:11 PM »

There's a few videos from the Chicago '96 show. David Van Landing joins the band for the tour.
Here is Lost Horizons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYKiHlpHIAw

I won't swear to it, but I think this might have been the lineup that I seen a few years later in Columbus, Ohio at the Alrosa Villa. I want to say that they were calling it "The Michael Schenker Life" tour, or something along those lines. Oddly enough, Vinnie Moore was the opener and he used the same band as MS. His set was completely instrumental.

Yes, and I'm planning on covering that....

My ex-wife always told me that I was a little too quick to get to/finish things. I'll chill out and wait...  :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1158 on: October 11, 2020, 08:39:27 PM »
@ devieira, wasn't it you that compared Shane Gaalaas to Simon Phillips earlier in the thread? I've been thinking about it since you mentioned it, and I really think you're onto something. Gaalaas, like Phillips, has really tight drum strokes.
Yes, TAC, that was me. I mentioned that the only drummer, besides Simon, on MSG that played perfectly the songs from the 1st album was Shane Gaalaas. I do  think these two were the most technical MSG drummers, with all due respect for the drummers who played in the band, specially Cozy Powell, which I think was also great.
I still don't know what to think about this phase from Written in the Sand to Arachnophobiac... at least, I think it's better than McAuley Shenker abums. I love the rhythm section of Gaalaas/Sparks. The Michael Schenker Story Live (I think it's this tour Powerslave was talking about)  has a super-tight performance of Schenker/Gaalaas/Sparks in the entire album. Great, great live album, amazing selection of songs and that version of Into the Arena...
By the way, Gaalaas, Sparks and... Jeff Kolman (we'll hear about him soon) have an amazing instrumental band called Cosmosquad. Well, I only know their latest album, The Morbid Tango, and it's totally amazing. Instrumental album, with much more composed songs than improvised jams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVkz2vsbj4
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1159 on: October 11, 2020, 08:43:40 PM »
Your balls are as blue as Powerslave's! :lol

Yes, things get busy in the next few years.

...but you guys are fucking good!

I regret not featuring Wild Horses earlier in the thread. I had considered it. Featuring future UFO members Neil Carter and Clive Edwards, but apparently Robin McAuley recorded demos with Brian Robertson after the McAuley Schenker Group finished off.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1160 on: October 11, 2020, 08:54:56 PM »

I still don't know what to think about this phase from Written in the Sand to Arachnophobiac...

It's my opinion that while the singers were certainly talented, they all lacked character and personality. Certainly Written In The Sand and The Unforgiven are a lot better than Beware Of Scorpions and Arachnophobiac. It's the reason to me that the partnership with Doogie White works so well. He's stronger vocally and personality wise. He's not some unknown happy to be there. Rev Jones speaks of how Chris Logan was never really a frontman and drank quite a bit to compensate..

As we see with Phil Mogg, the stronger the vocalist's personality the better Schenker is.

I was initially cool on Written In the Sand but it has aged really well for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1161 on: October 12, 2020, 06:31:34 AM »
Yes, TAC, that was me. I mentioned that the only drummer, besides Simon, on MSG that played perfectly the songs from the 1st album was Shane Gaalaas. I do  think these two were the most technical MSG drummers, with all due respect for the drummers who played in the band, specially Cozy Powell, which I think was also great.
I still don't know what to think about this phase from Written in the Sand to Arachnophobiac... at least, I think it's better than McAuley Shenker abums. I love the rhythm section of Gaalaas/Sparks. The Michael Schenker Story Live (I think it's this tour Powerslave was talking about)  has a super-tight performance of Schenker/Gaalaas/Sparks in the entire album. Great, great live album, amazing selection of songs and that version of Into the Arena...
By the way, Gaalaas, Sparks and... Jeff Kolman (we'll hear about him soon) have an amazing instrumental band called Cosmosquad. Well, I only know their latest album, The Morbid Tango, and it's totally amazing. Instrumental album, with much more composed songs than improvised jams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVkz2vsbj4

Just had a listen to the Cosmosquad album from 1997. Enjoyed it.

Online devieira73

« Reply #1162 on: October 12, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »
I listened a bit some songs of the older albums on Spotify, but my first impression was that Morbid Tango is their best album.

Online devieira73

« Reply #1163 on: October 12, 2020, 08:24:29 AM »
Your balls are as blue as Powerslave's! :lol

Yes, things get busy in the next few years.

...but you guys are fucking good!

I regret not featuring Wild Horses earlier in the thread. I had considered it. Featuring future UFO members Neil Carter and Clive Edwards, but apparently Robin McAuley recorded demos with Brian Robertson after the McAuley Schenker Group finished off.

Thank's, Sir! :lol
I think it would be really difficult to talk about all the UFO related projects without totally loose the focus on their main discography. So I think you are already covering a lot here, it's been really nice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: October 12, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
Got my 10cd collection in the mail yesterday!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1165 on: October 12, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »
Got my 10cd collection in the mail yesterday!  :metal

:metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: October 12, 2020, 03:02:56 PM »
I love those two remakes at the end of Walk on Water, especially Doctor Doctor.  I like that more than the original.  Shenkers licks at the very beginning are just incredible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1167 on: October 12, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »

Cosmosquad

https://open.spotify.com/album/4r2CNZVSXjdEMIjtDoFh8J?si=FXrColFMQ8a3d9JHl7JI-w

Just a quick blip here on Cosmosquad.

An instrumental band consisting of guitarist Jeff Kollman, bassist Barry Sparks, and drummer Shane Gaalaas. Relevant because you will be seeing/hearing a lot of them here in the next half dozen years, including the aforementioned Written In The Sand.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1168 on: October 12, 2020, 04:01:35 PM »
Edge Of The World

Edge Of The World-1997

Released 1997

1. Change Brings A Change
2. All Out Of Luck
3. Gravy Train
4. Fortune Town
5. Highwire
6. Saving Me From Myself
7. Mother Mary
8. House Of Pain
9. It's A Game
10. History Of Flames
11. Spell On You
12. Totaled

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Pete Way-Bass
Aynsley Dunbar-Drums
George Bellas-Guitar

Matt Guillory-Keyboards

After signing away 50% of the UFO name to Michael Schenker, Phil and Pete are unable to record as UFO. But apparently um..Mogg/Way was still available.. :lol

Anyway, Phil goes back to the Mike Varney stable and enlists George Bellas on guitar. The lineup is rounded out by drummer Aynsley Dunbar, who BTW has a ridiculous discography.

I also never noticed but apparently James Labrie's partner Matt Guillory plays keyboards on this album. Interesting.

Even though it's released under the Mogg Way name, it, and it's successor are UFO albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Edge Of The World
« Reply #1169 on: October 12, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »
This was a great album.  Bellas smokes although he is too low in the mix.  I'll listen to this one again now I have more of an appreciation of the UFO sound from day 1.

And yeah, surely they could have come up with a better band name.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Edge Of The World
« Reply #1170 on: October 12, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »
I will give this a full listen tonight, hopefully. I am excited about these Mogg/Way albums.

By the way, am I the only one that always thinks Mogwai when I see that name? Which then makes me think of Gremlins.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1171 on: October 12, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
By the way, am I the only one that always thinks Mogwai when I see that name? Which then makes me think of Gremlins.

You might be. :lol

I have never watched the Gremlins. They were a little after my time.

This was a great album.  Bellas smokes although he is too low in the mix.  I'll listen to this one again now I have more of an appreciation of the UFO sound from day 1.

And yeah, surely they could have come up with a better band name.

Yeah, you got a sneak peak on this one. ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: October 12, 2020, 04:56:14 PM »
I will give this a full listen tonight, hopefully. I am excited about these Mogg/Way albums.

I think you might be mate.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: October 12, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
If you other guys haven't listened to this album I strongly recommend you do.  Lots of UFO vibes and some high quality tunes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: October 12, 2020, 06:28:14 PM »
Chucked on the Making Contact CD in the car from my new set and it sounds excellent.  Much better than the mp3 copy I had.  Really impressed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1175 on: October 12, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »
That's awesome!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: October 12, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »
That's awesome!!

Yeah, stoked.

I wish Ain't Misbehavin was part of the set however.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: October 12, 2020, 06:56:47 PM »
That's awesome!!

Yeah, stoked.

Darn, more amazon packages for Kade lol

Never knew about the Mogg/Way album. Going by Wikipedia the next UFO album after walk on water is in 2000. So this is cool that an unofficial UFO album was made in between those. Will check it out

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: October 12, 2020, 07:08:31 PM »
That's awesome!!

Yeah, stoked.

Darn, more amazon packages for Kade lol

Never knew about the Mogg/Way album. Going by Wikipedia the next UFO album after walk on water is in 2000. So this is cool that an unofficial UFO album was made in between those. Will check it out

:metal

Just, don't expect Bellas to be a Shenker clone.  He's a totally different player.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1179 on: October 12, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »

Well, there's two Mogg Way albums, but only because they couldn't use the UFO name. Both are really good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1180 on: October 12, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »
@ devieira..

Found this really cool interview with Shane Gaalaas.
https://www.everyonelovesguitar.com/2020/02/19/shane-gaalaas-interview-2/

Talks about Michael Schenker around the 44:00 mark.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1181 on: October 12, 2020, 08:19:52 PM »
If you other guys haven't listened to this album I strongly recommend you do.  Lots of UFO vibes and some high quality tunes.

Yeah Kade, I highly recommend it. This is a great album. It's like High Stakes on steroids. George Bellas is awesome on this, and while he can get pretty shreddy on this, there's lots of UFO feel on this. Phil Mogg is amazing on this album.

House Of Pain sounds ripped right off of High Stakes, and It's A Game has a total Waysted feel.

Spell On You is a great deep back end track on this album. Great playing from Bellas on this track. He basically rips through the entire album. But he totally vibes with such an old school rhythm section.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: October 12, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »

Yeah Kade, I highly recommend it. This is a great album. It's like High Stakes on steroids. George Bellas is awesome on this, and while he can get pretty shreddy on this, there's lots of UFO feel on this. Phil Mogg is amazing on this album.

House Of Pain sounds ripped right off of High Stakes, and It's A Game has a total Waysted feel.

Spell On You is a great deep back end track on this album. Great playing from Bellas on this track. He basically rips through the entire album. But he totally vibes with such an old school rhythm section.

He's a quality guitarist.  I'll revisit it again and post some more thoughts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1183 on: October 12, 2020, 08:34:43 PM »
I've never followed up on anything else he's done. Not sure if anyone can recommend something.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: October 12, 2020, 09:02:31 PM »
I've never followed up on anything else he's done. Not sure if anyone can recommend something.

Nothing really that would interest you I don't think mate.  The Ring of Fire album he did with Boals and Donati I really rate though, The Oracle it's called.  I don't think any of his instrumental stuff would interest you.  I really wish he did more band stuff like The Oracle and this Mogg album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1185 on: October 12, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »

Nothing really that would interest you I don't think mate.  The Ring of Fire album he did with Boals and Donati I really rate though, The Oracle it's called.

Is that George Bellas on that? Huh.

I'll dig into it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: October 12, 2020, 09:07:56 PM »

Nothing really that would interest you I don't think mate.  The Ring of Fire album he did with Boals and Donati I really rate though, The Oracle it's called.

Is that George Bellas on that? Huh.

I'll dig into it.

Yeah.  Not sure why TMac didn't record with them on that one truthfully.  it's some nice neoclassical power metal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1187 on: October 12, 2020, 09:13:43 PM »
From this in1997:

To this:

Looks like he's on the JP Program! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: October 12, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »
 :o I've never seen that pic before.  :lol

No wonder he hasn't been releasing many albums! lol.  I thought it was George Lynch on first glance.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1189 on: October 12, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »
Man, what a difference Dunbar makes! Listening to Gravy Train made me have to post about him. I'm familiar with him as he is prolific and I do have the first 3 Journey records from the pre-Perry days and, of course, Schenker's Adventures album.

Oh, I just saw he plays on Covenant and Sharks. Okay, looking forward to those as well.

EDIT: Finished the album. Yeah, this is a keeper. Some nice riffage from Bellas and Dunbar kills it. Bellas certainly fits that Shrapnel mold.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:55:03 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history