Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142634 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Walk On Water
« Reply #1120 on: October 08, 2020, 07:26:21 PM »
So I freaking love Walk On Water. It was way better than I was expecting. Hearing the shows from the '93 reunion shows didn't do much for me, other than hearing a quasi Strangers setlist.
These songs really sounded fresh to me. And Schenker is amazing on this album. UFO really brought out the best in him, as both Walk On Water and Covenant are miles better guitarwise and songwise than the Schenker solo stuff from this time period.

On a personal note, 1995 was a rough year for me. My marriage was ending, and I spent the second half of that summer looking for an apartment. Walk On Water was my ride to work music almost exclusively. I really lost myself in Phil Mogg's lyrical world and Michael's compositions were comforting and refreshing.

I have always skipped Knock Knock, but the other tracks are all fantastic.

I think on a lot of days, I might even like Covenant more, but Walk On Water is indeed soul music to me. As much as I love everything UFO, this story simply cannot be told without Michael Schenker as his music is really God-ly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: October 08, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »
  Shenkers tone all over this is incredible.

I like how he does so many different...not sure if techniques is the right word, but he does so many different things in most of the songs. Has very layered parts. It's one of the things that I've always thought was cool about him. He sort of composes, as opposed to writing and playing. His parts are composed. Layered with acoustic, electric chords, lead notes. Please forgive the novice terminology.

There were a few things that stood out in regards to Shenker on this one.  I'll do some running comments as I listen again tomorrow morning.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: October 08, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »
On a personal note, 1995 was a rough year for me. My marriage was ending, and I spent the second half of that summer looking for an apartment. Walk On Water was my ride to work music almost exclusively. I really lost myself in Phil Mogg's lyrical world and Michael's compositions were comforting and refreshing.

Oh wow, that's rough mate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1123 on: October 08, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »

I met my current wife AKA The Lovely Mrs TAC on January 20, 1996. I remember the date because I saw Ozzy that night. :lol

But if you would've told me 6 months earlier that that would even be possible, I'd have never believed you.

But between Walk On Water and Awake, they kept me going.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1124 on: October 08, 2020, 08:21:28 PM »
Listening now, and I love the keyboard track in Dreaming Of Summer.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: October 08, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »

I met my current wife AKA The Lovely Mrs TAC on January 20, 1996.
I remember the date because I saw Ozzy that night. :lol

But if you would've told me 6 months earlier that that would even be possible, I'd have never believed you.

A definite upgrade mate.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1126 on: October 08, 2020, 09:05:05 PM »
Hell fucking yes!! :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1127 on: October 08, 2020, 09:48:14 PM »
 Walk on Water is a vey good album. The best album since Obsession for me. I haven’t listened to it in a while, but am looking forward to giving it a listen tomorrow.

TAC, I had no idea that Schenker later did two more albums with UFO until you mentioned it earlier in the thread.  :o

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1128 on: October 09, 2020, 06:04:19 AM »

I met my current wife AKA The Lovely Mrs TAC on January 20, 1996. I remember the date because I saw Ozzy that night. :lol

These are the things that cement certain bands and albums in our souls.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1129 on: October 09, 2020, 06:27:59 AM »
TAC, happy to know that things in his personal life ended up changing for the better, after a difficult period ... (just curious, had you ever told your wife why you remember the first day you met? Women LOVE that kind of association... :lol)
As for Andy's drums, I really think that, on Walk on Water, he's playing more straight than usual. He used to fill the drum arrangements with some tons and more drum fills, which made them more interesting. Yes, Nevison's production lacks some punch on drums which it could help.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1130 on: October 09, 2020, 09:28:03 AM »
So I had to step away from the party for a couple days (work) but I'm back.  I started this morning thinking I would salute Sir Edward, and listen to VHIII.  I made it halfway through Josephina, said "life's too fucking short" and now I'm listening to Walk On Water.     

A Self Made Man:  That is quintessential UFO.   Great Mogg lyric that is WAY deeper than it seems on the surface (and far more conflicted than the title suggests), and firm forceful Schenker guitars.  Those legato phrases that he plays on the outro fade, I could listen to all day long...

Venus:  this is actually the song that got me to get this.  I bought a copy of Covenant, and it had a live bonus CD with Venus on it, and while Covenant took some time to sink in, that song grabbed me right away.  Loved the heavy guitar, but the use of acoustic on the verses, then the majestic keyboard phrase that set up Michael's SICK solo.   And for what it's worth, if you read that lyric closely, with the symbology of Venus (the god) and the emotion of the narrator, that is a WORLD CLASS lyric.  I'd put that right up there with any of the "great" rock lyricists.  Mogg delivers.

Pushed To The Limit:   A decent UFO song, which is to say still very good, but it sort of just maintains the status quo after  ASMM and Venus.    The solo is killer, though.   We're sort of three songs in and this sort of puts paid to any notions that anyone is phoning this in or doing it for the Benjamins.     Go back and listen to that solo at 3:00; short but sweet.  I'll wait until you come back.... ;)

Stopped By A Bullet (Of Love):  the title is enough to get you poised to skip, but the song so far eclipses it, it's not funny.   The intro sounds almost Frippian (yes, Robert Fripp) and I'm pretty sure the rhythm throughout the song is acoustic guitar, with a little electric sprinkled in the back for depth (the solo and harmony guitars are clearly electric).   "Dreaming Of Summer" is the centerpiece of the album, and the song that sticks with me, but this is probably my second favorite on the record.  "The Ballad of Arizona and Little Joe" I call it, and it's the perfect Mogg lyric, backed with a more varied and dimensional musical background than your standard '90's hard rock.   

TAC, not to get personal (and you do NOT have to answer), but I can certainly see how this album resonated for you, given your situation, and I would imagine this song might have been a big part of that as well. 

Darker Days:  Great melody, and great interplay between Mogg and Schenker.  It's getting stale saying it, but Schenker is on fire here.   I love how he's not following the melodies or the rhythm too directly, but elevates both so consistently.  He's really on another level here. 

Running On Empty: Another tune with an acoustic rhythmic base, but some stellar electric lead guitar.   I love the melody of this song, and lyrically this song may be the key to the album; I don't know if any or all of the album is autobiographical, but clearly, this song puts several others into a certain context.  This is a man that is restless and feeling desperate.

Knock, Knock: This is the only song that Schenker didn't help write, and while it's melodically strong - you'd expect nothing else from Pete Way - it's a shade... simplistic or straightforward compared to the other seven compositions, which all have a more orchestral feel to them.   Great solo, though, no question.

Dreaming Of Summer:  I'm not sure I can say enough about this tune.  Just the way it builds and moves and resolves, and builds and moves and resolves...  I love every part of it.  I think this is one of the better examples of Schenker not just complimenting, or setting the stage, for Mogg, but in fact speaking with him.   (I think) the lyrics are about a guy trapped in a cycle that he can't quite break out of, a seemingly endless circle of failure and despair, and the music reinforces that (the repeating nature of the arpeggios, in particular) then the one chorus in the middle - dreaming of summer - with the sort of symphonic bed of keyboards and guitar that underscores the wistful, unreal aspect of the "dream", then the immediate return of the repeating guitar, we're right back to the despair ("One big city smells like another...", and it ain't a good smell) then Mogg reinforces the idea by repeating the first verse again... right back where we started.      I don't know if they meant any of this, but I have to believe that Mogg did, and even if he didn't, I do, and it's testament to how this music can transport you.   

My copy has two remakes - Doctor, Doctor and Lights Out - as well as three songs from other "incarnations" of the players.  One Mogg/Way tune, one MSG song, and one "The Paul Raymond Project" song.   All unremarkable, other than the note that Mogg doesn't sound even a shade different in terms of the strength and quality of his voice now almost 20 years later.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1131 on: October 09, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »
TAC, happy to know that things in his personal life ended up changing for the better, after a difficult period ... (just curious, had you ever told your wife why you remember the first day you met? Women LOVE that kind of association... :lol)

Hah! Yes she knows, but the thing is, I went with a girl at work. It wasn't a date or anything. Just no one else wanted to go. My wife is not impressed. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: October 09, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »

Hah! Yes she knows, but the thing is, I went with a girl at work. It wasn't a date or anything. Just no one else wanted to go. My wife is not impressed. :lol

You devil!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: October 09, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
Was going to post some running comments on the album but been called into work this morning.  If I get home not too late this morning I'll post.

After two listens though, I'm not sure what I think on this one.  DOS is too good though.  That's a cracker of a tune.  I need a third listen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1134 on: October 09, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »

TAC, not to get personal (and you do NOT have to answer), but I can certainly see how this album resonated for you, given your situation, and I would imagine this song might have been a big part of that as well. 

Yeah, I think I gave you some background a couple of years ago when I sent Anthrax in your roulette.

Getting Walk On Water was like one if the only good things to happen to me in 1995. It hit me kind of full circle. I alone fell in love with UFO, and at what was at that point a pretty low spot, BAM! UFO delivers this gift to me.

I spent many long rides with this person in high school, and she actually ended up liking the UFO a little. Never minded if I played them. But here I am with the amazing Walk ON Water, and I couldn't really share my joy about it. That whole time was a mind fuck.

But enough of that, it's all good!!

I bought a copy of Covenant, and it had a live bonus CD with Venus on it, and while Covenant took some time to sink in, that song grabbed me right away. 

I'm interested in how you came about buying Covenant. It was kind of a surprise release.

Dreaming Of Summer:  I'm not sure I can say enough about this tune.  Just the way it builds and moves and resolves, and builds and moves and resolves...  I love every part of it.  I think this is one of the better examples of Schenker not just complimenting, or setting the stage, for Mogg, but in fact speaking with him.   (I think) the lyrics are about a guy trapped in a cycle that he can't quite break out of, a seemingly endless circle of failure and despair, and the music reinforces that (the repeating nature of the arpeggios, in particular) then the one chorus in the middle - dreaming of summer - with the sort of symphonic bed of keyboards and guitar that underscores the wistful, unreal aspect of the "dream", then the immediate return of the repeating guitar, we're right back to the despair ("One big city smells like another...", and it ain't a good smell) then Mogg reinforces the idea by repeating the first verse again... right back where we started.      I don't know if they meant any of this, but I have to believe that Mogg did, and even if he didn't, I do, and it's testament to how this music can transport you.   

This has so much impact. It reinforces that he is in a daily struggle. But he's still facing it. It was cathartic for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1135 on: October 09, 2020, 04:39:02 PM »
My new shirt came!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1136 on: October 09, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »
Not to hop back too much (I got kicked off a jobsite for not having my mask all the way up over my nose...and was given a 4 day weekend.   :angry: )  but I was just playing a bit of catch up.   

I've been following this thread, but have not heard most of the material...so I've just been taking it in and maybe listening to a track or two on YT as I get the chance. 

But one album that I was very familiar with (or used to be) was Perfect Timing by MSG.     I was surprised to see it almost brushed aside.  I mean, ya...it was hair metal...but it was a product of its time.   And personally, I felt like it was one of the better examples of the genre.  I was mostly into thrash by the time this came out in '87, but I occasionally kept tabs on a few of the more talented in the hair metal category.   I think I heard Gimmie Your Love on Z-Rock (which was on AM in Seattle...so it sucked not hearing it in stereo), and in spite of my poor reception, I could tell that the original had a pretty bombastic production.    So I picked up the cassette, and I remember quite enjoying rocking out to that album.   I haven't heard it in YEARS.   Traded in my cassettes 30 years ago, and PT was just something I never replaced.   I think I even remember reading that it was out of print for a long time. 

But I'm listening to it now on YT and it does bring back good memories.    Although it definitely sounds more dated now than it did when I was 18.   Get Out still smokes.   I quite like Don't Stop Me Now as well.   And even the big hit Gimmie Your Love is just as much fun as when I heard it the first time.  (EDIT - Adding Love Is Not a Game as a song from this album I absolutely LOVE)

For as much of an ego as Michael has a reputation for having, I'm a bit surprised that he was willing to even change the MSG name to suit the new guy.    I mean, he hadn't had a very good track record with singers, so there must have been something special about Robin that made him think it was worth it. 

Also, Robin has a GREAT voice and I'm surprised he never moved on to bigger and better things.   But his hair on that first album is ridiculous.   Even when I bought the album I couldn't believe how stupid that hair looked.   But his voice won me over. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1137 on: October 09, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »
Additionally, as I was finishing the album, I felt like there was something more familiar about it than just remembering the album, and then it hit me. It reminds me of a really great Dokken album, but with a better singer. A lot of the main riffs and the production itself just screams George Lynch to me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1138 on: October 09, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »
I appreciate your input, Ben! Fell free to drop a post anytime. You add value to any music conversation.

It's great that you have fond memories of Perfect Timing. Me? I just remember being disappointed.

But hell yes Robin has an amazing voice.

Other than classic Dokken, I can't really comment on George Lynch. He has never made music that interested me.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1139 on: October 09, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »
My new shirt came!!!

Hey TAC, I had that exact same t-shirt in the 80s! Pretty sure I still have it sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1140 on: October 09, 2020, 07:22:40 PM »
Today I listened to Walk on Water for the first time in a few years. Phi’s voice just seems to be even more emotive when he is singing over Schenker’s melodies. WOW really is a good album, with Running on Empty and Dreaming of Summer being my favourites.

I generally am not a fan of bands re-recording their own songs, but was happy with the new versions of Doctor Doctor and Lights Out on WOW.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: October 09, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »
Killer shirt Tim.

Third listen of Walk on Water was better again.  Will still post my song thoughts probably tomorrow night now.  Don't move too fast Tim!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1142 on: October 09, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »
  Don't move too fast Tim!

No worries. Might add the next Schenker album on Sunday...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: October 09, 2020, 07:36:18 PM »
  Don't move too fast Tim!

No worries. Might add the next Schenker album on Sunday...

I'll be caught up by then.  Don't see me listening to the whole acoustic albums though.

I will say, I LOVE the Doctor Doctor remake.  Love Shenkers extra fills throughout.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1144 on: October 09, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »
Don't worry about skipping it. There's three more to come! :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: October 09, 2020, 09:14:23 PM »
I must say, 4 acoustic albums for a guy like Shenker is impressive.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: October 11, 2020, 04:36:53 AM »
Okay, I'm finding myself playing Walk on Water a lot.  At first I was kind of meh about it, but it has a quality that just keeps dragging you in.  Shenkers tone is ridiculous and Phil sounds great.

A Self Made Man:  Here's a type of riff I thought I'd never hear on a UFO album, very heavy.  It's not as much as War Ensemble as I thought, but it still reminds me of it.  The verse is killer.  I LOVE that short riff at 0:46.  That is fucking awesome, great heavy subtle touch there.  Interesting chords structures by the sounds in the middle making it sound heavier again.  Love that Metallica riff in there too.  This song doesn't feel 6 and a half minutes long.  Love the freeness of the outro solo, Shenker loves that Dorian mode and a few licks here remind me of the outro of Desert Song.  Great opening track.

Venus:  I really like this one.  Love the mix of electric and acoustic guitars.  Great vocal melodies on this one too.  That key chage into 1:59 is fantastic and I love Shenkers melody behind Phils vocals, that's awesome.  Shenker absolutely destroys on the solos here, fuck it's good.  The solo parts actually remind me of the band Nightingale.  Great track.

Pushed to the Limit:  This one has grown on me.  I really love the simplicity of the riff to be honest.  Almost Black Sabbath like but in a more up uptempo form.  The solos absolultely slay.  This is the closest to actually shredding I've heard from Shenker.  So Joe Satriani, think Summer Song.  Short solos too but so effective.  This also reminds me of more the type of music they would do later with Vinnie.

Stopped By A Bullet:  This style normally isn't for me, but I can appreciate it here.  The key change into the verse is a nice touch and pricks the ears right away.  The 'stopped by a bullet' line in there is melodic and gets you singing.  That main riff listening now gives me a Tea Party feel too.  Listen to 3:52 of this one too.  Shenker steals a Chapman type lick.

Darker Days:  That crunch is nice and this one has a nice swagger.  To be hoenst, I didn't expect the melodies Phil sings here after the main riff, but it sucks you in and gets you bobbing.  Shenker is all over this one, love the fills.  I really really love the chorus, the key change again shifts it and takes the song higher, love that chorus.  You just gotta love Shenker on this one.  A lot of freestyle improv at the end.  Likes he's dancing over the rhythm with his leads, really good.

Running On Empty:  Seems like they borrowed a few things for this one from earlier songs.  Again, not normally my thing.  The whole bluesy rock vibe is hard for me to lock into.  It's okay though.  The part I love though is Shenkers acoustic melodies in the middle, beautiful.  Reminds me of some from Dickinson.  Something from Accident of Birth or something.

Knock Knock:  Stock riff here but it screams UFO, especially in that drumbeat for me.  It's fine though, I don't mind it.  That section at 1:51 is really excellent.  Again, Shenker with those melodies behind just sound lovely.  Love Shenkers solo afterwards too.  Keeps it more metal as opposed to blues licks which is a great contrast.

Dreaming of Summer: WOW, WOW, WOW!!  What a well written beautiful tune.  Here's some lyrics that prick my ears.  Phil does seem like a masterful lyric writer.  The Love to Love rip at the start I actually don't mind.  The verses give off a perfect visual of the lryrics, the atmosphere is awesome.  That 'when it comes right down to it,' small section at the end of the stanza is so good.  Fuck that chorus though, so good.  And Phil, damn, his lower register is so emotive and touching, beautiful.  Shenker's fills on the second time through are so damn good.  The lead afterwards, nothing fast, nothing flashy but almost makes you cry.  This guy knows how to write a melody on his guitar.  The key change to 4:22, hot damn, that's one of the best things I've ever heard.  The interplay between Phil and Shenker is so good.  The key change back and then Shenker's acoustic again is amazing.  That riff afterwards (main verse riff) actually reminds me of Fates Warning.  Great outro and gives you a perpetual feel like he can never get that lucky break or job to change everything for him and his misses.  Shenkers soloing gives off that frustration also with not being able to get that lucky change.  I'll have to see what's going on here musically, it's very cool.  The lyrical content of this one also reminds me heavily of You and Me, somewhat similar concept.

Great album, looking foward to the next two.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 07:06:13 AM by wolfking »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1147 on: October 11, 2020, 05:49:40 PM »
Stopped By A Bullet:  This style normally isn't for me, but I can appreciate it here.  The key change into the verse is a nice touch and pricks the ears right away.  The 'stopped by a bullet' line in there is melodic and gets you singing.  That main riff listening now gives me a Tea Party feel too.  Listen to 3:52 of this one too.  Shenker steals a Chapman type lick.

Hah! Totally!

Darker Days:  That crunch is nice and this one has a nice swagger.  To be hoenst, I didn't expect the melodies Phil sings here after the main riff, but it sucks you in and gets you bobbing.  Shenker is all over this one, love the fills.  I really really love the chorus, the key change again shifts it and takes the song higher, love that chorus.  You just gotta love Shenker on this one.  A lot of freestyle improv at the end.  Likes he's dancing over the rhythm with his leads, really good.

Obviously Dreaming Of Summer and A Self Made Man deservedly get most of the accolades, but the real gem here is Darker Days. It could've easily come right off of Obsession, especially the way Schenker is in and out throughout the whole tune. And yes, that uplift in the chorus is glorious. I love what Schenker does in the bridge right after Phil sings "..little drops of rain."

Dreaming of Summer: WOW, WOW, WOW!!  What a well written beautiful tune.  Here's some lyrics that prick my ears.  Phil does seem like a masterful lyric writer.  The Love to Love rip at the start I actually don't mind.  The verses give off a perfect visual of the lryrics, the atmosphere is awesome.  That 'when it comes right down to it,' small section at the end of the stanza is so good.  Fuck that chorus though, so good.  And Phil, damn, his lower register is so emotive and touching, beautiful.  Shenker's fills on the second time through are so damn good.  The lead afterwards, nothing fast, nothing flashy but almost makes you cry.  This guy knows how to write a melody on his guitar.  The key change to 4:22, hot damn, that's one of the best things I've ever heard.  The interplay between Phil and Shenker is so good.  The key change back and then Shenker's acoustic again is amazing.  That riff afterwards (main verse riff) actually reminds me of Fates Warning.  Great outro and gives you a perpetual feel like he can never get that lucky break or job to change everything for him and his misses.  Shenkers soloing gives off that frustration also with not being able to get that lucky change.  I'll have to see what's going on here musically, it's very cool.  The lyrical content of this one also reminds me heavily of You and Me, somewhat similar concept.

Great writeup of this great tune. You nailed it on every point. The outro solo is filled with tension, which plays the exact opposite if the guitars underneath.

Venus is the song that remains a mainstay in UFO's set. Michael would sometimes add Pushed To The Limit to his setlist.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1148 on: October 11, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
Okay, I'm finding myself playing Walk on Water a lot.  At first I was kind of meh about it, but it has a quality that just keeps dragging you in.  Shenkers tone is ridiculous and Phil sounds great.

It's an odd pairing, but they really bring out the best in each other. Especially for Schenker. Walk On Water and Covenant are in another league than the two MSG albums released between them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1149 on: October 11, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »
Written In The Sand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bilt-VR3AM0

Released August 26, 1996

1. Brave New World
2. Cry No More
3. I Believe
4. Back To Life
5. Written In The Sand
6. Essenz
7. Love Never Dies
8. I Will Be There
9.  Take Me Through The Night
10. Down The Drain
11. Sweet Cold Kiss Of Night

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Leif Sundin-Vocals
Barry Sparks-Bass
Shane Gaalaas-Drums

After the abrupt conclusion of UFO's US '95 tour, Michael reemerges with a revamped MSG. The rhythm section of Barry Sparks and Shane Gaalaas would feature prominently over the next few years in the UFO/Schenker orbit.

There's a few videos from the Chicago '96 show. David Van Landing joins the band for the tour.
Here is Lost Horizons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYKiHlpHIAw

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1150 on: October 11, 2020, 06:52:01 PM »
No budget for artwork, huh? That's the pic they go with for the back? Whole thing looks like it was done by a graphics art student who was just learning Photoshop. Never heard of that label either.

Sorry, those were just the first thoughts the crossed my mind seeing that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1151 on: October 11, 2020, 06:57:48 PM »
No budget for artwork, huh? That's the pic they go with for the back? Whole thing looks like it was done by a graphics art student who was just learning Photoshop.

:lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: October 11, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »
No budget for artwork, huh? That's the pic they go with for the back? Whole thing looks like it was done by a graphics art student who was just learning Photoshop. Never heard of that label either.

Sorry, those were just the first thoughts the crossed my mind seeing that.

You're not wrong though.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: October 11, 2020, 07:44:43 PM »
I also thought the album cover looked really low budget.  Checking it out, Leif is a pretty good singer but not as good as Robin. What happened between Michael and Robin?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1154 on: October 11, 2020, 07:50:47 PM »

There's a few videos from the Chicago '96 show. David Van Landing joins the band for the tour.
Here is Lost Horizons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYKiHlpHIAw

I won't swear to it, but I think this might have been the lineup that I seen a few years later in Columbus, Ohio at the Alrosa Villa. I want to say that they were calling it "The Michael Schenker Life" tour, or something along those lines. Oddly enough, Vinnie Moore was the opener and he used the same band as MS. His set was completely instrumental.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again