Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 73703 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: 2020 MLB Thread
« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2020, 10:40:04 PM »
Yep, same inconsistent Dodgers.    ::)
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
Yep, same inconsistent Dodgers.    ::)

Same organizational philosophy that just doesn't work well in the postseason.  A HUGE segment of the fan base is, predictably, calling for Dave Roberts to be fired, but it starts higher up than that.  As much success as this team has had since the current ownership group bought the team, it's unthinkable that it hasn't had been better in the postseason.  Pretty much everyone from Friedman on down needs to go, OR someone with an old-school baseball philosophy needs to be put in a position to check and balance Friedman.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dparrott

« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
I call them the San Jose Sharks of MLB.  Crashing and burning every postseason.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2020, 11:49:38 PM »
Well the Dodgers stay alive again!   :metal :metal :metal And the Asstros are done!!!  :lol  If the Dodgers don't get to the WS at least that happened.

This is the first LCS where all teams are from the southern US.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #284 on: October 19, 2020, 10:33:06 AM »
Well the Dodgers stay alive again!   :metal :metal :metal And the Asstros are done!!!  :lol  If the Dodgers don't get to the WS at least that happened.

This is the first LCS where all teams are from the southern US.

I guess it depends on how you define "southern," but there are currently nine teams located south of the mid-point of the continental United States (approx 36o 57' latitude), and there have been three prior LCSs involving two of those teams:

2001 NLCS - Arizona v. Atlanta
1998 NLCS - St. Diego v. Atlanta
1997 NLCS - Florida v. Atlanta

If you define "southern" to mean the 15 most southern MLB teams, then the number goes up significantly.

Also, that was a heck of a game last night (although I'm sure Atlanta fans would disagree, and I'm biased)!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dparrott

« Reply #285 on: October 19, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
Yea but this time BOTH championship series had southern teams.  In the past there has been at least one team in the northern US like NY, Chicago, Cleveland, SF, etc.

I was so negative about the Dodgers this whole season based on their past postseasons and preparing myself to be let down again.  But damn it they did it!  Defense came up big time and Atlanta made some mistakes.  Gonna be a good WS.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #286 on: October 19, 2020, 12:29:36 PM »
Someone should figure out a way to make this the new MLB logo!

Or this...

I love that he's got his tongue sticking out!

Atlanta made some mistakes.

They sure did.  Ozuna leaving the base early the other night.  In the span of 3-4 pitches, there was a two run swing (between Ozuna being called out and Seager leading off the next inning with a dinger).

And that second and third play last night was ridiculous.  Why Swanson was going on contact with nobody out is beyond me.  He had tons of time to get back to third because Turner was well off the bag.  And then Riley hesitating between second and third.  What the hell was that?  At that point, the worst case scenario for the Braves should have been one out with runners at first and third.  Inexcusable baserunning.  Not that I'm not happy about it!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: October 20, 2020, 08:13:35 PM »
Hope you LA guys are loving Mookie.

The kid is an amazing player. I freaking loved him here. Too bad he wanted to play somewhere else. At least I can say it never affected the way he played or his efforts in the community.

He was a pure joy to watch, and still is.

Hah, and on cue, Mookie hits a homah!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:31:12 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #288 on: October 21, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »
Hope you LA guys are loving Mookie.

The kid is an amazing player. I freaking loved him here. Too bad he wanted to play somewhere else. At least I can say it never affected the way he played or his efforts in the community.

He was a pure joy to watch, and still is.

Everyone on sports talk radio masturbates on the air to the wonder that is Mookie pretty much every 15 minutes.  I was watching the postgame news conference last night, and pretty much every Dodger player that came up got asked, "What's it like being on the same field as the wonder that is Mookie?  Do you feel completely unworthy when you are in the Mook's presence?  Do you want to kill yourself for not even being 1/10th of the player the great Mook is?"  It's getting to be a little much, and I really want someone to start responding to some of these dumbass questions with some syrupy sarcasm.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: October 21, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
Post game questions usually blow.

The guy is getting a lot of hype for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #290 on: October 21, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
I can't even watch the stuff with Mr. J-Lo in the studio.  He ruined Jessica Mendoza when he took over after Aaron Boone left Sunday Night Baseball, and now he's doing his best to make David Ortiz and Frank Thomas seem like buffoons.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #291 on: October 21, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »
David Ortiz is a buffoon.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #292 on: October 21, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
Damn right we're loving Mookie!!! He's saved our asses on multiple occasions. Plus he's a fun dude, good attitude.  He's becoming a favorite player of mine.

Word is the Rays offense is weak, relying on a few big hits and their pitching.  I think the Dodgers can finally win it all!!

I like Ortiz, he's a goofball.  Not everyone in sports has to be a stiff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: October 21, 2020, 06:16:54 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Ortiz personally. But holy shit was that dude clutch.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2020, 10:33:50 AM »
Word is the Rays offense is weak, relying on a few big hits and their pitching.  I think the Dodgers can finally win it all!!

Kinda like last night (and I think that's also pretty descriptive of the Dodgers)....

Two home runs by a guy who entered the game hitting .107 with 1 HR and 3 RBI in the post season.  Yeesh...

I'm seriously questioning both Gonsolin and May as viable MLB pitchers at this point (which isn't to say they can't become viable players; just that they aren't there right now).

Fortunately, we have Buehler, Urias and Kershaw going in the next three games.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »
That's a perfect example of why the Dodgers can't win a WS.  Why the freak is Roberts putting Jansen in a one run game????

And Kershaw is pitching tomorrow.  He pitched well in game 1 so he's due to blow it in game 5. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2020, 06:47:22 AM »
If you’ve never heard Brett Phillips laugh before, you owe it to yourself to look it up.  One of the greatest things ever.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #297 on: October 25, 2020, 10:24:13 AM »
That's a perfect example of why the Dodgers can't win a WS.  Why the freak is Roberts putting Jansen in a one run game????

And Kershaw is pitching tomorrow.  He pitched well in game 1 so he's due to blow it in game 5.

Come on....  That was NOT on Jansen.  He broke Kiermaier's bat on a nasty pitch.  It was pure luck that the ball made it over the infield.  He pitched Arozarena perfectly, and Phillips beat the percentages.  NO WAY Taylor should have tried to field the ball the way he did, and Smith should have caught the throw from Muncy.  Who was the better option than Jansen?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2020, 10:34:41 AM »

Come on....  That was NOT on Jansen.  He broke Kiermaier's bat on a nasty pitch.  It was pure luck that the ball made it over the infield.  He pitched Arozarena perfectly, and Phillips beat the percentages.  NO WAY Taylor should have tried to field the ball the way he did, and Smith should have caught the throw from Muncy.  Who was the better option than Jansen?
Don't forget that Jansen didn't back up home plate for some reason on that last play.

It always makes me smile when the Dodgers make such silly mistakes in the playoffs and then lose. :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
Don't forget that Jansen didn't back up home plate for some reason on that last play.

So what?  Even if he had responsibility to back up the plate, he wouldn't have been anywhere near where the ball ended up when Smith botched it.  And, even if he had been near where the ball went, the chances that he could have picked it up and thrown it to Smith in time to tag Arozarena.  I can excuse Smith slightly because he didn't know Arozarena had slipped and thought he was going to have to try and make a quick tag.  Taylor acted like he thought he had a chance of getting Arozarena going from first to third, which wasn't realistic.

But...the Dodgers had a great bounce back game yesterday.  Hopefully they can close it out tomorrow and help keep my blood pressure in control.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #300 on: October 26, 2020, 12:53:17 PM »
That's always been the Dodgers problem: lack of reliable relievers.  I guess Jansen was the best choice, and yea it's not all on him.

And Kershaw was a base hit away from another disaster last night.  Getting that dude stealing home saved his ass.  Not confident in Gonsolin going next, but there's no one else.  If only David Price was playing!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #301 on: October 26, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
And Kershaw was a base hit away from another disaster last night.  Getting that dude stealing home saved his ass.  Not confident in Gonsolin going next, but there's no one else.  If only David Price was playing!!!

Just as you can say Kershaw was a base hit away from another disaster, you can also point out that Jansen was two inches away from a 1-2-3 inning and a save to put the Dodgers up 3-1.

Glad you brought up the attempted steal of home!

I honestly think that was a great attempt by Margot.  Watching that play unfold, you think, "how could they possibly throw him out?"  In a postgame interview, Kershaw mentioned that this wasn't the first time someone has tried that against him, so the Dodger first basemen know ahead of time to give Kershaw a heads up so he can do exactly what he did:  step off without balking and get the runner at home.  It actually wasn't a great throw; it was high and outside, and Austin Barnes did a GREAT job catching the ball (ahem, Will Smith), securing it with two hands, and applying the tag.  Of course, a better throw from Kershaw makes the play less close, but if Barnes isn't perfect, Margot scores.

Doing some reading this morning, I learned that Jackie Robinson's famous steal in the 1955 Word Series remains the last successful straight steal of home in a World Series.  I also learned that there have been only four other successful steals of home in the WS.  In 1951, Monte Irvin of the Giants stole home against Allie Reynolds of the Yankees.  This happened during Bobby Thomson's first at-bat following the "shot heard 'round the world" the day before.  This was a particularly impressive feat given that Reynolds was a righty, although he did pitch from a wind-up.  Prior to that, Bob Meusel and Mike McNally of the Yankees did it in the 1921 WS, and Ty Cobb did it in 1909.

Others have stolen home as part of a double steal  The most recent such occurrence was Brad Fullmer of the Angels in 2002.  Even noted speedster Tim McCarver did it (in the 1964 WS against the Yankees)!

The most recent UNsuccessful* attempt to steal home on a straight steal was by Lonnie Smith in 1982 with Don Sutton on the mound (like Allie Reynolds, Sutton was a righty throwing out of a wind-up).  Billy Martin was caught trying to steal home in the same 1955 game in which Robinson accomplished the feat.  I think it was mentioned on the broadcast last night that Shane Mack of the Twins was caught stealing on an unsuccessful suicide squeeze against John Smoltz and the Braves in 1991.

* - Even the 38 year old replays clearly show that Smith was safe.

I think what I'm happiest about (aside from the win, obviously) is that, assuming he doesn't pitch again, Kershaw will finish the Series with a 2-0 record, a 2.31 ERA, 14 strikeouts, and the all-time record for postseason strikeouts (although record is of questionable significance since it was accomplished in an era with three playoff rounds (and even more this year)).**

** - Kershaw has a strikeout rate of 1.095 K/9 IP (207K over 189.0 IP).  This rate still puts him ahead of the next five pitchers on the list:

Verlander - 1.092 (205K over 187.2 IP)
Smoltz - 0.952 (199K over 209.0 IP)
Pettitte - 0.661 (183K over 276.2 IP)
Clemens - 0.869 (173K over 199.0 IP)

Among starters, Max Scherzer seems to have the best all-time postseason K9:  1.223 (137K over 112.0 IP).

I couldn't find a list of postseason strikeout leaders that went past #10, so I randomly looked up some older guys to check their rates.  Sandy Koufax had 61K over 57.0 postseason IP for a rate of 1.070.  Bob Gibson had 92K over 81.0 IP for a rate of 1.136.  Whitey Ford had 94K over 146.0 IP  for a rate of 0.644.

Among relievers, Aroldis Chapman has a ridiculous rate of 1.500 (62K over 41.1 IP).  Mariano Rivera, by contrast, had a rate of 0.780 (110K over 141.0 IP).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:06:34 PM by pg1067 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #302 on: October 27, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »
If only David Price was playing!!!

Hah! Fuck him the fucking douche.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: October 27, 2020, 08:30:42 PM »
WTF??

Cash taking Snell out was akin to Roberts taking Rich Hill out against the Sox in 2018.

Thinking too much??

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: October 27, 2020, 08:32:45 PM »
WTF??

Cash taking Snell out was akin to Roberts taking Rich Hill out against the Sox in 2018.

Thinking too much??
Yeah that was the worst move I've seen in a long time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: October 27, 2020, 08:39:02 PM »
Now if the Rays had an offense other than Randy Arozarena.....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: October 27, 2020, 08:41:18 PM »

That dude is awesome!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: October 27, 2020, 08:47:34 PM »

That dude is awesome!
Indeed. And he's been carrying the Rays offense the whole post-season.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: October 27, 2020, 11:08:11 PM »
Congrats Dodgers!!!!!!  Well done!!!!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #309 on: October 28, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
Justin Turner is a douchebag.

Gets pulled from the game due to a positive test then returns to the field to celebrate.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #310 on: October 28, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »
Justin Turner is a douchebag.

Gets pulled from the game due to a positive test then returns to the field to celebrate.

:tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

What difference does it make?  He was in the dugout with everyone all game long.  And his teammates didn't seem to object.

WTF??

Thinking too much??
Yeah that was the worst move I've seen in a long time.

I honestly cannot recall dumber managerial move.  Taking out Hill in game 4 in '18 was not great, but he wasn't dealing anything close to what Snell was doing, he had thrown 91 pitches, and it was the seventh inning with a runner already on base.  My son and I were just looking at each other saying, "are they seriously taking him out?!"  We were happy as can be.

The MVP of that game was the Dodgers bullpen.  Gonsolin was expectedly awful, but the bullpen pitched 7.1 innings, gave up only 2 hits and no walks, and had a dozen strikeouts.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #311 on: October 28, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »
Yeah - I really had a WTF moment when Snell got pulled. From what I heard, they were playing the analytics game where Snell breaks down the more hits the other team gets on him. But he his fastball was averaging 95mph and he only threw 73 pitches I believe and how many strikeouts did he have? 7?

Analytics has taken over the game but analytics got Tampa to the Series. They stuck with the script and the analytics came up and bit him in the arse. Should have gone with his (and everyone watching the game) gut and kept him in there. I had no dog in the hunt but I was pissed because it looked like we were going to get a game 7.

Oh well, now the 2 teams can say hello to the covids.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #312 on: October 28, 2020, 01:08:48 PM »
Yeah - I really had a WTF moment when Snell got pulled. From what I heard, they were playing the analytics game where Snell breaks down the more hits the other team gets on him. But he his fastball was averaging 95mph and he only threw 73 pitches I believe and how many strikeouts did he have? 7?

Analytics has taken over the game but analytics got Tampa to the Series. They stuck with the script and the analytics came up and bit him in the arse. Should have gone with his (and everyone watching the game) gut and kept him in there. I had no dog in the hunt but I was pissed because it looked like we were going to get a game 7.

Snell had 9K when he was pulled.

In his postgame interview, Kevin Cash explained that he simply didn't want Betts and Seager to get a third shot at Snell.  Of course, the Dodgers 1-3 hitters (Betts, Seager and Turner) were 0-6 against Snell with 6 strikeouts.

Given that Turner's diagnosis likely would have delayed a game 7 by at least a few days, it's definitely good for MLB that there won't be a game 7.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #313 on: October 28, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »

Snell had 9K when he was pulled.

In his postgame interview, Kevin Cash explained that he simply didn't want Betts and Seager to get a third shot at Snell.  Of course, the Dodgers 1-3 hitters (Betts, Seager and Turner) were 0-6 against Snell with 6 strikeouts.

Given that Turner's diagnosis likely would have delayed a game 7 by at least a few days, it's definitely good for MLB that there won't be a game 7.

Good point

Offline dparrott

« Reply #314 on: October 28, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »
I was so negative about this team waiting for them to choke again as in the past.  I can't believe they actually did it!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal 

So glad Kershaw got a ring.  He's probably done now.  We got our new ace Buehler.  Urias was a unexpected stud.  Mookie did his job to get us the chip!  So many players did their parts too.

And for once the OTHER manager screwed up!  :lol  And I can't believe our pen did so well.

Now the only major sport playing is NFL.  Feels weird.