Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 71928 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: 2021 MLB Thread
« Reply #385 on: March 24, 2021, 03:57:33 PM »
20 years ago today.....

https://youtu.be/1PyCpG06138

Exhibit A of why left handed batters wanted no part of the Big Unit. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #386 on: March 24, 2021, 05:10:34 PM »
20 years ago today.....

I had no idea what this was going to be when I clicked on it.  What a 1 in a billion thing.  Am I correct in recalling that some animal rights group feigned outrage?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #387 on: March 24, 2021, 05:30:39 PM »
20 years ago today.....

I miss Randy Johnson. One of the very best and most intimidating pitchers I ever got to see.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #388 on: March 24, 2021, 07:30:36 PM »
20 years ago today.....

I had no idea what this was going to be when I clicked on it.  What a 1 in a billion thing.  Am I correct in recalling that some animal rights group feigned outrage?

Imagine if that happened today.  You'd probably have animal rights activists shouting on Twitter for MLB to ban Randy Johnson from the sport.  :lol :lol :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: March 24, 2021, 07:49:32 PM »
People remember "The Double" and the image of a smiling Griffey on the bottom of the pile, but we cannot diminish Johnson's role in saving baseball in Seattle. This was a franchise that had 2 decades of nothing to celebrate, and yet for that one game playoff, we knew we were going to beat the Angels, because Johnson was starting. There was no way anyone was going to beat him that day. Similarly when he came out of the pen in game 5 against NYY, we knew we were going to win that series.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #390 on: March 24, 2021, 10:16:59 PM »
People remember "The Double" and the image of a smiling Griffey on the bottom of the pile, but we cannot diminish Johnson's role in saving baseball in Seattle. This was a franchise that had 2 decades of nothing to celebrate, and yet for that one game playoff, we knew we were going to beat the Angels, because Johnson was starting. There was no way anyone was going to beat him that day. Similarly when he came out of the pen in game 5 against NYY, we knew we were going to win that series.
I may go to a baseball game every five years or so. Don't much care for the game, but I enjoy the experience. Back in the early 90s I was working in a warehouse and came down with a case of Spring fever. Perfect Dallas weather and unworthy of arduous labor when there were better things to do. About noon I told my boss I didn't feel well and was heading home. Called up a friend and went out to see Kevin Brown facing Randy Johnson at the newly opened Ballpark in a rare afternoon game. Great game. We seldom have day games here, and it was on a weekday, so there weren't all that many people around. Managed to scheme our way to about 10th row behind home plate for a few innings to see them really pitch. I remember that they both went into the 9th, where Brown got yanked and TBU was relieved by the closer. One of those things I'm really glad I did and still remember fondly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2021, 10:29:07 AM »

I don't know how old it is, but over the offseason, I caught an MLB Network documentary about the 1995 Mariners, and that documentary very definitely highlights Johnson's role in saving baseball in Seattle.  If you haven't seen it, you should seek it out.  It's well done (the fact that it kept my interest when I couldn't really give a rip about the Mariners is a testament to that).

Also, here's me with the Bigger Unit at a Dodgers v. D-Backs game in 2017:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 10:41:03 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2021, 11:27:09 AM »
I haven't seen it but heard it is really good. I did live it in real time, though sadly I had other issues on my mind that pushed sports to the back burner. Incidentally I was in college in VA at the time and watched that one game playoff by myself because no one in VA gave a crap about a game between Seattle and Anaheim.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2021, 08:14:18 PM »
I've seen that documentary. It's real good.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #394 on: March 30, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »
Heading down to San Diego this weekend with the son and will be attending the Diamondbacks v. Padres game on Saturday.  It's not the Dodgers, but I'm kinda stoked for my first live sporting event since spring training last year!  And, it'll be my first trip to Petco Park.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2021, 03:01:33 PM »
Happy Opening Day!

Go Brewers!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: April 01, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Was wondering if anyone was going to post here today.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #397 on: April 01, 2021, 03:24:02 PM »
The Sox were postponed so at least they didn稚 lose.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #398 on: April 01, 2021, 03:51:48 PM »
I'm following the Dodgers game on ESPN Gamecast, and the Rockies scored their first run as a partial result of the following:  "Owings tripled to pitcher."  How the heck does that work?

And that's not the weirdest play of the game.  Justin Turner was on first and Cody Bellinger hit a homer to left field.  Turner got confused and thought the outfielder caught the ball, so he started sprinting back to first.  As a result, Bellinger passed turner on the base path and was called out (and credited with a single and an RBI).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #399 on: April 01, 2021, 04:37:12 PM »
Brewers score three in the 9th to tie and win it in 10.

Yay!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #400 on: April 01, 2021, 06:35:52 PM »
I'm following the Dodgers game on ESPN Gamecast, and the Rockies scored their first run as a partial result of the following:  "Owings tripled to pitcher."  How the heck does that work?

My guess is it ricocheted off the pitcher into no mans land.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: April 01, 2021, 07:26:41 PM »

My guess is it ricocheted off the pitcher into no mans land.

Probably a soft spot in a shift.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #402 on: April 04, 2021, 11:24:18 AM »
Heading down to San Diego this weekend with the son and will be attending the Diamondbacks v. Padres game on Saturday.  It's not the Dodgers, but I'm kinda stoked for my first live sporting event since spring training last year!  And, it'll be my first trip to Petco Park.

A few pics from this game yesterday.  GREAT ballpark.  If you're in San Diego, definitely check out a game (but be warned that parking in the area SUCKS).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #403 on: April 04, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »
The TACs went to a game there in 2019. What a nice stadium. I loved walking around and going out to the grassy area.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:57:36 PM by TAC »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #404 on: April 04, 2021, 11:31:21 AM »
The TACs went to a game there in 2019. What a nice stadium. I loved wanking around and going out to the grassy area.

Yeah.  We're in a hotel in the Gaslamp area -- maybe a half mile walk from the stadium.  I got there about an hour and a half before first pitch and just walked the whole stadium.  Really well done.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #405 on: April 04, 2021, 11:45:48 AM »
The TACs went to a game there in 2019. What a nice stadium. I loved wanking around and going out to the grassy area.

Yeah.  We're in a hotel in the Gaslamp area -- maybe a half mile walk from the stadium.  I got there about an hour and a half before first pitch and just walked the whole stadium.  Really well done.

Oh nice, so you're right downtown. We walked through there. We actually stayed north of the city in Escondito. We had Disney Vacation Points we had to use, but we stayed at the Lawrence Welk Resort. We were worried because it sounded hokey, but the place was amazing. Same for downtown Escondito.

We bought Go San Diego passes which got us admission into so many different places.

I took some shots at the game too!

Oh, and after missing the Sox' first two games because of work, I finally sit down to watch them today. They give up 3 runs in the top of the 1st, and last only 10 pitches in the bottom... WTF??

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: April 04, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »

Thank you for not posting pics of the wanking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #407 on: April 04, 2021, 12:57:12 PM »
 :lol  :facepalm:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #408 on: April 04, 2021, 07:08:44 PM »
Oh nice, so you're right downtown. We walked through there. We actually stayed north of the city in Escondito. We had Disney Vacation Points we had to use, but we stayed at the Lawrence Welk Resort. We were worried because it sounded hokey, but the place was amazing. Same for downtown Escondito.

We bought Go San Diego passes which got us admission into so many different places.

We have a friend whose mother has (or had) a place at the Welk resort, and we spent a weekend there once.  Very nice place, and we avoided the "buy in" presentation even though we were technically supposed to attend.  Escondido is a good central location for everything SD County has to offer.

My list of MLB parks visited is now at 11:

Dodger Stadium
Anaheim Stadium
Petco Park
AT&T Stadium (or whatever the Giants' stadium is called now)
Chase Field
Coors Field
Fenway Park
Citi Field
Yankee Stadium (new)
Camden Yards
Nationals Park

Only 19 left.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #409 on: April 04, 2021, 07:14:06 PM »
When we went to Petco, we bought a Family Package. $20 for the ticket, a hot dog, and a drink. So for $80, we went to the game and ate! Can't do that in Boston!

We don't do baseball trips, but if there's a baseball team where we vacation, my wife is cool going to a game.

We did Phoenix in 1998 (their inaugural season)
Camden Yards in 2000
Dodger Stadium in 2015
Coors Field in 2016
AT&T Park (SF) in 2018
Petco (SD) in 2019

We've seen the Bruins twice in Tampa, in '97 and '13.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #410 on: April 04, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »
We've seen the Bruins twice in Tampa, in '97 and '13.

I haven't been to nearly as many hockey venues as I have baseball stadiums.  I've seen the Kings at both the Forum and Staples Center and also went to a bunch of (Mighty) Ducks games at the Pond/Honda Center.  Other than that, I saw the Stars against the Rangers at MSG in 2000 and the Canucks against the Islanders in late January or early February 2020.  Every time I go to Boston, it seems that the Bruins or Celtics are either out of season or on the road.

NFL:  I saw the Rams once or twice when they played in Anaheim (I worked at a building on the other side of the Anaheim Stadium parking lot in the early 90s) and a couple Broncos games in Denver (Invesco).
NBA:  A couple of Clipper games at Staples Center.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #411 on: April 28, 2021, 08:18:31 PM »
I love baseball because you never know when the next oddity will come.

Tonight the Red Sox pitcher took a 10 pitch at bat against deGrom, the most all season.

https://nesn.com/2021/04/of-course-nick-pivetta-had-longest-at-bat-vs-jacob-degrom-this-season/

Offline T-ski

« Reply #412 on: April 29, 2021, 07:55:59 AM »
Quite possibly the worst call you値l ever see in baseball...

https://youtu.be/OGYu5EQsLEU

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #413 on: April 29, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »

Yeah, guy should have been fired after the game but of course UNION . . .

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #414 on: April 29, 2021, 09:25:19 AM »
I saw that. That was brutal.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #415 on: April 29, 2021, 11:45:11 AM »

Bad?  Yes.  Unnecessary?  Yes.

Worst call ever?  Not even close.

Worthy of being fired?  No....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #416 on: April 29, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »
In other news, I learned my new favorite acronym recently

TOOTBLAN

"Thrown out on the bases like a nincompoop."  I freakin' love it!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #417 on: April 29, 2021, 07:12:27 PM »

Bad call, but not even close to the worst call ever.  Context matters, and there have been bad calls that changes the outcomes of playoff series and World Series (freaking Denkinger :facepalm: :facepalm:).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #418 on: April 30, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »

Bad call, but not even close to the worst call ever.  Context matters, and there have been bad calls that changes the outcomes of playoff series and World Series (freaking Denkinger :facepalm: :facepalm:).

The three that came immediately to mind can all be identified with names:  Don Denkinger, Jeffrey Maier and Armando Galarraga.  Also Eric Gregg's collective body of work in the 1997 postseason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #419 on: May 06, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »
Angels releasing Pujols. I don't really watch anymore, but here's hoping the Cardinals sign him to one of those 1-day deals so he can retire a Cardinal.  Legend.