Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72287 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: 2020 MLB Thread V.Red Sox make me want to puke
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2020, 08:00:11 PM »
Game 4 of the ALCS that year was one of the best ball games I’ve ever watched.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »
Tell me about it!

One thing I distinctly remember is that right after Dave Roberts was traded to the Sox, I was out cleaning my pool, and he was doing a radio interview. I remember thinking that I thought the guy just sounded so cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2020, 10:50:19 AM »
So NESN (the Red Sox network) is showing the playoff games in the run up to the 2004 WS. In the first round, they played the Angels, and they're showing the ESPN broadcast with Chris Berman, Rick Sutcliffe, and Tony Gwynn.

My point is that it is so great to hear Tony Gwynn do a game. That guy was a joy.

Great player, and he was really good when he went into the booth (and, by all accounts, a really good guy).  Too bad he allowed his drug habit to take over his life to the point that it killed him (and yes, it was a drug habit).

Game 4 of the ALCS that year was one of the best ball games I’ve ever watched.

As the son of a Brooklyn native, I was programmed from birth to hate the Yankees.  By 2004, every baseball fan who wasn't a Yankee fan was SICK of the Yankees (4 wins and 6 appearances in the prior 8 World Series), so watching the Sox knock off the Yankees -- and coming back from being down 0-3 -- was an absolute pleasure!  The only downside is that the 2004 Series was anticlimactic and one of the most boring in recent memory.

One thing I distinctly remember is that right after Dave Roberts was traded to the Sox, I was out cleaning my pool, and he was doing a radio interview. I remember thinking that I thought the guy just sounded so cool.

The Dodgers station plays old games during the offseason, and occasionally one from 2004 will show up.  It was weird to see such a game and hear Roberts' name mentioned.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2020, 07:52:19 PM »
Watching Game 6 of the '04 ALCS tonight.

:rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2020, 09:50:30 AM »

Bitch move by the biggest bitch in the game.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »

Bitch move by the biggest bitch in the game.

I still remember watching that game and Rodriguez arguing that he didn't slap at it.

And all of this was followed by the classless Yankee fans littering the field with junk.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2020, 09:26:39 PM »
Not sure if anyone is following, I am not really, but read some stuff today about how some owners are willing to shut down the whole season. This is looking really bad, and not just for this year, but for years to come.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2020, 10:27:43 AM »
I haven't really been paying attention to the details.  Last thing I heard was Bob Nightingale saying he'd be shocked if baseball didn't start back up by July 4.

If this doesn't happen because of greed (on either side), then fuck 'em all.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2020, 08:49:19 AM »
Gotta ask: Is there an uglier ballpark in the US?

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »

Yes:

And I'm not being entirely facetious.  I went to a game there a couple years ago and wasn't impressed in the slightest.  Also, that picture is a fucking lie.  The neighborhood where Yankee Stadium is located is a shithole.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2020, 10:35:51 AM »
At least it's a neighborhood. Arlington exists solely for for two stadia and a Six Flags. I'd guess there's good eating in the Bronx, too. Unless you're into Fudruckers or Chili's you're driving back to Dallas or Ft Worth to eat. And aesthetically it's not even close. Yankee Stadium looks like a modern retro ballpark. The Ranger's play in a barn. Or maybe it's a corrugated aluminum baseball cap. I'm honestly not sure what it's supposed to look like.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
Unless you're into Fudruckers or Chili's you're driving back to Dallas or Ft Worth to eat.

Fuddruckers...MMMMMM!  I remember when I first went there back in the 80s and they had sides of beef hanging in the windows as you walked in.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2020, 08:46:48 PM »
The Ranger's play in a barn. Or maybe it's a corrugated aluminum baseball cap.

:lol Or maybe a Lowes and a megaplex movie theater had a baby. At least it doesn't have the dumbest name in sports stadiums. Jeff Bezos just took care of that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2020, 10:14:27 AM »

:lol Or maybe a Lowes and a megaplex movie theater had a baby. At least it doesn't have the dumbest name in sports stadiums. Jeff Bezos just took care of that.

??

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2020, 11:14:23 AM »

??

Seattle's stadium is now called "Climate Pledge Arena."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »

The KFC Yum! Center would like to have a word with you.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2020, 01:33:07 PM »

The KFC Yum! Center would like to have a word with you.

To say nothing of Smoothie King Center and Sleep Train Arena.

And, if you want to go beyond major professional stadiums, you've got Whataburger Field, Talking Stick Resort Arena, Dignity Health Sports Park and Bojangles Coliseum.

But yeah, "Climate Pledge Arena" is pretty damn dumb.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2020, 02:50:18 PM »
^
And to think this Midwesterner hated 'The Kingdome' !!!!

Anyone seen the schedules?

btw....I knew we wouldn't get to attend, but my wife bought us 3rd row tix behind the Tigers' dugout for Lou Whitaker's jersey retirement at the end of August.  We were going to drive to Pittsburgh, spend the night, and then on up to the Renaissance Center.  Then Mt. Pleasant.  Then Mackinac Island.  Then to Marquette.  Then down to Chicago.  Then Kalamazoo.  Then Lansing.  All points visiting friends and family.  Then back down to Pittsburgh for a night before going home.

When the obvious announcements of trying to resume play with no fans was made, it still stung.

Tonight we would have been at a meet and greet with Alice Cooper.  Next week was a PGA tournament, and then a trip to NYC to visit my half brother and see a Broadway show or two.

frick, frick, frick

(btw....I have a pretty good wife :tup)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2020, 04:04:25 PM »
Yeah, we missed out on Alice too. And our trip to Italy..

Offline pg1067

« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »
Anyone seen the schedules?

Doesn't look like they've been published.  The Dodgers website still has the original schedule.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
Yeah, we missed out on Alice too. And our trip to Italy..

Our return trip was scheduled for May, with a first time visit to Venice, which has been my wife's lifelong dream.

Can we just skip to 2021?
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2020, 09:09:01 AM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »

Saw this story that roasts the ballpark. Pretty funny.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/look-twitter-roasts-texas-rangers-for-new-stadium-compares-it-to-abandoned-warehouse/

I gotta say that I'm a little confused about the criticism that it "just seems to be in the middle of nowhere."  It's basically in the same place as the last stadium as well as the JerryJonesDome, and it's not like the location was a secret.  And a stadium with a retractable roof in the middle of Satan's butthole isn't going to look like Wrigley Field no matter what you do.  Ever seen Chase Field in Phoenix?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:50:49 PM by pg1067 »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »
HAPPY BOBBY BONILLA DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!   :metal

Every July 1st since 2011 the New York Mets pay Bobby Bonilla, now 57 years old, $1,193,248.20

Wouldn't that be awesome, knowing you get a cool $1.2 Million every July 1st?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »

Every July 1st since 2011 the New York Mets pay Bobby Bonilla, now 57 years old, $1,193,248.20

It would indeed.  And despite the overt hilarity of this deal, it was actually a good deal for the Mets ( https://www.businessinsider.com/mets-bobby-bonilla-deal-smart-2015-7 ).

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2020, 09:30:48 AM »

It would indeed.  And despite the overt hilarity of this deal, it was actually a good deal for the Mets ( https://www.businessinsider.com/mets-bobby-bonilla-deal-smart-2015-7 ).

Interesting article but like they say.....that's a lot of 'assuming' with what they 'could' have done with the money.

Maybe Bonilla didn't trust himself and just took the safe route knowing that every year he's getting the guaranteed lump sum of $1.2 million? In any case.....it's a nice summer bonus  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline T-ski

« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »
Jokes on Bonilla, after taxes no way is that over a million dollars.  :rollin
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2020, 02:43:08 PM »

Saw this story that roasts the ballpark. Pretty funny.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/look-twitter-roasts-texas-rangers-for-new-stadium-compares-it-to-abandoned-warehouse/

I gotta say that I'm a little confused about the criticism that it "just seems to be in the middle of nowhere."  It's basically in the same place as the last stadium as well as the JerryJonesDome, and it's not like the location was a secret. And a stadium with a retractable roof in the middle of Satan's butthole isn't going to look like Wrigley Field no matter what you do.  Ever seen Chase Field in Phoenix?
It's in Arlington, and Arlington is the middle of nowhere. It's the midway point between Dallas and Ft Worth, and it's basically the dumping ground for giant things nobody would want in their backyard. Stadia, amusement parks, and the international bowling hall of fame. Nice stuff goes in Dallas or Ft Worth. It's also not connected to either by rail. The TRE skirts North through Irving, so you have no choice but drive.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2020, 02:47:27 PM »
Jokes on Bonilla, after taxes no way is that over a million dollars.  :rollin

Right?  LOL.  ONLY $820,000 after taxes.....WAY below a million.....every year while retired. Jokes totally on him.  LOL what a sucker Bonilla is LOL.  Pssshhh, what is $820k gonna but you these days, amirite?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »
]It's in Arlington, and Arlington is the middle of nowhere. It's the midway point between Dallas and Ft Worth, and it's basically the dumping ground for giant things nobody would want in their backyard. Stadia, amusement parks, and the international bowling hall of fame. Nice stuff goes in Dallas or Ft Worth. It's also not connected to either by rail. The TRE skirts North through Irving, so you have no choice but drive.

Commute/public transit aside, isn't that the ideal place for something like a massive stadium? To your point, why would anyone want that in their back yard, or anywhere within 20 miles of their back yard?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »
]It's in Arlington, and Arlington is the middle of nowhere. It's the midway point between Dallas and Ft Worth, and it's basically the dumping ground for giant things nobody would want in their backyard. Stadia, amusement parks, and the international bowling hall of fame. Nice stuff goes in Dallas or Ft Worth. It's also not connected to either by rail. The TRE skirts North through Irving, so you have no choice but drive.

Commute/public transit aside, isn't that the ideal place for something like a massive stadium? To your point, why would anyone want that in their back yard, or anywhere within 20 miles of their back yard?
Absolutely. He was puzzled about it being in "the middle of nowhere" and I explained. I like it being out in the Styx, and I'm happy for them to shoulder the tax burden. If it weren't for them we would have gotten saddled with Jerry World.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2020 MLB Thread
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2020, 09:49:56 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2020, 05:52:30 PM »
Watching the 2016 All Star Game on MLB Network from San Diego (we went there last summer).

Weird seeing Jose Fernandez pitch. So sad.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »
MLBN played a July 4, 1985 game between the Mets and Braves (sometimes known as "the Rick Camp game").  It lasted 19 innings and 6 hours/10 minutes.  According to the box score, it started at 9:04 p.m. local time (because of a rain delay).  There was a second delay during the game, and the outfield was soaked.  A good chunk of the fans stuck around for the postgame fireworks, which actually got shot off around 4:00 in the morning!  The Mets took a 7-4 lead in the top of the 8th, only to give up 4 runs to the Braves in the bottom of the 8th.  The Mets tied the game in the top of the 9th and held the Braves in the bottom to force extra innings.  Each team scored 2 runs in the 13th inning.  The Mets scored in the 18th inning.  The Braves had no remaining pinch hitters, so they had to let relief pitcher Rick Camp bat with two outs in the bottom of the inning.  With an 0-2 count, he lined a ball over the leftfield wall to tie the game.  Camp then proceeded to allow 5 runs in the top of the 19th inning.  The Braves scored 2 in the bottom of the inning before finally losing.

The game featured a player who had made his major league debut in 1963 (Rusty Staub) and at least one player who played into the 21st Century (Dwight Gooden).  Gooden had started the game but pitched poorly and was removed in the third inning.  According to Bob Costas and Tom Verducci, who provided commentary between innings, Gooden had apparently gone back to the team hotel and fallen asleep.  He woke up at some point with the TV still on the game.  At that point, he thought it was highlights and went back to sleep.

It was more enjoyable to watch than I expected because they edited out most of the time between pitches and also skipped the scoreless extra innings.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
I watched that game this weekend too. It was great.