Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72411 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2021 MLB Thread
« Reply #455 on: June 11, 2021, 10:13:36 PM »
Lawsuit filed yesterday by a non-profit business organization regarding MLB's decision to move the 2021 All-Star Game from Atlanta because of the Georgia election law:  https://www.jobcreatorsnetwork.com/app/uploads/2021/05/Complaint.filed-1.pdf

Dumb decision by MLB, but I predict this lawsuit will be dismissed on multiple grounds, including lack of standing, before the 4th of July.

And...well ahead of schedule, it was dismissed for lack of standing:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/06/10/judge-denies-request-to-force-mlb-all-star-game-back-to-atlanta/?sh=47ac7a115d8e
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #456 on: June 11, 2021, 10:18:07 PM »
On another subject, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the Dodgers played the Pirates in Pittsburgh.  On Thursday, the Dodgers were ahead 5-3 going into the 8th inning.  In the top of the 8th, the Dodgers scored one run to make it a 6-3 game, and which point the game went into a rain delay.  Eventually, they called the game because of rain.

Now...here's the odd thing.  All official accounts of the game that I have seen indicate that the game ended with a 6-3 score "Final/8."  But why?  I always understood the rule to be that, if a game that has become official is called before the completion of nine innings, the score reverts to what it was at the end of the last completed inning.  In this case, that would mean the final score would be 5-3 "Final/7."  It's a Dodger win regardless, but what's the deal?  Anyone have any insight into the rule so I don't have to look it up?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #457 on: June 17, 2021, 06:14:40 AM »
6'8" pitcher who throws 100mph complaining he's not allowed to cheat anymore - against a rule that's been in place since 1920  :lol.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #458 on: June 18, 2021, 07:51:17 PM »
6'8" pitcher who throws 100mph complaining he's not allowed to cheat anymore - against a rule that's been in place since 1920  :lol.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to this issue, and I don't know to whom you're referring, but I wonder if one of the issues is the change in enforcement policy in the middle of a season, as opposed to doing it during the offseason such that pitchers can use spring training to adjust.  It'd be like cops all of a sudden strictly enforcing speed limits when virtually no one has been issued a ticket for 5mph over (or, on California freeways, 10mph over) in decades.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #459 on: June 19, 2021, 05:41:29 AM »
Tyler Glasgow.

A bunch of retired pitchers are on record saying his statements are bunk.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #460 on: June 19, 2021, 01:29:58 PM »
I just did a quick google search, and it looks like Glasnow was mostly concerned about changing enforcement in the middle of a season.  I don't think that's an illegitimate complaint.  But, again, I haven't paid a ton of attention to this issue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: June 19, 2021, 04:23:36 PM »
But apparently MLB and the Union have been talking about it since last year. As usual, baseball doesn't do anything until they get called out, this time by SI. But what are they supposed to do, wait until next year?

Fuck Tyler Glasnow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #462 on: June 27, 2021, 06:02:25 PM »
Nothing like a clean sweep of the Yankees! First place baby.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #463 on: June 27, 2021, 06:10:50 PM »
Nothing like a clean sweep of the Yankees! First place baby.

:metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #464 on: June 27, 2021, 06:39:43 PM »
The Yankees getting swept is always a good thing. And on the other coast, the league leading Giants take 2/3 from their very tough cross Bay rivals.

:GiantsMetal:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #465 on: June 28, 2021, 10:12:39 AM »
The Yankees getting swept is always a good thing. And on the other coast, the league leading Giants take 2/3 from their very tough cross Bay rivals.

You take the good; you take the bad....

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #466 on: June 29, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
As far back as I can remember, into the 1970s, the Red Sox have always had trouble with Kansas City whether KC was good or terrible. I don’t get it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #467 on: June 29, 2021, 07:21:59 PM »
KC was my childhood favorite team. George Brett is my favorite player.

I was actually born in KC.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #468 on: June 30, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »
Dodgers swept the Giants!  Only a 2-game series, but any sweep of the Giants is so damn satisfying.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #469 on: June 30, 2021, 02:40:36 PM »
The Cubs/Brewers game today is nuts.

Cubs scored 7 in the top of the first and the Brewers have since scored 14……it’s only the end of the fourth.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #470 on: June 30, 2021, 03:50:14 PM »
The Cubs/Brewers game today is nuts.

Cubs scored 7 in the top of the first and the Brewers have since scored 14……it’s only the end of the fourth.

I see the Cubs now have Eric Sogard on the mound.  That should be fun.

Also, remember when Jake Arrieta was one of the best pitchers in the game?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #471 on: July 04, 2021, 04:19:41 PM »
Ohtani with #31! What a story. Him being in HR Derby in Coors Field should be epic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #472 on: July 04, 2021, 04:40:41 PM »
Ohtani with #31! What a story. Him being in HR Derby in Coors Field should be epic.

He's scheduled to pitch against the Sox on Tuesday! Looking forward to the upcoming series.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #473 on: July 05, 2021, 09:26:40 PM »
When did John Lester join the Nationals?

And is he still afraid to throw to first base?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #474 on: July 07, 2021, 08:02:29 PM »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #475 on: July 07, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
Jackie Bradley Jr. :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdM3T_KiVY0

It’s pretty much the only good thing he’s done this season for the Brewers.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #476 on: July 08, 2021, 09:38:08 AM »
Jackie Bradley Jr. :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdM3T_KiVY0

It’s pretty much the only good thing he’s done this season for the Brewers.

That's the second example of horrific fundamentals by the Pirates that I've seen this year.

Also, that video was at least a minute longer than it needed to be.  Is this the same clown who attributed that moronic play by the Pirates' first baseman to "1,000,000 IQ" by Javy Baez"?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #477 on: July 13, 2021, 09:55:18 PM »
Really enjoyed this allstar game. Buck and Smoltz did a nice job, and wow the young stars in this game . . .

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #478 on: July 14, 2021, 08:29:43 AM »
Really enjoyed this allstar game. Buck and Smoltz did a nice job, and wow the young stars in this game . . .

I never miss the baseball all star game if I can help it. I'm pissed I missed the introductions. I didn't tune in until 8:00 and they were over.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #479 on: July 14, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »

I never miss the baseball all star game if I can help it. I'm pissed I missed the introductions. I didn't tune in until 8:00 and they were over.

I always watch too.  Unfortunately, it usually has started before I get home from work (although, when my son was younger, I'd leave the office early to get home to watch with him).  I left a little early yesterday and got home sometime shortly before Guerrero's homer.  I need to remember to DVR it so that I get the introductions.

The game yesterday was a bit meh, but it was nice that only three of the seven runs scored because of homers.  The worst part were the uniforms.  WTF?!  One of the coolest parts of the ASG was seeing a guy in a Reds uniform lined up next to a guy in a Dodgers uniform or seeing Willie Randolph fielding a ball at second and throwing to Carl Yastrzemski to get the out at first -- ALL IN THEIR OWN UNIFORMS.  Save the beer league softball uniforms for the HR Derby!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #480 on: July 14, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »
Yeah, the uniforms were a travesty! From what I can tell no one liked them. Makes you wonder what MLB was thinking with that one... :facepalm:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #481 on: July 15, 2021, 06:20:40 AM »
Yeah, the uniforms were a travesty! From what I can tell no one liked them. Makes you wonder what MLB was thinking with that one... :facepalm:

It was a classic case of "over-thinking".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #482 on: July 15, 2021, 09:30:06 AM »
Kinda like the 2019 "Players' Weekend" uniforms.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #483 on: July 15, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »
How the hell is the Sox/Yankees game postponed tonight yet the Sox played Philly on this past Sunday with 4 Philly players testing positive with covid.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline pg1067

« Reply #485 on: July 17, 2021, 05:17:17 PM »
Classy move!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31830562/shohei-ohtani-donated-home-run-derby-earnings-los-angeles-angels-staff-members

I agree, but my first thought was to wonder whether he handed out 30 $5,000 checks or, since he's going to pay about 50% in income tax on that money, or 30 $2,500 checks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #486 on: July 17, 2021, 08:19:24 PM »
Anyone watching just now with what happened between Verdugo and the fans in right field at Yankee Stadium? What a classless bunch of assholes, big surprise.Alex has always treated them well and engaged with them in a fun way.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #487 on: July 17, 2021, 08:24:48 PM »
If only Fernando Tatis Jr. had an ounce of hustle he could be one of the greats. So much talent, too much ego and narcissism. Seriously, why the hell would you stand in the batters box and watch a line drive, which then bounces off the wall and could have easily been a double for anyone not named Bengie Molina. The outfielder wasn't even hurrying to get the ball and throw it back in..... RUN YOU MORON!! He's also the worst fielding shortstop I have ever seen. Makes poor decisions routinely. Just very low baseball IQ.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #488 on: July 18, 2021, 01:32:24 PM »
If only Fernando Tatis Jr. had an ounce of hustle he could be one of the greats. So much talent, too much ego and narcissism. Seriously, why the hell would you stand in the batters box and watch a line drive, which then bounces off the wall and could have easily been a double for anyone not named Bengie Molina. The outfielder wasn't even hurrying to get the ball and throw it back in..... RUN YOU MORON!! He's also the worst fielding shortstop I have ever seen. Makes poor decisions routinely. Just very low baseball IQ.

I don't know...I've seen an awful lot of Tatis this season that contradicts what you're saying.  Unfortunately, admiring your hit and not running is a bit of an epidemic these days.  Justin Turner had one of those a week or so before the ASG.  I've seen a few others this season, and it drives me batty too.

Anyone watching just now with what happened between Verdugo and the fans in right field at Yankee Stadium? What a classless bunch of assholes, big surprise.Alex has always treated them well and engaged with them in a fun way.

Jim Gaffigan has a joke about Philly through Boston being a "corridor of hate."  I don't know what it is, but there's always someone in those cities willing to be an asshole, and the populous always defends them ("oh, that's just how they are in Philly" to Yankee fans turning Jeffrey Maier into a hero).  The worst part is that there won't be any way to identify the guy who did this.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #489 on: July 19, 2021, 11:14:53 AM »
The worst part is that there won't be any way to identify the guy who did this.

Happily, I was wrong about this.  The guy has been identified (although apparently not publicly) and has been banned for life from all MLB stadiums.  Not sure how that gets enforced, but that's what should happen.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/07/18/fan-banned-for-life-threw-baseball-alex-verdugo-yankees-red-sox