Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72406 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2020 MLB Thread V.Los Angeles Mookies
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2020, 10:49:34 AM »
He has taken heat for granting immunity to the players, but as the MLBPA pointed out last night in their statement, the players cannot be held accountable in any way per the CBA.
The MLBPA is upset that they seem to feel that by giving them immunity (that they already had), the players thought they were catching a break. Not sure why the players or their reps wouldn't know that.

Hold on a second?  The CBA does not allow the commissioner to punish players for violating rules??  This is the first I've heard of that.

Also, I wouldn't expect your rank and file player to have the slightest idea what the CBA says.  The damn thing is nearly 400 pages long (the "basic agreement" including attachments).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2020, 04:13:53 PM »
A Dodgers fan group is selling these:

and is apparently planning a trip to Anaheim for the Astros' series against the Angels.  https://pantone294.com/products/houston-astros-cheaters-1?variant=31470564409378

This should be awesome!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »
While MLB history is loaded with championship teams that had cheaters, I am getting a kick of out of those calling them the Asterisks. 

And I saw that the Vegas Over/Under is 83.5 as to how many an Asterisk gets hit by a pitch this season. :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2020, 06:26:39 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2020, 07:08:55 PM »
Those shirts are awesome.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2020, 08:33:44 AM »
love the Houston Asterisks shirt, might consider getting one.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »
So I haven't really been following this, not much of a baseball guy, but I'm a little hazy on something. Is the problem that the Astros were just better at cheating than everybody else? I mean, isn't it a foregone conclusion that everybody is trying to steal signs? Either it's against the rules or it's not. If it is and people just pretend it doesn't happen, coming down on the people who excelled at it doesn't really make much sense.

Setting that strangeness aside, it seems to me that if you're going to allow the pitcher/catcher to communicate with each other, then it should be on them to keep the other team from figuring it out. I just read from a player today who said they all knew what was going on. They changed their signals every pitch. Good for them. Why weren't other teams? And why hasn't everybody been doing that all along if stealing signals is such a big deal?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2020, 03:56:21 PM »
So I haven't really been following this, not much of a baseball guy, but I'm a little hazy on something. Is the problem that the Astros were just better at cheating than everybody else? I mean, isn't it a foregone conclusion that everybody is trying to steal signs?

Yes, it's a foregone conclusion that everyone tries to steal signs.  The distinction is that the Astros used technology to do it.  If you've got a runner on second who figures out what pitch is coming and relays that to the batter, that's legal and accepted.  If the manager figures out that the pitcher is tipping his pitches and bangs on something to relay that to the batter, that's legal and accepted.  What's not legal is using technology, and that point was made clear by the commissioner prior to the Astros doing it in 2017.  The Astros were taking the feed from the centerfield camera and put a TV/monitor right outside the dugout in the passage to the clubhouse.  They would station someone at that monitor, who would relay what was coming (eventually via banging on a trash can) to the batter.  You can read the full report here (it's not terribly long):  https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/cglrhmlrwwbkacty27l7.pdf

Setting that strangeness aside, it seems to me that if you're going to allow the pitcher/catcher to communicate with each other, then it should be on them to keep the other team from figuring it out. I just read from a player today who said they all knew what was going on. They changed their signals every pitch. Good for them. Why weren't other teams? And why hasn't everybody been doing that all along if stealing signals is such a big deal?

Every team takes steps to hide signs, but when there's no one on base, that's not necessary, UNLESS the other team is illegally using technology to steal the signs.

When my kid was still playing baseball (and he played catcher for several years), we taught the catchers to hide their signs to the pitcher way up in their crotches and to use their gloves to prevent the third-base coach from seeing the sign.  However, with kids being involved, they weren't always careful, and some catchers were extremely careless.  Likewise, the signs weren't terribly complex, so it often pretty easy for one of the base coaches simply to call out when something other than a fastball was coming.  When I did it and the opposing manager would get pissy, my retort was always, "teach your kids to hide their signs better."  But having someone in centerfield with binoculars and a walkie-talkie to the dugout would not have been allowed.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
So could a manager just hire 5 goons to stake out strategic positions and give them each binoculars, one red and one green flag, and have them semaphore the signs back to the batter and/or dugout? "Using technology" just seems like a silly distinction to me. I just can't shake the notion that they were doing what everybody else was, but in a significantly more elaborate manner.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2020, 05:08:16 PM »
I see the logic in the technology distinction, but I suspect if someone employed the system you described it would be made illegal pretty quickly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2020, 07:38:41 PM »
David Ortiz is a fucking douche, calling Mike Fiers a snitch. You gotta love Canseco's response.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jose-canseco-defends-mike-fiers-for-whistleblowing-calls-out-david-ortiz/ar-BB10dzom?li=BBnba9I

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »
2020 Free MLB.TV Subscription For T-Mobile Customers On 3/24/2020

Mark your calendars - early heads up for preparations. T-Mobile will again offer free MLB.TV for customers on Tuesday, 3/24/2020.

Source
https://twitter.com/tmobilehelp/s...52613?s=21

Last year's thread:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12878884-it-s-back-free-mlb-tv-subscription-for-t-mobile-customers-on-3-26?v=1

Note that reddit users are reporting that Black Wireless and Mango Wireless customers can install the T-Mobile Tuesday's app and take advantage of deals such as this one since they are TMobile Business Accounts. Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/f6zwju/blackwireless_100_for_6_months_plan_tmobile/

Offline pg1067

« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2020, 09:36:19 PM »
My son reported to me earlier today that (approximately) 6 Astros batters have been hit through 3 preseason games.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »
for those on twitter, this may be a good follow for the season...

https://twitter.com/AsteriskTour

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »
My son reported to me earlier today that (approximately) 6 Astros batters have been hit through 3 preseason games.

One of my new managers was just telling me about this. He's a pretty huge dodger fan... (wearing a Dodgers shirt today). I've been here 2 weeks and he and I already rib each other for our teams. :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2020, 03:31:13 PM »
Well, Asstros hitters will be safe for a while

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28892315/sources-mlb-expected-suspend-spring-training

EDIT:  adding to a downer day, Trey Mancini underwent surgery for colon cancer.  One of the few bright spots in recent years, and just an all around good kid.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28893535/orioles-trey-mancini-malignant-tumor-removed-colon
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:06:43 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2020, 08:42:02 PM »
Godspeed to that kid. He's already proved to be a thorn in the Red Sox' side.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
David Ortiz is a fucking douche, calling Mike Fiers a snitch. You gotta love Canseco's response.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jose-canseco-defends-mike-fiers-for-whistleblowing-calls-out-david-ortiz/ar-BB10dzom?li=BBnba9I

Papi never thinks deeply before opening his mouth unfortunately.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
Was to be Opening Day today.

:-[

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2020, 06:04:36 PM »
Was to be Opening Day today.

:-[
Sad times  :'(

I have OOTP Baseball to hold me over if/when the baseball season ever gets going.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
I got an email from MLB yesterday talking about "Opening Day at Home."  It was basically all of the programming that's being aired in the absence of actual games.  Yesterday, my 17yo son was watching (on his phone) game 7 of the 2001 World Series.  He started doing play-by-play starting with Womack's game tying hit.  It was pretty cool.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2020, 03:34:40 PM »
Al Kaline passes away at the age of 85.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/505371001?fbclid=IwAR2_vgT6BMmMgQRgGQ6rHRCClcQdENTG7xgIq8tD2ygYFhsn7qKBHcmazMQ

Just a class act all around.  HOFer, member of the '68 World Series champs that helped unite a city ravaged by riots the year before, great announcer, etc. (Yaztremski became the first American Leaguer with 3000 hits and 400 HRs, Kaline had 3007 hits and 399 HRs).  At 20, he became the youngest player to win a batting title.

We went to Cooperstown the year that Trammell and Morris were inducted.  Al was the first person in the parade that Saturday night, Alan the last.  Thought he'd be there when Lou Whitaker gets his #1 jersey retired in August (or whenever).  An icon in both Detroit and Baltimore, where he grew up, and later got his 3000th hit. 

To #6, thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Kaline
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:16:40 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2020, 05:04:46 PM »
Al Kaline passes away at the age of 85.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/505371001?fbclid=IwAR2_vgT6BMmMgQRgGQ6rHRCClcQdENTG7xgIq8tD2ygYFhsn7qKBHcmazMQ

Just a class act all around.  HOFer, member of the '68 World Series champs that helped unite a city ravaged by riots the year before, great announcer, etc. (Yaztremski became the first American Leaguer with 3000 hits and 400 HRs, Kaline had 3007 hits and 399 HRs).  At 20, he became the youngest player to win a batting title.

We went to Cooperstown the year that Trammell and Morris were inducted.  Al was the first person in the parade that Saturday night, Alan the last.  Thought he'd be there when Lou Whitaker gets his #1 jersey retired in August (or whenever).  An icon in both Detroit and Baltimore, where he grew up, and later got his 3000th hit. 

To #6, thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Kaline

His last season was the year before I started following baseball as a kid.  I started collecting baseball cards in the 1975 season, and I'm almost positive there was a card commemorating his 3,000th hit in 1974.  He had 146 hits in his final season -- not bad for an age-39 season!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
I remember recording this from the radio, and playing it more than a few times on my bus ride to school.  The Tigers would lose to Oakland in the ALCS, and then without Reggie Jackson, the A's would win the first of three consecutive WS.

Announcer:  HOFer Ernie Harwell, the final out ....well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p013pTPUXY

Offline pg1067

« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2020, 09:30:01 AM »
I remember recording this from the radio, and playing it more than a few times on my bus ride to school.  The Tigers would lose to Oakland in the ALCS, and then without Reggie Jackson, the A's would win the first of three consecutive WS.

Announcer:  HOFer Ernie Harwell, the final out ....well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p013pTPUXY

That confused the heck out of me at first.  I knew Ogilvie as a Tiger and Brewer and didn't know he started his career with Boston, so I was wondering why the Tigers would be batting in the 9th inning of a home game if they had the lead.  :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2020, 06:39:41 AM »
Looks like that POS Josh Hamilton might be going to prison for awhile. Excellent, as Mr Burns would say.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2020, 04:40:30 PM »
Because the topic came up with a friend today regarding the Arizona and Florida 'leagues' (all of it 99% 'ain't happenin''), I thought of a few concerns.

Say the players are isolated, no fans, they play seven innings and double headers, break ties with HR derbys, and pigs fly.......players temperatures can be checked, but they can't be tested every day. So, envision a pitcher or catcher having C19.   Four or five players could possibly be infected during one at bat.

Social distancing:  they can't all sit in the dug out, so many would sit in the stands.  Well, that's not a problem.

The big problem:  for those off the field and wearing masks, how are they going to spit? ;)

(way too much time on my hands tonight......)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2020, 10:49:19 AM »
South Korea begins the preseason

https://www.geo.tv/latest/284125-professional-sport-baseball-returns-in-south-korea

Their country was ahead of the curve.  Half the population tested, sooner lockdowns, much less resistance and sooner use of masks after the SARS1.

Not so sure of them going ahead with this, but it is what it is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2020 MLB Thread V.Red Sox make me want to puke
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2020, 06:10:55 PM »
So the commissioner's report is out. Thread title says it all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »
Soft slap on the wrist. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline pg1067

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2020, 10:14:33 AM »
I flipped on the MLB Network last night, and apparently they've set up an MLB 20: The Show (video game) league.  According to my 17 year old, each team has one player in the league.  Last night was Fernando Tatis against I'm not sure.  They showed the game with inset boxes of the two players and a third box for what I assume was an announcer/commentator.  I got bored after about 3 minutes.  Just don't get the appeal of watching others play video games.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2020, 10:24:16 AM »
It seemed a hell of a lot clunkier than what the NBA guys did a few weeks ago.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
So NESN (the Red Sox network) is showing the playoff games in the run up to the 2004 WS. In the first round, they played the Angels, and they're showing the ESPN broadcast with Chris Berman, Rick Sutcliffe, and Tony Gwynn.

My point is that it is so great to hear Tony Gwynn do a game. That guy was a joy.