Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72276 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2020 MLB Thread
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2020, 04:39:07 PM »
I watched that game this weekend too. It was great.

It was interesting to see how BAD the drainage was at that stadium (and I'm surprised to see that it was natural grass).  Things have come a long way in that regard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »
Ok...since we have a bunch of Boston and St. Louis folks here, what do you think of the following?

Which was the more overemphasized blunder of the mid-80s:

1. Don Denkinger's missed call in game 6 of the 1985 World Series

OR

2. Bill Buckner's error in game 6 of the 1986 World Series?

Denkiner:[/b]  There's no question that Denkinger egregiously missed the call, but other things were far more important.  On the very next pitch, Steve Balboni hit a pop foul in front of the first base dugout.  Converted outfielder Jack Clark, who was playing first base, allowed catcher Darrell Porter to call him off.  At the last second, Porter said he lost the ball, and Clark couldn't locate it.  That ball was Clark's ALL THE WAY.  He should have called off Porter and caught the ball (as the guy whom the Cardinals trade away a couple years earlier would have done in his sleep).  Balboni then singled to leftfield, so there were runners on first and second with no one out.  If Denkinger makes the correct call, you have a guy on first with one out.  The next batter, Jim Sundberg, tried to sacrifice, but the Cards threw out Jorge Orta at third.  That left runners on first and second with one out.  Had Denkinger made the correct call, and assuming Sundberg still tries to sacrifice, he probably successfully moves Onix Concepcion (the pinch runner for Balboni) to second, which would leave a runner on second with two outs.  If that's the case, then the Cards probably walk Hal McRae immediately (which means the Porter pass ball never happens), which means we now have runners on first and second with two outs.  Dane Iorg's single to right would easily have scored Concepcion from second, and McRae would have moved to third and Iorg probably ends up on second.  The game is then tied with runners on second and third and two outs.  No way to predict what happens after that.

Buckner:  What a lot of people forget about the Buckner game is that it was game 6 (I thoroughly expect the folks who read this will not be among that group).  People also forget that the Red Sox were winning by one run after the 7th inning.  After the 7th, Red Sox manager John McNamara removed starter Roger Clemens for a pinch hitter.**  Although Clemens had given up only a single earned run and had shut down the Mets in order in the bottom of the 7th, his pitch count was nearing 140, so it was hardly unreasonable for McNamara to remove him.  In the bottom of the 8th, McNamara inserted former Met, Calvin Schiraldi.  Although multi-inning saves were not a new thing for Schiraldi, he had blown a save in game 2 of the ALCS and hadn't pitched since game 1 of the Series, a week earlier.  In the bottom of the 8th, Schiraldi allowed the Mets to load the bases and score the tying run on a sacrifice fly (all while throwing 18 pitches).  Schiraldi threw another 21 pitches to shut down the Mets in the bottom of the 9th and send the game to extra innings.  The Sox scored two runs in the top of the 10th, and Schiraldi quickly got two outs in the bottom of the inning.  At that point, he had thrown 46 pitches to 13 batters, so most of the Mets hitters were seeing Shiraldi for a second time.  Gary Carter and Kevin Mitchell then hit back-to-back singles, leaving the Mets with runners on first and second with two outs and the tying run at the plate.  Schiraldi's pitch count was now at 52.  Only after Ray Knight got the Mets' third consecutive single did McNamara yank Schiraldi and bring in the Sox leader in saves, Bob Stanley.  Stanley then proceeded to allow Mitchell to score the tying run on a wild pitch, after which the infamous Buckner play happened.

I think the Buckner game is the bigger overreaction because, not only did it happen in game 6 (which is also true of the Denkinger game), the Sox had also already blown a two run lead with some monumentally bad pitching and pitcher management.  If Buckner makes the play, the game simply goes to the eleventh inning.  With the Denkinger game, you have to make some assumptions.  Of course, in both cases, the Sox and Cards crapped the bed in game 7 gave up a three run lead after five and the Cards got Andujared (which I can still remember watching and finding absolutely hilarious).  Interestingly (for me), both game 7's happened on my birthday.

** - 1986 was the first year where the teams used a DH in the AL park and no DH in the NL park.  Prior to that, they alternated, using the DH in even years and not using it in odd years.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2020, 05:26:49 PM »
In the mid 80's I was paying way more attention to the Royals than the Sox.

Mac was the issue. He had been subbing in Dave Stapleton in the late innings for defensive replacement. Mac simply wanted Buck on the field when the Sox won.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
Mac was the issue. He had been subbing in Dave Stapleton in the late innings for defensive replacement. Mac simply wanted Buck on the field when the Sox won.

True.  In something I saw recently on MLB Network (but which I think was produced about ten years ago), McNamara deflected the whole Stapleton thing, going so far as to say that Stapleton's nickname was "Shaky."  Bob Costas and someone else did in-studio commentary, and they were joined by Mookie Wilson and Bruce Hurst (and make one other Met?).  Upon seeing the clip where McNamara called Stapleton "Shaky," Hurst said that was absurd.

That said, even if Buckner makes the play, the Sox had still blown the lead, and the game goes on with Schiraldi out of the game and Stanley into his second inning with a pitch count already in the mid-30s.  You also have the argument that, even if Buckner makes the play, Wilson might have beaten him to the bag.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2020, 05:59:39 PM »
I am biased, but the Denkinger call was far more egregious.  If that is called correctly, it is very likely that the Cardinals win the game, and thus the World Series.

Like you pointed out, when the Buckner play happened, the Mets had already tied the game, so it's not like that blunder blew the lead. 

In both cases, the victimized team had a chance to win Game 7, but neither team was able to bounce back from the crushing Game 6 defeat.  And the Cardinals completely unraveled in theirs.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »
The blunder in regards to Buckner.....was that he was still in the game.  He was wearing ankle top shoes at the time, not because he was ahead of the times, but because he had bad ankles.  His mobility was very limited.  Even if he catches the ball, I don't think they throw out Wilson at first.

Man...how many times the Mets were down to their final strike in that inning.

Denkinger's whiff was amazing.  Like the Jim Joyce brainfart that cost the Tigers' Armando Galarraga a perfect game (but what wonderful stories revolved around that afterwards).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2020, 08:47:10 PM »
Like the Jim Joyce brainfart that cost the Tigers' Armando Galarraga a perfect game (but what wonderful stories revolved around that afterwards).

That was some true class the way those two men handled that situation.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2020, 08:49:03 PM »
Yup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2020, 10:23:47 AM »
I am biased, but the Denkinger call was far more egregious.  If that is called correctly, it is very likely that the Cardinals win the game, and thus the World Series.

Like you pointed out, when the Buckner play happened, the Mets had already tied the game, so it's not like that blunder blew the lead. 

Yeah...that's the big difference in my eyes.  At the time of the Buckner play, the best case scenario was that the game goes to another extra inning.  The bigger damage had already been done.

On the other hand, once the Buckner play was over, it was over.  They could go back to the hotel and regroup and come out fresh for game 7.  The Sox even got an extra day because of the rain.  On the other hand, things snowballed for the Cards:  the uncaught foul ball and the pass ball and then Andujar melting down in game 7.

It's interesting that these two events happened in consecutive years in the same game of the series, only a day apart.

And ditto all the prior comments about the Joyce/Galarraga situation.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
Actually saw some live baseball over the weekend...Mets v. Yankees and Brewers v. I don't remember.  Three days until opening day!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2020, 11:44:17 AM »
Regarding Buckner, I remember in a recent interview he said he was breaking in a new glove and it didn’t give the way a broken-in one would when it touched the ground. Regarding KC-STL, one thing to remember is that KC thoroughly outscored STL in that series even not counting Game 7.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2020, 12:51:21 PM »
Regarding Buckner, I remember in a recent interview he said he was breaking in a new glove and it didn’t give the way a broken-in one would when it touched the ground.

Even if that's true, I'm not sure it matters.  He either didn't get his glove on the ball at all or barely did, and the primary reason for that was his bad back.  Also, if you walk onto the field in a World Series game with equipment that hasn't been properly prepared, that's a worse sin that just making an error.  Also, in googling to try and find some reference to the glove not being broken in, the only thing I found was a reference to the glove being overly broken in.

Regarding KC-STL, one thing to remember is that KC thoroughly outscored STL in that series even not counting Game 7.

That's not at all accurate.  The average game score over the first five games of the series was 3-2.4 in favor of the Royals, and the average over the first six games was 2.83-2.17 in favor of the Royals.  While the Royals' first two wins in games 3 and 5 were by scores of 6-1, all of the other games were close.

In any event, the composite scores don't matter.  Just ask the 1960 Pirates and Yankees.  That seven-game Series is known for Bill Mazeroski's walk-off homer in game 7 to give the Pirates the Series win, but the Yankees more than doubled the Pirates' run total over the seven games, outscoring the Pirates 55-27 and outhitting them 91-60.

« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2020, 04:01:55 PM »
Go Cubs Go

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2020, 08:11:40 PM »
I am so freaking happy there is live baseball on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline romdrums

« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2020, 07:30:19 AM »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2020, 11:34:48 AM »
Royals  :rollin

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/watch-royals-pitchers-bean-three-houston-astros-in-one-game/ar-BB171trD?li=BB15ms5q

This might be the only reason I tune in to baseball this year.   :corn

Honestly, I think the Astros will be the biggest beneficiary of all this COVID crap.  That thing with the Royals notwithstanding, I think everything that's happened will temper how other teams react, and they won't be subject to abuse from crowds at road games.  The Astros were originally supposed to play in Anaheim during the first weekend of the season, and my son and I were going to get tickets just to go and boo the crap out of them.  Also, there's a Dodgers fan group that was organizing something similar for that Astros @ Angels series.  Now, they won't have to deal with any of that stuff.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2020, 01:18:28 PM »
Seems the Blue Jays can’t find a place to play.  Toronto said no, tried Pittsburgh then Pennsylvania said no.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2020, 01:43:11 PM »
Asstros already have a target on their back.

Dodgers' Mookie Betts looks like he'll get a 12 year $360M deal!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »
I miss Mookie already. He was amazing to watch on a daily basis. An incredible outfielder.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2020, 08:18:53 AM »
Go Brewers!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2020, 09:56:17 AM »
Kiké Hernandez went 4 for 5 with 5 RBI in the Dodgers' blowout win over the minor league team wearing giants' jerseys.

Now lets see if the Dodgers and Yankees can go the entire season with the best records in each league.

Also, the Yankees' win means I won't be winning a million dollars in the MLB's opening day pick all the games correctly challenge.   :sad:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2020, 06:44:19 PM »
I miss Mookie already. He was amazing to watch on a daily basis. An incredible outfielder.

Yup, the Sox having to let Mookie go because they got into some incredibly stupid contracts with a few assclowns is a travesty for Boston fans.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2020, 08:25:19 AM »
The Marlins have 14 or more players and coaches positive for Covid.  Baseball may get shut down. Good luck NFL.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
The Marlins have 14 or more players and coaches positive for Covid.  Baseball may get shut down. Good luck NFL.

Sports that aren’t attempting a ‘bubble’ approach simply are not going to work. The ‘bubble’ at least gives that sport a chance.....galavanting around the country and expecting to remain unaffected by corona is just pie in the sky thinking.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2020, 10:51:25 AM »

Sports that aren’t attempting a ‘bubble’ approach simply are not going to work. The ‘bubble’ at least gives that sport a chance.....galavanting around the country and expecting to remain unaffected by corona is just pie in the sky thinking.

Agreed and I'm not even convinced the NBA Bubble is going to work. All it takes is one person to infect everyone and it's game over.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2020, 12:35:14 PM »

Agreed and I'm not even convinced the NBA Bubble is going to work. All it takes is one person to infect everyone and it's game over.

The NBA has the best chance with their model. They would do well to either bring family into the bubble and/or hookers because there is a lot that can go wrong with young players with a wad of cash.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #202 on: July 29, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »
Astros/Dodgers got a bit testy last night....

https://youtu.be/yPhqWfFKcxE

Get used to it Houston.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #203 on: July 29, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
Astros/Dodgers got a bit testy last night....

https://youtu.be/yPhqWfFKcxE

Get used to it Houston.

I turned the game on at the start of the next inning and they were showing a replay of Kelly walking off the mound and mouthing to Correa.  They didn't say what had happened, but that was great.

As I said earlier in the thread, I tend to think the Astros will get off easy because of Covid.  Outside of this Dodgers series, I don't think they're going to see much, if any retribution from the other teams in the NL or AL West.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #204 on: July 29, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
Kelly suspended 8 games.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: July 29, 2020, 03:36:31 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #206 on: July 29, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
A guy last year charged a bench, started a brawl and got an 8 game suspension in a 162 game season.

The suspension in a 60 game season is asinine. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #207 on: July 29, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
Kelly suspended 8 games.

Ridiculous
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
The suspension in a 60 game season is asinine.

Pretty much.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: July 29, 2020, 06:23:49 PM »
That Kelly guy does not look like a pro athlete at all. He is aesthetically a total throwback to a ballplayer from the 80s like Kent Tekulve.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'