Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72300 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2021 MLB Thread
« Reply #420 on: May 06, 2021, 03:22:37 PM »
Angels releasing Pujols. I don't really watch anymore, but here's hoping the Cardinals sign him to one of those 1-day deals so he can retire a Cardinal.  Legend.

Big public relations mistake by the Angels.  Pretty much assures he won't have an Angels cap on his HOF plaque.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #421 on: May 06, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »
Angels releasing Pujols. I don't really watch anymore, but here's hoping the Cardinals sign him to one of those 1-day deals so he can retire a Cardinal.  Legend.

Big public relations mistake by the Angels.  Pretty much assures he won't have an Angels cap on his HOF plaque.

That would have been a sham had that happened, since all of his HOF years were here in St Louis.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: May 06, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »
I think his bank account has an Angel's cap.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #423 on: May 06, 2021, 04:04:47 PM »

:lol

Sox-Tigers game today had 21 runs and no homers. Singles and doubles aren’t dead yet.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #424 on: May 06, 2021, 05:21:33 PM »

Sox-Tigers game today had 21 runs and no homers. Singles and doubles aren’t dead yet.

Bravo!

The recently completed series in which the Dodgers got swept by the Cubs featured more hits that would have been outs but for "the shift" than I can remember.  One of the play-by-play guys commented how the Cubs had scored in every one of the extra innings that the team had played, and I yelled back to him that this was because the Cubs were hitting to score runs, whereas the Dodgers were trying to hit home runs.

It's not just the Dodgers, but the abject refusal of "professional" hitters to take advantage of "the shift" drives me bat-crap crazy.  Is it really that hard to learn to put a bunt down that probably would result in a double when the defense does this?

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #425 on: May 06, 2021, 06:06:59 PM »

Bravo!

The recently completed series in which the Dodgers got swept by the Cubs featured more hits that would have been outs but for "the shift" than I can remember.  One of the play-by-play guys commented how the Cubs had scored in every one of the extra innings that the team had played, and I yelled back to him that this was because the Cubs were hitting to score runs, whereas the Dodgers were trying to hit home runs.

It's not just the Dodgers, but the abject refusal of "professional" hitters to take advantage of "the shift" drives me bat-crap crazy.  Is it really that hard to learn to put a bunt down that probably would result in a double when the defense does this?
Yeah, the shift is driving me nuts these days. Fortunately the Giants have been trying to combat it by laying down bunts the other way occasionally. Unfortunately for the the Giants, their bullpen has been imploding late in games way too often lately. They basically should have swept the Rockies, or at least taken 3 of 4.....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #426 on: May 06, 2021, 07:12:58 PM »
They’re testing some radical measures in the minors - moving the mound back, restrictions on shifts, etc. I’m all for it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #427 on: May 06, 2021, 07:25:03 PM »
They’re testing some radical measures in the minors - moving the mound back, restrictions on shifts, etc. I’m all for it.
I think restrictions on the shift could be a good idea, however, moving the mound is probably the worst idea i've ever heard.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #428 on: May 07, 2021, 09:33:55 AM »
I think restrictions on the shift could be a good idea, however, moving the mound is probably the worst idea i've ever heard.

I don't really know where I come out on this stuff.  The best way to combat the shift is to learn to hit properly.  Want to put all seven defenders who aren't the pitcher and catcher in the infield between first and second?  Have at it, but I'm laying down what would ordinarily be a terrible, hard bunt to the left side and running all the way around the bases.  As far as lowering the mound, I bet folks on DTF in 1968 thought lowering the mound was a terrible idea.  But now it's been at its current height since most of us have been alive and it works just fine.  And I bet folks in 1893 thought moving the rubber back five feet to 60'6" was a terrible idea too.  It'll be interesting to see how these things play out in the low minor leagues, but I wonder how these experiments will impact player development, which is the primary purpose of those leagues.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #429 on: May 07, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »

I don't really know where I come out on this stuff.  The best way to combat the shift is to learn to hit properly.  Want to put all seven defenders who aren't the pitcher and catcher in the infield between first and second?  Have at it, but I'm laying down what would ordinarily be a terrible, hard bunt to the left side and running all the way around the bases.  As far as lowering the mound, I bet folks on DTF in 1968 thought lowering the mound was a terrible idea.  But now it's been at its current height since most of us have been alive and it works just fine.  And I bet folks in 1893 thought moving the rubber back five feet to 60'6" was a terrible idea too.  It'll be interesting to see how these things play out in the low minor leagues, but I wonder how these experiments will impact player development, which is the primary purpose of those leagues.
Lowering the mound when they did was a good idea. We've seen major swings between pitchers dominating and batters dominated in the intervening years, based on the strategies employed by the player and managers. However, I fear moving the mound back a foot may lean too far in the hitters favor and I don't think employing it in the minor leagues is a good way to get the data they need to see if it will have the desired effect. They claim it will reduce home runs and strikeouts, all while increasing action from play to play. Trying to make baseball more "exciting" by implementing ridiculous rules I don't agree with. At any rate, time will tell.

I'm also one of those people that doesn't like the designated hitter, so.... :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #430 on: May 10, 2021, 10:16:01 AM »
However, I fear moving the mound back a foot may lean too far in the hitters favor and I don't think employing it in the minor leagues is a good way to get the data they need to see if it will have the desired effect. They claim it will reduce home runs and strikeouts, all while increasing action from play to play. Trying to make baseball more "exciting" by implementing ridiculous rules I don't agree with. At any rate, time will tell.

Well...I'm confident that moving the mound back will do three things:  (1) reduce average pitch speed; (2) increase walks (which will, in turn, increase average game length) and (3) increase injuries to pitchers.  I think it may reduce home runs because of the increase in walks and because you won't see as many home runs where the batter just sticks out his bat and the ball goes over the fence.  It might also increase strike outs because batters get more anxious and swing harder and swing at pitches they shouldn't be swinging at.

I'm also one of those people that doesn't like the designated hitter, so.... :dunno:

I don't either.  However, the DH has existed in the AL as long as I've been following baseball, and it's kinda part of the game for me.  I enjoy the novelty of having different rules depending on where the game is played.  Inter-league baseball has killed that somewhat -- and that's even more so since we've had 15 teams in each league, so there's always at least one inter-league game every day that all 30 teams are playing.

On an unrelated note, watching the Dodgers has become sadly difficult.  When I turned on the game on Saturday, I initially thought it was 0-0, but I then realized that was an "8" in the Dodgers' run column.  The Dodgers then tacked on 5 more, and I think it was 13-0, then 13-1, then 14-1.  I then joked that congratulations would be in order for the Angels' record-setting comeback and they almost proved me right.  Somehow, the Dodgers held on to win 14-11 and then came back yesterday and laid another one run egg.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #431 on: May 18, 2021, 09:40:48 AM »
So...this happened yesterday.

I first heard the news over the weekend and thought, WTF???

It's kinda cool but still a head scratcher.  The Dodgers routinely run through their entire bench in a 9-inning game so they're often left with a need to play guys in atypical positions.
 Most of the roster is versatile, but AFAIK, Pujols can't play anywhere other than first base.  For that reason, I assumed that, if he didn't go back to the Cards for a one-day and retire contract, he'd stay in the American League.

But...he had a nice RBI single yesterday, so we'll see.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2021, 07:34:16 PM »
Man Ohtani continues to amaze. Most exciting player currently.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #433 on: May 19, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »
Not that I pay much attention to baseball anymore, but this whole Yermin Mercedes story is ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as the sport's outdated "unwritten" rules.  Tony La Russa should be embarrassed for the way he has handled this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #434 on: May 19, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
Not that I pay much attention to baseball anymore, but this whole Yermin Mercedes story is ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as the sport's outdated "unwritten" rules.  Tony La Russa should be embarrassed for the way he has handled this.

I go back and forth on this. BUT if the batter missed a Take sign, as LaRussa is alleging, that's a problem, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #435 on: May 19, 2021, 10:34:11 AM »
I only just heard about this Mercedes/LaRussa thing this morning, so I'm not sure what Kev means about LaRussa being embarrassed.  And yes, missing a take sign is a problem that should be addressed between manager/coach and player in the locker room.

Trevor Bauer's tweet about this is just about perfect:  "Dear hitters: If you hit a 3-0 homer off me, I will not consider it a crime.

Dear people who are still mad about a hitter hitting: kindly get out of the game.

Can’t believe we’re still talking about 3-0 swings. If you don’t like it, managers or pitchers, just be better."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #436 on: May 19, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
La Russa should be embarrassed for not having his player's back.  Even if he disagreed with him, you still back your player publicly and then take him to task privately.  TLR not only called out Mercedes to the media, even calling him clueless, but then basically said he had no problem with the Twins throwing at him in retaliation last night.  Maybe he is so old now that he has gone senile, but he should know better than this, even with his old man mentality of sticking by the sport's outdated unwritten rules.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #437 on: May 19, 2021, 02:13:09 PM »
La Russa should be embarrassed for not having his player's back.  Even if he disagreed with him, you still back your player publicly and then take him to task privately.  TLR not only called out Mercedes to the media, even calling him clueless, but then basically said he had no problem with the Twins throwing at him in retaliation last night.  Maybe he is so old now that he has gone senile, but he should know better than this, even with his old man mentality of sticking by the sport's outdated unwritten rules.

Makes sense.  LaRussa is the poster boy for "old school" and the "unwritten rules," and one of those rules is that the manager/coach shouldn't call out the player in the media and handle it "in house."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #438 on: May 19, 2021, 05:18:35 PM »
I only just heard about this Mercedes/LaRussa thing this morning, so I'm not sure what Kev means about LaRussa being embarrassed.  And yes, missing a take sign is a problem that should be addressed between manager/coach and player in the locker room.

Trevor Bauer's tweet about this is just about perfect:  "Dear hitters: If you hit a 3-0 homer off me, I will not consider it a crime.

Dear people who are still mad about a hitter hitting: kindly get out of the game.

Can’t believe we’re still talking about 3-0 swings. If you don’t like it, managers or pitchers, just be better."
Agreed!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #439 on: May 20, 2021, 07:43:49 AM »
6 no hitters already this season.

Not sure it’s better pitching as much as it is poor hitting.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #440 on: May 20, 2021, 09:32:15 AM »
6 no hitters already this season.

Not sure it’s better pitching as much as it is poor hitting.

Oh, no, no...it's far better to hit .210 by trying to hit over the seven fielders on the right side than to hit .310 by hitting it to the left side for a guaranteed double.  I'm still waiting for a pitcher to lose his shit when he gives up a hit and/or run because of a ball hit around the shift.  Clayton Kershaw has had a couple hits against him for that reason, and you can see the look of disgust on his face.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #441 on: May 20, 2021, 04:12:59 PM »
There’s an article on ESPN about this. There’s no mystery. Most pitchers today have nigh-unhittable stuff.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #442 on: May 20, 2021, 07:05:22 PM »
There’s an article on ESPN about this. There’s no mystery. Most pitchers today have nigh-unhittable stuff.
Except for the pitcher the Giants faced today. 19 runs.... :metal :hefdaddy
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #443 on: May 24, 2021, 10:29:37 AM »
Dodgers with the weekend sweep of the Giants!!!  The only down side is that the stadium wasn't full of Giants fans who would get to suck it hard.

Good news:  Dodger Stadium at full capacity starting June 15!!!  I gotta get a game in before then so I can enjoy one of my favorite places at Angels level capacity.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #444 on: May 24, 2021, 05:28:34 PM »
Dodgers with the weekend sweep of the Giants!!!  The only down side is that the stadium wasn't full of Giants fans who would get to suck it hard.

Good news:  Dodger Stadium at full capacity starting June 15!!!  I gotta get a game in before then so I can enjoy one of my favorite places at Angels level capacity.
Yeah, I was disappointed. The Giants left Cincinnati and immediately forgot how to play baseball. Hopefully they can put up more of a fight in Dodger Stadium.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #445 on: May 27, 2021, 12:53:28 PM »
Here is one of the more brain dead plays you’ll ever see....

https://youtu.be/s60hHhEDtbw
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #446 on: May 27, 2021, 01:33:28 PM »
WOW! That first baseman was clueless.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #447 on: May 27, 2021, 01:54:24 PM »

Oh...no...no...that makes me want to cry.  What the heck was that idiot thinking?!  Just step on the fucking bag!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #448 on: May 27, 2021, 10:16:24 PM »

Oh...no...no...that makes me want to cry.  What the heck was that idiot thinking?!  Just step on the fucking bag!
I still can't believe that worked. 0 IQ play right there.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #449 on: May 28, 2021, 09:34:35 AM »

I still can't believe that worked. 0 IQ play right there.

Right?!  How was every other Pirate not screaming, "STEP ON THE FUCKING BAG!!!"  I heard clips from the manager's press conference this morning on Dan Patrick's show, and the did the trite, "that's on me," but he also, at one point, added, "well...the bag's been in the same place for 104 years, so...."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #450 on: May 29, 2021, 06:25:51 AM »
Even worse, there were two outs.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Turn around and step on the bag.  Inning over.  Wow.  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #451 on: June 01, 2021, 03:50:28 PM »
Lawsuit filed yesterday by a non-profit business organization regarding MLB's decision to move the 2021 All-Star Game from Atlanta because of the Georgia election law:  https://www.jobcreatorsnetwork.com/app/uploads/2021/05/Complaint.filed-1.pdf

Dumb decision by MLB, but I predict this lawsuit will be dismissed on multiple grounds, including lack of standing, before the 4th of July.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #452 on: June 03, 2021, 09:11:50 AM »
Lawsuit filed yesterday by a non-profit business organization regarding MLB's decision to move the 2021 All-Star Game from Atlanta because of the Georgia election law:  https://www.jobcreatorsnetwork.com/app/uploads/2021/05/Complaint.filed-1.pdf

Dumb decision by MLB, but I predict this lawsuit will be dismissed on multiple grounds, including lack of standing, before the 4th of July.

It would be a nice victory against cancel culture but as you say it probably won't happen.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #453 on: June 11, 2021, 08:57:41 PM »
Giants have the best record in baseball? I gotta dust off the hat man...

:GiantsMetal:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #454 on: June 11, 2021, 09:54:36 PM »
Giants have the best record in baseball? I gotta dust off the hat man...

:GiantsMetal:
And they had another shutout today! :GiantsMetal:
aka Puppies_On_Acid