Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread formerly the 2021 thread..  (Read 72463 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: 2020 MLB Thread
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »
After that game last night, the first thing I thought of was this thread and the conversation about unwritten rules.  :lol

Yeah they should have been striking out on purpose and throwing meatballs to the Rockies.  :rollin

Maybe the umpires should have put a tee on home plate and set the ball on it for the Rockies.  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2020, 12:51:23 PM »
Anyone else happen to catch any of the Padres @ A's game on Fox yesterday?  I'd have sworn they had pockets of fans in the stands.  Anyone know if they're starting to let folks into the games?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #247 on: September 09, 2020, 08:30:26 AM »
I saw this on Twitter and had a good laugh...

https://twitter.com/JillRTeamXRP/status/1303166317038645249?s=19
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #248 on: September 10, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
I saw this on Twitter and had a good laugh...

https://twitter.com/JillRTeamXRP/status/1303166317038645249?s=19

:lol :lol :lol

All sports commentaries should be like that!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #249 on: September 10, 2020, 03:18:15 PM »
The Braves beat the Marlins yesterday by a score of 29-9.  Apparently, it was the first time in MLB history (going back to 1871, and I don't know the significance of that year) that a game ended in that score.

I also learned a new term:  "scorigami," which apparently refers to any time a game in any sport ends in a score that has never happened before.  Supposedly, the last time a scorigami occurred in the MLB was May 19, 1999 when the Reds beat the Rockies 24-12.  Interestingly, there were apparently hundreds of ties in the early days of the MLB, including a 20-20 tie.  Also, there was a 49-33 game on June 28, 1871.

Sources:  https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/1303897302806016001 and https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/just-because-box-score-with-82-runs-74-hits-20-errors/ and https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/?date=1871-06-28

Offline pg1067

« Reply #250 on: September 10, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
Also, today is the first day ever that all of the MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA, MLS and WNBA have had games on the same day.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »
Also, today is the first day ever that all of the MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA, MLS and WNBA have had games on the same day.

MLB last place in the ratings. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2020, 07:35:54 AM »
LOL at the Brewers making the playoffs because everyone else wasn’t good enough.

Definitely winning it all now.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
LOL at the Brewers making the playoffs because everyone else wasn’t good enough.

Definitely winning it all now.

Well...I'll tell you that the sports talk radio honks and general population in the greater Los Angeles are is terror over the concept of playing a three game series (albeit coupled with a measure of relief that the Dodgers don't have to do it against the Reds' starting pitching.  There's also a vocal minority of Dodger fans expecting some sort of meltdown.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2020, 07:07:35 PM »
The Dodgers seem to always find a way to blow it in the playoffs.

And I laugh every time it happens :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2020, 07:31:51 PM »

Yeah and with 3 game series, upsets are even more possible. Tougher road than ever to win the World Series.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »

::)  They're the San Jose Sharks of MLB.  Crash and burn every postseason.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »
Brewers best starter this season got hurt in his last start and now their best reliever is out with a bad shoulder.

Thankfully Yelich is hitting .205

Go Brewers!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2020, 12:18:41 PM »
Brewers best starter this season got hurt in his last start and now their best reliever is out with a bad shoulder.

Thankfully Yelich is hitting .205

Go Brewers!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #259 on: October 01, 2020, 08:06:19 AM »
As bad as it started I’m glad they still had a chance.

For anyone who doesn’t follow the Brewers, that was their season in a nutshell, give up first inning runs, hold the rest of the way, unable to score throughout.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #260 on: October 01, 2020, 10:02:09 AM »
As bad as it started I’m glad they still had a chance.

For anyone who doesn’t follow the Brewers, that was their season in a nutshell, give up first inning runs, hold the rest of the way, unable to score throughout.

That was way more never-wracking than it should have been!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #261 on: October 01, 2020, 10:53:28 AM »
Bye Bye Cleveland. It's been 72 years, you can wait another year, your fans will understand.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #262 on: October 01, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »
Bye Bye Cleveland. It's been 72 years, you can wait another year, your fans will understand.

Friggin' Minnesota.

The Twins' last playoff win was in game 1 of the 2004 ALDS against the Yankees.  The Yankees won the next three games before going on to the most glorious ALCS ever.  The Twins were then swept in the 2006 ALDS (A's) and the 2009 and 2010 ALDS (Yankees both times), lost the 2017 AL Wild Card Game (Yankees again), were swept in the 2019 ALDS (Astros), and now have been swept again by the Yankees for 18 straight postseason losses.  Worst streak in American major professional sports history.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »
Brewers had no business being in the playoffs so I’m not disappointed they didn’t win. They have a pretty good young pitching staff so if they stay healthy they should contend again for years to come.

Don’t be surprised if Hader is dealt in the off season, it’ll be the best way to ramp up their offense, which will be sorely needed.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »
Brewers had no business being in the playoffs so I’m not disappointed they didn’t win. They have a pretty good young pitching staff so if they stay healthy they should contend again for years to come.

Don’t be surprised if Hader is dealt in the off season, it’ll be the best way to ramp up their offense, which will be sorely needed.

Man...that was a helluva pitchers' duel for half the game -- and really the whole game.  Dodgers finally showed some ability to hit with 2 strikes.  Bellinger's and Barnes's hits were nothing special, but they got the job done.  Also, as a former first baseman, I have to say that the inning should've been over on Pollack's ground ball.  That should've been dug out.  Kershaw was in vintage form, and I hope to hell he keeps that up for another 11-21 games.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »

Man...that was a helluva pitchers' duel for half the game -- and really the whole game.  Dodgers finally showed some ability to hit with 2 strikes.  Bellinger's and Barnes's hits were nothing special, but they got the job done.  Also, as a former first baseman, I have to say that the inning should've been over on Pollack's ground ball.  That should've been dug out.  Kershaw was in vintage form, and I hope to hell he keeps that up for another 11-21 games.

I’m not sure any team was beating Kershaw last night, he was on. As far as the double play, I’m not sure how much first base Gyorko has played before this season, but he became the Brewers first baseman by default as every other first baseman the Brewers had were either hurt or had been released, I don’t blame him for not being able to pick that throw.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
As far as the double play, I’m not sure how much first base Gyorko has played before this season, but he became the Brewers first baseman by default as every other first baseman the Brewers had were either hurt or had been released, I don’t blame him for not being able to pick that throw.

The ESPN announcers commented that most of Gyorko's time in the field has been at 2B & 3B.  Baseball Reference has him with 390 games at 2B, 289 games at 3B and 65 games at 1B (with 30 of those 65 games coming in 2020).  It's a bummer for the Brewers, but even an average first baseman makes that pick.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #267 on: October 05, 2020, 07:47:17 PM »
So I noticed the Yankees and Rays are playing in....San Diego??

Apparently I missed something. Does MLB have playoff bubbles?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2020, 07:56:37 AM »

Yes

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2020, 08:03:16 AM »

Started the last week of the regular season. Playoff bound teams were regulated to only go from hotel rooms to ball park and back. First round was at home stadiums, the rest of the rounds will be at neutral sites. ALCS will also be in San Diego. World Series will be played in Texas at the Rangers stadium.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #270 on: October 06, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »

Yankees v. Rays in San Diego

A's v. Astros in Los Angeles (which is just weird!)

Marlins v. Braves in Houston

Dodgers v. Padres in Arlington, TX

ALCS in San Diego

NLCS and World Series (with about 11,500 fans in the stands) in Arlington.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/09/30/mlb-allowing-fans-in-stadium-world-series-nlcs-games#:~:text=The%20league%20announced%20Wednesday%20that,on%20sale%20on%20Oct.%206.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #271 on: October 07, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »
Anyone else ever look at the Gamecast feature at ESPN.com?

On the left side of the screen, it has a "win probability" feature, which is a graph, the mid-point of which is 50, and which has 100 on either end.  At the start of the currently ongoing Marlins v. Braves game, it had a win probability of 70.2% for the Braves.  The number then fluctuated between the mid-60s and mid-70s until Swanson hit a homer to make it 1-0, which increased the number to 76.8%.  Although the score hasn't changed since then, the number got as high as 83.0% - in the bottom of the 3rd of a 1-0 game.

Yesterday, the graph in the Houston v. Oakland game actually had the number on the Astros' side of 50% even though the A's were leading.

WTF?  Is someone at ESPN just rolling 20-sided dice for this?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2020, 04:51:19 PM »
It wounds me deeply that the Astros will get to celebrate a series win on the field of Dodger Stadium.  Even worse...if the teams are switching clubhouses based on who's the home team, they'll be doing it in the Dodgers clubhouse....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #273 on: October 09, 2020, 08:40:58 PM »
It wounds me deeply that the Astros will get to celebrate a series win on the field of Dodger Stadium.  Even worse...if the teams are switching clubhouses based on who's the home team, they'll be doing it in the Dodgers clubhouse....

They're fucking cheating dogs!

Yay Rays!!!!!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #274 on: October 09, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »

This.  Hopefully the Rays can beat they bitch ass.

Glad the Yanks lost. 

I'm not confident about the Dodgers beating the Braves after the Dodgers pitching in game 2.  Bellinger saved Graterol with a great catch.  Jansen has lost it, and Kelly was BOUNCING pitches.  Braves will eat them up.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2020, 10:33:23 AM »
Soo...here's the roster of MLB HOF'ers we've lost in 2020:

RHP.........Bob Gibson
RHP.........Tom Seaver
LHP.........Whitey Ford
2B...........Joe Morgan
OF.......... Lou Brock
OF...........Al Kaline

On top of that:

1B............Bob Watson
SS............Tony Fernandez
OF.............Jimmy Wynn

Someone somewhere is trying to field one heck of a team....

Offline dparrott

« Reply #276 on: October 14, 2020, 12:39:03 AM »
Never Enough should be the Dodgers theme song.  It's gonna take a miracle now.

Rays are one away from sweeping the Asterisks!!!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #277 on: October 14, 2020, 07:44:01 AM »
Altuve errors leading to numerous runs is the stuff dreams are made of.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #278 on: October 14, 2020, 10:20:37 PM »
Well now I feel a little better about the Dodgers!  :lol  What a wild first inning!  Sucks I had to listen to it on the radio instead of watch it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #279 on: October 15, 2020, 10:10:44 AM »
Well now I feel a little better about the Dodgers!  :lol  What a wild first inning!  Sucks I had to listen to it on the radio instead of watch it.

I was at work and had forgotten that the game started early.  All of a sudden, I started getting text message, so I checked the ESPN Gamecast.  Crazy stuff!  Hopefully the momentum keeps going.