Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 134511 times)

gmillerdrake and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #1575 on: March 22, 2023, 08:40:45 AM »
Going to use this thread to vent a bit soooo....here it goes:

My in-laws are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this year......and to celebrate they've decided to take the entire family to a resort in Mexico. And I'm livid about it. Let me explain.

First off, I don't like not having a choice in the matter. I was just 'told' that by the way....you're taking your wife and kids to a third world country of which there has been all sorts of shit going down in for a while. Sure, it's a 'resort' and "everything will be fine as long as you don't leave the resort" and so forth.....but the fact of the matter that I wasn't given a choice at all doesn't and will never sit well with me. Especially when it comes to matters that directly affect my family. Which this does.

Secondly, all the siblings (their kids) just allowed them to take out a second mortgage on their home to foot the bill for all of this. Horrible idea, completely irresponsible for not one of them to bring up the fact of what a dumb idea this is. Then, we find out that since they're paying for everyone that of course they choose a cheaper airline (Frontier) and I just had to drop $700 on seat selections and baggage.....add that to the cost of getting passports for a family of (5) and I'm now $1600 deep into this "free" trip to Mexico that I had no say in the matter.

Now factor in the seaweed issue that is enveloping the entire gulf as we speak.....and by the time we get down there in June will be nice and ripe and make anything beach unbearable.....and this just keeps making the case for a dumb idea.

This thing should have been discussed.....should have taken place stateside for a fraction of the cost that would eliminate the travel headaches and dangers. I can' describe in words how F'n ticked off I am over this and the fact my family has been taken hostage by this all. And of course, I'm the 'bad guy' in all of this when discussing with my wife or brother in laws because "why am I not thankful for a 'free' trip to Mexico?' Maybe I am being a baby about it all.....I get it....you only live once, go make some memories and be happy. But I have a massive character flaw when it comes to being told what to do with no input or other options...to just shut up and do it.

I'll smile for the pictures and keep quiet about it all (unless asked or provoked) but I' don't think I'll get to the point to where I'm A) looking forward to this or B) happy about any of it. Especially since every time I turn a corner there's some other cost I have to cough up for this 'free' trip

/end rant
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1576 on: March 22, 2023, 08:53:52 AM »
Mexico is not a third world country.

I won't tell you not to be pissed about it. I'd be pissed off too based on what you describe. I will tell you that since you're stuck with it you should try to make the best of it. You're going to make yourself miserable the entire time at the rate you're going, and that's a bad move on your part. It might not be how you'd want to blow 1600, but there will be worthwhile things about it if you embrace them.

Also, those passports are good for ten years. Since you were forced to buy them make use of them. If nothing else, your kids will probably appreciate having them.

Don't discount the possibility of a cheap flight to Mexico City while you're down there. It's a nice place with tons to do. Hell, there's a decent chance a band you like will be in town while you're down there. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: March 22, 2023, 09:03:38 AM »
I dont think it's right to make someone feel forced to go on a trip.  I'd be annoyed about that myself.  Having said that, it doesn't really sound THAT bad.  There's lots of worse things than being forced to go on a vacation to a beach resort. I do kind of feel the same as you though as to not want to go to Mexico.  I'm sure it's fine and all, but it's just not worth it IMO.  I have almost no desire to personally go there. And that's why we are going to Aruba in May. (My gf was pushing Mexico)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1578 on: March 22, 2023, 09:06:35 AM »
I get wanting to celebrate such a big milestone, but certainly a discussion should've happened with everyone involved. I'm sure some sort of agreement could've been made and there would be no need for anyone to feel forced into it.

Not sure which part of Mexico it is for the trip, but I've been down there a few times, and each time I had a great time. If you have no way of getting out of it, just try to make the best of it, I'm sure there will be plenty of entertainment and things to do.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1579 on: March 22, 2023, 09:11:54 AM »
I dunno dude. If Mexico is good to help Andy Dufresne survive hell for 20 years, then it's good enough for you!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1580 on: March 22, 2023, 09:12:35 AM »

My in-laws are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this year......and to celebrate they've decided to take the entire family to a resort in Mexico. And I'm livid about it. Let me explain.

First off, I don't like not having a choice in the matter. I was just 'told' that by the way....you're taking your wife and kids to a third world country of which there has been all sorts of shit going down in for a while. Sure, it's a 'resort' and "everything will be fine as long as you don't leave the resort" and so forth.....but the fact of the matter that I wasn't given a choice at all doesn't and will never sit well with me. Especially when it comes to matters that directly affect my family. Which this does.

Secondly, all the siblings (their kids) just allowed them to take out a second mortgage on their home to foot the bill for all of this. Horrible idea, completely irresponsible for not one of them to bring up the fact of what a dumb idea this is. Then, we find out that since they're paying for everyone that of course they choose a cheaper airline (Frontier) and I just had to drop $700 on seat selections and baggage.....add that to the cost of getting passports for a family of (5) and I'm now $1600 deep into this "free" trip to Mexico that I had no say in the matter.

Now factor in the seaweed issue that is enveloping the entire gulf as we speak.....and by the time we get down there in June will be nice and ripe and make anything beach unbearable.....and this just keeps making the case for a dumb idea.

This thing should have been discussed.....should have taken place stateside for a fraction of the cost that would eliminate the travel headaches and dangers. I can' describe in words how F'n ticked off I am over this and the fact my family has been taken hostage by this all. And of course, I'm the 'bad guy' in all of this when discussing with my wife or brother in laws because "why am I not thankful for a 'free' trip to Mexico?' Maybe I am being a baby about it all.....I get it....you only live once, go make some memories and be happy. But I have a massive character flaw when it comes to being told what to do with no input or other options...to just shut up and do it.

I'll smile for the pictures and keep quiet about it all (unless asked or provoked) but I' don't think I'll get to the point to where I'm A) looking forward to this or B) happy about any of it. Especially since every time I turn a corner there's some other cost I have to cough up for this 'free' trip

/end rant

Wow, Gary, that is fucked up.

A few years ago, my family wanted to go to China. My wife's brother married a girl from China years ago, and the entire family was going to go. It was going to be a big family trip for my wife's family.

I am an extremely accommodating husband, but this was one instance where I put my foot down. I said I am NOT FUCKING going, and neither are the kids. The trip ultimately never happened and there's no way in hell I'd go or let my kids go. My wife knew I was dead serious.

I get it. Murders and kidnappings happen every day in the US too, hell even in Boston, but there's no way in hell that I would ever step foot in Mexico.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: March 22, 2023, 09:12:55 AM »
EB and Marc.....both great points. Like I said, this is only a "problem" because I had zero choice or option. I get weird about decisions that are made that affect my entire family...especially decisions that I had no say in the matter.

I don't want to ruin it for everyone else and I know that I need to alter my mindset and approach. $1,600 for an all inclusive trip for a family of 5 is an incredible deal and I 'should' be happy about it. But like I said, it's just the way it all went down. This entire trip and all the plans were made by my in-laws then they told all of us about it. I understand they're the ones paying for it so it's their 'say'....but man....it just eats at me.

I get wanting to celebrate such a big milestone, but certainly a discussion should've happened with everyone involved. I'm sure some sort of agreement could've been made and there would be no need for anyone to feel forced into it.

Not sure which part of Mexico it is for the trip, but I've been down there a few times, and each time I had a great time. If you have no way of getting out of it, just try to make the best of it, I'm sure there will be plenty of entertainment and things to do.

The resort looks incredible....it really does. I'm certain it'll be fine and a good time 'can' be had. I just need to reorganize some things mentally because right now I'm not on the 'lets go have fun' train. I'm on the 'pissed off train'.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: March 22, 2023, 09:17:22 AM »

I get it. Murders and kidnappings happen every day in the US too, hell even in Boston, but there's no way in hell that I would ever step foot in Mexico.

Yeah...I know Mexico isn't a third world country....so maybe that wasn't a fair statement. But it's dangerous as all hell, especially if you do go off of resort property.....which I don't think we will. Or should I say, I'm not going to allow any of my family to do so.

Wow, Gary, that is fucked up.

A few years ago, my family wanted to go to China. My wife's brother married a girl from China years ago, and the entire family was going to go. It was going to be a big family trip for my wife's family.

I am an extremely accommodating husband, but this was one instance where I put my foot down. I said I am NOT FUCKING going, and neither are the kids. The trip ultimately never happened and there's no way in hell I'd go or let my kids go. My wife knew I was dead serious.

Totally get it and am 100% on board with you. I honestly thing the reason my in laws paid for and organized all this behind all our backs is that they know thier three son in laws would have never agreed to it. Which pisses me off even more that they just 'did' this without any discussion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: March 22, 2023, 09:19:19 AM »
EB and Marc.....both great points. Like I said, this is only a "problem" because I had zero choice or option. I get weird about decisions that are made that affect my entire family...especially decisions that I had no say in the matter.

This is me as well.  I get really torn up when someone, even with good intentions, tries to make plans on my behalf without including me in the discussion.  I'm like basically the forgotten one in my family so it constantly happens that the rest of the family make extravagant plans without me and expect me to pay in and attend as well.  It's very frustrating for me to deal with so I can very much relate to your situation and the feeling it brings to me.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1584 on: March 22, 2023, 09:28:46 AM »
Yeah...I know Mexico isn't a third world country....so maybe that wasn't a fair statement. But it's dangerous as all hell, especially if you do go off of resort property.....which I don't think we will. Or should I say, I'm not going to allow any of my family to do so.

It depends on what town you're in and what times you're off-property.  My wife and I went to Cabo San Lucas 10 years ago and received common-sense advice from a friend.  During the daytime, sight-seeing is safe.  We took a water taxi to town, walked around the streets, did some shopping, had lunch.  At night, it's a different story - take a taxi to and from the resort, and don't be out walking on the streets after 10pm. 

We chose to stay at the resort at night, since neither of us felt like clubbing and we spent our days drinking by the pool and slept it off after a later dinner.  I know it's been 10 years, but if I went back to Cabo, I'd generally feel safe about being in town during the day. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1585 on: March 22, 2023, 10:12:49 AM »

Unless you're planning on vacationing in some backwater border town, and you are not, it'll almost certainly be a helluva lot safer than St. Louis. And that's for the actual resort towns, rather than the resort properties. Moreover, the crime you'll likely encounter will be tourism related. Somebody trying to sell me a bag of grass is hardly a crime against me. You won't be shot, beaten, or stabbed because you're a white guy. I realize that you wouldn't vacation in St Louis, either, but I'm guessing you're not terrified of it. The fear-mongering here is a little much. You're not traveling to Mogadishu.

Also, I can only speak for CDMX, but I think you might be surprised by the number of cops you'll see. They're ubiquitous, and unlike here, they're actually there to look out for you. Tourism is their lifeblood, and keeping you safe is very important to them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1586 on: March 22, 2023, 10:27:40 AM »
Guilty of fear mongering.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1587 on: March 22, 2023, 10:35:08 AM »
Can't really add more than what has already been said.  On board with the anger for being kept out of the loop, but also supportive of El Barto's assessment (and he's probably spent more time in Mexico than all of us combined).  In very specific locations - where you're not going (that is, the backwater border towns) - you might have trouble, but that's like me going to Harlem or Bridgeport, CT. I'm in just as much a precarious situation there as well. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1588 on: March 22, 2023, 10:42:08 AM »
But it's one thing for El Barto, who is a seasoned traveler, and well, I'm not saying he looks Mexican, but he looks more Mexican than I do. :lol

Plus, if I was a Spring Breaker or single, that'd be one thing, but when you bring your own children into another country, there's just more to think about.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1589 on: March 22, 2023, 10:53:18 AM »
But it's one thing for El Barto, who is a seasoned traveler, and well, I'm not saying he looks Mexican, but he looks more Mexican than I do. :lol
That doesn't exactly work the way you think it does. Bigotry isn't as much a thing down there as it is up here. A Mexican up here will get it a lot worse than a white guy down there. Moreover, see again about the tourism. They tend to be pretty accommodating to gringos down there. Also, the beard makes me the furthest thing from a Mexican. I stick out like a sore thumb. People want to take selfies with me, FFS.  :lol

Plus, if I was a Spring Breaker or single, that'd be one thing, but when you bring your own children into another country, there's just more to think about.
Yes and no, but it goes both ways. Maybe the kids would benefit greatly from being exposed to other worlds. At least Mexico I can kind of understand. FOX has people convinced that white parts of America are the only places in the world that aren't full blown combat zones. China baffled me, though. That's something that might have had a profound, positive effect on one or more of your kids. A friend went to Russia with his school class when he was a lad, and considers himself all the better for it. Wish I'd had such an experience.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: March 22, 2023, 10:53:44 AM »

Don't disagree.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1591 on: March 22, 2023, 10:58:23 AM »
That doesn't exactly work the way you think it does. Bigotry isn't as much a thing down there as it is up here. A Mexican up here will get it a lot worse than a white guy down there. Moreover, see again about the tourism. They tend to be pretty accommodating to gringos down there. Also, the beard makes me the furthest thing from a Mexican. I stick out like a sore thumb. People want to take selfies with me, FFS.  :lol

Yes and no, but it goes both ways. Maybe the kids would benefit greatly from being exposed to other worlds. At least Mexico I can kind of understand. FOX has people convinced that white parts of America are the only places in the world that aren't full blown combat zones. China baffled me, though. That's something that might have had a profound, positive effect on one or more of your kids. A friend went to Russia with his school class when he was a lad, and considers himself all the better for it. Wish I'd had such an experience.

Bart, I totally understand your very valid points.

But I don't consider myself bigoted or a Fox zealot.
I guess when making any decisions, we have to lay out the pros and cons of it, and make the best decision we can for ourselves.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1592 on: March 22, 2023, 11:07:25 AM »

Bart, I totally understand your very valid points.

But I don't consider myself bigoted or a Fox zealot.
I guess when making any decisions, we have to lay out the pros and cons of it, and make the best decision we can for ourselves.
Nor do I. And I'm not looking to call you out. I just think people might be acting on dubious information, and that's kind of a sore spot for me. I'll be heading to Chicago this Spring, and to listen to people now you'd think I'd be shot before I even made it out of the airport.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: March 22, 2023, 11:13:44 AM »
There's little doubt in my mind that walking the streets of NYC is more dangerous than going to a resort in Mexico.  I, personally, just don't see the draw to going there over other spots for a beach trip however.  That's just me though, the "crime" is only a very small part of that decision. I dislike the "don't drink the water" significantly more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1594 on: March 22, 2023, 11:17:35 AM »
Nor do I. And I'm not looking to call you out. I just think people might be acting on dubious information, and that's kind of a sore spot for me. I'll be heading to Chicago this Spring, and to listen to people now you'd think I'd be shot before I even made it out of the airport.

Well, I have a finite number of TACations to take, and if I really have to convince myself to go, then it moves down on the list.
We've been to Chicago with the kids and had a very nice time.

And dubious info? I see the news. I don't lean left or right. It is what it is. A girl goes to get a tummy tuck and half the party is killed. Probably at least 100 that made it in and out without a problem.

If I had this innate need to go to Mexico, I'd research it and figure it out but for now, the ride at EPCOT will suffice.  :lol

There's little doubt in my mind that walking the streets of NYC is more dangerous than going to a resort in Mexico.  I, personally, just don't see the draw to going there over other spots for a beach trip however.  That's just me though, the "crime" is only a very small part of that decision. I dislike the "don't drink the water" significantly more.

I am, however, bigoted about beach trips.  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: March 22, 2023, 11:20:22 AM »

I am, however, bigoted about beach trips.  ;D

I used to be too, but doing nothing in the tropics with a drink is a very nice thing Ive come around to enjoying as I get older.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1596 on: March 22, 2023, 11:22:05 AM »
I must say, my favorite thing to do at the beach is to sit on the beach under an umbrella with some music going, a drink in one hand and a cigar in the other.  That can be done at a LOT of different beaches.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: March 22, 2023, 11:26:33 AM »

Well, I have a finite number of TACations to take, and if I really have to convince myself to go, then it moves down on the list.
We've been to Chicago with the kids and had a very nice time.

And dubious info? I see the news. I don't lean left or right. It is what it is. A girl goes to get a tummy tuck and half the party is killed. Probably at least 100 that made it in and out without a problem.

If I had this innate need to go to Mexico, I'd research it and figure it out but for now, the ride at EPCOT will suffice:lol

And not even that; they used to have this great drink - a horchata - ONLY in Mexico, and last time we were there it wasn't available.  I had to drink this fruity black cherry frosty something or other.  Didn't cut the mustard.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1598 on: March 22, 2023, 11:58:23 AM »
Yeah, I don't really see the appeal of a beach vacation at all, but that's just me. The sun is not my friend, and I like being on the move. The appeal of Mexico to me is good concerts, better crowds, and great food for nearly nada. And "don't drink the water" isn't really much of a thing anymore. Not only is it pretty clean nowadays, when you travel do you drink the water anywhere?
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1599 on: March 22, 2023, 12:13:06 PM »
And "don't drink the water" isn't really much of a thing anymore. Not only is it pretty clean nowadays, when you travel do you drink the water anywhere?

Only if it's safe and tastes good (which obviously I can't tell until I try it).  I do my research before drinking from a tap in a foreign country (or even in the US, for example LA is apparently safe but it tastes nasty to me so I won't drink it)  Singapore has great tasting tap water that is completely safe.  Aruba also does.  I also drink a shit ton of water (specifically ice cold water) so it probably is something I put more weight to than others and if I'm going to a beach resort, I'm going to need to drink even more water and take into account the ice in my cocktails.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: March 22, 2023, 12:28:46 PM »
don't really see the appeal of a beach vacation at all, but that's just me.

I'm good for one day at the beach. After that it's just boring and uneventful. My all time favorite family vacation thus far (my family) is when we went to Breckenridge two summers ago. Lots of hiking, biking, swimming in nice lakes.....just really fun stuff. I prefer the mountains, woods etc etc over the beach. Like I said....about three or four hours into a beach session and I'm over it. ESPECIALLY when we did beach vacations when the boys were younger. Young kids on the beach are nothing but constant work....it's not even a vacation it's just never ending solving issue after issue.

There will be (4) kids on this trip that are 5 and under. Thankfully not mine....but just being present I'll get roped into having to take care of and watch them because one of my bro in laws is 62 (yes....my sis in law married a guy over 30 years older than her and they now have twin three year olds) so he is pretty much over raising kids and she does everything......my other bro in law who has two kids that are 5 and 3 is literally +/-500lbs  so there isn't a whole lot of participation there either.....so my other sis in law is usually running ragged after them. By default....I generally end up having to participate in parenting activities that I've already put my time in on and it gets old real quick.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1601 on: March 22, 2023, 12:47:11 PM »
And "don't drink the water" isn't really much of a thing anymore. Not only is it pretty clean nowadays, when you travel do you drink the water anywhere?

Only if it's safe and tastes good (which obviously I can't tell until I try it).  I do my research before drinking from a tap in a foreign country (or even in the US, for example LA is apparently safe but it tastes nasty to me so I won't drink it)  Singapore has great tasting tap water that is completely safe.  Aruba also does.  I also drink a shit ton of water (specifically ice cold water) so it probably is something I put more weight to than others and if I'm going to a beach resort, I'm going to need to drink even more water and take into account the ice in my cocktails.
Bottled water has just become so ingrained in me when I travel sampling the local tap water never comes up. I walk into every hotel with two 1L bottles, and if it's a road trip the very first stop after the airport is Walmart for a cooler, case of water, and two bags of ice. I also drink a ton of water, what with the kidney thing and all, so drinking good water is worth the added cost and hassle.

And one of the neat things about Mexico is that the local convenience stores have lots of flavours of water that you've never heard of, but are typically pretty good. Until you've looked into it you never realize how many different kinds of fruit there are that we don't know about. I'll grab a L of plain and a L of mystery water.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1602 on: March 22, 2023, 12:48:55 PM »

I'm good for one day at the beach. After that it's just boring and uneventful. My all time favorite family vacation thus far (my family) is when we went to Breckenridge two summers ago. Lots of hiking, biking, swimming in nice lakes.....just really fun stuff. I prefer the mountains, woods etc etc over the beach. Like I said....about three or four hours into a beach session and I'm over it. ESPECIALLY when we did beach vacations when the boys were younger. Young kids on the beach are nothing but constant work....it's not even a vacation it's just never ending solving issue after issue.

There will be (4) kids on this trip that are 5 and under. Thankfully not mine....but just being present I'll get roped into having to take care of and watch them because one of my bro in laws is 62 (yes....my sis in law married a guy over 30 years older than her and they now have twin three year olds) so he is pretty much over raising kids and she does everything......my other bro in law who has two kids that are 5 and 3 is literally +/-500lbs  so there isn't a whole lot of participation there either.....so my other sis in law is usually running ragged after them. By default....I generally end up having to participate in parenting activities that I've already put my time in on and it gets old real quick.
You could always fake covid. :dunno:
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1603 on: March 22, 2023, 12:48:59 PM »
I would have reacted the exact same way as you, especially after the incurred costs. I guarantee I would be screaming and yelling about it. I also have no interest in a beach vacation. Seems boring. Just expensive swimming which I could do right here.

I also have no interest in stepping foot in Mexico regardless of how they view us. I just read and hear too many stories about people getting robbed, corrupt cops, etc.

And as a suburban resident of Chicago who frequently has to be downtown and attends many a concert there, I never have the slightest fear of being shot.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: March 22, 2023, 01:00:09 PM »

Bottled water has just become so ingrained in me when I travel sampling the local tap water never comes up. I walk into every hotel with two 1L bottles, and if it's a road trip the very first stop after the airport is Walmart for a cooler, case of water, and two bags of ice. I also drink a ton of water, what with the kidney thing and all, so drinking good water is worth the added cost and hassle.

And one of the neat things about Mexico is that the local convenience stores have lots of flavours of water that you've never heard of, but are typically pretty good. Until you've looked into it you never realize how many different kinds of fruit there are that we don't know about. I'll grab a L of plain and a L of mystery water.  :lol

It's probably a life style thing.  My brother refuses to drink any tap water.  I only drink the tap water (via a filter) at home.  It's just not cost effective to drink bottled and I don't think the benefit is there, for me, when the tap water is safe and tastes good.  I take that mentality when I travel. Just one less thing to worry about too.  I do the same thing when I travel to LA, immediately hit up a store to get jugs of water.  I'd rather avoid that step.  Once again, not make or break to deciding where to go on it's own, but it adds to the pros and cons for me.  Water gets pretty heavy to carry around too.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1605 on: March 22, 2023, 01:48:53 PM »
Yeah, I don't really see the appeal of a beach vacation at all, but that's just me.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I can literally sit at a beach by a lake in Minnesota. Sure not the same as the ocean in Mexico, particularly in the winter, but I don't need to travel thousands of miles for water and sand. And the last thing I want to do it sit around getting sunburnt.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: March 22, 2023, 02:20:17 PM »

I take back everything I said; now I get why you were angry!!

(I kid, brother, I kid; I'm not making fun of your family!!)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1607 on: March 22, 2023, 02:26:21 PM »

Dammit Gary..you've fucking pissed me off!  :lol
I feel for ya. The whole thing sounds brutal.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: March 22, 2023, 02:26:36 PM »

You could always fake covid. :dunno:

The best way to get a ten day break!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: March 22, 2023, 03:27:59 PM »

/end rant

Tell them to fuck off and you're not going.  That would piss me off too.  The nerve of them just making a decision like that and expect you to be grateful about it.  Fuck that.  People really are fucking oblivious sometimes.  I think you have every right to be annoyed mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.