Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177271 times)

Offline ehra

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #315 on: January 16, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »
I always heard that there was a lot that was supposed to make it in FFVII that never got finished due to time constraints. It's been forever since I checked, but I think I remember reading about there being some unused files/text on the CDs. It being their first game for that generation, I could definitely see FFVII having a lot more cut content than, say, VIII or IX. Then again, maybe anything that was cut from VII has already been used in all of these spinoffs (none of which I've played, unfortunately).

Either way, that tech demo was amazing and it would be fucking cruel as hell of them to release an updated VII intro as a tech demo then have no intention of doing anything else for another 10 years.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:15:23 PM by ehra »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
I always heard that there was a lot that was supposed to make it in FFVII that never got finished due to time constraints. It's been forever since I checked, but I think I remember reading about there being some unused files/text on the CDs. It being their first game for that generation, I could definitely see FFVII having a lot more cut content than, say, VIII or IX. Then again, maybe anything that was cut from VII has already been used in all of these spinoffs (none of which I've played, unfortunately).

Either way, that tech demo was amazing it would be fucking cruel as hell of them to release an updated VII intro as a tech demo then have no intention of doing anything else for another 10 years.
Exactly my reasoning. I still have hope.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2010, 10:17:27 PM »
The fact that you can buy, download, and play Final Fantasies 7 and 8 on a PS3 has considerably pushed me towards getting one.

Offline ehra

« Reply #318 on: January 16, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »
Wait a second... I was reading some comments on the tech demo video and I noticed this (Crisis Core spoilers).

Someone said that scene is actually the Crisis Core outro.

If that's true then, to me, that significantly reduces the chances of there being a VII remake anytime soon.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: January 16, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »
When the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII started, I believe something was mentioned where they wanted it to end on its 20th anniversary.

I'd say, if we're getting a remake, it'd be happening in 2017.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ehra

« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2010, 10:29:30 PM »
THAT'S FIVE YEARS TOO LATE

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: January 16, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »
Yeah. Nomura himself said they'd like to make one, actually, but that we'd have to wait awhile :lol

Offline j

« Reply #322 on: January 16, 2010, 11:11:38 PM »
Yu Yevon was the one I really struggled with.

True, I would argue he may have been the hardest final boss ever, that guy was ridiculous.

These are joke posts...right?  I thought that your team got revived infinitely each time they died, and you didn't even have to do anything.

-J

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #323 on: January 16, 2010, 11:47:32 PM »
I don't know about his but mine was completely serious.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline j

« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2010, 12:23:36 AM »
Ah, thanks.  That clears things up nicely. :lol

-J

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #325 on: January 17, 2010, 03:08:03 AM »
No love for FF5 in this thread  :'(

FF5 is probably the hardest in the series.  I never finished the whole game though.  The job system was pretty cool.  I remember the story being pretty good too.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: January 17, 2010, 03:55:57 AM »
Yu Yevon was simple. You didn't even have to attack him. He would just Ultima himself to death while you kept getting rescued by the auto-life. How is a boss where you can't die considered hard?
These are joke posts...right?  I thought that your team got revived infinitely each time they died, and you didn't even have to do anything.

-J
You guys may need one of these:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #327 on: January 17, 2010, 04:37:30 AM »
When the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII started, I believe something was mentioned where they wanted it to end on its 20th anniversary.

That would be awesome. It'd presumably be on the PS4 by then as well...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: January 17, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »
Hmm, I wonder if Sony will follow suit with their next console and name it PS4. It seems like they'd have to stop eventually...

Offline ehra

« Reply #329 on: January 17, 2010, 08:30:46 AM »
No love for FF5 in this thread  :'(

FF5 is probably the hardest in the series.  I never finished the whole game though.  The job system was pretty cool.  I remember the story being pretty good too.

I love that game. Like I said earlier in this thread, the job system is why that one (and Tactics) is the only FF I'll really replay regularly. I haven't looked into the new FF MMO at all, but I'm really hoping that they use the job system again (and that the game ends up actually being..... you know..... good).

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »
XIV is using a job system, as far as I know. Wikipedia has a solid entry on what we know so far about it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »

That would make sense.  Right now they can still sell it successfully as a download as they're probably catching many new fans with the compilation series.  Well, it would sell without new fans, but I'm saying the compilation is a boost.

A remake to finish off the compilation would be a tremendous way to wrap things up.  If sales of the downloadable VII have dried up some by then it'll only be a boost to the sales of the remake.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »
If FFVII was a title on a future Sony system, it would shift consoles, particularly to people who might have been disappointed with the PS3. I think a FFVII remake would save Sony.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »
Even if the PS3 isn't selling as well as other consoles I don't think it needs any saving.  We'll probably pick one up when it gets down around $200.

As for VII shifting consoles Sony had better fork over some money to SquareEnix for that to happen.  If I were controlling the VII property I would want a remake going to a console that has a tremendous base already installed just to be sure I don't hurt the property by unexpected poor sales.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
I meant shifting as in selling. I know a ton of people who would buy whatever console a FFVII remake was on.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »
I know what you meant, I just think with a brand like VII they'll want an established base rather than be thinking about what they can do for Sony.  People will buy a console for VII, I agree, but how much is hard to judge, especially if you start putting price tags as high as the PS3 originally was or face putting a strain on the console's supply chain so that people can't get one when they're ready to buy.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #336 on: January 17, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »
If FFVII was a title on a future Sony system, it would shift consoles, particularly to people who might have been disappointed with the PS3. I think a FFVII remake would save Sony.

I don't think anyone is disappointed in the PS3 as a console at all, it has by far the best features and services out of today's consoles.

But if we're talking about games and how the PS3 "HAZ NO GAMEZ" that's bullshite. It has great games, but the only people who complain are the people who want to play party games and be all social and whatnot with their friends rather than playing more long, 'hardcore gamer' games.

Not to mention the Nintendo fanboys who would rather cut their genitalia off with a dull spoon than buy a game that doesn't involve platform jumping.

And it would suck major ass if a FFVII remake came out on anything other than a Sony console. It would lose all of its novelty at that point and go straight to the gullets of the thousands of 'I never played FF games but 7 is teh best them' gamers.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #337 on: January 17, 2010, 10:46:57 AM »
VII has already been released on PC for years.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: January 17, 2010, 10:47:45 AM »
Yeah, but that's different. VIII has as well.

Offline j

« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »
I don't think anyone is disappointed in the PS3 as a console at all, it has by far the best features and services out of today's consoles.

But if we're talking about games and how the PS3 "HAZ NO GAMEZ" that's bullshite. It has great games, but the only people who complain are the people who want to play party games and be all social and whatnot with their friends rather than playing more long, 'hardcore gamer' games.

Not to mention the Nintendo fanboys who would rather cut their genitalia off with a dull spoon than buy a game that doesn't involve platform jumping.

And it would suck major ass if a FFVII remake came out on anything other than a Sony console. It would lose all of its novelty at that point and go straight to the gullets of the thousands of 'I never played FF games but 7 is teh best them' gamers.

lol at this post.

Hmm, I wonder if Sony will follow suit with their next console and name it PS4. It seems like they'd have to stop eventually...

Why would they have to stop?  Square Enix continues to name the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series with numbers, and are showing no signs of stopping.  I think there are enough whole numbers to last quite awhile.  :P

-J

Offline ehra

« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
I would definitely buy any system a FFVII remake came out on (once the price was decent, of course). Heck, same with Kingdom Hearts 3. The only thing keeping me from getting anything now is that I've been playing MMOs so much recently that I really have NO idea what other games I'd get.

edit: As for the FFVII DTF playthrough, if I remember later tonight I'll take a look at a walkthrough and see if I can find some decent places to stop every week.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: January 17, 2010, 11:24:16 AM »
Ummm...it does? Xbox Live is light years ahead of PSN.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:34 AM »
Eh, you get what you pay for. PSN is lackluster compared to Xbox Live, but it's also free, so it suits my needs pretty well. Online gaming is overrated anyway.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2010, 11:32:42 AM »

I meant mostly in terms of hardware. And the differences in the live services aren't really that substantial.

EDIT: Also, if I don't like something related to games, I not only don't like it, I hate it. So don't mind any of my gaming posts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:57:32 AM by sonatafanica »

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: January 17, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »

I meant mostly in terms of hardware. And the differences in the live services aren't really that substantial.

Yes they are. A system where you can't voice chat with friends playing a different game than you is useless to me.

Lets not turn this into a console debate thread though.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: January 17, 2010, 12:51:13 PM »
Back to an FF related topic. I've played minimal parts of VI, VIII, and IX, and I want to pick one of those up again, but I can't choose which one. Help me out.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: January 17, 2010, 12:51:50 PM »
IX then VI then VIII

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2010, 12:54:46 PM »
Lies.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.