Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 175518 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2010, 12:55:40 AM »
It didn't for me, but it was probably an optional setting that I turned off or something. If you left it on it's your own stupid fault. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:58 AM »
Maybe but if it was an option, I most likely kept it on because I felt like I had more control using the stopping way.

Offline j

« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2010, 01:20:47 AM »
Exaggeration - it doesn't exist on the internet. Apparently (referencing the 90% thing).

Exaggeration can still make an implication.  The number wasn't relevant, but you certainly implied that the end of the game is when the bulk of sidequests must be done in Final Fantasy games.  That is absurd, not the exaggeration itself.
Look at Final Fantasy VII then. There's three or four during the beginning (getting the extra characters and the one where you're materia is stolen) and then all the other ones are at the end (fighting all the weapons, that stupid forest with all the puzzles, getting all the awesome materia (which either involves having an insanely good chocobo or going to the last area of the game or having a submarine) etc.

Don't forget the safe in the mansion.  And the tower with the bird on top that you fight those strategy battles in.  I think there are more too, although you're right in that most of the memorable ones are saved for the end of the game.

/uninvited and unhelpful contribution

-J

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2010, 01:52:35 AM »
Oh yes, the safe one is good but those strategy battles aren't even worth a mention :P . I avoided those like the plague :lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
Oh yes, the safe one is good but those strategy battles aren't even worth a mention :P . I avoided those like the plague :lol
Yeah, I avoided those, too, oh well.

Yuffie and Vincent are both sidequests in their own right.  You could also do things like defeat Yuffie's dad and find the sunken ship for powerful weapons prior to endgame, too.  Tons of stuff to do in the Golden Saucer, albeit a place I was mostly just annoyed with so didn't bother! :p  There was something with an old guy in a house out on a peninsula if you went and found him.  Yeah, there were big ones near end game, but it still had plenty of others to do.

Just beat Crisis Core. It's obviously far from perfect, and the battle system wasn't really my thing (I prefer the oldschool ATB system, and I got by by doing nothing but Thundaga), but I still enjoyed it, which is surprising, considering the number of things that could have gone wrong with a FFVII prequel.

I got maybe half way though this game while I was on vacation in Wisconsin.  Playing it little by little, I kind of like the battle system, but I agree the ATB is better.  Fine with me, though, this is interesting in its own right and the ATB might make it feel too much not its own game compared to FFVII.  Yuffie is awesome, that is all I can say about this game so far.

Actually, I don't get it, Yuffie would probably annoy me in most games, but for some reason she's probably the most awesome character in the whole FFVII world, to me.

I'm playing through Dissidia right now; it's just one big goodie bag of nostalgia, and that's certainly my kind of thing. Besides, you get to kick ass as Kefka and the FFII Emperor, though I hope there's a sequel with a better selection of characters.
I love this game, and the size is somewhat daunting.  Played through the Shade Impulse story with Firion and put it away for a later time.  There is just so much to the game, but very, very cool for anyone that's played a number of Final Fantasy games and loved them.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2010, 01:03:33 PM »
The sunken ship sidequest is pretty much at the end of the game :P

When I mentioned finding Yuffie and Vincent, I did mean that as 2 separate sidequests.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2010, 01:13:52 PM »
The sunken ship sidequest is pretty much at the end of the game :P

It was?  I thought I did that on the second disc, but yeah, I guess if it was almost to the end of the second disc it would be pretty much endgame.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2010, 04:58:10 AM »
Oh well.

Any of you guys seen the trailer for FFXIII that comes with the blu-ray version of Advent Children? It looks immense!

Offline j

« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2010, 06:29:09 AM »
Actually, I don't get it, Yuffie would probably annoy me in most games, but for some reason she's probably the most awesome character in the whole FFVII world, to me.

Gah I always hated her.  She was so annoying as a character and I thought she was lame looking too, so I never used her.  I tend to dislike "kid" characters in most games like this; I don't know what roles the creators are trying to fill with them, but they seem to just have qualities that grate on me.

The only other character I never used was Aeris, after learning that I couldn't use her beyond a certain point.  The difference is that, unlike Yuffie (from what I can remember), there are times you're *required* to use her.

And I've never played Crisis Core (don't have a PSP).  Maybe that will make me change my mind, if I ever get around to playing it.

-J

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: January 14, 2010, 06:30:57 AM »

Gah I always hated her.  She was so annoying as a character and I thought she was lame looking too, so I never used her.  I tend to dislike "kid" characters in most games like this; I don't know what roles the creators are trying to fill with them, but they seem to just have qualities that grate on me.
Does that mean you disliked Vivi? :(

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #255 on: January 14, 2010, 07:07:24 AM »
VIVI IS THE BEST THEM, ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WILL FEEL HIS WRATH.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #256 on: January 14, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »

Does that mean you disliked Vivi? :(

Actually, I hadn't thought of him.  Now that you mention it, I guess he's the glaring exception.  He was one of my favorite characters from FFIX, which is one of my favorite FF games.

So you can relax now, ariich.  May I suggest a sedative of some kind? :biggrin:

-J

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2010, 08:40:22 AM »
All is right with the world :hat

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #258 on: January 14, 2010, 09:11:12 AM »
I'm playing through VII right now. Such an amazing game. I'm about to get Red XIII and I just stole the Hardedge from the Soldier 3rd's. Cloud is now twice as powerful. Ever since the Ocarina of Time DTF Playthrough thing happened, I've been wanting to do it with VII too. Would enough people be interested?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #259 on: January 14, 2010, 09:11:33 AM »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2010, 09:15:55 AM »
I'm playing through VII right now. Such an amazing game. I'm about to get Red XIII and I just stole the Hardedge from the Soldier 3rd's. Cloud is now twice as powerful. Ever since the Ocarina of Time DTF Playthrough thing happened, I've been wanting to do it with VII too. Would enough people be interested?
I completed VII again a couple of months ago so I don't think I would be in.

All is right with the world :hat

WE NEED THIS EMOTICON

Offline ehra

« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »

How did that go? Everyone agreed to reach a certain point by a certain day then talk about it? I'd be interested in giving something like that a try.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
Yeah, something along those lines. I'll organize it if enough people feel like doing it. Let's say...between 5 and 10?

Also, just to get a preemptive strike (lol c wut i did thar), does anyone have suggestions as to where the checkpoints should be? It is an extremely long game, and I'm not sure how much is too much for a week. Right now my gut is to split Midgar in half. I'll have to think on where other logical checkpoints would be.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2010, 11:38:42 AM »
I remember whenver FF7 came out, my friends mom bought it for me as a random gift. It was the first RPG game that I ever played. So I pop it in, and im playing the first area and im seriously not understanding why I cant just take a few steps with these enemies popping up and attacking. And boy did I hate the combat. I kept on thinking to "Why the heck would they fight each other taking turns?" So yeah, I stopped playing the game right after the very first boss. :P
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »

The only other character I never used was Aeris, after learning that I couldn't use her beyond a certain point.  The difference is that, unlike Yuffie (from what I can remember), there are times you're *required* to use her.

And I've never played Crisis Core (don't have a PSP).  Maybe that will make me change my mind, if I ever get around to playing it.

-J

Yuffie

If you don't like Yuffie now you won't like her in Crisis Core.  You can choose how much interaction you have with her, though.  An inconsequential spoiler is that she gets a hold of Zack's email address and if you never do any of the missions she 'assigns' to you then you'll only see her once.

Yuffie almost single handedly took out Sephiroth, not counting the final blow by Cloud obviously, when I played VII.  I ended up with what I believe was her ultimate weapon(the Conformer?) and she did full damage every time.  Interesting weapon, she couldn't do much damage to weak enemies with it but she would destroy bosses.

Aeris

I didn't use her either.  Never liked her at all as she was annoying and I was cheering on Tifa/Cloud the whole way! :p  However, unlike Yuffie, Aeris does have a significant role in Crisis Core and I find myself really liking her character in this game.  We shall see how that goes by the time I finish.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2010, 04:20:17 AM »
I just realised something. I don't think the Americans got the option of using the "Expert" sphere grid on Final Fantasy X. Only the PAL/International release got this. This allows all the characters to start off in the middle of the sphere grid and go any where they like. This may explain the differences in our opinions when it comes to the freedom of the sphere grid.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2010, 07:03:29 AM »
I just realised something. I don't think the Americans got the option of using the "Expert" sphere grid on Final Fantasy X. Only the PAL/International release got this. This allows all the characters to start off in the middle of the sphere grid and go any where they like. This may explain the differences in our opinions when it comes to the freedom of the sphere grid.
Stupid Europeans and their getting cool stuff.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
That does sound like a big improvement ...so do you know how they changed anything else?  I would guess the locking system had to be different somehow.

Oh well, good for all you PAL peeps.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
Yeah. Theres a few things but I'll have to post them later since this discussion has got me playing FFX again.

I'm currently playing it on my second monitor while browsing DTF and using MSN on this monitor :hat

Offline Anaesthesia

• pastry
« Reply #269 on: January 15, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »
Ugh I wanna play Dissidia sfm but I can't affort a psp. Q___Q
120 px height.
In visible light // last fm

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
Ugh I wanna play Dissidia sfm but I can't affort a psp. Q___Q

I'm in the same boat, perhaps even worse because my best friend is a global mod on the largest Dissidia related website in english...in other words I am closely associated with a major Dissidia player and yet I've never gotten a character above level 10 -_-

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »
Dissidia is so much fun. I need to rent it again so I can actually beat it.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
Is it actually any good?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: January 15, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »
I like it a lot. You can play as the main character or villain from the first 10 games, and there's a fun story mode where you only play as the heroes. They each have a short story. The fighting is addictive, and the best part of the game. I like the voice acting, but some people have complained about it.

Overall, I'd give it a rental, because it's definitely not for everyone, but definitely buy it if you would gain satisfaction beating the shit out of Tidus again and again and again.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #274 on: January 15, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
I like it a lot. You can play as the main character or villain from the first 10 games, and there's a fun story mode where you only play as the heroes. They each have a short story. The fighting is addictive, and the best part of the game. I like the voice acting, but some people have complained about it.

Overall, I'd give it a rental, because it's definitely not for everyone, but definitely buy it if you would gain satisfaction beating the shit out of Tidus again and again and again.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »
Might have to get it for my PSP...some way or another.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »
Dissidia is packed full of stuff for anyone that loves Final Fantasy, really a great fan service package.  The interactions between all the heroes is entertaining and there is just so much to do, you just keep unlocking new things as you play.

As mentioned each hero has an individual base story, and then the Shade Impulse story follows after those.  I beat that set of stories, but I know there are two or three more story lines that follow that have to be unlocked somehow.

I can't imagine trying to go for 100% completion of this game, there's just so much stuff, and I count that as a big positive for this game.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »
Yeah, something along those lines. I'll organize it if enough people feel like doing it. Let's say...between 5 and 10?

Also, just to get a preemptive strike (lol c wut i did thar), does anyone have suggestions as to where the checkpoints should be? It is an extremely long game, and I'm not sure how much is too much for a week. Right now my gut is to split Midgar in half. I'll have to think on where other logical checkpoints would be.

I would definitely be up for playing it with you guys. I have already been planning on playing through it with some other friends anyways so I'll just do it with them and DTF at the same time.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2010, 04:03:23 PM »
Alright. That's three.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: January 16, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
YESSSSS. Just beat the Luca Goers in the first Blitzball match you play.