Author Topic: So I met Mike Portnoy today at the Big 4 Show...  (Read 20635 times)

Offline tjanuranus

So I met Mike Portnoy today at the Big 4 Show...
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:12:23 AM »
I was standing in the Room to pick up VIP tix and Portnoy walks in with the guys from that metal show. He comes up to me because I had my 25th anniversary DT shirt on and said... "Yeah man! Representin'!" I laughed and then he went to the back of my shirt and tugged on it to show his friends. He said... "You see this era right here.. THAT's the era!"

Then i said i have been a DT fan for over 15 years and it was great to meet him. He said thanks and that was it. That was insane out of NOWHERE he came up to me.

Then we get up to the VIP box and Triple H was in there, Chris Jericho, Jim Bruer, Jim Florentine, Morgan sperlock (Super size me guy.) and a bunch of other industry people were there. First time i've ever been VIP to a concert, I had 7th row seats for the show on top of the VIP box which I hung out in until Metallica came then I went down to the floor and had 7th row!

That was also probably the best metallica show i've ever seen I was stunned at how good the show was. 5th time I've seen them as well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:17:45 AM by tjanuranus »

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
Re: So I met Mike Portnoy today at the Big 4 Show...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:14:42 AM »
I was standing in the Room to pick up VIP tix and Portnoy walks in with the guys from that metal show. He comes up to me because i my 25th anniversary DT shirt on and said... "Yeah man! Representin'!" I laughed and then he went to the back of my shirt and tugged on it to show his friends. He said... "You see this era right here.. THAT's the era!"

Then i said i have been a DT fan for over 15 years and it was great to meet him. He said thanks and that was it. That was insane out of NOWHERE he came up to me.

Then we get up to the VIP box and Triple H was in there, Chris Jericho, Jim Bruer, Jim Florentine, Morgan sperlock (Super size me guy.) and a bunch of other industry people were there. First time i've ever been VIP to a concert and I have to said i had 7th row seats for the show on top of the VIP box which I hung out in until Metallica came then I went down to the floor and had 7th row!

That was also probably the best metallica show i've ever seen I was stunned at how good the show was. 5th time I've seen them as well.

I don't know, but I would've been scared poopless right before pooping myself.

And Triple H? MP hangs out with Samuel L Jackson's character from Unthinkable?  :o

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:15:13 AM »
ME. JELLY.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:15:45 AM »
Also I have the same shirt as you...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:16:54 AM »
I have that shirt too.  I'd be jelly too, but at least I'm not infected with the Metallica virus, so I'm good. :P
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:18:49 AM »
Dude they played ORION, Blackened, ride the lightning.. ARE You KIDDING ME? I was flipping out when they played Orion and then into Blackened.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 01:19:43 AM »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:21:10 AM »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

HAHAHAHA

Fail.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:22:07 AM »

That post shows you know nothing about metallica.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:23:02 AM »
:facepalm

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 01:24:04 AM »
Congrats, man! That sounds awesome.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 01:25:51 AM »
that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

A poignant post in so many other occasions, but certainly not this one  :lol

Really not sure what this thread has to do with DT, though...

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 01:26:40 AM »
Congrats, man! That sounds awesome.

Thanks it was great. I kept the vip passes and everything for memories.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 01:27:40 AM »
Metallica-bashing aside, that sounds amazing.  Glad to see MP wasn't weird or anything.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 01:28:46 AM »
Metallica-bashing aside, that sounds amazing.  Glad to see MP wasn't weird or anything.

In retrospect I would have loved to have asked him what he thought of the new DT album but I was kind of shell shocked and caught off guard.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 01:30:13 AM »
Don't mean to be too nitpicky or read into much, but did he say it like "DT's best era was the one I was in"?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 01:32:50 AM »
Don't mean to be too nitpicky or read into much, but did he say it like "DT's best era was the one I was in"?

I'm not bashing him because he was cool to me and everything but that's honestly the way he said it. That's why he was pointing it out to his friends.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 01:33:49 AM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 01:34:16 AM »
Why did you tell him you were the guy trolling him with negative Adrenaline Mob comments on his twitter?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 01:38:58 AM »
Why did you tell him you were the guy trolling him with negative Adrenaline Mob comments on his twitter?

Lol i'm telling you it was out of nowhere. Besides what's the point of that everyone is there to have a good time unlike twitter which is for bickering and fights..  ;)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:49 AM »
I am disappointed though. The least you could have done is said something like, "Well, wait, ADTOE is the best DT in years!" when he said that whole "best era" remark.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 01:42:51 AM »
I am disappointed though. The least you could have done is said something like, "Well, wait, ADTOE is the best DT in years!" when he said that whole "best era" remark.

Yeah, you get in dat ass Larry.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 01:52:18 AM »

Can't imagine what he would have said to that lol.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:44 AM »
WELL NOW WE'LL NEVER KNOW

:tdwn

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 01:54:48 AM »

Can't imagine what he would have said to that lol.

He would have been all like
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 02:07:35 AM »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 02:14:58 AM »
You should have just said something like "great drum work on Far From Heaven!"

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 02:20:51 AM »
You should have just said something like "great drum work on Far From Heaven!"

Yeah or "can you make that face again? The one when they told you welcome to the family?"

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:54 AM »
Well, I suppose that was fantastic for you, tjanuranus, and I can understand.
But the real thing is that MP came to you just to "use" your shirt and show a bit more about his ego again.

Imagine that you were wearing ADTOE shirt...what would he say? I think he had never came that way to you  :lol

:facepalm:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 02:29:43 AM »

Even if it's so, do you expect him to say/think:

F**k im glad i'm out, now DT are really going to kick ass, yeah!!  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 04:58:49 AM »
Really?

Really?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 05:06:34 AM »
Really?

Really?

Can't be, Orion has almost the same mellow vocal style as The Call of Ktulu.

And they share the same lyrics, only in Orion they are reversed!

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:47 AM »
Haha, what a bewildering encounter!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 05:49:42 AM »
It would be interesting to see MP's reaction if he saw someone wearing a shirt with the cover of ADTOE on it! :lol