Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 86595 times)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - signups!
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »
Ok, someone get king on photoshopping everyone's faces onto that one.  That's a lotta kielbasa. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2023, 04:34:51 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

That's dead on.

The main thing you need to do in a roulette is rip on Tim.

:lol

That's definitely NOT dead on!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2023, 04:35:53 PM »
Lies, there is no capacity.

And yeah I'm bound to mix up Litho, Luoto and/or Luke at some point.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2023, 04:38:12 PM »
Lies, there is no capacity.

And yeah I'm bound to mix up Litho, Luoto and/or Luke at some point.

I'll be the one sending good music.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2023, 04:40:39 PM »
Well, at least there can only be one king....oh wait...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2023, 04:44:53 PM »
I'll be hard-pressed to submit before Saturday.  Flying tomorrow, work/home shit to take care of on Friday after being out of town all week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2023, 04:45:20 PM »

There'll be a whole lotta Kings up in here. I don't think I need to elaborate further.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2023, 04:49:03 PM »
Seeeeennttt!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Glasser

« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2023, 04:53:50 PM »
This looks like something I would love to do but I literally feel like my brain broke reading the the way it works. I don't have Spotify but I'm sure I can work around that. I may need to have someone literally call me to explain it better.  :blush
Don't worry about the format if you're not familiar with Spotify, you can just tell me the artist and song(s) and I can find them on Spotify myself.

Short version of what you need to know to get started:
 - each submission should be as many songs as you like from a single band/artist, up to a total of under 20 minutes.
 - anything from an album I've rated on RYM (link in OP) is banned, anything else is not banned. For example if I've rated some albums by a particular band but not others, the albums I've not rated are available to send.
 - first round should be something on the heavier side of your musical interests, round 2 should be from the lighter side, then round 3 is completely open. That then repeats for rounds 4-6. Final round will be an EP round involving multiple artists, rules in the OP

So, you in?

Thanks Rich! I'm in if you'll have me and have patience to break my roulette cherry?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2023, 04:55:39 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

That's dead on.

The main thing you need to do in a roulette is rip on Tim.

:lol

That's definitely NOT dead on!

All I see is the boys having a good time

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2023, 04:59:26 PM »
I'll be hard-pressed to submit before Saturday.  Flying tomorrow, work/home shit to take care of on Friday after being out of town all week.
No problem at all Chad, I'll leave sign ups open until the weekend anyway, and I also know the first round especially can take a bit of time and thought.

Thanks Rich! I'm in if you'll have me and have patience to break my roulette cherry?
:eyebrows:

And with that, this is now the biggest roulette ever. :hat

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2023, 05:02:03 PM »

Let's do this!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2023, 05:10:19 PM »

Yeah. WTF man!  Tim's my bitch. You go through me!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2023, 05:39:51 PM »
Rich, you got a lot of damn listening to do.

Epic Hangman coming!

I would dread having to do 24 writeups.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2023, 05:42:11 PM »

Let's do this!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2023, 05:50:55 PM »

Let's do this!

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2023, 06:00:47 PM »

Epic Hangman coming!

Well, his in older ones seem more the size of yours, Tomi's, and Luke's, but if they were the size of my earlier ones or Crow's in older roulettes...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2023, 06:15:06 PM »
At the moment, that's potentially almost 8 hours of music.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2023, 06:59:19 PM »
Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else. Only he could successfully handle this much music per round and still provide decent write-ups each time.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2023, 08:54:50 PM »
The problem for me is that if you have that much music to get through and are trying to do a quick turnaround, you can't give each entry that much listening time.  It takes me at least half a dozen listens to begin sorting things out, usually much more than that, and that's with giving some the same score - I couldn't imagine a pure stacked ranking.  I don't know how some of you do it. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2023, 09:07:26 PM »
Stupid questions part 1!

Do we submit round 1 and wait for results before each round?   :blush

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2023, 09:20:30 PM »
Yeah, there are usually several different phases to each round.  Every roulette is a little different, but usually after all the songs are in we'll slowly guess the artists/songs picked via a game of hangman.  Then there might be impressions or comparisons posted, and eventually results will be up.  Once you submit you can kind of sit back and enjoy the show for the next week or two, and you'll start getting the hang of the flow of things.  If you want a sneak peak of what's up ahead you could skim the first few pages of the other ongoing roulettes (Crow's, Tomislav95's, and mine). 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2023, 09:21:39 PM »
Yeah, there are usually several different phases to each round.  Every roulette is a little different, but usually after all the songs are in we'll slowly guess the artists/songs picked via a game of hangman.  Then there might be impressions or comparisons posted, and eventually results will be up.  Once you submit you can kind of sit back and enjoy the show for the next week or two, and you'll start getting the hang of the flow of things.
Or you can do like Crow and I do and submit all rounds at once....usually.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2023, 09:32:00 PM »
Stupid questions part 1!

Send your songs, wait for your score, then pick your next songs depending on how much Ariich hated the last batch. :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Glasser

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2023, 09:40:01 PM »
Stupid questions part 1!

Send your songs, wait for your score, then pick your next songs depending on how much Ariich hated the last batch. :biggrin:

:lol Round 1 Sent!.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2023, 10:22:14 PM »
The problem for me is that if you have that much music to get through and are trying to do a quick turnaround, you can't give each entry that much listening time.  It takes me at least half a dozen listens to begin sorting things out, usually much more than that, and that's with giving some the same score - I couldn't imagine a pure stacked ranking.  I don't know how some of you do it.

I thought about this exact point after my post but it's Rich's roulette.  He would know what he's capable of.  It's just a bit of fun and means I'll not spend too much time on an entry.  Send something cool and hope it sticks!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2023, 11:10:50 PM »
or Crow's in older roulettes...
the funny thing is in retrospect those writeups were way too long. ain't nobody gonna read all that and they're very disorganized and unfocused  :lol
nowadays i'm bullet-pointing as i go and throwing together tight, concise, to-the-point writeups out of the notes, which is much less work for much better results  :hat
writing for youtube for four years'll do that to ya

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2023, 01:57:45 AM »

Epic Hangman coming!

Well, his in older ones seem more the size of yours, Tomi's, and Luke's, but if they were the size of my earlier ones or Crow's in older roulettes...
Nah I've never written that much, that's just not how my brain works. I've always been more - but by no means entirely - on the "big picture" side of things (intuition, or "N", in Myers Briggs terms) than the detail side. I get the impression you lean somewhat the other way. For single-artist submissions, my write-ups are a paragraph, which may be long or short depending on how much I have to say. EPs and suchlike I'll always write a bit more.

:lol Sig'd.

But seriously, I just get a lot of time to listen to music during the week and in the evenings, almost all of which is while doing other things. Unless I'm in a meeting then I can almost always listen to music when working, when clearing/washing up in the evening, while commuting on those occasions I work in the office, etc. Getting 6-8 hours music in a round is no problem - on a quiet day I can listen through all of it in the one day. And for a lot of music I listen to, I have a good sense of my opinion of it after 2-3 listens (although I find it harder with single songs, which is exactly why I favour these up-to-20-minute roulettes), which is why my minimum commitment is 3 listens but for some of them will listen 4 or 5 times (or even more on occasion) if I'm unsure.

In terms of decent write-ups, yeah like I said I don't like to write loads of detail on lots of specifics, that's not really how I approach music anyway. I try my best to ensure I know what I feel about something, and then articulate that in a paragraph. It helps that writing concise assessments of things is literally a major part of my job. :lol

Stupid questions part 1!

I mean, you'd have to work pretty hard to send me something I hate. The lowest scores I've ever given have been 6.0/10, which just about scrapes through as "decent", and that was in my album roulettes where scores were on average slightly lower because people weren't picking out the best songs. One of those I probably could have gone slightly lower, but I was rounding to the nearest half back then, and it was a post-roulette submission anyway.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 03:00:51 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2023, 05:15:48 AM »

But seriously, I just get a lot of time to listen to music during the week and in the evenings, almost all of which is while doing other things. Unless I'm in a meeting then I can almost always listen to music when working, when clearing/washing up in the evening, while commuting on those occasions I work in the office, etc. Getting 6-8 hours music in a round is no problem - on a quiet day I can listen through all of it in the one day. And for a lot of music I listen to, I have a good sense of my opinion of it after 2-3 listens (although I find it harder with single songs, which is exactly why I favour these up-to-20-minute roulettes), which is why my minimum commitment is 3 listens but for some of them will listen 4 or 5 times (or even more on occasion) if I'm unsure.

This is literally me. On paper I should be able to run a tight roulette, to a good time frame. However, I suck at write ups!

Stupid questions part 1!

Black Flag? :neverusethis:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2023, 06:52:08 AM »

This is literally me. On paper I should be able to run a tight roulette, to a good time frame. However, I suck at write ups!

Stupid questions part 1!

Haha! I'm going to dig deep and be less predictable. The catalogue of bands I know is absolutely massive.  :)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2023, 08:42:31 AM »
Stupid questions part 1!

Haha! I'm going to dig deep and be less predictable. The catalogue of bands I know is absolutely massive.  :)

Yea, I'm just shitting you. I'd like to think I might be able to guess what you sent, once we get to hangman, but I'm sure I'll be proven wrong  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2023, 09:30:46 AM »
Glasser sent Menstruating Nuns.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2023, 09:53:00 AM »

Yea, those album covers are NSFW, especially the one that had your face on it  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2023, 12:29:26 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2023, 01:09:58 PM »

Next round.  :lol