Poll

Which semi-finalist should win? (see song links on Pg 13)

Lonestar: Odd Dimension and Mechanical Poet
9 (60%)
Kingshmegland: Demians and This Day & Age
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: February 03, 2013, 03:04:29 PM

Author Topic: Roulette of Champions - FINAL RESULTS, pg 15!  (Read 61034 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Roulette of Champions - round 7 results, pg 11!
« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2013, 01:50:43 PM »
It'd be cool if the identity of the MJ was progressively revealed. Like, every day, give us a name of someone it's not.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
That's a good idea!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »
Oh.  My. God.  I have a new theory on the mystery judge. 

:facepalm: :facepalm:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
Not quite. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »
I can tell this person is around my age but I can't figure it out....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »
I can tell this person is around my age but I can't figure it out....

What makes you think so?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
Comments on albums with their ratings about owning that album or not listening to a certain album for a while.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ħ

« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
Ariich, you should PM each person a different letter of the MJ's name. The first to deduce the name automatically gets 5 points.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
It'd be cool if the identity of the MJ was progressively revealed. Like, every day, give us a name of someone it's not.
Cool idea.

Day 1: It's not jingle.boy.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
One down, 5187 members to go......

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2013, 04:05:18 PM »
Ultimetalhead: Floater – 4 Down (A Toast)
Rich 2.5 + Other 2.5 = 5.0

Still not totally sold on Floater. I felt the same here as I did the last time you sent me one of their songs – I like it, it’s nice music, but it just seems to lack something. Don’t know if it’s the production, the vocals, what it is, because none of those things are bad, but it just doesn’t grab me as much as I feel like it should. Nice song, but not enough to change my mind about them.

Not as good as some of the other choices this round, but not bad. Pink Floydian in flow and style. Vocals were pretty awful though. I'd hate to think what this guy sounded like live. Still, not bad.

Okay, as a Floater NUT... first off, IMO, this was not the best song Justin could've sent from the album that the song is from.  There are also MUCH better Floater "mini-epics" from their other albums.  I also have issues with "I'd hate to think what this guy sounded like live."  Um... Rob (their singer/bass guitarist) has blown the doors out of places with a cold AND a sore throat.  4 Down is MUCH better and longer live, but I still think it's a great song.  Just probably not the best song for that round, obviously.

Carry on! :)
I thought about sending Safety or Zero Hour (maybe even Tracks Across the Snow), but 4 Down finishes off that album so nicely that it seemed like the obvious choice. I almost cried at the complaints about the vocals though. Rob is fucking awesome. Also, I seemed to remember Rich quite liking Luddite when I sent it for his roulette, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Well, I'm bummed that I missed out, but this was still great fun, and I'm very much looking forward to who the mystery judge is.  :)

Edit: Wow. I forgot. I ended up sending Matadors in a moment of pure misguided idiocy. Should have sent Luddite, but IIRC it was a "recent music" round, and that was the best option evidently.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:11:41 PM by Ultimetalhead »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »
DOWN GOES LONESTAR!!! :biggrin: :lol

Sent!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
Cool idea.

Day 1: It's not jingle.boy.
...they have to be someone that was guessed in the previous round's PMs. Not just whoever. :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »
 :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:01 AM »
I thought about sending Safety or Zero Hour (maybe even Tracks Across the Snow), but 4 Down finishes off that album so nicely that it seemed like the obvious choice.

Yeah, I can understand that - 4 Down does close Alter out pretty perfectly.

I almost cried at the complaints about the vocals though. Rob is fucking awesome.

Yeah, me too - Rob is just amazingly outstanding at what he does.  So are Pete and Dave, though.

Edit: Wow. I forgot. I ended up sending Matadors in a moment of pure misguided idiocy. Should have sent Luddite, but IIRC it was a "recent music" round, and that was the best option evidently.

Yeah, Luddite would've been a little bit of a better choice. :lol   Although... Enough is really kick ass too... :justjen

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2013, 06:37:44 AM »
Yeah, Matadors seemed a bit more "immediate" to me at the time. I'm not all that fond of Enough. I feel like it kind of drags.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
The studio version DEFINITELY drags.  It's much better live, but I was happy to at least have some version of it on wax.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Roulette of Champions - semi-final results (sort of), pg 12!
« Reply #402 on: January 31, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »
RESULTS – SEMI-FINALS

SEMI-FINAL 1 – HERETIC VS NEKOV

Heretic: The Butterfly Effect – Worlds on Fire
Rich 3.5 + Other 3.0 = 6.5

Seriously, how do you keep finding stuff that I’ve never even heard of before but really, really dig?! Quite a Muse vibe at the start especially, but the song grows and takes on its own identity. This has a bit of everything in it, from a mellow start, through post-rock, into some rocking riffing later on. Very nice stuff, and another of those songs that made me go straight to Spotify to see if the album is on there!

What a really, really interesting song. Damn. Horns, crunchy guitars. Just cool. Not many slowish songs moved me in this roulette, but I was moved.

Nekov: Iluvatar – In the Eye
Rich 2.5 + Other 2.5 = 5.0

Hmm, this isn’t a bad song, there are some nice ideas, but it really does sound so dated to me. Not just in terms of production, but in style and instrumentation as well. It goes on very long as well, but didn’t make me feel like there was enough variety of sound. Pleasant music undoubtedly, but I found myself losing interest about half way through.

This one was tough to score less than Heretic's. It has so much of what I like, especially being keyboard-driven. A strong guitar here and there, but there was just something about it. It was too much keyboards, it was drowning in that same riff over and over. Was just too much. And the tone he used was a bit of a Rush rip off that gave it this 80\90's vibe. Like Red Sector A or Show Don't Tell. (Apologies, I named the wrong rush tunes I'm trying to use as examples) I feel this song was THIS close to being great they just over did it.

WINNER: HERETIC

SEMI-FINAL 2 – KINGSHMEGLAND VS LONESTAR

kingshmegland: Demians – Earth
Rich 3.0 + Other 2.5 = 5.5

I found two things interesting in this submission: 1) you chose to send the bonus track from the album, and 2) in your description you neglected to mention that Nic is a former DTFer! :P Otherwise, great submission; even though it’s a bonus track it’s a great song in its own right. Catchy and engaging, and really nicely done. I’m very familiar with it already though I’m afraid, so only 3 points for you.

These guys used to be board members, or one of them was, right? Good vocals, good harmonies and probably a better-crafted song than lonestar’s selection, I just liked his better. I guess I was supposed to be impressed by some of the deliberate tempo changes and slow-los. Instead I found them a little off-putting.

lonestar: Odd Dimension – Farewell to the Stars
Rich 2.5 + Other 3.0 = 5.5

This song really disappointed me, because the first 20 seconds really, really grabbed me, and I was all ready to be blown away by some awesome prog metal. But when the vocals came in, the song went a bit downhill. Not that it was bad at all, in fact there are some really good bits, but the song doesn’t hold together all that well, and I find the singer really quite annoying. Far too much vibrato. :lol

The song started pretty weak, but finished incredibly strong. I backed certain parts up and did them over and over. It's nothing really new, it’s just a great track. Right at 3:40 or so they really take off. The singer is really familiar sounding.

WINNER: IT’S A TIE! :O

Which can only mean one thing…

A REMATCH!
Send another song each please.

Heretic is through to the final, but he will not know who his opponent is until the rematch is done.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
Both threw punches and no one went down!! Will send a song tonight!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #404 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
OK, time for a little refocusing......

And sent!!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:49:28 AM by lonestar »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Dammit!

Congrats Heretic, you sure are a good contender and are on the list of participants of my upcoming roulette.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
This is tough!!  Rich loves the one song I sent by this band but the mystery Judge seems to like it hard (Insert joke here).  So let's see if lonestar's song can beat this!!

SENT!!!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #407 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
Woah what? That's crazy. You're awesome Nekov, I look forward to being in your roulette!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #408 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:26 AM »
I threw caution to the wind, and sent a song a bit outside the box, but one I love dearly. I just hope the feeling is shared.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #409 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:10 AM »
I threw caution to the wind, and sent a song juuuuust a bit outside the box, but one I love dearly. I just hope the feeling is shared.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: February 01, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »
Just a bit outside! :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #411 on: February 01, 2013, 08:21:27 AM »
 :biggrin:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #412 on: February 01, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »
"Heywood leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair. When this guy sneezes, he looks like a party favor."
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #413 on: February 01, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »
"This guys so mean he threw at his own kid in a father-son game."

Such a great movie.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #414 on: February 01, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »
I threw caution to the wind, and sent a song juuuuust a bit outside the box, but one I love dearly. I just hope the feeling is shared.

Ueck!!! :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #417 on: February 02, 2013, 01:32:23 AM »
 :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #418 on: February 02, 2013, 01:52:56 AM »
 :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni