Poll

Which semi-finalist should win? (see song links on Pg 13)

Lonestar: Odd Dimension and Mechanical Poet
9 (60%)
Kingshmegland: Demians and This Day & Age
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: February 03, 2013, 03:04:29 PM

Author Topic: Roulette of Champions - FINAL RESULTS, pg 15!  (Read 59001 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Roulette of Champions - round 5 results (minus Gorille), pg 9!
« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
sent, sorry about that, busy busy.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #316 on: January 21, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
You know a roulette is moving slow when you can't remember what you submitted without checking your outbox.

Let's go folks!  The Earth isn't turning any slower.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:45:33 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #317 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:33 AM »
It shouldn't really take time to send something. People might be more busy than I am obviously, but it's a 5 minute job, if even that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #318 on: January 21, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
I disagree to be honest, it's best to take a bit of time (not a huge amount, but a bit) to think about what to send that you think (1) fits the theme and (2) the person will like.

But yeah, songs are all in now, so results will be tomorrow. There will then be ONE MORE ROUND to try and position yourselves in the top 4!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: January 21, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
Well, the thinking doesn't have to take that much time to be honest. Sometimes I check the theme for the next round, and then I try to think about it for a while, but still doing other things. So it's not like I freeze my whole day just to think about it, but just casually thinking about ideas for what to send here and there.

Generally it doesn't take long for me though. I have quite a library so I normally find things to send easily.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: January 21, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »
Well, the thinking doesn't have to take that much time to be honest. Sometimes I check the theme for the next round, and then I try to think about it for a while, but still doing other things. So it's not like I freeze my whole day just to think about it, but just casually thinking about ideas for what to send here and there.

Generally it doesn't take long for me though. I have quite a library so I normally find things to send easily.

I'm with ya.  I could go nuts trying to find the "perfect" song amidst my 12,000 song library.  I narrow it down to about 5 once I've found a few, then just pick one.  Not like the strategy is working, but at least I get my pick in, and don't stress or waste time - mine or anyone elses.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #321 on: January 22, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »
I disagree to be honest, it's best to take a bit of time (not a huge amount, but a bit) to think about what to send that you think (1) fits the theme and (2) the person will like.

But yeah, songs are all in now, so results will be tomorrow. There will then be ONE MORE ROUND to try and position yourselves in the top 4!

I was late because I wasn't quite sure you wanted youtube or an MP3 since the last round it was asked to send youtube.  I am excited to see the results!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: January 22, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »

I was late because I wasn't quite sure you wanted youtube or an MP3 since the last round it was asked to send youtube.  I am excited to see the results!!

When did that happen? I've been sending Mp3s since this thing started
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Well, the round before they asked for youtube so I wanted to make sure which one to send and Rich wasn't on for a day.  I just hope they had time to listen to the 16 minute song I sent! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #324 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:35 PM »
Man those days in Britain are long.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
He's got one more hour before his day is officially over.  Tick tock; tick tock; tick tock.

Hey, here's a thought... the mystery guest judge should post the final ranking and eventual winner.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Roulette of Champions - round 6 results, pg 10!
« Reply #326 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
RESULTS – ROUND 6 (2012)

Well, I thought this was a very strong round indeed! The lowest score I gave was a 2.5. I’m not sure my co-judge agrees with me though, I think he was a little less impressed on the whole…

Heretic: Twelve Foot Ninja – Silent Machine
Rich 3.5 + Other 2.5 = 6.0

I really, really like this! What a strange band – some djent stuff, some more middle of the road hard rock, and random other influences. I liked it so much that I checked out their debut full length album on Spotify, and I dig it a lot, very creative band! A bit of roughness in the production, but it’s only their first full length, so I’ll cut them some slack.

Interesting song, reminded me of the Cure. I don't like the Cure. But then it reminded me of Riverside a bit. Wasn't really keen on his vocal style, but overall it wasn't a bad song.

kingshmegland: Echolyn – Island
Rich 2.5 + Other 2.5 = 5.0

Pretty decent prog rock. There are some very cool ideas dotted throughout, but I’m afraid it doesn’t hold my attention as much as it does yours. It’s a long song, but it doesn’t feel particularly coherent. With these sorts of songs, they so often work better in the context of an album, so I can’t judge how much I’d like it in that sense, but as a standalone song it jumps around a bit too much without really building any momentum. Nice music in itself though.

16 minutes… it better be the greatest prog song I've ever heard. I don't know if the guy who arranged this song was doing his damnedest to be all over the place, but he's succeeded. After the smug beginning to this write-up, several minutes of pretty good shit went by, so I revised the score… but I had the opposite reaction to the commenters on Youtube to the ending. I found the final 5-7 minutes very "light beer" and revised my score again! This song went from a 2 to a 3 to a 2.5.

Marvellous G: Tallest Man on Earth – On Every Page
Rich 3.0 + Other 2.5 = 5.5

This is a really lovely song. I’ve heard a bit of Tallest Man before, and I’ve always found it pleasant but nothing that really grabbed me. This was gorgeous though, very emotive. It’s a simple song, but it gets by on the melodies, and on his vocal performance.

Pretty song. Though not much to it. Had a bit of a 60's folk vibe. Not something I'd pop on all the time but if I was drunk and depressed and needed some musical accompaniment, sure.

Jingle.boy: InVertigo – Darkness
Rich 3.0 + Other 2.0 = 5.0

This is probably the strongest song you’ve sent, I liked it a lot! It’s a bit long for what’s in it, maybe, but the music is nicely done, pretty engaging and performed well. The song develops quite nicely, and the bit where the synth sound comes in around 3:45 and the section that follows (chorus?) is one of those “nice surprises” that feel natural but aren’t predictable. Good stuff.

Another Riverside clone. I don't know, it wasn't bad, but the vocals didn't do much for me. To be honest, a pretty dull song. Sorry, sincerely especially since you probably think the opposite.

Ultimetalhead: Headspace – Stalled Armageddon

This is a good song; I’ve heard the whole album once before, and I have to say I found it fairly disappointing overall. This opening track is really solid though, moody intro, nice melodies, and so on. And I love Damian’s voice, so that’s always a plus.

Well, I do like Threshold (old and new), but sadly they just kinda wasted him here, like Satch on that disaster known as Chickenturd. I know it's prog, I get that it's supposed to be "proggy", but it's like the whole genre ran out of ideas a long, long time ago.

Zantera: Gazpacho – Hell Freezes Over I
Rich 2.5 + Other 2.0 = 4.5

This was nice, but I found it a bit nothingy. There’s a nice vibe, and it builds a little up to the chorus, but it never really climaxes. I feel like this has great potential that it doesn’t realise. Not a bad song by any means, though. 

I feel like we're really regressing, not progressing, in this roulette. I guess there is to be balance between sending songs you think I'd like, and sending songs you like that you hope I like too. This wasn’t really for me.

Nekov: Forward Shapes – Proclivity
Rich 3.0 + Other 3.0 = 6.0

This is a really nice song. It starts as pretty simple symphonic rock, well executed with a great singer. But as the song progresses there are neat little touches and quirks, which make it a bit more exciting. Like I said, I love the singer’s voice, and the guitar and piano solos are nicely done as well. Another song that made me check Spotify to see if their album is on there. It is, but I haven’t had a chance to listen yet, so will report back later!

Hmm, this might be the first (fully) female-fronted submission this roulette? Sometimes simpler is better. Simple vocals, simple melodies, great piano. Good song.

lonestar: Mystery – Pride
Rich 2.5 + Other 2.5 = 5.0

Good lord, this sounds exactly like Rush at the start, right down to the vocals. :lol The song takes on its own identity later on, and does so quite nicely. There are some really good ideas in the middle of the song, but it does start to drag eventually. Good song, but didn’t hold my attention enough. 

Well, of all the fancy-pants prog, this one moved me the most, despite it sounding just like Rush. It wasn’t great, but it was good. Nice guitar solo.

The scores after round 6:
Nekov - 33.5
kingshmegland - 33
Heretic - 33
lonestar - 31.5
Ultimetalhead - 31
Zantera - 30.5
Marvellous G - 30
jingle.boy - 28.5

Round 7 – Mini-Epic
A complaint both of us have had with some of the songs throughout this roulette is that some songs are a bit too long and don’t keep our attention. To rectify this, we are stealing a round from one of my own previous roulettes, the mini-epic. Send us something that you think is “epic” (be that in tone, feel, style, whatever you like) but is no more than 7 minutes long.

SPECIAL BONUS – GUESS THE MYSTERY JUDGE
As this is the final round before the playoffs, we’re giving a special bonus. Tell us who you think the mystery judge is. If you are correct, you will get an extra point. Of course, we’ll just include it in your score, so you won’t know that you got it until the roulette has come to an end, but it’ll increase your chances of reaching the playoffs!

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #327 on: January 23, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Man those days in Britain are long.
The delay was genuinely caused by technical difficulties. :lol Got there in the end though!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #328 on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »
It seems whatever I send it gets shitty score so I'll have to think hard about what to send next. Maybe a different approach like sending the worst song I know and it will get high score.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
You're only 1 point off a qualification place, so I'd hardly say you're getting shitty scores. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »
Maybe not, haha. Just a question though, is max score 5 points from each ref? So 10 in total if both give it a 5?
I don't remember seeing anything higher than 6 or maybe 7 in total, so either we all have horrible music tastes or you guys are pretty picky. :P

I'll think a bit about what to send for the last round though. I feel like there is a certain musical style that would benefit me scorewise but it's not really music I listen to that much anymore. I'll see what I can pick out of the hat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #331 on: January 23, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
The Rules:
 - The judges are me and a mystery second judge, who will remain secret for the duration of the competition. We will each score every song between 0.5 and 4, meaning a score between 1 and 8 per round.
Max score is 8. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:53 PM »
Ah, that explains it I guess.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #333 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:11 PM »
And the moral of this story is: READ THE QUESTION.

:biggrin:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: January 23, 2013, 04:33:34 PM »
Mini epic under 7.  I must go to work!!

When is this due sirs?!!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #335 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »
Good question. It's Wednesday now, so deadline is end of Saturday 26th.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »
Hell yeah! Now, this is the part where I completely fuck up and don't get through to the final round  :lol

Will think it through and send later.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
Jingle.boy: InVertigo – Darkness

Another Riverside clone. I don't know, it wasn't bad, but the vocals didn't do much for me. To be honest, a pretty dull song. Sorry, sincerely especially since you probably think the opposite.

Actually, I'm kinda luke-warm on the song.  As I said, I had something better lined up, but figured since I loved it, you two would hate it.  I took the Costanza approach, and did the opposite of my instincts.  I can't finish any worse than last, and I actually didn't score the worst this round!  So something worked.

Methinks I'm throttling down this final round.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2013, 02:15:51 AM »
Sent yo!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: January 24, 2013, 05:21:12 AM »
Moi aussi.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: January 24, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »
Sent

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #341 on: January 24, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
Don't forget to send your guesses for who the mystery judge is! Unless you don't want a chance of a bonus point of course. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
Crap, I totally forgot.

I'll PM you

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #343 on: January 24, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »
Damn!  I could totally throw a name out if I were a participant (that, of course, assumes I'd made it this far). :facepalm:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »
Sent.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #345 on: January 24, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »
Damn!  I could totally throw a name out if I were a participant (that, of course, assumes I'd made it this far). :facepalm:
I was thinking about this, and for a bit of fun, I think anyone else who thinks they have a decent guess should PM me with it, whether they're in the roulette or not!

You'll still need to wait until the end of the roulette to find out if you were right, but you'll get kudos from me if you are!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #346 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:43 AM »
Incoming! :xbones

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: January 25, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »
Song sent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #348 on: January 25, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
You'll need to re-send Jimmy, as your song was on the list of forbidden bands!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: January 25, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
Forbidden fruit.

I will send mind a little later when I get home!