Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 894550 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The Use Your Illusion gig here is so infamous in these parts that it had its own website.   This was a breeze compared to that one :lol

I can't seem to find said website (perhaps expired)  but this page and the comments below will give some idea of the day we had.  And for Tim 42 degrees =  108 F  ;)

https://www.rawrootsrock.com.au/?os_articles=great-gigs-guns-n-roses-calder-park-1993

Another thing I remember was dopey Aussie comedian "Norman Gunston" interviewing the band at the press conference :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mh8HThNHdY

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   And for Tim 42 degrees =  108 F  ;)
:lol

Thanks for clearing that up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I'm on the fence about going to see Metallica. The good thing is it's on a Friday so babysitter no issue and my wife won't have to go to work the next day. It's at Gillette Stadium which is easy to get to from here, about 20 minutes away. Though parking is a bitch and walking at least a mile to the stadium sucks.

But it's at the stadium. This would've been much better had this been an arena show. Not interested in being so far away from the band. Plus, tickets are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I can't ask my wife to shell out over $300 for tickets for this. Add in parking and beers, this will easily be over $400.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I remember when I saw the Axl lead Gunners a few years ago, he must have been over an hour late as well. But he put on a near three hour show

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So I'm on the fence about going to see Metallica. The good thing is it's on a Friday so babysitter no issue and my wife won't have to go to work the next day. It's at Gillette Stadium which is easy to get to from here, about 20 minutes away. Though parking is a bitch and walking at least a mile to the stadium sucks.

But it's at the stadium. This would've been much better had this been an arena show. Not interested in being so far away from the band. Plus, tickets are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I can't ask my wife to shell out over $300 for tickets for this. Add in parking and beers, this will easily be over $400.

I didn't drink last night (although I partook in some awesome jam donuts) - my sister had a plastic cup of bourbon and Coke - $15  ::)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would probably pass on Metallica as well

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, definitely would've swapped out Seven with Seven Sisters. Damn I love that album and became one of my favorites of the year. Great mix of Def Leppard's and Iron Maiden's debuts.

Nice call on including Theocracy. My AOTY.

Missed on Rising Steel. I loved that album.

The track after Running Wild is awesome!

The singer in the track after Punky Meadows sounds like Ozzy.

Metal Church..nice!

And confirmed..Megadeth in the Top 40!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:10:02 AM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
@ BEN!
If your Dad ever tries to put Labrock on another podcast, please call your Mom, the police, or somebody, but whatever you do, don't let him do it!
Tell him even Winger would be better!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
So if any of you remember Fifth Angel, they are doing their first live U.S. show together in 30 years on April 22, as a warm-up gig before playing the Keep it True Festival in Germany the following weekend.

Real short story -- Fifth Angel is from the Seattle area and was my first favorite band before Queensryche. Fifth Angel's self-titled debut is one of my favorite records of all-time, and the follow up, Time Will Tell, is pretty damn good too (albeit it a little too slick). They broke up back in 1989, and reunited in 2010. I did some interviews with those guys over the years, and got to be friends with them all. Really good dudes. After headlining Keep it True in 2010, they went their separate ways a year later.

They reunited this year with the Time Will Tell lineup, and the same singer they used for that show in 2010 -- Peter Orullian -- the man writing The Astonishing novel. Peter learned the songs in three days before 2010 and did a good job. The current lineup of the band is:

Ken Mary (drums), Ed Archer (rhythm and lead guitars), John Macko (bass), Kendall Bechtel (lead and rhythm guitars, background vocals) and the aforementioned Peter Orullian (lead vocals).

So if you're in the Seattle area, and love old school U.S. power metal, mark April 22 on the calendar. They are headlining at El Corazon.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
@ BEN!
If your Dad ever tries to put Labrock on another podcast, please call your Mom, the police, or somebody, but whatever you do, don't let him do it!
Tell him even Winger would be better!

I told you "wait for letter L" ............

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brian, any talk of studio activity from Fifth Angel?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Brian, any talk of studio activity from Fifth Angel?

Yep, there's a ton of material. Nothing is finished, but they've got something like 25-30 ideas in various stages dating back to 2010. I've heard a good bunch of Ed's material, and some of the ideas John has. I am sure Kendall has a bunch of ideas too. Ed's always been the primary music writer though, if I recall correctly. It'll be interesting if they get around to finishing up a record. I think with Ken Mary's involvement and contacts, that may be a reality now. But we'll see, I guess.

I'd love to describe the demos more accurately, but that's not for me to do/say. Again, I haven't heard anything recently -- they could be totally different now, particularly with Peter now entrenched as singer (the demos I heard were instrumental, and others featured singers that were working with the band previously).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Copy. Would be cool if something did get released, but after almost 30 years of nothing, you can't really get your hopes up lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Copy. Would be cool if something did get released, but after almost 30 years of nothing, you can't really get your hopes up lol

Exactly. I mean, any sort of release isn't going to set the world on fire. But with 4/5 of the Time Will Tell lineup in place, and the connections Ken has, the likelihood of new music from Fifth Angel (as long as Peter is committed to it) is higher than it has ever been in the previous decade or so. Fingers crossed. But there's no timeline. My complete guess is (I haven't asked them) it'll be 2019 or so. Maybe, if we're LUCKY, end of 2018. Peter has The Astonishing and other books to write, the guys all have day jobs, etc.

The nice thing is, as long as Ken Mary has his studio (I think he still does, not sure), drums should not a problem to record, and with pro tools, the rest can be done in-house basically, except for hiring someone good to do the mix, and the mastering. Since Ken is still in the music business, if Fifth Angel has a record fully done and paid for, it's a hell of a lot easier to negotiate a distribution deal with a label that doesn't have to pay for studio time.

So I think we'll eventually get something.  :D

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
As long as the guys in Fifth Angel aren't asking Crimson Glory advice on releasing albums, I think they should be ok

Offline Lowdz

I've got the 1stFifth Angel on vinyl from back on release. The 2nd on cd.
Great band.
A new album could be great.

Offline Lowdz

The two cities of Cologne and Düsseldorf have a rivalry that dates back some hundred years. Bands from Cologne always greet their audience in Düsseldorf with "Hallo Köln" (Köln=Cologne) and vice versa. Not really funny but on the whole just no big thing.

And that Axl is an ass is nothing new either. But good for you Brent that you enjoyed it. I have very fond memories of my GnR concert on the Use Your Illusions tour, but I'm not sure if I want to see them again for fear of tainting those memories.

If you call a venue in Scotland England, you're not getting out alive.

Offline Lowdz

Not got as far as the Ps yet (or is it the Ms? 😀), but the Punky Meadows should be in the top 40. Top 10 for me last year.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I'm about halfway through.

Omnium Gatherum  :metal   Although that track sounded like a bad mp3.

Is it just me or does it seem like every song on that Michael Sweet album begins with some sort of drum fill or roll or something?

I like that dark sinister sound of the Metal Church track.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That Michael Sweet track was excellent.

Oh, and Hath, that sig is TOTALLY taken out of context! :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I don't always change my sig, but when I do it's because TAC LOVES HIM SOME WINGER!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't always change my sig, but when I do it's because TAC LOVES HIM SOME WINGER!

I always knew TAC has a thing for bass players with chest hair.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ahem, back to the podcast..

The Divine W_____(?) track was awesome.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not got as far as the Ps yet (or is it the Ms? 😀), but the Punky Meadows should be in the top 40. Top 10 for me last year.

I just went with first letter , whether band name or solo artist

I'm about halfway through.

Omnium Gatherum  :metal   Although that track sounded like a bad mp3.

I did wonder about that ........I have the album in 320 and like most recent releases it's rather muddy , but that track seems worse.  Wasn't sure if it was the file or not.

Ahem, back to the podcast..

The Divine W_____(?) track was awesome.

Divine Winger

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You suck!  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not as much as you blow  :biggrin:

The band was called Divine Weep.    That's brought to mind a cool name for an AOR band.  Divine Wimp  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Gotta download this podcast quick.  Will get around to it Brent, work busting my balls lately and worked 14 days straight so far and a few more to go.  Sounds like some great shit all round.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   Sounds like some great shit all round.

Except for Labrock! I mean Kingshmegland would love it!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:40:00 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea who Labrock are.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There you go Kade

That's what my Dad gave me every time I said I would get a "round tuit"   >:(

I have no idea who Labrock are.

I put in in there mostly for Bolsters who likes his synths....and to piss off Tim  ;D  Think very cheesy 80's soundtrack AOR - done very well but not rocking at all really.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
haha nice Brent.

The Labrock sounds quite interesting.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
haha nice Brent.

The Labrock sounds quite interesting.

it's interesting to me in that it doesn't sound like a modern band trying and failing to recreate that era - it literally sounds like it's from that era.  Having grown up during that time I find it pretty cool to be transported back in time like that even if the music isn't my normal style.  After you listen to it you might want to go and put on Top Gun or something :lol

They might be named after Kelly LeBrock :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au