Poll

Which semi-finalist should win? (see song links on Pg 13)

Lonestar: Odd Dimension and Mechanical Poet
9 (60%)
Kingshmegland: Demians and This Day & Age
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: February 03, 2013, 03:04:29 PM

Author Topic: Roulette of Champions - FINAL RESULTS, pg 15!  (Read 59039 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Roulette of Champions - round 6 results, pg 10!
« Reply #350 on: January 25, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
Sent!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #351 on: January 25, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
We've now got 6 songs in out of 8, and 5 mystery judge guesses (from participants anyway, got a few in from others as well!).

Just waiting on songs from Heretic and Marvellous G, and guesses from those two and king.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: January 25, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
Forgot to send my guess and I just PM'd you!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: January 26, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »
Just bumping to say I love the song I picked and weather the judges like it or not you all better check that album out or....or...or....

I'll pout.

:pout:  (Wish it would work)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: January 28, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Bumping cause this got pushed to the second page again. I think we need Obscure to participate here
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #355 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »
Just bumping to say I love the song I picked and weather the judges like it or not you all better check that album out or....or...or....

I'll pout.

:pout:  (Wish it would work)

Is this what you're looking for?

:wahhh:

Obscure participation of late (everywhere) has been lacking.  Roulette owners these days seem to have better things to do!!  Life!  Sheesh, who needs one?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #356 on: January 28, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »
It might be harder with roulettes, but I'm always blown away by how hard it is for some people to keep their topX-lists updated. Take the "topX albums" for example, there is a waiting-list and you know pretty much when you will be up. It's really not that hard to start working on write-ups earlier than you post them, and sure the list might change in a few weeks or months, but not all of it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: January 28, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »
It might be harder with roulettes, but I'm always blown away by how hard it is for some people to keep their topX-lists updated. Take the "topX albums" for example, there is a waiting-list and you know pretty much when you will be up. It's really not that hard to start working on write-ups earlier than you post them, and sure the list might change in a few weeks or months, but not all of it.

Word!  I started doing mine back in November, so that when I was up, it was simply a matter of copy/pasting with enough of a stagger to let people digest and discuss.

Off topic, but oh well.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: January 28, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »
Yep. I did the same thing too and I'm also doing that for the top 50 DT songs.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #359 on: January 28, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
Sorry about the delay, we both have writeups for the 7 songs we've received, but Heretic has been insanely busy with school and hasn't had a chance to send. I'm hoping he'll send something today, in which case results very soon!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: January 28, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
Good question. It's Wednesday now, so deadline is end of Saturday 26th.

If anyone can't meet deadline's, that should be their issue, not the issue for the 7 people that did.  No offense, but in business, if one person is 15 minutes late to a meeting, the meeting still starts on time.  Everyone that is on time shouldn't be penalized for one person that isn't.  Not trying to be insensitive to Heretic, it's just that his issues in being late shouldn't be given more importance than the 7 of us that were on time.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #361 on: January 28, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »
I understand your point, but ultimately this isn't business, it's a bit of fun on an internet forum, and if important stuff is going on in real life then I'd expect people to focus on that. I PMed him yesterday and he replied today to say he'll get something to me, so I'm going to give him a chance.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
I understand your point, but ultimately this isn't business, it's a bit of fun on an internet forum, and if important stuff is going on in real life then I'd expect people to focus on that. I PMed him yesterday and he replied today to say he'll get something to me, so I'm going to give him a chance.

Fair enough.  Still, no point in stating there's a deadline, when there isn't.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: January 28, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »

Fair enough.  Still, no point in stating there's a deadline, when there isn't.

In this case I think it's OK. You put a deadline so people get on with stuff but if they had something important to do then you can be lenient. I'm pretty sure if Heretic had told Rich that he was drunk for the last 72hs while doing shenanigans he wouldn't be as understanding.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: January 28, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »
It doesn't bother me if it only happens once or twice, but generally every round is delayed due to someone being late. Now, you can solve this in many ways. Instead of basically screwing over the majority of people who sent their stuff on time, you can either skip the person who is late, or post write-up for that song later when it's sent, stand-alone and separate from the rest of the round.

I know in some cases, like with this roulette the participants have been chosen because they won earlier roulettes, but in many cases people want to be a part of the roulette, yet can't find 10 minutes to send a song.  :P

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #365 on: January 28, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »
SENT. SORRY GUYS. I'll just hide away in this little corner here...

(BTW if anyone wants to know why it's because I literally had FIFTY-FIVE drawings I had to do this weekend for class Tuesday, and I'm still working on them. Not to mention papers, work, and getting proper sleep. It's been nuts.)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2013, 12:29:58 AM »
In this case I think it's OK. You put a deadline so people get on with stuff but if they had something important to do then you can be lenient. I'm pretty sure if Heretic had told Rich that he was drunk for the last 72hs while doing shenanigans he wouldn't be as understanding.
For sure, if someone was just being rubbish then I might be harder on them, but if there's serious real life stuff in the way then there's a bit of give.

It doesn't bother me if it only happens once or twice, but generally every round is delayed due to someone being late. Now, you can solve this in many ways. Instead of basically screwing over the majority of people who sent their stuff on time, you can either skip the person who is late, or post write-up for that song later when it's sent, stand-alone and separate from the rest of the round.

I know in some cases, like with this roulette the participants have been chosen because they won earlier roulettes, but in many cases people want to be a part of the roulette, yet can't find 10 minutes to send a song.  :P
I definitely agree with this, and that's what I did with Gorille when he went missing. But in this case, it was the final round that determines who makes the playoffs, so we would have to wait either way. :P

Results coming right up.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Roulette of Champions - round 7 results, pg 11!
« Reply #367 on: January 29, 2013, 12:37:07 AM »
RESULTS – ROUND 7 (MINI-EPIC)

Jingle.boy: Hardline – In the Hands of Time
Rich 2.5 + Other 4.0 = 6.5

Nice song, but nothing that really jumps out at me. I think maybe I’m a bit young, and so with this 80s style of sound, I generally need something that grabs me a bit more, whereas while this was a very nicely done song, it felt quite run of the mill.

Yup, this might be the only 4 I give in the whole roulette. If I could have given higher, I would have. I have a couple musical g-spots; 80's big-hair type rock is one of them. I'm a big Journey/White Lion fan, so this song was already going to score well. Just a great damn song, vocally awesome, guitars fantastic. Outstanding choice.

kingshmegland: Pineapple Thief – Last Man Standing
Rich 3.0 + Other 3.0 = 6.0

I’m somewhat familiar with Pineapple Thief, but don’t have the album that this comes from. It’s a very good song, not the sort of thing I was expecting from this round but it certainly has a big feel, particularly aided by the strings. Think I’ll have to check this album out!

Typically these types of songs don't get much of a reaction from me, but this one moved along well, and I enjoyed it for the most part. Nothing blew me away, but it was a pretty good song.

Marvellous G: John Mayer – If I Ever Get Around to Living
Rich 2.5 + Other 2.5 = 5.0

I know some of Mayer’s stuff, and I’ve always quite liked it, but never really found it anything special. That sort of applies here as well, it’s a nice song, particularly lyrically, but nothing really stands out and grabs me. Plus, I don’t really find it at all “epic” in any sense – it strikes me as very laid back and relaxed.

Ok, so he can play and he can write pretty songs, but he's an arrogant, pretentious shmuck. That shouldn't affect my feelings for the music, and yet it does. On top of that, I find a lot of his stuff is a complete rip-off of decades gone by. Sure you can say that about many, if not most, pop artists, but it just stacks the deck against me liking his music. I can't fault you for submitting it so it scored as it did.

Zantera: Diablo Swing Orchestra – Mass Rapture
Rich 3.0 + Other 3.0 = 6.0

I know DSO pretty well, and although I haven’t listened to the latest album that often, I do know it already, so I have to limit my score. It’s a great track though, suitably bonkers, and a big epic feel. Builds up nicely towards the end as well! I love this sort of dark, quirky music, at least when it’s done well.

What a really neat track. It was odd, but nothing about it bothered me, in fact it got a few listens to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Very much enjoyed.

Ultimetalhead: Floater – 4 Down (A Toast)

Still not totally sold on Floater. I felt the same here as I did the last time you sent me one of their songs – I like it, it’s nice music, but it just seems to lack something. Don’t know if it’s the production, the vocals, what it is, because none of those things are bad, but it just doesn’t grab me as much as I feel like it should. Nice song, but not enough to change my mind about them.

Not as good as some of the other choices this round, but not bad. Pink Floydian in flow and style. Vocals were pretty awful though. I'd hate to think what this guy sounded like live. Still, not bad.

Nekov: Blind Guardian – The Curse of Feanor
Rich 3.0 + Other 2.0 = 5.0

Ok so I know BG very well already, and despite the cheesiness, I really like this album and the one that follows it. I think one thing I love about these albums (that put some people off) is how busy it is. Under the vocals there is loads going on in the guitars, and it’s very intricate. Definitely epic as well. But as with all submissions I’m very familiar with, score is limited to 3. 

I've heard some Blind Guardian before, and it's always the vocals that end up forcing me to shut it off mid-song. He's like Chris de Burgh doing metal. YUCK. And their version of speed/power metal is so all over the place, they really need a singer who can grab me, not push me away. Sadly this song was more of what I've heard. Sorry.

lonestar: Absolute Priority – Dead Man Walking
Rich 2.5 + Other 3.0 = 5.5

Wow, this singer sounds exactly like Geoff Tate used to sound. :lol Not a bad song, some very nice ideas. Assuming they’re a new band, they have a lot of promise. I think they need to refine their sound a bit though, the song built nicely but I didn’t really feel like it was pulling me into it, and did seem to slip into Euro-metal clichés at times.

Starts out slow, but once they "hit it" at about 2:30 in, this song really does turn in to quite the epic. Seems you guys were holding your good stuff for the final rounds. Great soloing in this song, I enjoyed it.

Heretic: Cloudkicker – Oh, God
Rich 2.5 + Other 2.0 = 4.5

These guys have a huge sound. I really like the style, and the epic vibe, but as so often happens with instrumental music, I feel like there needs to be either more going on, or a vocal line. It picks up towards the end with the snazzy guitar part, but for the most part there’s not enough happening to grab my attention. Not bad though!

Oh god is right. This was the last band that I allowed this board to hype-dupe me into checking out. I've heard more inspired car alarms. Sorry, not for me.

The scores after round 7:
kingshmegland - 39
Nekov - 38.5
Heretic - 37.5
lonestar – 37
---------------------
Zantera - 36.5
Ultimetalhead - 36
Marvellous G - 35
jingle.boy – 35

So, a few changes in position, but the top 4 managed to do enough to cling on! Sorry to Jimmy, Justin, Tom and Chad, and thanks for sending some awesome music.

The playoffs will therefore be:

kingshmegland vs lonestar
Nekov vs Heretic

Incidentally, not one person has correctly guessed the mystery judge. :lol Heretic didn’t submit a guess, but an extra point would make no difference to the ranking or the playoff match up, so I’m moving on. I will post more detail about who was guessed at the end of the roulette.

Playoffs Semi-Finals – Open
No theme this time, you just need to impress us more than your opponent in order to make the final! Simple, right?

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #368 on: January 29, 2013, 01:22:37 AM »
KING!!! IT"S ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: January 29, 2013, 02:22:21 AM »
Bah, missed out on it by 0.5 point. Oh well, good luck to the rest of you. :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: January 29, 2013, 04:02:07 AM »
Man I was so unsure of that song when I sent it.. Heretic

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: January 29, 2013, 06:10:36 AM »
Well, at least I blew my load as I went out in all my glory!

So, we were all 0-for on the mystery guest submissions.  hhmmm?  Makes me wonder if I was close, but my deductive reasoning was off?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: January 29, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »
That's fine Chad, your performance was close to your average  :xbones

Sent already.

Rich, is there a chance that the songs will be judged before next Monday? I'm going out on vacation for 2 weeks so I wanna know if I make it to the finals before that happens.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: January 29, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »
That's fine Chad, your performance was close to your average  :xbones

Hey, I do believe I scored the only 4 of the roulette.  I'll put that in my cap, take my toys and go home.

'twas fun.  Eager to find out who the mystery judge is.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #374 on: January 29, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »
Man I was so unsure of that song when I sent it.. Heretic

I actually hope you beat me in this round, you've done really well in the roulette (plus you submit your songs on time!) so it'd be well deserved to see you win the whole thing!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #375 on: January 29, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »
Diego, if everyone submits quickly then results will be quick. Only 4 songs this round!

Chad, you were the only one to get a 4 from my co-judge, but I handed out a 4 earlier on.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: January 29, 2013, 06:59:47 AM »
Diego, if everyone submits quickly then results will be quick. Only 4 songs this round!

Chad, you were the only one to get a 4 from my co-judge, but I handed out a 4 earlier on.

Ahhh.  Well, it would've represented the coming of the apocalypse if I got a 4 from you.  :lol

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #377 on: January 29, 2013, 07:03:41 AM »
Sent my song. No longer can I be deemed "slowest-song-sender."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: January 29, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »
KING!!! IT"S ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't have it any other way!! :metal

Will send on when I get out of work today!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #379 on: January 29, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
No one guessed the judge? Does that include non-participants like myself? I was so sure...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #380 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
Sent yo. King, I got you in my sights.... :alwayswatching:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »
Sent yo. King, I got you in my sights.... :alwayswatching:

I need to fing the Barney from How I met your Mother on with the, "I'm looing at you..." :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: January 29, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #384 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »
No one guessed the judge? Does that include non-participants like myself? I was so sure...

Yeah, I was too.  Wow - now I'm REALLY stumped, because I gave Rich two guesses. ???

Ultimetalhead: Floater – 4 Down (A Toast)

Still not totally sold on Floater. I felt the same here as I did the last time you sent me one of their songs – I like it, it’s nice music, but it just seems to lack something. Don’t know if it’s the production, the vocals, what it is, because none of those things are bad, but it just doesn’t grab me as much as I feel like it should. Nice song, but not enough to change my mind about them.

Not as good as some of the other choices this round, but not bad. Pink Floydian in flow and style. Vocals were pretty awful though. I'd hate to think what this guy sounded like live. Still, not bad.

Okay, as a Floater NUT... first off, IMO, this was not the best song Justin could've sent from the album that the song is from.  There are also MUCH better Floater "mini-epics" from their other albums.  I also have issues with "I'd hate to think what this guy sounded like live."  Um... Rob (their singer/bass guitarist) has blown the doors out of places with a cold AND a sore throat.  4 Down is MUCH better and longer live, but I still think it's a great song.  Just probably not the best song for that round, obviously.

Carry on! :)