Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 577899 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2695 on: November 18, 2014, 04:40:26 AM »
Definitely sounds a lot better than his last few.  Sounding very melodic and energetic, good samples.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: November 19, 2014, 04:30:33 AM »
https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/sweetlynch

new George Lynch, Michael Sweet song.

This is sounding really really good.  This song reminds me of Fifth Angel, and no not because of the song name.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: November 19, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »
I like what I've heard from this project

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:30 PM »

Me too -  Sweet seems to be on a roll with his songwriting at the moment (both Stryper and his latest solo album were very good) and I expect him to bring out the best in Lynch.   Seems to have a bit of a retro feel to it too which is good in my book.

I only realised the other day Lynch has passed 60yo - looking and playing damn good for his age .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2699 on: November 19, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »

Me too -  Sweet seems to be on a roll with his songwriting at the moment (both Stryper and his latest solo album were very good) and I expect him to bring out the best in Lynch.   Seems to have a bit of a retro feel to it too which is good in my book.

I only realised the other day Lynch has passed 60yo - looking and playing damn good for his age .

Agree it's sounding promising. The new Lynch Mob song is ok, but not that exciting tbh and I'm certainly holding out more hope for the Sweet/Lynch. I enjoyed the last LM album though.
George is certainly not sitting around waiting for old age.
https://soundcloud.com/rat-pak-records/lynch-mob-play-the-game

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: November 19, 2014, 04:35:50 PM »
Might have to check some Stryper now.  never really checked them but liking this guys voice.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2701 on: November 19, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
Can't remember if this got posted yet or not.  From Frontiers' FB feed:

Have you checked out the trailer for Level 10's upcoming album, CHAPTER 1 yet? If not, then click the play button below to get the first taste of music from this mind-blowing collaboration between Russell Allen (Symphony X, Adrenaline Mob) and Mat Sinner (Primal Fear)!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_cZvkrJT4&feature=youtu.be

Dat opening riff in Cry No More is pretty nice.

Yup, this is sounding suh-weet!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2702 on: November 19, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Yeah I thought I posted it, or maybe someone else did.  It's sounds solid enough, but nothing mindblowing from the samples.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: November 19, 2014, 09:27:06 PM »
Yeah I thought I posted it, or maybe someone else did.  It's sounds solid enough, but nothing mindblowing from the samples.

I thought so too, but a quick search didn't give me anything. I'm getting old. I forget shit easily.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2704 on: November 20, 2014, 04:16:58 AM »

I thought so too, but a quick search didn't give me anything. I'm getting old. I forget shit easily.

I had a look through a couple of threads and couldn't find anything, what the hell, I'm sure I posted, oh well.  Should still be solid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: November 20, 2014, 04:50:02 AM »
Give me a Stryper album to check out please friends.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2706 on: November 20, 2014, 05:12:01 AM »

It's a couple of pages back. European Adrelaline Mob.

Their last album sounded pretty solid. No More Hell To Pay. For classic Stryper, I'd hit Soldiers Under Command.
You'd probably like them. Not sure if their overall discog has enough teeth to it though.

I actually prefer classic Sacred Warrior. Very Queensryche-ish.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: November 20, 2014, 05:12:30 AM »

For a bit of exposure to their classic stuff perhaps try Second Coming - a fairly recent release of re-records of some of their best old stuff , but with better production.

I mentioned Against The Law in my Top 50 runners up I think .....a bit of filler but the killer is  :tup  I played this stuff to death back in the day.

Try these:

Caught In The Middle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGEY-KUz_FE  (awesome vocal w/JSS on backups...that outro  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy )
All For One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5hYZaCYhDs
Rock The Hell Out Of You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w62H39wyxQ

Their most recent release No More Hell To Pay has a few good cuts on it too.

Te Amo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atbbwoUwrqY
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:21:10 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2708 on: November 20, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »
No More Hell to Pay and Second Coming is an outstanding starting point. Plus their classics To Hell with the Devil and Soldiers Under Command. Their most recent live release "live at the whiskey" is an awesome release.

Nice to see a mention of the unknown Sacred Warrior- great QR sounding band. Another similar SW/QR sounding band is Recon. They only released one album, "behind enemy lines" , but it's awesome.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »
Press kit for Revolution Saints -   Jack Blades, Doug Aldrich, Deen Castronovo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOKjuLhUkKs&feature=youtu.be

Not sure about this one.  Huge potential but just hope it's not too "nice" like recent Night Ranger.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2710 on: November 21, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »
How does a guy with a voice like that end up as a drummer? And a pretty fine one too.

Sounds decent. Probably a bit polished but the musicianship makes a difference. The drumming sounds killer.

It's a shit name for a band though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2711 on: November 21, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »

Too close to Revolution Renaissance for my liking.  And then I start thinking about Tolkki, and get all rage-y and shit.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2712 on: November 21, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »

Too close to Revolution Renaissance for my liking.  And then I start thinking about Tolkki, and get all rage-y and shit.

I was thinking Utah Saints... yuk

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: November 21, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »

Not sure about this one.  Huge potential but just hope it's not too "nice" like recent Night Ranger.

It sounds okay.  Another Frontiers standard project worth a listen.  I never thought when Doug left Whitesnake though he would be involved in a Frontiers project.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:56:09 PM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2714 on: November 21, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
Man, these Stryper tracks are pretty damn good. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2715 on: November 21, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »

It sounds okay.  Another Frontiers standard project worth a listen.  I never thought when Doug left Whitesnake though he would be involved in a Frontiers project.

No one played it safe on this?
I really hope so, but the EPK it sounds like pretty standard melodic rock by the numbers.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2716 on: November 22, 2014, 05:17:49 AM »

I was hoping for more of a Whitesnake-y straight up hard rock kind of thing from these guys. It's sounding a bit too typical Frontiers put-together Journey clone from the samples.
But from these guys, I'll be picking up the album either way. But it doesn't seem it will be what I was expecting.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: November 23, 2014, 03:55:03 AM »
Picked up No More Hell to Pay as it was sitting on the shelves while I was out shopping this weekend.  I've listened to the first half, and I'm really liking what I'm hearing.  It's just simple, no frills, yet well written and performed rock, and great songs.  The production IMO isn't the greatest but for some reason it fits the style and the songs.  Reminds me a bit of Dokken, which isn't a bad thing.  Good purchase it seems.

For a Christian band too, the lyrics seem fine.  If I didn't know they were a Christian band, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell based on these lyrics, besides the Doobie cover, which is great BTW.  Were their lyrics on older albums more promintent in the religious department.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2718 on: November 23, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
Picked up No More Hell to Pay as it was sitting on the shelves while I was out shopping this weekend.  I've listened to the first half, and I'm really liking what I'm hearing.  It's just simple, no frills, yet well written and performed rock, and great songs.  The production IMO isn't the greatest but for some reason it fits the style and the songs.  Reminds me a bit of Dokken, which isn't a bad thing.  Good purchase it seems.

For a Christian band too, the lyrics seem fine.  If I didn't know they were a Christian band, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell based on these lyrics, besides the Doobie cover, which is great BTW.  Were their lyrics on older albums more promintent in the religious department.

They were very clever with the lyrics. Alot of them could be taken as love song material if you didn't know God was involved.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2719 on: November 23, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
Definitely a band that should be right up your alley, Wolf.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2720 on: November 23, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »

They were very clever with the lyrics. Alot of them could be taken as love song material if you didn't know God was involved.

I think I can handle that.  I actually got that vibe from some of these songs.

Definitely a band that should be right up your alley, Wolf.

Yeah, I'm quite enjoying this album.  Might have to check out more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: November 23, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »
Also, I gotta say I'm quite impressed by the guitar on here too.  Great solos.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2722 on: November 23, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »
Did you like the tracks from Against The Law??   Very under rated IMO.

Re the guitars , if you see them live you'll be surprised how much of it is Michael Sweet.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: November 23, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »
Wolf check out Second Coming (great re recording of classics) and The Covering (great cover album)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2724 on: November 24, 2014, 04:32:16 AM »

Re the guitars , if you see them live you'll be surprised how much of it is Michael Sweet.

All three of those songs you posted were really good.

Wolf check out Second Coming (great re recording of classics) and The Covering (great cover album)

Gonna look for some more of their stuff on the weekend.  I'll probably get whatever I can find to be honest.  I love when bands re-record their stuff, usually always works well.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2725 on: November 24, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »

All three of those songs you posted were really good.

Gonna look for some more of their stuff on the weekend.  I'll probably get whatever I can find to be honest.  I love when bands re-record their stuff, usually always works well.

Apart from the Geoff Tate rerecords on FU...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: November 24, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
Yes, and also Ten's horrific best of re-records.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: November 24, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
I hear that Karlsson has just given Tolkki the ok to re-record the first few Allen/Lande disks to bring them up to date  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: November 24, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
I hear that Karlsson has just given Tolkki the ok to re-record the first few Allen/Lande disks to bring them up to date  ;D

You actually got me there for about half a second.  My heart rate just went through the roof.  :lol

Karlsson redoing Tolkki on the other hand.......

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2729 on: November 24, 2014, 05:15:26 PM »
I was doing odds on the reply I'd get from you and the favourite was "Don't even joke about that shit man "   ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au