Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 570818 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2625 on: November 04, 2014, 07:12:47 AM »
New Mr Big is pretty fuckin shit.

I didn't mind it but it's not great. Some clunkers on there, but I was in a bit of a bluesy frame of mind a few weeks back.

While not exactly shit I find it very underwhelming. Can't see myself going back to this one often.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2626 on: November 04, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »
Just got my hands on an advance copy of Ten's newie (due for release 21/11 )   :hat..............will report back

I've been waiting for any sort of samples or songs to pop online.  For an album that is released in 2 weeks, it's strange that not a second of audio from it can be found online.

Waiting anxiously for your opinions.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2627 on: November 04, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
It's weird, I click play but I can't hear anything.

https://myspace.com/swingofdeath/music/albums

Try this one? Works for me. To be honest you're not missing a great deal... It's a bit Rocky Horror Show  :omg:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2628 on: November 04, 2014, 04:28:22 PM »
OK...........the new Ten album "Albion."

I've now had 3 listens , which in itself is a good sign as I rarely go back for 2nds or 3rds immediately for a new release these days.  First impression was to be very impressed - on 2nd and 3rd listens I've knocked down the ratings on a few songs but overall I'm still quite impressed.

It's early days but I think I can say that it sits comfortably in the 2nd tier of Ten albums along with stuff like The Robe , Spellbound and Far Beyond The World.   The writing is strong (although I did pick up a recycled chorus melody in a song that otherwise would've been killer) , the playing is strong and the production is one of their better efforts.   The sound quality certainly doesn't detract in the way it did on albums like The Robe.   Speaking of The Robe it does have that same sort of epic feel as that album , if not quite to the same extent.

There's nice diversity in the songwriting and Gary Hughes has really put in one of his better efforts here - there's even some sort of operatic toon half sung in Italian which I thought would be a disaster but is actually pretty decent.

The one drawback that I'm feeling is that in the end it's a bit mid paced and missing just one ballsy rocker in the vein of The Name Of The Rose , High Tide, Fear The Force etc........which would've just topped the album off.

Favourite Track: Battlefield

Initial Rating : 89%  (= 110% on mr.com :D )
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:44:13 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2629 on: November 04, 2014, 05:04:19 PM »
That's a good rating coming from you Brent.  Looking forward to this one.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2630 on: November 04, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »
That's a good rating coming from you Brent.  Looking forward to this one.

:iagree:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2631 on: November 05, 2014, 05:30:30 AM »
The one drawback that I'm feeling is that in the end it's a bit mid paced and missing just one ballsy rocker
I've never listened to Ten, but here's the one statement that scares me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: November 05, 2014, 05:32:56 AM »
You're in the wrong thread dude  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2633 on: November 05, 2014, 05:33:36 AM »
You're in the wrong thread dude  ;D
Right, of course! :facepalm: :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: November 06, 2014, 11:43:37 PM »
I just heard that in addition to Whitesnake , Joel Hoekstra has two thirds finished an album with Tony Franklin, Vinnie Appice and Russell Allen.  Could be interesting.

Further to this little rumour from a while back - full lineup has been announced:

The lineup is:
Russell Allen - vocals
Joel Hoekstra - guitar
Vinny Appice - drums
Tony Franklin - bass
Derek Sherinian - keyboards
Jeff Scott Soto - background vocals

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2635 on: November 07, 2014, 04:56:41 AM »
That'll definitely be worth checking out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2636 on: November 07, 2014, 05:25:38 AM »
Finally some Ten samples.  First few sound nice, melodic and smooth.  Sounds like Stormwarning to me though, which is a good thing.

https://www.melodicrock.com/

EDIT:  Holy shit, Gary Hughes and the rip off machine strikes again.  Check track 5. lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2637 on: November 07, 2014, 05:30:20 AM »
Finally some Ten samples.  First few sound nice, melodic and smooth.  Sounds like Stormwarning to me though, which is a good thing.

EDIT:  Holy shit, Gary Hughes and the rip off machine strikes again.  Check track 5. lol

I actually didn't pick it the first time around , but the verse vocal melody got me thinking.  You thinking Whitesnake (Looking For Love ) ?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: November 07, 2014, 05:33:04 AM »

I actually didn't pick it the first time around , but the verse vocal melody got me thinking.  You thinking Whitesnake (Looking For Love ) ?

Absolutely.  It's a dead ringer.  Pricked my ears right away.  Gary loves his rip off.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2639 on: November 07, 2014, 05:34:41 AM »
He could have at least ripped off a good Whitesnake song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: November 07, 2014, 05:36:10 AM »
He could have at least ripped off a good Whitesnake song.

That's my fav song on 1987.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2641 on: November 07, 2014, 05:37:06 AM »
So apparentely, the unknown lead singer of Vinny Burns Three Lions album this year has scored himself a solo record deal. 

Solid enough tune though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6ThVSNaiM

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: November 07, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »
Should have known this forum would be backwards. :lol It's the clunkiest clunker on the album, perhaps the only clunker.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2643 on: November 07, 2014, 05:39:15 AM »
My taste and Blob's are often so close in terms of styles and bands but favourite songs/albums are almost never close  ;D

I really like Looking For Love too - didn't realise it existed for years and years as I owned the US version since '87 and didn't find out for a very long time about the extra tracks on the Euro one.

The only track I used to skip on that was Children of the Night.   Decent tune but struck me as the odd one out in terms of songwriting quality..  I prefer both of the add-on tracks to that.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2644 on: November 07, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
The only track I used to skip on that was Children of the Night.   Decent tune but struck me as the odd one out in terms of songwriting quality..  I prefer both of the add-on tracks to that.

This for me too.  Good song, but doesn't grab you as much as everything else, and feels too long.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2645 on: November 07, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
Should have known this forum would be backwards. :lol It's the clunkiest clunker on the album, perhaps the only clunker.
You're the backwards weirdo, not us. :loser:

I'd probably go for Children of the Night as least favourite aswell.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: November 07, 2014, 05:53:02 AM »
Children of the Night is a cool song. Not one of the absolute best, but a lot better than whats-his-face Looking For Love. I can't say I've ever gotten through the whole song.

You're the backwards weirdo, not us. :loser:

In the real world, this forum is the backwards one. DTF lives in bizarro world or something. :lol I've never heard anyone even mention Looking For Love when discussing that album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2647 on: November 07, 2014, 05:58:11 AM »
Children of the Night is a cool song. Not one of the absolute best, but a lot better than whats-his-face Looking For Love. I can't say I've ever gotten through the whole song.

You missing out on the amazing climax at the end.  Sykes rips on this.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2648 on: November 07, 2014, 09:57:59 AM »

Those songs aren't bad .......not sure if I'll like it enough to buy but JLT is always a fairly safe bet.   Certainly better than the shithouse Mothers Army stuff I spent a fortune on back in the day.

Well I went ahead and got the Rated X album and tbh it's about as good as I expected - nice, solid rock and roll and not much more.  It has a bit of a Deep Purple/Rainbow vibe in parts with the Hammond etc..and it's always cool to hear new JLT stuff , but it's nothing I haven't heard him do a million times (and better) already.  Decent but nothing special about it IMHO.

I rate it X out of XIV   :P

So 71 % .

Today was a big day for new releases to listen to.........also Crazy Lixx , Nightingale,Pink Floyd, Heart (live) etc..

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2649 on: November 07, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »

Absolutely.  It's a dead ringer.  Pricked my ears right away.  Gary loves his rip off.  :lol

:lol
There's at least one every album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: November 07, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
What do you think of the Ten Paul?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2651 on: November 07, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »
What do you think of the Ten Paul?

Liked it at first listen. The Whitesnake copy was a bit blatant though  :biggrin:

Very impressed with the In Faith though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2652 on: November 07, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »
The In Faith is certainly a good album - I didn't rate it quite as high as the Ten though.

I've heard the In Faith compared to D2 , Def leppard and Harem Scarem (well Harry Hess does backgrounds so.....) but to me , aside from the HS sound in a few choruses,  the moments where I was thinking "geez this sounds like......"  it was Winger I had in mind.    Not the whole album , just a few tracks with the opener being a prime example.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2653 on: November 08, 2014, 03:41:48 AM »
The In Faith is certainly a good album - I didn't rate it quite as high as the Ten though.

I've heard the In Faith compared to D2 , Def leppard and Harem Scarem (well Harry Hess does backgrounds so.....) but to me , aside from the HS sound in a few choruses,  the moments where I was thinking "geez this sounds like......"  it was Winger I had in mind.    Not the whole album , just a few tracks with the opener being a prime example.

I certainly hear Def Lep in the vocals (lead and background). Not saying its better than the Ten - I've played it 3 times now as opposed to Ten once.
Not hearing Winger myself - Winger always had a bit of a proggier edge to their sound even on the 1st album. I don't hear that at all here, it's pretty formulaic but good.
Also just arrived is the Robby Valentine album. I've got a couple of his albums - he's a talent and interesting for fans of Queen as he bases his whole thing on their early sound. A couple of wierd tracks but up to his usual standard. Those backing vocals! He's no Freddie though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: November 08, 2014, 04:33:58 AM »
I was referring more to the vocal than the music - to my ears he does a pretty good Kip Winger on a few of the songs.

I too have the Valentine , but haven't listened as yet.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2655 on: November 09, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »
So Mark Boals is the new bassist for Dokken?
Really?
https://bravewords.com/news/dokken-enlist-mark-boals-as-new-bassist

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2656 on: November 09, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »
Really?

From the interview
 As you see on the internet, people go, ‘I saw Dokken and the harmonies were awesome.’

Shame about the leads then...  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2657 on: November 09, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »
Really?

New lead vocalist more like it , with Don providing "harmonies".

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: November 09, 2014, 03:08:25 PM »
Ahh....I suppose that could count as ninja'd  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2659 on: November 09, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
Ahh....I suppose that could count as ninja'd  ;D
It sure as hell does! :lol