Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 176644 times)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum
« Reply #1750 on: November 15, 2023, 05:24:21 PM »
Man, that really makes me reminiscent.  First, just extra footage from that making of I watched a number of times back then.  And then secondly, when Damnation came out one of my first memories of it was putting "Hope Leaves" on after finishing a final exam, walking out of the building into a light rain, and eating a Reese's fast break bar.  A memory probably permanently seared into my mind. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1751 on: November 15, 2023, 07:09:25 PM »
My favorite lineup of the band. Lopez is just one of the smoothest drummers I have ever seen. He makes it look so effortless. I so enjoy just watching him play.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1752 on: November 15, 2023, 07:11:43 PM »
My favorite lineup of the band. Lopez is just one of the smoothest drummers I have ever seen. He makes it look so effortless. I so enjoy just watching him play.

Agreed - it's one of the reasons the performance on the Lamentations DVD is so good.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1753 on: November 16, 2023, 01:19:27 AM »

IMO he's the perfect drummer for the post-2010 retro-prog era of Opeth too. Just has the right flavour.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1754 on: November 16, 2023, 05:17:43 AM »
Lopez is fantastic. He managed to always create unique and memorable parts. His performance on Ghost Reveries is among my all time favorites.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1755 on: February 16, 2024, 09:14:14 PM »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1756 on: February 20, 2024, 03:16:21 AM »
I was wondering when the time for a new Opeth album would come. Cauda came out almost 4 1/2 years ago.

BTW I love how Anderson talks about Opeth like they’re a newcomer in the prog scene  :lol “they’re Swedish”, hilarious.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1757 on: February 20, 2024, 03:21:19 AM »
I was wondering when the time for a new Opeth album would come. Cauda came out almost 4 1/2 years ago.

BTW I love how Anderson talks about Opeth like they’re a newcomer in the prog scene  :lol “they’re Swedish”, hilarious.

You'd be surprised to know how many professional musicians actually have no interest in the general music landscape. A surprisingly small number of them are actually up to date on what's goes on in the industry. I.e. MP is an outlier when it comes to being that dialled in.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president
  • james labrief and mike portnoy friendship simp
« Reply #1758 on: February 20, 2024, 12:10:53 PM »
saw this thread got bumped and got excited for some news lol

ICV remains their best post-Watershed record (IMO) very excited for where they go from here
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana

RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01

Offline Kram

« Reply #1759 on: February 20, 2024, 12:14:21 PM »

ICV remains their best post-Watershed record (IMO) very excited for where they go from here
I would agree with this - with Pale Communion a close second.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1760 on: February 20, 2024, 12:25:06 PM »

Eternal Rains Will Come is still one of my favourite album openers. Amazing track.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1761 on: February 20, 2024, 03:00:56 PM »

Agree with both

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1762 on: February 20, 2024, 08:33:39 PM »

You'd be surprised to know how many professional musicians actually have no interest in the general music landscape. A surprisingly small number of them are actually up to date on what's goes on in the industry. I.e. MP is an outlier when it comes to being that dialled in.

And I don't know much about Ian's tastes, but if he was the type who didn't like harsh vocals, Opeth wouldn't even have been something to interest him at all until a bit over a decade ago.