Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568688 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2590 on: October 19, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »
Oddly, except for Kiske, I do not follow that circle of musicians whatsoever.

No Primal Fear?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2591 on: October 19, 2014, 11:20:01 PM »
Oops wrong thread  :blush

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2592 on: October 20, 2014, 01:39:01 AM »

Not a Magnum fan TAC?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2593 on: October 20, 2014, 05:15:41 AM »

*takes notes for TAC roulette*
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2594 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:23 AM »

Looks like you got some homework bro.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2595 on: October 20, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »
I do have a two or three Primal Fear albums. I don't really spend a lot of time with them though.

I am not into Magnum. Never really checked them out, tbh. Seem a little light.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2596 on: October 20, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
I do have a two or three Primal Fear albums. I don't really spend a lot of time with them though.

I am not into Magnum. Never really checked them out, tbh. Seem a little light.

That's fair I guess, certainly more rock than metal but Storyteller's Night and Wings of Heaven are great albums. Thinking about it, neither made my top 50 - I knew I'd miss something. Worth a listen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2597 on: October 20, 2014, 12:54:42 PM »
Catley has a great voice. After hearing him in Avantasia, I think I sampled a couple of randon youtube  tracks but nothing really stood out.
But they have been around awhile, and I'm sure they have some quality music in their catalog. I've just never really crossed paths with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: October 24, 2014, 06:33:37 AM »
Another Rated X song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yg9U1bg-wU

This is really cool shit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2599 on: October 24, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »
I didn't like this one quite as much as the first, but I'm still really digging the style. I can't wait for this one.

And also, lyric videos are a pox.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: October 24, 2014, 06:47:45 AM »
I thought it was slightly better than the first track, but difference in opinion here is no surprise.   :lol

And also, lyric videos are a pox.

Now this I can agree with.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2601 on: October 24, 2014, 06:49:41 AM »
I thought it was slightly better than the first track, but difference in opinion here is no surprise.   :lol

Eh, they were both good, and that's only after one listen of each, so that's a tentative opinion at best for now. :tup
For now let's just focus on the fact we're both anticipating the same album. Then later on we can bicker when you no doubt like the exact opposite tracks to the ones I do. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2602 on: October 24, 2014, 07:18:14 AM »
Lyric vids drive me mad too - most of the time it just makes me realise how super lame the lyrics are and that ruins the listening experience.  I normally take very little notice of lyrics.

Those songs aren't bad .......not sure if I'll like it enough to buy but JLT is always a fairly safe bet.   Certainly better than the shithouse Mothers Army stuff I spent a fortune on back in the day.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: October 24, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »
Lyric vids drive me mad too - most of the time it just makes me realise how super lame the lyrics are and that ruins the listening experience.  I normally take very little notice of lyrics.

Yeah same.  I rarely even bother looking at the lyrics anymore.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: October 27, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »
New Neonfly track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmiMP8zwyKs

Decent song.  Criminally underrated band.  They've toured with Magnum, Pagan's Mind, and H.E.A.T. in the past.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
New Neonfly track.

Decent song.  Criminally underrated band.  They've toured with Magnum, Pagan's Mind, and H.E.A.T. in the past.

Sounds promising.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2606 on: October 28, 2014, 05:14:46 AM »
New Neonfly track.

Meh, it's okay.  Nothing I've heard from this band has really wowed me though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2607 on: October 28, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »
Their debut wow'd the fuck out of me.  I hope this track isn't indicative of the album, as I think everything on the debut is better than this. It was decent, but not as good as I expect from them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: October 29, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
From Magnus K's FB feed today:

and the dreamteam for FREE FALL II starts with the one and only JORN LANDE!

Oh.  Hell.  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This will make up for the abomination that Tolkki left us with - which, on principle alone I am refusing to listen to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: October 30, 2014, 04:20:25 AM »
Oh motherfucker yes.  He should just only get Jorn and Russ to sing on his new solo album.  That would fuck Tolkki off.  :lol  Seriously, this is gonna be amazing.  I hope we see this by mid next year.

Chad, the new Allen Lande is slightly better than the Avalon stuff but not by much.  There's no way I'm spending any money on it, and after I listened to it once, I have had no urge to listen to it again.  Screw you Tolkki.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: October 30, 2014, 05:17:53 AM »
Oh motherfucker yes.  He should just only get Jorn and Russ to sing on his new solo album.  That would fuck Tolkki off.  :lol  Seriously, this is gonna be amazing.  I hope we see this by mid next year.

That would be so magnificent.

Chad, the new Allen Lande is slightly better than the Avalon stuff but not by much.  There's no way I'm spending any money on it, and after I listened to it once, I have had no urge to listen to it again.  Screw you Tolkki.

I think I came to the realization that, on principle alone, anything less than spectacular is going to put me into rage mode.  I always knew it would be sub-par, and for a time was ok with that.  But now, it's just going to piss me off, and I don't want to risk tarnishing what I love and adore about the original trilogy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2611 on: October 30, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
I have no problem with your feelings at all.

I listened to the Revenge after I listened to the Great Divide and the difference was just shocking.  Lucky I didn't listen to the Battle after it or else I probably would have cried, that's how disappointing this new album is, and yes you are right, it totally tarnishes the magic and brilliance of the project.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2612 on: October 31, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »
https://www.metalkaoz.com/metal-news/14493-jorn-landes-dracula-swing-of-death-artwork.html

Cover to the new album from Jorn and Trond Halter (Teeny from WigWam and guitarist on Jorn's last album). No samples yet. Dracula concept album? Could be ...complete shite. We'll have to wait and see.  :lol
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:47:37 AM by Lowdz »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: October 31, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »
https://www.metalkaoz.com/metal-news/14493-jorn-landes-dracula-swing-of-death-artwork.html

Cover to the new album from Jorn and Trond Halter (Tiny from WigWam and guitarist on Jorn's last album). No samples yet. Dracula concept album? Could be ...complete shite. We'll have to wait and see.  :lol

I thought I saw something in my FB feed this morning about Dracula & Jorn, but dismissed it because it seemed a little odd.  Could be interesting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2614 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:53 PM »

Cover to the new album from Jorn and Trond Halter (Teeny from WigWam and guitarist on Jorn's last album). No samples yet. Dracula concept album? Could be ...complete shite. We'll have to wait and see.  :lol
Dracula?

Well Heavenly's great Dust To Dust album was about a vampire and Iced Earth's Dracula was easily the best song on Horrorshow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2615 on: October 31, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »

Traveller was a step back in the right direction.  Trond seems like a decent fit for Jorn.  This could have potential.  I just hope it being under a different banner means that the musical direction will be a bit different.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: October 31, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »
New Mr Big is pretty fuckin shit.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2617 on: October 31, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »
New Mr Big is pretty fuckin shit.

I didn't mind it but it's not great. Some clunkers on there, but I was in a bit of a bluesy frame of mind a few weeks back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: October 31, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
I really like the new Work of Art, but that's just me.  It's actually a little different in flavour compared to the first two and it's surely nothing new.  Robert Sall just knows how to write good solid 80's style AOR.

On another note, the new Vega album is friggin awesome.  Cracking melodic rock all the way through.  I highly recommend it.  Here's a couple of tracks.  THere's not many songs on the album from youtube to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RixrYocEwOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXm9w2C0x8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8vALKQODUs

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: October 31, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
Interesting..........it's (Vega) getting bagged over at mr.com which is where I'd expect all the love to come from.  But then they like the new Allen/Lande  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2620 on: November 01, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
I really like the new Work of Art, but that's just me.  It's actually a little different in flavour compared to the first two and it's surely nothing new.  Robert Sall just knows how to write good solid 80's style AOR.

On another note, the new Vega album is friggin awesome.  Cracking melodic rock all the way through.  I highly recommend it.  Here's a couple of tracks.  THere's not many songs on the album from youtube to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RixrYocEwOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXm9w2C0x8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8vALKQODUs

Andrew gave the WoA the 99% score on Melrock.com. He is easily pleased with the pink and fluffy stuff though. I just struggle when everything sounds so nice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: November 02, 2014, 03:55:58 AM »
Interesting..........it's (Vega) getting bagged over at mr.com which is where I'd expect all the love to come from.  But then they like the new Allen/Lande  ;D

Really?  I can't find reviews for either of those albums on mr.com, but I can't say anything bad about Vega really.  They are becoming one of my top melodic rock acts period.  This album is fantastic.  It's better than the WOA too.

I tried to listen to the Allen Lande again and I skipped through most of it.  Absolute garbage.  I also noticed that the title track is a Jorn only track, which is so fucking stupid considering the title tracks of the other three.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2622 on: November 03, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
So, regarding the Jorn/Trond Ho;ter Dracula thing, it seems Trond has been working on this for a few years now and there is some samples on Myspace. Hmm, can't really hear Jorn ssinging this so it must be drastically reworked. Very camp.

https://myspace.com/swingofdeath/music/song/swing-of-death-56809980-61691860

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: November 04, 2014, 04:13:07 AM »
It's weird, I click play but I can't hear anything.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: November 04, 2014, 06:07:33 AM »
Just got my hands on an advance copy of Ten's newie (due for release 21/11 )   :hat..............will report back

www.theguitardojo.com.au