Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568765 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2660 on: November 10, 2014, 04:04:24 AM »
This is pretty funny news.  Broken Bones was practically a duet between the two so I guess it makes sense. lol  but surely, considering how good of a vocalist Mark is, he must cringe when Don sings, seriously.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2661 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
Finally some Ten samples.  First few sound nice, melodic and smooth.  Sounds like Stormwarning to me though, which is a good thing.

https://www.melodicrock.com/

EDIT:  Holy shit, Gary Hughes and the rip off machine strikes again.  Check track 5. lol

I actually didn't pick it the first time around , but the verse vocal melody got me thinking.  You thinking Whitesnake (Looking For Love ) ?

It's almost exact. Every time I hear it I'm waiting for the wide vibrato'd pinched harmonics - a good job Vinny Burns isn't on the album or that'd be there too  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: November 10, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
Finally some Ten samples.  First few sound nice, melodic and smooth.  Sounds like Stormwarning to me though, which is a good thing.

EDIT:  Holy shit, Gary Hughes and the rip off machine strikes again.  Check track 5. lol

I actually didn't pick it the first time around , but the verse vocal melody got me thinking.  You thinking Whitesnake (Looking For Love ) ?

It's almost exact. Every time I hear it I'm waiting for the wide vibrato'd pinched harmonics - a good job Vinny Burns isn't on the album or that'd be there too  :biggrin:

Yeah, those two lines or so are basically identical.  You can always count on Gary to wear his influences on his sleeve.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2663 on: November 10, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »

Yeah, those two lines or so are basically identical.  You can always count on Gary to wear his influences on his sleeve.

It dpesn't help that he delivers the lines in his best Coverdale impression too.
Good album though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2664 on: November 12, 2014, 04:01:43 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2665 on: November 12, 2014, 04:05:43 AM »
So sad to lose him to something so tragic and avoidable.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2666 on: November 12, 2014, 04:06:25 AM »
Holy shit!!  I don't think anyone would have expected this;

https://www.melodicrock.com/articles/news-feed/2014/11/12/jimi-jamison-autopsy-results-published

Yeah..........would've thought he was the epitome of the clean living rock star.  Sounds like he was due for some serious heart trouble either way , but certainly a shock to see what likely triggered it all.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2667 on: November 12, 2014, 05:29:57 AM »
Just checked out the new Rated X album. Kind of average rock, and I had trouble getting through any of it because the drumming was so dreadful it made Lars Ulrich sound good. Was he drunk when he recorded these drum tracks?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2668 on: November 12, 2014, 05:47:41 AM »
Just checked out the new Rated X album. Kind of average rock, and I had trouble getting through any of it because the drumming was so dreadful it made Lars Ulrich sound good. Was he drunk when he recorded these drum tracks?

Agreed - pretty average stuff.    JLT makes it listenable but that's about it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: November 12, 2014, 05:49:45 AM »
Yeah, JLT is always good from what I've heard of him. Drums aside, it's listenable stuff, but I've got so much great stuff already in that genre, that merely listenable isn't worth the time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2670 on: November 12, 2014, 06:13:50 AM »
So sad to lose him to something so tragic and avoidable.

Makes me so sad to read that. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: November 12, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
I like the idea of Allen singing this more straight ahead metal but , after listening to the samples, I'm not convinced that the songs are going to be anything special .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2673 on: November 12, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »
After hearing the samples, I am convinced they are NOT anything special.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: November 12, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
TAC, what bet did you lose with this Winger shit?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2675 on: November 12, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »
TAC, what bet did you lose with this Winger shit?

This board is run by Nazis!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2676 on: November 12, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2677 on: November 12, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
:lol

Love it ... need a new avatar though.  I nominate

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: November 14, 2014, 04:46:50 AM »
https://www.melodicrock.com/articles/showcase/2014/11/14/harem-scarem-thirteen-showcase

Harem Scarem samples.  Only a 38 minute album.

To be honest, I can't hear the brilliance of the new 3 songs we heard on Mood Swings 2.  This sounds just like later Harem Scarem.....hmmmmm....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: November 14, 2014, 04:51:48 AM »
100%  ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2680 on: November 14, 2014, 04:53:55 AM »
100%  ;)

I'm thinking at least a 98%.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2681 on: November 14, 2014, 05:38:43 AM »
https://www.melodicrock.com/articles/showcase/2014/11/14/harem-scarem-thirteen-showcase

To be honest, I can't hear the brilliance of the new 3 songs we heard on Mood Swings 2.  This sounds just like later Harem Scarem.....hmmmmm....

I started to listen to the first song sample, pretty good.  Sounds pretty similar to most of their 2000s stuff, which was really good.  Definitely not going to expect the brilliance of Mood Swings - that'll only set me up for disappointment - and I think they caught lightning in a bottle with the three original tracks from MS II. 

If I compare against the Rubber years, or Voice of Reason, I'm sure to be impressed. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2682 on: November 14, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »

I started to listen to the first song sample, pretty good.  Sounds pretty similar to most of their 2000s stuff, which was really good.  Definitely not going to expect the brilliance of Mood Swings - that'll only set me up for disappointment - and I think they caught lightning in a bottle with the three original tracks from MS II. 

If I compare against the Rubber years, or Voice of Reason, I'm sure to be impressed.

I like the last few HS albums, though some were better than others. Mood Swings is a very good album but I don't love it - it's not the be all/end all for me. I heard a couple of the later albums first (Weight of THe World and Higher), then the debut, before MS.
I'm sure it will be fine. And yes, Melodicrock.com will give it 100%.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: November 14, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »

I'll need something better if we have to compare it to their weaker stuff.  For some reason over the last 12 months, I have been harder to impress with a lot of stuff in general.  I'm not into giving albums the benefit of the doubt as much anymore, they need to be really good, or I'll move on for the most part.

I was expecting songs in the vein of the new Mood Swings, but I guess that's not going to be the case.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: November 14, 2014, 04:29:37 PM »
For some reason over the last 12 months, I have been harder to impress with a lot of stuff in general.  I'm not into giving albums the benefit of the doubt as much anymore, they need to be really good, or I'll move on for the most part.

You're kidding right?  You just posted Work Of Art's new album in the listening thread.  That's powder puff rock if I ever heard it.   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2685 on: November 14, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »
For some reason over the last 12 months, I have been harder to impress with a lot of stuff in general.  I'm not into giving albums the benefit of the doubt as much anymore, they need to be really good, or I'll move on for the most part.

You're kidding right?  You just posted Work Of Art's new album in the listening thread.  That's powder puff rock if I ever heard it.   :lol
It's called maturing.  :) I've had trouble parting with money this year on a ton of stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: November 14, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »

Hey, what can I say, it impresses me.  :lol

It's called maturing.  :) I've had trouble parting with money this year on a ton of stuff.

This.  With the amount of cd's I have, I just don't see the point of laying down money on albums I know that I will play once or twice and store away.  Stuff like the new Slipknot and Machine Head would have been stuff I would have jumped on as soon as it was released without even thinking.  But instead, I listened, thought meh, knew they wouldn't stick and moved on, therefore, saving $40.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: November 14, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
Wolf sounds like your 12 month treatment at the music addictions centre is working

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: November 14, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
Well, I'm still a music-whore, so many things get purchased without hesitation.  There are probably a dozen or so bands that fall into that category - Harem being one of them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2689 on: November 16, 2014, 02:42:33 AM »
Wolf sounds like your 12 month treatment at the music addictions centre is working

It's working like a charm but I don't even remember checking in.  :lol

Well, I'm still a music-whore, so many things get purchased without hesitation.  There are probably a dozen or so bands that fall into that category - Harem being one of them.

Me too, but my cut off is set at a much higher standard of band.  Saying that, I will probably still purchase this new Harem cd.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: November 16, 2014, 08:36:43 AM »

It's working like a charm but I don't even remember checking in.  :lol

Me too, but my cut off is set at a much higher standard of band.  Saying that, I will probably still purchase this new Harem cd.

You've relapsed!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2691 on: November 16, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »
He can stop anytime he wants. No, really..

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: November 16, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »
Intervention!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: November 17, 2014, 04:42:33 AM »
I have tightened up my spending a lot guys, I promise, I haven't relapsed.  :lol

Even though I expect more from HS, I don't mind some of their later stuff, which means I'll still buy this cd.  Bands like this I'll buy more easily than bigger mainstream bands, just to try and support them.  Except Timo Tolkki.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2694 on: November 17, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »