Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 573004 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2870 on: December 23, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
I think I know why I never got into Crazy Lixx. Just having a listen to New Religion and it's quite shit IMO.  They really stepped things up with the new album.

LOL

Sorry, not New Religion, I meant Riot Avenue.  I haven't checked out New Religion yet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2871 on: December 23, 2014, 08:38:38 PM »
I think I know why I never got into Crazy Lixx. Just having a listen to New Religion and it's quite shit IMO.  They really stepped things up with the new album.

LOL

Sorry, not New Religion, I meant Riot Avenue.  I haven't checked out New Religion yet.

Oh that's fine then. I didn't like Riot Avenue either. It's a run of the mill sleaze rock GNR clone, a definite step down from New Religion imo. New Religion has a much better balance of melody, while keeping the hard edge.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2872 on: December 24, 2014, 02:41:00 AM »
Yeah, it was as generic and forgettable as sleaze rock can get.  Will let you know how I go with New Religion.  Really enjoying this new one though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2873 on: December 24, 2014, 03:21:29 AM »
I just got the new one, and have only given it one listen so far. It's back to the style of New Religion, so I think you'll enjoy that one too.
Based on the first listen, I don't think this one is as strong as new Religion, and the choruses felt somewhat familiar, but it's definitely a huge step back in the right direction, and I'll definitely be giving it more listens. Plenty of cool songs on there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: December 24, 2014, 03:31:04 AM »
I do think with this album, even though I like it, the songs all seem a bit samey.  It's all pretty strong too, but there's definite songs a lot stronger than others.  Girls of the 80's and Call to Action are superb songs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: December 24, 2014, 04:04:24 AM »
I got a bit of a sameyness by the end, but even the samey stuff is pretty enjoyable. Girls of the 80's was one of my favourites on first listen. The chorus of Heroes are Forever sounds very reminiscent of Blame It On Love from New Religion.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2876 on: December 24, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
I got a bit of a sameyness by the end, but even the samey stuff is pretty enjoyable. Girls of the 80's was one of my favourites on first listen. The chorus of Heroes are Forever sounds very reminiscent of Blame It On Love from New Religion.

I prefer new Religion. Th e production was better. There's not alot of variety in the sound of this one. Its good though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2877 on: December 24, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »

I prefer new Religion. Th e production was better. There's not alot of variety in the sound of this one. Its good though.

Since they're both mixed by Chris Laney, I think they both sound equally good. I think I might slightly prefer the production on the new one, but I'm splitting hairs here. Sounds a tad less compressed, and a bit more audible bass. A bit less crunchy and more produced, which may be why you prefer New Religion.
I agree there's less variety on this one, but I'm still enjoying it all, which I can't say for Riot Avenue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2878 on: December 24, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
Had a listen to New Religion and it's very enjoyable.  Gonna get some repeat spins.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2879 on: December 27, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
So Santa brought me Stryper Live At The Whiskey. What an awesome live album!!! They sound incredible. I am very impressed. It's killer.

With some Amazon $$ I ordered No More Hell To Pay.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2880 on: December 27, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »
Go $75.00 of Amazon cars and my head is spinning on what to get.  Too many on the list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2881 on: December 27, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
Go $75.00 of Amazon cars and my head is spinning on what to get.  Too many on the list.

If I may make a recommendation:
https://www.amazon.com/Dennis-DeYoung-Music-Styx-Angeles/dp/B00MJFQ382/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1419702053&sr=1-1&keywords=Dennis+deyoung

Check out the setlist. The band is TIGHT and his guitarists look just like Shaw and JY. The Shaw guy has an awesome voice and is great singing the Shaw songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2882 on: December 28, 2014, 03:39:01 AM »
So Santa brought me Stryper Live At The Whiskey. What an awesome live album!!! They sound incredible. I am very impressed. It's killer.

With some Amazon $$ I ordered No More Hell To Pay.

You will not be disappointed.

This weekend while I was out I picked up Against the Law and Murder By Pride.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2883 on: December 28, 2014, 04:51:19 AM »

If I may make a recommendation:
https://www.amazon.com/Dennis-DeYoung-Music-Styx-Angeles/dp/B00MJFQ382/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1419702053&sr=1-1&keywords=Dennis+deyoung

Check out the setlist. The band is TIGHT and his guitarists look just like Shaw and JY. The Shaw guy has an awesome voice and is great singing the Shaw songs.

There's something that rubs me wrong with DD.  How he handed himself with the STYX breakup left a sour taste in my mouth.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2884 on: December 31, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »

Since they're both mixed by Chris Laney, I think they both sound equally good. I think I might slightly prefer the production on the new one, but I'm splitting hairs here. Sounds a tad less compressed, and a bit more audible bass. A bit less crunchy and more produced, which may be why you prefer New Religion.
I agree there's less variety on this one, but I'm still enjoying it all, which I can't say for Riot Avenue.

I'll agree with you there. RA was poor.
It's true, I do love a crunchy guitar sound.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2885 on: January 01, 2015, 03:36:05 AM »

Calvin6s

« Reply #2886 on: January 05, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »
There's some pretty cool interviews with producers here

https://thedoublestop.com/

The Max Norman one was really good (Ozzy, Lynch Mob, Megadeth etc.....) especially the story of the issues with Oni Logan and how he had to use retuned and re-timed demos to complete the recording.

Looking forward to Beau Hill next.

I just found this place via the Jeff Pilson interview and I agree completely.  This Jeff Pilson interview is great and really walks down the history of Dokken in particular.  I haven't decided on the next podcast I will listen to because there are so many, but if they are half as good as this Pilson interview, this will essentially be my radio station at my desk for quite a few hours.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2887 on: January 05, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
New TMac song.  This is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6YHJv87zRY&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, I like that. A bit of a return to the Neo-Classical style of the 1st 2 albums. The version of Tears Of Sahara from the same shoot is great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: January 05, 2015, 03:28:58 PM »
New TMac song.  This is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6YHJv87zRY&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, I like that. A bit of a return to the Neo-Classical style of the 1st 2 albums. The version of Tears Of Sahara from the same shoot is great.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this new one.  Yeah, I've seen that Sahara clip as well, pretty good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2889 on: January 12, 2015, 04:37:38 AM »
New Jorn;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Gme_E8ZWk

Sounds a bit more lively than his last few.  Hopefully the album delivers.  The instrumental section is a direct Gary Moore rip though.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2890 on: January 12, 2015, 04:40:38 AM »
I'm going to be interested to see the reaction this Dracula thing of his gets here.  I haven't heard anything but I've come across 4 or 5 reviews and the views vary from "absolute crap" to "classic".
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: January 12, 2015, 04:46:35 AM »
Sounds like a Jorn project.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: January 12, 2015, 04:50:52 AM »

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: January 12, 2015, 04:55:43 AM »
 ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: January 12, 2015, 04:59:08 AM »
Sounds like a Jorn project.

It is.

You know what I mean. :lol It's Jorn being Jorn.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2895 on: January 12, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »
New Jorn;

Sounds a bit more lively than his last few.  Hopefully the album delivers.  The instrumental section is a direct Gary Moore rip though.

Definitely sounds a lot more interesting than anything Jorn has done for a while.
Not sure about the Gary Moore rip off though.
Sure it is a little reminiscent of Over The Hills and Far Away/Blood of Emeralds, but more of a generic Moore/Thin Lizzy Celtic vibe than anything.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2896 on: January 12, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »
New Jorn;

Definitely sounds a lot more interesting than anything Jorn has done for a while.
Not sure about the Gary Moore rip off though.
Sure it is a little reminiscent of Over The Hills and Far Away/Blood of Emeralds, but more of a generic Moore/Thin Lizzy Celtic vibe than anything.

The section at 3:46 sounds like something Gary's done before but I can't palce it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2897 on: January 12, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
What's with that face he keeps making? :lol

I like it. I will likely get this. I'm not even a big Jorn guy.

That guitar solo gave me goosebumps. Very Gary Moore inspired.
Was actually listening to After The War last night.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2898 on: January 12, 2015, 03:02:48 PM »
What's with that face he keeps making? :lol

I like it. I will likely get this. I'm not even a big Jorn guy.

That guitar solo gave me goosebumps. Very Gary Moore inspired.
Was actually listening to After The War last night.

I was spinning that a couple of weeks back, really good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2899 on: January 15, 2015, 03:29:05 PM »
Jorn/Halter track is good. I've said it before but he certainly sounds better when you can't see him.  :biggrin:

It's in that tempo range he's stuck in again. Catchy though. And yes that's Gary Moore circa Wild Frontier right there. Luckily I love that Celtic sound with a heavy guitar.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: January 20, 2015, 04:34:17 AM »
New Eclipse;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r453Xtjn6bA

Even though I loved Bleed and Scream, there's really not much doing here.  Sounds pretty much exactly the same with no variation.  I'm sure I'll dig it, but Martensson seems to be running a bit dry.  Perhaps another Toby Hitchcock album is in order?

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: January 20, 2015, 04:35:48 AM »
That's the weird thing about Martensson - his own band bores me to tears aside from a few tracks and yet he has done much better material with Hitchcock and Jamison.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: January 20, 2015, 04:55:14 AM »
That's the weird thing about Martensson - his own band bores me to tears aside from a few tracks and yet he has done much better material with Hitchcock and Jamison.

And his other stuff is much more varied whereas Eclipse just seems so samey with more one dimensional songwriting.  Frustrating when you know the man is capable of so much more. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: January 23, 2015, 04:32:33 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: January 23, 2015, 05:14:52 AM »
Oh FFS Melodic Rock. :lolpalm: Total ass kissing review of zero value. Who can even take these reviews seriously?